St Mary's - What we might expect to see happen (and possibly announced soon)...

Matthew Le God

This "luxury" of having tickets that only hard up people can afford that Frank loves to talk about....I am still waiting to hear how you stop people that could afford to pay more from buying them?

ie - how can this idea not devalue the entire stadium?

It can't.

You only have to notice the uproar seen on here in seasons past, from ST holders when SFC tried discounting individual match tickets. It led to an attitude of "well if they're going to consistently reduce the price, there's not a lot of point in me paying up front for a season ticket that in reality doesn't actually save me that much/any money."

well, seeing as we won't be building anything this summer...I guess, (if any of this is remotely true) the next season will give us a great indication or whether to whack 6-8k seats on the kinds land.

And that's the whole point; we wimply have ot wait and see if it will be commericially viable. It may well be, or it may well not be, but one thing is absolutely certain: right now we have no idea one way or the other.

well, seeing as we won't be building anything this summer...I guess, (if any of this is remotely true) the next season will give us a great indication or whether to whack 6-8k seats on the kinds land.

It should show an increase in ticket sales, but I think it's fair to say that there's as much chance that sales in the 2nd or 3rd season in the Prem could decrease as there is that they could increase, as the initial novelty of being in the Prem will wear off with some people. I still expect the club will want to evaluate things over a couple of years before pushing ahead with plans. Unless they really are just going to throw lumps of money at this with a relatively "Who cares if it doesn't work out?" attitude.

And that's the whole point; we wimply have ot wait and see if it will be commericially viable. It may well be, or it may well not be, but one thing is absolutely certain: right now we have no idea one way or the other.

right now is a bit daft.....mainly because nothing is going to happen right now..

if we stay up...and have many many sellouts (which is probably going to happen)....then you could not really argue the case against not expanding SMS to say 38k....and no, I doubt they will think twice if we fail to sell out against wigan...

It should show an increase in ticket sales, but I think it's fair to say that there's as much chance that sales in the 2nd or 3rd season in the Prem could decrease as there is that they could increase, as the initial novelty of being in the Prem will wear off with some people. I still expect the club will want to evaluate things over a couple of years before pushing ahead with plans. Unless they really are just going to throw lumps of money at this with a relatively "Who cares if it doesn't work out?" attitude.

that is true...the old 2nd season syndrome........I can't see it happening next summer...maybe the summer after should we secure prem status again

It can't.

You only have to notice the uproar seen on here in seasons past, from ST holders when SFC tried discounting individual match tickets. It led to an attitude of "well if they're going to consistently reduce the price, there's not a lot of point in me paying up front for a season ticket that in reality doesn't actually save me that much/any money."

And they / we were entirely right! Mind you, some people reckon Nicola doesn't want us to buy / sell season tickets anyway but that's a completely different discussion!

This "luxury" of having tickets that only hard up people can afford that Frank loves to talk about....I am still waiting to hear how you stop people that could afford to pay more from buying them?

ie - how can this idea not devalue the entire stadium?

... Becouse you are underestimating what varying the demographics wnat from their 'match day experience' - we accomodate this now, the 'ard lads in the NOtham that want cheap seats, stand and cheap beer, the familiy enclosures, and the psudo middleclass, 40somethings like with bad back that wants the best view and seat - which is why I always went for teh the Itchin centre most expensive ST rather than the cheaper Northam. The hypothesis of what I have spent countless posts trying to get acorss is IF we get to the point where demand is such that you could charge the 'Itchen rate' thorughout the ground and still sell out, you are then in a position where expansion would allow INCREASE revenue AND/BUT allow for reintroduction of a broader pricing band.

There are many innovativ pricing models that to date football has not considered, and yes there are certain rules regarding discounts etc, but in part its mosty restricted because of the need to ensure ST prices remain the best value over a season - However there ARE alternative approaches that can be looked at ...IN FUTURE

I think so planning wise yeh

There's no harm in applying for planning right now. I'd be somewhat surprised if SFC hadn't already completed at least preliminary designs on a possible expansion; in fact I'd be surprised if this hadn't have happened a year or two ago.

There are several projects in the pipeline to encourage supporters to arrive earlier/stay later and spend extra cash at the stadium. There will without doubt be an average gate of over 30k next season and probably at least 10+ sell outs, season ticket sales i would think 22k+.

If all is going to plan this time next season then stadium expansion/relocation will either be firmly on the drawing board or even dare i say it "actually proceeding" ;).

No need for expansion/relocation, but hey dont most of us want that bigger/nicer house or flashier/better car and dont most of us want to get that better job/promotion. YES!

So most of us actually try to improve ourselves in various different ways (working harder/smarter, learning, saving, DIY, etc) in order to achieve what we want. Thats exactly what the club ar trying to do, improve themselves across the board in order to achieve it's goals.

So No, there is no need for expansion/relocation but my opinion is that the club will be wanting this as part of achieving it's goals :p.

Once again you're getting excited and lapsing into a "build it and they will come" mode.

Where is the commercial sense in building a whole new row of corporate boxes when, last season, we failed to sell half of the ones we currently have? If not boxes, then what other revenue-making schemes should the expansion encompass?

Firstly I'm not getting excited but just trying to second guess NC. I don't know what other commercial schemes may work. Maybe shops like the megastore where tennents have to pay rent. This would protect the stadium expansion by bringing in money even when attendances are not that high and on non match days. I don't know if expanding is viable but if NC is talking about it then there must be something in it.

Problem is Charlie, that the 'opposition' are quiterightly suggesting that selling 38k at a rate that does not add significantly to to revenue than 32k at a higher rate is a false economy given the cost of creeating those extra seats etc... logical if looked at in that simple way

Deamnd can be looked at in a number of ways - what is the actual demand based on who wants to go and can afford to go, and the potential demand based on who wants to go but cant afford to go

So increasd capacity allows you the luxury of developing a pricing model that ensures you can create at least some seats to bring in those who cant afford the higher price created by limited supply at a smaller stadium. IF THERE IS SUCH A SITUATION IN THE FUTURE

I would not be surprised to see some innovative club introduce a 'easyJet' pricing model in future for certain games and parts of the ground. We have seen empty seats at many prem clubs of late so there are many factors to consider, but to dismiss the ideas simply based on the current demand seems if anything naive

The key is that the running costs of the 38,000 seat St Marys would be little different from todays 32,000 stadium. Thus (provided you can regularity fill them) each individual seat is significantly cheaper to fund, much more profitable, and a decent return on the investment required to expand the stadium is surely just a matter of time. On your airline analogy, the cheapest airliner (per seat/mile) to operate is not some little Turboprop, such as we see flying over St Marys every game, but the huge Airbus A380 - the so called 'Economy of Scale' argument.

It seems to me very possible that investing in a larger St Marys could prove to be a decent business idea in the long term as long as you are prepared to accept the inherent gamble that we can maintain our Premier League status. However, there are deep structural problems relating to the profitability of the whole English game that also need to be addressed as a matter of some urgency.

But that's another heated debate.

I have to say I'm loving the Easyjet price model. Its perfect for football stadiums.Maybe it could work something like this

£15 gets you access into the stadium. Yo can only stand in the concourse though

To see the pitch it's an extra £7

For a seat for the first half it's an extra £12

For a seat for the whole game an extra £20

To sit next to a friend an extra £25

Sounds perfect to me.

If Saints say they're interested in getting people to arrive earlier and leave later on game days, why on earth did they get rid of the concourse post-match events this season? We used that every time it was open last season as a way of having a quick drink, check out the table, see the man of the match etc before deciding whether we were going on somewhere or going home. It was never dead, but if it wasn't making money then they're going to have to come up with something pretty special to draw people in post-match next season.

I have to say I'm loving the Easyjet price model. Its perfect for football stadiums.Maybe it could work something like this

Sounds perfect to me.

If you want to check in a novelty wig at the turnstile, it's an extra £48.

If you want to check in a novelty wig at the turnstile, it's an extra £48.

Good call. Additional charges for giant foam hands, jester hats and wigs. They take up

More space so these people should expect to pay more. Easyjet structure me up.

Sounds perfect to me.

Or we could be sheep and do what every other club do. The owners of a championship/league one club are to build a 15m training facility. That's crazy as the other clubs at that level aren't doing it. However we seem to be trying to do things differently to make this club as good as it possibly can be for its size. I think if NC is looking to expand then we should be backing him and not moan about reasons why it's not worked for other clubs. Turkish are you a lion or sheep :)

Sounds perfect to me.

How much for a slash?

But the club simply have to be certain that it will be commercially viable to do so. [sNIP] To expand right now given those benchmarks doesn't make business sense.

But I don't think you can ever be certain in this context: confident maybe, but not certain. The impression I get from the club is one of confidence and of a plan unfolding, even if some of us can suggest improvements to how they operate. They will no doubt have their own criteria for progressing on stadium re-development and I'm sure that a lot of planning has already taken place. I don't think it's a question of a number of years with full crowds: I'd think they'd come to a quicker decision than that given that they have a lot more information at their disposal as well as a firm idea of where they're headed. They might say "go" as soon as we're safe for a second season in the premiership assuming a certain level of sales. They might be looking at the number of people on the database and saying "if we can increase visits by .25 a season" or whatever. We just don't know, but I don't think we should be as dismissive as some of the other posters on this thread.

Should be interesting either way. I don't want to jinx our promotion chances but as an overseas fan over on holidays in August I'm already thinking about how to get tickets for the early games next season.. Let's hope it's a less glamorous club, eh?:-)

Firstly I'm not getting excited but just trying to second guess NC. I don't know what other commercial schemes may work. Maybe shops like the megastore where tennents have to pay rent. This would protect the stadium expansion by bringing in money even when attendances are not that high and on non match days. I don't know if expanding is viable but if NC is talking about it then there must be something in it.

OK, so you think we should do something to increase commercial revenue, but can't say what. Fair enough.

Kind of puts in into perspective that its a lot more difficult than just saying "make more money", doesn't it. This is why its a massive decision (and perhaps gamble) on whether to expand. There's not a huge amount else that can be done with football stadia. They can't be converted into the next West Quay. A lot of clubs have tried having bars/restaurants incorporated into the stadiums, but it really hasn't gone much further than that. and you have to feel that's because a number of club owners have done cost-benefit analyses and worked out where the main revenue streams are. Its not as if there's some invisible untapped market just waiting for us to tap into it.

OK, so you think we should do something to increase commercial revenue, but can't say what. Fair enough.

Kind of puts in into perspective that its a lot more difficult than just saying "make more money", doesn't it. This is why its a massive decision (and perhaps gamble) on whether to expand. There's not a huge amount else that can be done with football stadia. They can't be converted into the next West Quay. A lot of clubs have tried having bars/restaurants incorporated into the stadiums, but it really hasn't gone much further than that. and you have to feel that's because a number of club owners have done cost-benefit analyses and worked out where the main revenue streams are. Its not as if there's some invisible untapped market just waiting for us to tap into it.

But we are already doing things differently to other clubs at our level. Why stop at the stadium. I'm no expert on stadium development so I won't start saying what I think is possible just to be shot down. NC has a plan.

How much for a slash?

£6 or £15 to use the priority toilets. Same price for priority queuing for beers and food and priority exit gate as well. Will also solve the problem of people going downstairs on 40 for a p*ss and leaving on 85 minutes to beat the traffic. I sense marketing campaign. Add the priority bundle to your ticket price to avoid queues for toilets, refreshments and exits and ensure you never miss a minute of the game because you're stuck in a queue. All for the amazing discounted price of only £32 on top of your match ticket. SFC - not being sheep.

Edited by Turkish

£6 or £15 to use the priority toilets. Same price for priority queuing for beers and food and priority exit gate as well. Will also solve the problem of people going downstairs on 40 for a p*ss and leaving on 85 minutes to beat the traffic. I sense marketing campaign. Add the priority bundle to your ticket price to avoid queues for toilets, refreshments and exits and ensure you never miss a minute of the game because you're stuck in a queue. All for the amazing discounted price of only £32 on top of your match ticket. SFC - not being sheep.

This would definitely offer flexibility to those people who couldn't otherwise afford to have a slash at the stadium. Those new people would all get to have a slash for free of course. Anyone who bothered to have a slash during the Exeter games in L1 we don't need to be flexible for of course. They'll be paying the full eight quid.

Yep, i'm in. ;) I think NC needs to invite you aboard the bus, you clearly are a commercial guru.

This would definitely offer flexibility to those people who couldn't otherwise afford to have a slash at the stadium. Those new people would all get to have a slash for free of course. Anyone who bothered to have a slash during the Exeter games in L1 we don't need to be flexible for of course. They'll be paying the full eight quid.

The ultimate would be to pay for someone to go take a slash for you, hey maybe we could set up a company and promote it at all stadiums 'easyslash' :lol:

The ultimate would be to pay for someone to go take a slash for you, hey maybe we could set up a company and promote it at all stadiums 'easyslash' :lol:

And before any of you ask, No i won't being employing men to go take a slash for women in the ladies. ;) or vice versa!

It would work as long as they offer a pin badge to purchasers of the priority package, or some other little thing which could be worn, so that said purchaser could proudly display the fact that they had paid for the priority package. We could have a goer here. Let's high five and pitch the club.

Not really, Cortese has mentioned expansion in press interviews and at fans dinners.

If that's your idea of concrete fact then I wonder about you, though to be honest, I do anyway.

To my mind, unless it's in writing from an official source, it's little more than hearsay. The interviews you mention, as I recall, consisted of something on the BBC in which he mentioned in passing that they had thought about it, and didn't rate the current stadium due to its location. But hey, you being you, I suspect you'll be bringing up the link with the quotes in it. Don't bother. I don't care.

As for the dinners, you're going on what someone else has said. THAT is speculation.

If that's your idea of concrete fact then I wonder about you, though to be honest, I do anyway.

To my mind, unless it's in writing from an official source, it's little more than hearsay. The interviews you mention, as I recall, consisted of something on the BBC in which he mentioned in passing that they had thought about it, and didn't rate the current stadium due to its location. But hey, you being you, I suspect you'll be bringing up the link with the quotes in it. Don't bother. I don't care.

As for the dinners, you're going on what someone else has said. THAT is speculation.

Hmmmm are you seriously say the we shouldn't speculate on here. Ok time to shut the threads about the coventry game or the west ham leicester game as that is just speculation. This thread is about what ifs. What's wrong with that?

Hmmmm are you seriously say the we shouldn't speculate on here. Ok time to shut the threads about the coventry game or the west ham leicester game as that is just speculation. This thread is about what ifs. What's wrong with that?

Where did I say that we shouldn't speculate? Go on, point it out to me.

Try properly reading next time.

A thread of complete speculation, abuse and very few facts.

SaintsWeb maintaining it's impeccably high standards once again.

Ok you never said we shouldn't speculate, but please explain what you meant here if that was implied???

This is the last time I'm going to respond to you. It's getting silly now, and frankly, I don't really care if you agree or not.

That quoted text you have replied with is a statement, devoid of any tone. It is a statement of fact.

Also called moaning :)

Saturday is going to see a club all time record attendance of over 32,300

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10280~2748960,00.html

Coventry will be the 8th game this season with over 30,000 fans at St Mary's and will average circa 27k by the end of the season. Very good for a club in the 2nd tier.

Only 19 games at home in the Premier League, Saints had 8 over 30k matches in the 2nd tier. Games next season if promoted will obviously be a lot more attractive to the fanbase.