St Mary's - What we might expect to see happen (and possibly announced soon)...

Matthew Le God

Saturday is going to see a club all time record attendance of over 32,300

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10280~2748960,00.html

Coventry will be the 8th game this season with over 30,000 fans at St Mary's and will average circa 27k by the end of the season. Very good for a club in the 2nd tier.

Only 19 games at home in the Premier League, Saints had 8 over 30k matches in the 2nd tier. Games next season if promoted will obviously be a lot more attractive to the fanbase.

So we've only sold out for 2/3s of our games this season and 2/3s of our capacity is our average. Thanks for proving we dont need to exand based on current attendances as i have often stated.

So we've only sold out for 2/3s of our games this season and 2/3s of our capacity is our average. Thanks for proving we dont need to exand based on current attendances as i have often stated.

You need to go back to school if you think 27k/32k is 2/3s -its actually 84% - 2/3s would be 66%. back of the classs

You need to go back to school if you think 27k/32k is 2/3s -its actually 84% - 2/3s would be 66%. back of the classs

He might be dyslexic. And you think it's ok to call dyslexic people thick. Jeez this place never ceases to dismay me.

Saturday is going to see a club all time record attendance of over 32,300

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10280~2748960,00.html

Coventry will be the 8th game this season with over 30,000 fans at St Mary's and will average circa 27k by the end of the season. Very good for a club in the 2nd tier.

Only 19 games at home in the Premier League, Saints had 8 over 30k matches in the 2nd tier. Games next season if promoted will obviously be a lot more attractive to the fanbase.

What's your point?

Apologies with our 26,149 average it's actually 80% boosted no doubt by the fact it's "currently the greatest time ever to be a saints fan" no doubt. only 6,000 empty seats to fill regularly then.

Apologies with our 26,149 average it's actually 80% boosted no doubt by the fact it's "currently the greatest time ever to be a saints fan" no doubt. only 6,000 empty seats to fill regularly then.

In case you hadn't noticed, Saints are in the 2nd tier. 26k is the 2nd tier is very good.

If Saints were...

- in Italy it would be the 7th highest in Serie A

- in Spain it would be the 9th highest in La Liga

- in France it would be the 4th highest in Ligue 1

- in the English Premier League it would be the 12th highest

That is all whilst playing Championship clubs with Championship players on show for Saints. Put Saints back in the highest profile and richest league in world football and you will see a big increase.

Edited by Matthew Le God

In case you hadn't noticed, Saints are in the 2nd tier. 26k is the 2nd tier is very good.

If Saints were...

That is all whilst playing Championship clubs with Championship players on show for Saints.

Occasionally... And I MEAN, occasionally, your analism is actually quite handy. I have always thought we would be around them sort of figures abroad, but I've never given that much of at rats rear end to look that far into it.

So MLG, I thank you.

Regards,

SSOTN

If Saints were...

That is all whilst playing Championship clubs with Championship players on show for Saints.

If Saints were a rugby club playing in the Super league we'd have the biggest attendance in the country. What's your point? We arent in Italy, Spain or France.

If Saints were a rugby club playing in the Super league we'd have the biggest attendance in the country. What's your point?

Saints as a 2nd tier club rank between 4th and 12th in some of the biggest leagues in European football. Put Saints back in the most high profile league in the world and have a team of Premier League players of their own for fans to cheer on and they will rise a lot higher.

When you put it like that it'll be a piece of pee. We averaged 20,982 in 2009/10 in League One, with this season's 26,149 in the Championship you're clearly illustrating there are about 6,000 people who want to watch football in a division higher. Fat segregation will take care of the wet fannies, whatever that means.

Saints as a 2nd tier club rank between 4th and 12th in some of the biggest leagues in European football. Put Saints back in the most high profile league in the world and have a team of Premier League players of their own for fans to cheer on and they will rise a lot higher.

You have still no evidence that there is anything we 'might expect to see happen' and for that matter, no evidence that something could be 'possibly announced soon'. You're all for stats, well look at it this way. Barcelona had 72% possession in BOTH games of the semi-finals, they still didn't go through. Possession is useless unless you do something with it.

If anything, Reading have proved that attendances are worth **** all when they can barely sell out the Madejski yet want to expand their stadium.

You can do all the analysis and bring up all the stats you want. There is nothing to suggest we should expect anything or we should wait for a announcement coming up soon.

You have still no evidence that there is anything we 'might expect to see happen' and for that matter, no evidence that something could be 'possibly announced soon'. You're all for stats, well look at it this way. Barcelona had 72% possession in BOTH games of the semi-finals, they still didn't go through. Possession is useless unless you do something with it.

If anything, Reading have proved that attendances are worth **** all when they can barely sell out the Madejski yet want to expand their stadium.

You can do all the analysis and bring up all the stats you want. There is nothing to suggest we should expect anything or we should wait for a announcement coming up soon.

/\ crazy diamond speaks for me.

Why have you dismissed what Cortese has said publicly and privately as "no evidence"? You might not believe it, but it is still evidence.

Why have you dismissed what Cortese has said publicly and privately as "no evidence"? You might not believe it, but it is still evidence.

No, I've said this before to you. He never said 'expect to hear something about stadium expansion in the future'. He said he had thought about it, or something to that effect. By the way, if he's said something privately, how do you know about it? Another one of these fabled things he's said over dinner? Speculation.

/\ crazy diamond speaks for me.

I'm honoured.

No, I've said this before to you. He never said 'expect to hear something about stadium expansion in the future'. He said he had thought about it, or something to that effect.

Listen to it again.

By the way, if he's said something privately, how do you know about it? Another one of these fabled things he's said over dinner? Speculation.

Numerous people over a number of Saints forums have backed up each others version of what has been said. It may not be true, but it is still "evidence" and you said there was "no evidence".

Listen to it again.

I must have missed the part where he said we're definitely going to expand, and that we have all evidence to hand that we need a much bigger stadium. Could you paraphrase exactly what he said in this regard for those of us that didn't catch it?

Numerous people over a number of Saints forums have backed up each others version of what has been said. It may not be true, but it is still "evidence" and you said there was "no evidence".

If ten people said that the sun didn't rise or set yesterday, does that mean it didn't happen?

You're not a Bill James, Paul DePodesta or a Billy Beane. Stats are not the be all and end all.

You're the one who started a thread with 'what we might expect to see happen (and possibly announced soon)' when the truth is, there is NOTHING to suggest either. Nothing.

The Cortese interview in which he said they had looked at options for the stadium both then and in the future is NOT evidence that we 'might expect to see happen (and possibly announced soon)'.

I must have missed the part where he said we're definitely going to expand, and that we have all evidence to hand that we need a much bigger stadium.

Quite.

Yep I admit you are totally right - on those championship figures there is absolutely no requirement for a larger stadium.... cant fault your argument on that account. But I doubt NC will base go/nogo decison on feasibilty on those figures, indeed he would be stupid to do so. I suspect, given his rep for having a reasonable business brain, he will closely monitor how attendences average in a higher division - I suspect he will be interested in the fact they might be higher and although all games will probably not sell out, he will probably look at the potential attendence at gold level games.

Then he will place that into perspective of his other plans - probably with his data and other feasibilty reports, conceptual business plans etc in the pot marked 'growth and sustainability'

I have feck all idea what's in that pot, but lets assume he has a growth strategy and he is not just talking out his arse when it comes to the hints about his 'big plans' for the club.

If that plan includes an investmnet plan to have us be more competitive in the top half of the prem, possibly in The UAFA tin pot, he will asses, the likelihood of interest from fans - how many could we sell for thsoe top games? 30k, 35k, 40k v Man U or the Arse? who knows, we dont, we dont ahve data on how many are turned away from Saints v Man U... but lets assume that's the sort of data he would look to get over the next season or 2...

So is he getting closer to a feasinbilty study? well all I would say is that you dont NEED to sell 40k week in week out - you just need to sell out enough times in a season based on top games to ensure the incraese in total revenue covers the cost of investment - I didn't do an projective sums on this, and it may well prove to be impossible/stupid etc... but IFthe projections demonstrated that it WAS possible, then it leads to another question: the cost. This is increasing year on year so you dont wont to leave such a plan too late, nor do it too early...

Quite simple, easy to understand in my book.

...and naturally having a big feck off stadium tells the world what a big club we are to... build it now FFS

50k attendance doesn't necessary mean more atmosphere as we have seen by some of the nearly full attendances at St Marys. I am not sure what the rush is to increase the capacity. So long as I can get my season ticket and get in, see good football and support my team.

I dont need another 20k odd fans to tell me that we are a great club. now I am aware that bigger attendances will bring more revenue, more profits and so better opportunity for better players it will also mean worse congestion on roads in pubs in stadium etc.

Let's enjoy improving and building on the team we have, as I read somewhere else isn't it great to not have those hanger ons and journey men looking for a last pay day

It depends on your definition of evidence. I wouldn't usually be so pedantic but for you I'll make an exception. What you are stating is hearsay and usually hear say cannot be submitted as evidence.

It depends on your definition of evidence. I wouldn't usually be so pedantic but for you I'll make an exception. What you are stating is hearsay and usually hear say cannot be submitted as evidence.

My point exactly. One I've already made, in fact.

Also I think it's worth pointing out that new training ground facilities are one thing, expansion of a stadium is quite another. I think certain people have got a bit carried away.

The Cortese interview in which he said they had looked at options for the stadium both then and in the future is NOT evidence that we 'might expect to see happen (and possibly announced soon)'.

What is it then? Evidence that we "can never expect to see happen (and definitely not announced soon)"??

...and naturally having a big feck off stadium tells the world what a big club we are to... build it now FFS

Sunderland have had a 49,000 seater stadium for quite some time now. They have never finished higher in the Premier League than 7th; one place higher than our best ever finish.

Just saying, like....

My point exactly. One I've already made, in fact.

Also I think it's worth pointing out that new training ground facilities are one thing, expansion of a stadium is quite another. I think certain people have got a bit carried away.[/QUOT]

Crazy Diamond speaks for me as well then.

What is it then? Evidence that we "can never expect to see happen (and definitely not announced soon)"??

No you're absolutely right, in as much as he said we would never do it, he also said we would do it soon, should expect it soon, should see an announcement soon.

As in, he didn't do any of that.

Crazy Diamond speaks for me as well then.

What a day this is turning out to be! Guys, you flatter me.

Sunderland have had a 49,000 seater stadium for quite some time now. They have never finished higher in the Premier League than 7th; one place higher than our best ever finish.

Just saying, like....

..well has any club with 32k seats ever finished in the top 5? see obviously the bigger stadium the more successful you are - logic innit FFS buld it now Cortese!

If ten people said that the sun didn't rise or set yesterday, does that mean it didn't happen?

What a strange analogy!

- The entire population is a witness to the sun rising and setting.

- The entire population was not at the fans dinners.

- The fans dinners definetely occur, club spokesman Jordan Sibley has tweeted about them.

- Sibley even followed and replied to people on Twitter who claim to have gone.

- More than one person has recalled such statements about Cortese's plans for expansion, what have they got to gain by making it up?

- Why is that not "evidence"?

Edited by Matthew Le God

..well has any club with 32k seats ever finished in the top 5? see obviously the bigger stadium the more successful you are - logic innit FFS buld it now Cortese!

Maybe we should build an 80,000 seat stadium then. We'll definitely win the league using that criteria.

What a strange analogy!

- The fans dinners definetely occur, club spokesman Jordan Sibley has tweeted about them.

- Sibley even followed and replied to people on Twitter who recalled what Cortese said about expanding to 45k.

- More than one person has recalled such statements, what have they got to gain by making it up?

You're still saying that if a number of people over a number of forums said something then suddenly it has to be true. You are in fact, wrong.

And it depends how far you want to go back, but yes, they have. Palace and Norwich both came third back in the early 90s. Ipswich I believe finished fifth too. Those are just off the top of my head, I can't be arsed to look in any more depth. But the simple answer is yes; yes they have.

You're still saying that if a number of people over a number of forums said something then suddenly it has to be true. You are in fact, wrong.

Did you not read what I said? I didn't say it was true, all I said was there is "evidence" which may be right or wrong but it is still evidence. You said there was "no evidence".

What a strange analogy!

- Sibley even followed and replied to people on Twitter who claim to have gone.

- More than one person has recalled such statements, what have they got to gain by making it up?

Just been through this, because it is hearsay.

Pure and simple,

Just been through this, because it is hearsay.

Pure and simple,

Did you not read what I said? I didn't say it was true, all I said was there is "evidence" which may be right or wrong but it is still evidence. You said there was "no evidence".

There still isn't any evidence. You're wrong.

Yep I admit you are totally right - on those championship figures there is absolutely no requirement for a larger stadium.... cant fault your argument on that account. But I doubt NC will base go/nogo decison on feasibilty on those figures, indeed he would be stupid to do so. I suspect, given his rep for having a reasonable business brain, he will closely monitor how attendences average in a higher division - I suspect he will be interested in the fact they might be higher and although all games will probably not sell out, he will probably look at the potential attendence at gold level games.

Then he will place that into perspective of his other plans - probably with his data and other feasibilty reports, conceptual business plans etc in the pot marked 'growth and sustainability'

I have feck all idea what's in that pot, but lets assume he has a growth strategy and he is not just talking out his arse when it comes to the hints about his 'big plans' for the club.

If that plan includes an investmnet plan to have us be more competitive in the top half of the prem, possibly in The UAFA tin pot, he will asses, the likelihood of interest from fans - how many could we sell for thsoe top games? 30k, 35k, 40k v Man U or the Arse? who knows, we dont, we dont ahve data on how many are turned away from Saints v Man U... but lets assume that's the sort of data he would look to get over the next season or 2...

So is he getting closer to a feasinbilty study? well all I would say is that you dont NEED to sell 40k week in week out - you just need to sell out enough times in a season based on top games to ensure the incraese in total revenue covers the cost of investment - I didn't do an projective sums on this, and it may well prove to be impossible/stupid etc... but IFthe projections demonstrated that it WAS possible, then it leads to another question: the cost. This is increasing year on year so you dont wont to leave such a plan too late, nor do it too early...

Quite simple, easy to understand in my book.

I didn't read most of what you said as as usual I got bored after about 3 lines but if you are saying there is no evidence that we don't need to expand now but might in the future if we can sell out regularly in the premier league for a couple of seasons then I agree and is exactly what I've said all along.

That is the point. Let's see what happens on Saturday before getting carried away.

Bit late for that. Apparently we might expect to see stadium expansion and it will possibly be announced soon because we've sold out the odd game and might be a Premier League team after Saturday. Oh and because we've got work being carried out at the training ground, which is directly linked to the possible expansion of the stadium, and the players that play in the stadium.

There still isn't any evidence. You're wrong.

So when a court uses eye witness accounts, it is not evidence? Remember you are the one that said "no evidence" what so ever.

Are you saying these fans dinners don't happen, even though the club spokesman has confirmed that they do?