Why I Want us to lose tomorrow

Long Shot

You've repeated this several times now Steve, but it doesn't seem to register with some at all for some reason. It seems clear to me that Crouch would have kept him, that having said what he said above, Pearce would have been able to work within similar constraints to those endured by JP, but that he would have had a far better understanding of the British game, what formation would be most productive, how to achieve the optimum balance between youth and experience and probably how to get the team fittest and most motivated too.

What singularly fails to register is that Pearsons results were not that impressive. Then add to the fact that this season he would have lost R Wright, Lucetti, Pearce, Saga, Stern, Rasiak, Viafara, Safri, Idiakez, Ostlund, Powell, Wright, Licka.

Even though I was happy to accept Pearson for this season, it was clearly obvious that relegation was still the most likely outcome because of what he had managed to do with the squad and how much of that squad would be left for this season. Which ever manager we had if we were outside of the relegation zone I would not be complaining, such was the task we had against us. I can clearly see the pro's and cons between JP and Pearson and cannot see a lot in it. The ability to bring on the youth players is the key issue here and I cannot complain too much with what JP has done.

Even though my personal preference would still go to Pearson, there is no logic to expect us to be any better off than what we currently are, considering what Pearson did with the resources available last season. This is not a view manufactured to suit the moment, but a realistic analysis of the position stated at the end of last season, perfectly happy to keep Pearson.

What singularly fails to register is that Pearsons results were not that impressive. Then add to the fact that this season he would have lost R Wright, Lucetti, Pearce, Saga, Stern, Rasiak, Viafara, Safri, Idiakez, Ostlund, Powell, Wright, Licka.

Even though I was happy to accept Pearson for this season, it was clearly obvious that relegation was still the most likely outcome because of what he had managed to do with the squad and how much of that squad would be left for this season. Which ever manager we had if we were outside of the relegation zone I would not be complaining, such was the task we had against us. I can clearly see the pro's and cons between JP and Pearson and cannot see a lot in it. The ability to bring on the youth players is the key issue here and I cannot complain too much with what JP has done.

Even though my personal preference would still go to Pearson, there is no logic to expect us to be any better off than what we currently are, considering what Pearson did with the resources available last season. This is not a view manufactured to suit the moment, but a realistic analysis of the position stated at the end of last season, perfectly happy to keep Pearson.

Some of what you say may be true...However keeping Pearson would have given both continuity and stability

Why is Pearson hailed as some kind of managerial genius by some people?

As Up and Away states above - his results reallly weren't that impressive...and then there's the loss of so many players he would have had to endure - had he stayed.

Let's not forget that he's managing a Leicester side that's playing in a completely pizz-poor third tier of English football...with virtually the same Foxes side that almost stayed in the Championship last season.

I'm still backing Jan. I'm happy to have him - more than happy. I like the bloke a lot & he's still - in my eyes - a breath of fresh air at a very stale club. I love his enthusiasm for the game and his real heart-felt yearning for his "boys" to do well - to learn the game - to mature with each match. I'd have been behind Pearson had he stayed - but he didn't. So I'm fully behind our current Southampton boss.

It is not a realistic analysis at all, more a report from The Department of Guesswork. It isn't even conclusive that all of the list of names of players that would have to be released is accurate. Crouch's priorities might have retained one or two of them, although the pressures would have been to make similar cuts. Patently there would have been more scope had we not spent money on bringing in some of those replacements who seem to be more of a gamble as some were injured, others unknown quantities.

But overall, JP has often demonstrated that he is out of his depth at this level with both his choice of personnel, but more particularly his one dimensional formation.

So there is no realistic analysis, as everything has to be based on conjecture and opinion. In my opinion, Pearson would have been a lot less naive than Poortvliet and therefore would have achieved more success as a result.

As stated, the debate as to whether we would have been better off with Peason or JP has to be pure conjecture.

What is an irrefutable fact is that the disruption and disunity caused by the return of the despised Lowe, allied to the other failed chairman and the bizarre experiment they are trying to implement, is the biggest single cause of our current situation.

As stated, the debate as to whether we would have been better off with Peason or JP has to be pure conjecture.

What is an irrefutable fact is that the disruption and disunity caused by the return of the despised Lowe, allied to the other failed chairman and the bizarre experiment they are trying to implement, is the biggest single cause of our current situation.

Totally agree, some young players were needed last season to inject pace and verve but not 9 or 10 in one go FFS. Poor Gobern looks a real prospect but shouldn't be starting games yet, his confidence should be built as an impact sub as he was at Preston. James we are totally ruining by playing out of position. Parents of talented youngsters shouldn't let their prodigies anywhere near SMS whilst Wilde and Lowe are around - so sad to say that as we've brought so many players through in the last 4 decades, more than most clubs in the 92.

Nick matey no offence - have you been on the lunchtime tequilas or is the Florida sun at work. I really am not sure what you are saying. Rgds Liz

the question is too hard for you to understand, never mind you are even getting confused with your name

Edited by OldNick

Indeed he probably would have as he openly pleaded for Pearson to be kept on. Considering what we've ended up with that would have been a very good decision.

Would he???

Would he???

Really????

Oh OK?????

Apart from your first bit about keeping Pearson, the rest if this is just mumbo jumbo and supposition.

Is someone feeding you these stories in an attempt to justify their failed position?

Keeping high earners, buying new players, shutting down the Academy, Pearson wouldn't work within the new structure, Pearson wouldn't play youngsters etc etc etc. All stories perpetuated by Lowe & Cowen in an attempt to try and convince us that they had no option but to go dwon this route.

Rewind back a few months and try and fit that bullshi78t in with what pearson was saying about the future.

"A lot of my background is working with youngsters. I worked with the England youth teams for three years and I see the Academy as a massive part of the club.

I have worked at clubs where the academy and first-team are separate entities and not integrated at all and those clubs are the poorer for it.

If you put the right effort into recruiting and developing the right players then it can save the club a lot of money on transfer fees."

And as for whether he knew of and/or could deal with the financial situation we find ourselves in, I think the answer to the following question also makes it clear that he was aware of our predicament (and willing to work within some tough parameters).

"Is it hopeless or are there ways we can improve the team to get back in the Premier League? Can we do it through wheeling and dealing or the youth team or is it hopeless?"

"It will be a combination. The reality is there will be comings and goings, there is no doubt about that.

Economics will play a part and there will be some natural wastage as players come to the end of their contracts. Then it will be a case of finding players who fit the bill.

We need a side capable of getting success but which fits in with the financial situation. But we are not going to be splashing fortunes on players.

Even in the short time I have been here, I have been looking to see if we can get players on loan. Short-term is the immediate priority but I am looking long-term too."

I never said that NP would not have worked with the youngsters. I did say that whoever was chairman would have had to make some spectacular cuts.Now if it wasnt at the high end earners it would have been at the other high cost base where it would make IMMEDIATE savings.

The acadamy would be the other if not the high earners.

I like others could have stomached NP and happy to see what he could do. I dont rate him as high as others and he has got hero staus after 16 games in charge, and took us to within 45 minutes of relegation after taing over when we were still away from relegation danger.

Having said that it was good to see fans behind him and that was a big plus.

Please tell me where the savings would be made if we kept most of the experienced players and the acadamy, I dont think that is possible.

I believe there is a group of familiar names out there willing to step in. Not neccesarily with big bucks but with enough clout to stave off administration and prevent the need to sell players we want to keep in Jan.

Should we survive into Jan (and I note the accounts have yet to be signed off) and Lallana and Co leave you watch the clamour on here then.

I wonder:idea:

This thread has exposed several Saints "fans" as complete ****s. Wanting us to lose, wanting us to get hammered, wanting us to have 5k gates and the crowd turn on the club...

You lot are a disagrace and if we get into admin the stayaway fans will have finally got the club they deserve. Sadly they'll have killed the club usreal fans support too.

This thread has exposed several Saints "fans" as complete ****s. Wanting us to lose, wanting us to get hammered, wanting us to have 5k gates and the crowd turn on the club...

You lot are a disagrace and if we get into admin the stayaway fans will have finally got the club they deserve. Sadly they'll have killed the club usreal fans support too.

well said

I want us to lose today and it's sh1t. I just pray Lowe and Wilde are soon gone so the fanbase can unite again.:(

Red and White Army summed you up, a disgrace. How anyone could want their club to lose is, in my opinion a total arse. If we lose today I hope you choke on your pint of "well done Reading." Please stay away from our club as you are not wanted.

The FANS have not killed this club, only a PR plant would claim such a thing!

How much do plants get paid nowadays? Is it worth it, do they realise they are being used like Lowes bitc*es to sing from his song sheet.

The PR plants must be from poopey as no average football fan would want to cause this much antagonism to a fellow supporter who is distraught at HIS clubs lack of LEADERSHIP.

PR plants are the scum of the earth. A true saints fan wouldn't respond to this post, but a PR plant would use it as a platform to attack a true saints fan.

Over to you Red & White Army, Plant or no plant?

Red and White Army summed you up, a disgrace. How anyone could want their club to lose is, in my opinion a total arse. If we lose today I hope you choke on your pint of "well done Reading." Please stay away from our club as you are not wanted.

Dear god, calm dow Deidre people are entitled to an opinion, Who the fook do you think you are ?? :smt021

Originally Posted by Red and White Army viewpost.gif

The FANS have not killed this club, only a PR plant would claim such a thing!

How much do plants get paid nowadays? Is it worth it, do they realise they are being used like Lowes bitc*es to sing from his song sheet.

The PR plants must be from poopey as no average football fan would want to cause this much antagonism to a fellow supporter who is distraught at HIS clubs lack of LEADERSHIP.

PR plants are the scum of the earth. A true saints fan wouldn't respond to this post, but a PR plant would use it as a platform to attack a true saints fan.

Over to you Red & White Army, Plant or no plant?

You really have lost the plot! So in your view it is natural for a true Saints fan to want their team to get hammered? Along with your logic, you have got your definitions ass about face. Why does every Lowe hater leave the brain cell behind when responding, or is it shared?

To be fair to Lowe the finacial situation is mostly down to those in charge for the previous 2 years, and not him (although he did make bad decisions which contributed to our relegation). I'm not convinced that the gates would shoot back up if he left to be honest. We'd be utterly rudderless, there is no alternative to the system we have in place. We can't afford to pay money for experience, so we may as well go all in on the youth policy the way I see it.

Screw it, I expect we'll be relegated, as I did when I first saw who had taken over, but my loyalty and love for Southampton won't be changed, whether it is Lowe or some soulless hedge fund who is in charge.

You really have lost the plot! So in your view it is natural for a true Saints fan to want their team to get hammered? Along with your logic, you have got your definitions ass about face. Why does every Lowe hater leave the brain cell behind when responding, or is it shared?

Ah, but in the view of John Smith, you are not a fan as you responded to him. I have a lot of respect for John as he usually argues his case well, I don't agree with him usually but he doesn't resort to insults. While I dislike the "i'm a better fan than you" arguments, it seems odd that a fan could want the team to lose. Dislike the board all you want, dislike the manager, etc but I would hate for us to get hammered today or any day.

To be fair to Lowe the finacial situation is mostly down to those in charge for the previous 2 years, and not him (although he did make bad decisions which contributed to our relegation). I'm not convinced that the gates would shoot back up if he left to be honest. We'd be utterly rudderless, there is no alternative to the system we have in place. We can't afford to pay money for experience, so we may as well go all in on the youth policy the way I see it.

Screw it, I expect we'll be relegated, as I did when I first saw who had taken over, but my loyalty and love for Southampton won't be changed, whether it is Lowe or some soulless hedge fund who is in charge.

What a load of unadulterated bolllocks.

This clubs financial problems started with RELEGATION and having Premiership expenses whilst being a CCC team.

LOWE got us relegated.

LOWE wasted one year of parachute payments on balancing books rather than a concerted attempt at getting "Re-promotion".

This clubs financial problems started with RELEGATION and having Premiership expenses whilst being a CCC team.

LOWE got us relegated.

LOWE wasted one year of parachute payments on balancing books rather than a concerted attempt at getting "Re-promotion".

Ah yes, of course, the team we had in the first year of the Championship, nowhere near good enough for the Premiership.

Delap, Higgs, Fuller...their careers have really taken a turn for the worse since leaving us haven't they! Jones turned out to be pamts, not like we had Niemi or anything is it? Lundekvam is a terrible footballer ETC ETC ETC. We spent bolllocks all in the first season, we had a good enough side with Quashie dominating matches etc, the only sticking point was a non-committed manager (appointed by Lowe of course) but Redknapp must take the brunt of the blame for that season. Wilde went crazy and spent £7 million in one summer on players we didn't need, Lowe was around for less than half of that summer. Then last summer the board did an even worse job, INREASING COSTS! That is what has sent us into the financial abyss.

Finacially, Lowe was a sound chairman, but I am not pretending for one second that Lowe did anything but a rubbish job appointing managers, making decisions regarding players etc. But there is NO ALTERNATIVE for the club now. These youngesters aren't half bad, we've been unlucky not to rack up at least another 3/4 points so far this year, and we're not even in the relegation zone as it is. We'll probably lose Lallana and Surman, but in the last two years we have cornered ourselves in this impossible position. No good (or sane) manager would come here, we arent a good investment, so lets get on with it.

COYR

LOWE got us relegated.

We can all see where Wildes "concerted attempt at getting "Re-promotion" got us though cant we? Money spent and we are still here, just further in the pooh.

Whilst I might like the lack of effort or money that was put in I can at least see the point behind not blowing your bank ballance on something which is far from certain.

1st priority was always to stay in business.

2nd priority is to build a team that can do well.

We can all see where Wildes "concerted attempt at getting "Re-promotion" got us though cant we? Money spent and we are still here, just further in the pooh.

Whilst I might like the lack of effort or money that was put in I can at least see the point behind not blowing your bank ballance on something which is far from certain.

1st priority was always to stay in business.

2nd priority is to build a team that can do well.

You wouldnt have been saying that if it the opportunity hadnt been blown by a disinterested incompetent manager.

I find it hillarious that you describe what Lowe is doing as "keeping us in business". Half the fan base has been alienated by p*ss-poor football, p*ss-poor results and getting rid of all our better players in the name of cost-cutting whilst inexplicably bringing in an entire brigade of "cheap" loans just because their age group is right.

Do you really have no awareness of the fact that the loss in gate-revenue is STILL going to kill us ?

You wouldnt have been saying that if it the opportunity hadnt been blown by a disinterested incompetent manager.

I find it hillarious that you describe what Lowe is doing as "keeping us in business". Half the fan base has been alienated by p*ss-poor football, p*ss-poor results and getting rid of all our better players in the name of cost-cutting whilst inexplicably bringing in an entire brigade of "cheap" loans just because their age group is right.

Do you really have no awareness of the fact that the loss in gate-revenue is STILL going to kill us ?

Mitch01 put what I was trying to say better.

I didnt say I like what is being done but can understand what is trying to be done.

Let me explain this to you one last time Alpine.

Our gate has dropped by about 4500 or so,TV revenue is about 70K a game on Sky (x2 for us). The average ticket income from non-ST sales is about 18£

to the club, the rest is VAT.

We lose 1.86 million on gate revenue less TV income.

Getting rid of the over paid players will save us somewhere in the region of £5 million over the season. So the gate downturn is largely negated by the salary mass reduction.

It was necessary,the results are so so,but as long as we don't get relegated before we profit from the new income stream next season ,the result justifies the means.

We must accept this and take solace from results like today's, these lads can play,we know that, they will get bullied from time to time but at the end of the season the club will survive and we'll have occasional flashes of great football;

The logic of the original poster is such that only administration will do - forced on the club by a worsening set of results and plummeting gates. What will happen in administration? A white knight will pick the club up for a snip, invest millions and we'll be Premiership bound before you can say "credit crunch."

Get real! In the current economic climate going into administration will be a massive step into the unknown. What if no buyer comes forward? Asset stripped? Stadium sold off and we're downsized to a mid league team with no potential. Or sold off on the cheap to someone with no money and years in recovery.

No. the only solution is to survive in the Championship, whatever you think of the personalities at the top. The recovery period might be shorter if we can do that. If even that won't suit because you hate the Chairman, then good riddance. The results at Preston and Reading prove beyond doubt to me that the problems the players face at St Mary's are a direct result of all the negativity surrounding the place.

Wes, I am with you in thinking that Pearson would have done a good job with the youngsters and I would have been happy to see him continue. But, as you say, it is entirely speculative that he would have done a better job than Portvliet. However, I cannot agree with your "bizarre experiment" comment. The fact is that there have been times that the football produced by this young team has been breathtaking. The fact that results have not necessarily reflected that has as much to do with that fact that youngsters are still learning the discipline required at this level and this is something that NP would have had to contend with too. (I also think that there has been a learning curve for JP) but from what I have seen there is adequate evidence against Sheffield Utd away (which I attended), Preston away, the second half of the Wolves game and today, that this team can play against anybody. There seems to be a disagreement between those who attended today as to whether we really did play 4-4-2 or whether we simply played JP's system properly for once. Whatever really is the case I still do not want to see JP replaced because I think what is happening is still a work in progress. I will stick my neck out and say that we will not be relegated and I will settle for that for this season. If we did not then move on and up next season then - yes, then I would be bothered. As to removing Lowe and Wilde - well you do not necessarily have to like them to think, as I do, that I do not want further regime and managerial changes for the sake of it unless the incomers could show that they have the resources and the will to actually improve things. Much as I would love to see it there has been little more than hot air emanating from the aether.

what a great result and performance from the saints.it fills great,so where our all those (pompey)loving fans of ours wanted their saints team to lose, i bet they are gutted and drowning their sorrows because we won.

No i was pleased. I still think Lowe is a **** though and hope we get a low crowd turnout for Plymouth to **** him off.

No i was pleased. I still think Lowe is a **** though and hope we get a low crowd turnout for Plymouth to **** him off.

And there is the rub. The kid's performance today deserves support - not to be ignored. I wish people would ignore bloody Lowe and concentrate on what really matters.

*parasitical ;)

Also, to be fair - I'm no fan of lowe, at all. But surely you can see the point, that we need to be able to seperate Lowe from the players? We have to support the players, at least atfer performances like today.

Away from home i see no problem supporting the players, but when it comes to putting money into the club i simply cannot do it.

I don't, nor will i spend a single penny at the club til him and Wilde are gone.

I've tried but I still cant get around this statement.

Isn't it putting money into the club to better the club - or do you think it goes straight from your wallet into Ruperts 'well padded' wallet.

We are in bad financial position and this is when the collective Saints family need to support and help out. I cannot for the life of me see how people want administration let alone their 'supported' team to lose.

It Lowes removal will get rid of barmy thoughts like this - I'm all for it - Seems Crazy is breeding around here. Until someone bails us out or we do go under however - all we have left is the team to support.

All for looking for alternatives, and people having their opinions - but instead of just Lowe Out - can someone read me chapter 2 - What happens when Lowe does go ? How it was achieved ?

Edited by Saint Bones

Phil speaking to someone who I respect - it is that desperate. A win tomorrow only perpertrates the problem - it is one result in 123 years, a drop in the ocean. We are weeks away from armigeddon. Desperate times call for desperate measures. Posts like the ones of Scotty Dogs further up just show how people are happy to stick their heads in the sand and hope this is just a horrible dream. It's not and we have got to face reality before it is too late. For too long too many people have turned a blind eye to what is going on off the pitch, often preferring to shoot the messenger.

Well, soon there won't be a pitch. Where will fans turn then? Perhaps I will keep this thread and then send it to all those who have mocked or insulted it when they find they no longer have a club to support.

Saints winning tomorrow will not solve our problems, it will be mere wallpaper over a widening chasm, the fans have got to look past the results but sadly I am losing the faith when I see a serious thread that comes from the heart being treated with disdain. (Not you mate but the likes of Scotty Dog - says it all really.)

What an utter load of tripe!! You keep going on about "what is going on off the pitch", and about "disaster" just around the corner, but you say nothing specific, you offer not a single shred of evidence to show that something bad is happening.

We all know the club is in financial difficulties, have known that for a couple of years now. That is in part Lowe's fault, but only in part. At present, those running the club, including Lowe, are doing their best, to all appearances, to keep the club afloat by stringent control of costs, and that means playing most young a rather inexperienced players. That was always going to be a recipe for inconsistent results: no surprises there, nor any particular reason to be forecasting disaster.

If you really have something useful to say, some actual information to impart, go ahead and tell it, and stop being a drama queen! In the words of Eddie Izzard: I know you won't!

You remind me of the old "end of the world skit" by Peter Cook: when nothing much duly happens, you'll just be saying "same time next week then" and keep on with your boring and pointless jeremiads about Lowe as if you really had a point to make.

Trutyh is, you're clearly just a bit of a sad tosser. Hoping Saints lose matches: yeah, that'll right the ship all right, that's the desire of a life long fan ... not!

Now what sort of sense does it make to cite as "irrefutable fact" something that is in actuality merely an unsupported opinion that will immediately be refuted? Doesn't reflect very well on your judgement, Wes. What disruption and disunity has the return of Lowe caused, pray? If you refer to the whining and bleating on this board by a handful of professional pessimists and misfits of the alpine/Windmill Arm/stanley ilk, you grossly exaggerate their effect. If you have some real evidence of disunity and disruption, I'd be interested to see it. As to bizarre experiment: to what do you refer? The decision to try to balance the club's books by getting rid of the high earners, perchance? What was bizarre about that? Not doing so would have been more than bizarre. The allied choice to play the youngsters? Again, nothing bizarre there, it was really the only choice available. The decision to bring in a coach with long and successful experience abroad of working with young teams and shoestring budgets? Again, what is bizarre in that? A very natural thing to do, and one that is showing signs of working in spite of the very (and understandably) inconsistent results to date. Perhaps you were expecting Saints to "walk this league" and are talking from disappointment at being only just above the drop zone. If so, your judgement is again at fault: we are just where we might have been expected to be, and if we can stay above the relegation zone til season's end, Poortvliet will have done his job well.

Now, disagree with all that if you like; but don't be spouting bull****e about "irrefutable facts" unless you actually have an irrefutable fact with the evidence to establish it as such!

Away from home i see no problem supporting the players, but when it comes to putting money into the club i simply cannot do it.

That's not bad considering you wanted them to lose at Reading. You won't put money into a club that is skint and want them to lose as well, please tell me what you see in our club.

I've tried but I still cant get around this statement.

Isn't it putting money into the club to better the club - or do you think it goes straight from your wallet into Ruperts 'well padded' wallet.

We are in bad financial position and this is when the collective Saints family need to support and help out. I cannot for the life of me see how people want administration let alone their 'supported' team to lose.

It Lowes removal will get rid of barmy thoughts like this - I'm all for it - Seems Crazy is breeding around here. Until someone bails us out or we do go under however - all we have left is the team to support.

All for looking for alternatives, and people having their opinions - but instead of just Lowe Out - can someone read me chapter 2 - What happens when Lowe does go ? How it was achieved ?

Unfortunately Longshot, Stanley, Delmary etc cannot give us any alternative but they continue to post anti Lowe/Wilde bile. Put up or shut up I say.

Unfortunately Longshot, Stanley, Delmary etc cannot give us any alternative but they continue to post anti Lowe/Wilde bile. Put up or shut up I say.
I'm with you saintwarwick. When Lowe leaves we will have to close the club because we will not be able to find a suitable replacement to run SFC which is understandable as we only live on a small planet with a minor population of 6.72 billion people. Lowe has god like football business powers and it's a miracle the club survived prior to 1997:rolleyes:

By the way, I'm pro SFC not pro/anti Lowe. What are you???

SFC is bigger than any individual or group! If Lowe or someone else helps turn the club's fortunes around then great SFC moves forward. The people running the club should be judged on their performances, like in any industry. Lowe's regime will be judged on league position, finances and by share holders' votes. Our views count for nothing.

Edited by Delmary
added end comment