Why I Want us to lose tomorrow

Long Shot

Phil - I respectfully disagree (at a general principle level)

Take away the irrational emotions that many people who enjoy watching a game of football exhibit (and I'm not saying that that emotion is a bad thing, it just interferes with rational thought) and what Long Shot says is a perfectly understandable viewpoint.

Analogy alert...

Burning back old vegetation allows new shoots to grow.

Amputating an injured leg can save the life of the patient.

England not qualifying for Euro2008 gets rid of Steve McClaren.

Long Shot makes a valid point whether people agree with him or not. (and I'm not declaring here whether I agree with him myself...just respecting his opinion)

But the bloke that started this thread by hoping that the team I support loses on one weekend to the leaders in the Championship isn't making a valid point. And your analogies are not accurate either.

IF he were to have said that he hoped we'd be relegated, or hoped that we went into administration I could see some sort of warped phoenix from the flames argument, and I could see the connection to limbs being removed.

But wishing that we lose one match just appears to be an attention seeking, melodramatic, look-at-me-ism.

I hope we win. And then I hope we find someone with enough cash to remove Lowe and the damage he may or may not be doing. But in the interim I'm going to support the team.

As you are obviously simple minded I'll explain it in simple terms.

Lowe gambled on loyalty. He lost.

Lowe gambled on cheap youngsters. He lost.

The result of losing both gambles will be administration and relegation.

And you call me simple minded?

Not everyone who doesnt go anymore are staying away because they are unloyal. Many just simply cant afford to go. Should Lowe have known everyones personal finacial status?

The board decided with the bank what the operating costs were and what they need to be, they also decided how many supporters they need through the door to sustain that operating cost. they also decided if that is not achieved they will need to sell players to service the banks need to recover its money.

How has lowe gambled on cheap youngsters?

The CLUB cannot afford to do any better while the income is not servicing the operating costs. I dont get why that is so difficult to understand. had we been filling the staduim every week then I would put money on us still having some of our high earners out on the pitch week in week out and maybe a better blend of youth and experience.

I can't get myself to want the team to lose in order to get rid of Lowe and Co. But the way to get shot of the charlatans would be for the team to play Wolves in front of an empty stadium and no reason for not wanting Saints to beat them either.

I accept Dubai-Phil's opinion on another thread that it would be better to have an in stadium protest such as holding up red cards, turning our backs on the board, etc, but personally I believe that the mass boycott for just one match, if really well observed, would force the board's resignation within days. If it didn't, then it would be repeated. Even if Lowe was stubborn his cohorts would probably see sense and force him to go by withdrawing their support. The protest would be on the understanding that the board was to be replaced by independent executive directors who were able and well respected rather than the major shareholders. Immediately the current board was deposed unity could be restored and a rallying cry issued for the fans to return to save the club. Nobody in charge at the moment has the moral authority to issue such a call.

I liken this scenario to Trousers analogy of cutting off the gangrenous leg to save the life of the patient.

Surely Wilde and Lowe know how fans feel Wilde even posts here.

Look at the Previous Independant Board run but Hone etc they we acceptable and in fact caused the problem we are in at the moment.

I think Lowe and Wilde should be given time to resolve the problem.

No, I'd have wanted them to win....

Hypocritical? Perhaps.

It's a paradox whichever way one looks at it but it doesn't mean Long Shot's viewpoint is wrong. It's just a different opinion. Doesn't make 'him' or anyone else a 'bad' fan if they genuinely believe it will help the club in the long run....

I can see what your saying and people should stand by what they believe in. But they think its right to do that how can they think its wrong for Lowe to do the same?

Guest Hacienda

Not everyone who doesnt go anymore are staying away because they are unloyal. Many just simply cant afford to go. Should Lowe have known everyones personal finacial status?

How has lowe gambled on cheap youngsters?

:rolleyes:

Why have the accounts not been produced? Well for the Auditors to sign them off you need to be a going concern and have a working capital.

Funnily enough, just this morning I'd been wondering whether the going concern aspect of things could be an issue for Saints.

For those who aren't aware, accounts are normally prepared on a going concern basis, which means the company is expected to continue operating for at least the next financial period.

If you can't guarantee this, you have to prepare your accounts differently.

As you are obviously simple minded I'll explain it in simple terms.

Lowe gambled on loyalty. He lost.

Lowe gambled on cheap youngsters. He lost.

The result of losing both gambles will be administration and relegation.

It wasn't a gamble, it was the only choice.

It would be a cold day in hell before i ever want Southampton FC to lose a game, i will be there tomorrow cheering, shouting, clapping and anything i can do to try to help my team win. As much as i detest lowe and co i love my football team much much more

Or if it meant us losing to a team that got Pompey relegated, then I would want us to lose. Might even start a pitch invasion.

This football club is no longer my football club.

It is being run both on and off the pitch by a man who only cares about his ego and I cannot support that.

If Saints win it will be the team he picked and that goes against all the principles I used to hold dear in football.

I had a long chat last night with someone very well-placed to gauge just how serious a position this club is in. Unless Wilde, Askham, Cowen or the other Lowe backers wake up to the damage their leader is doing to the club and "pull the plug" at the next AGM we will go into administration. When that happens Lowe will 100% blame the stay away fans and more than likely move to pick up the remnants for a comparative pittance. He has no feelings towards this club and certainly blames everyone else for our current position.

I really don't think many on here truly appreciate what is going on right now, some even still support Lowe while others think after he has gone there will still be a Southampton FC.

So the only way to save our club is to get the fans and the shareholders to rebel and sadly the only thing that guarantees that is when the team fail badly (remember Branfoot). A loss v Wolves will increase the lilihood of that and so sadly for the first time in nearly half a century of undying loyalty I am hoping for a home defeat. I am sure you will all want to have a pop and some will tell me to eff off and find another club etc etc etc but I just ask you to have a good hard look at what is going on at the club and then ask yourself if you are truly happy. I am not saying it should be taken out on the players or even the manager, it is not their fault but pressure must be put on the man who takes all the major decisions. If he stays we are finished, it is as simple as that.

Up yours !:mad:

What has me very concerned is the fact that Mr lowe still has to rely on others to keep

him in power. However if Saints go into admin I worry that Mr Lowe will buy full power cheaply

and so will no longer need any other shareholders to support him, he will go from 6% to 100% :(

Is it not therefore reasonable to expect that the likes of Mike Wilde and W**ker Askham will turn on him before that happens then ? Since they will lose out ? And if they are included in the post-admin purchase too, has anything actually changed ? They will still be in control, they would have only got rid of Corbett, Trant, Lawrie Mac and Crouch, who cant must more than 20% between them anyway.

If Lowe does mastermind a post-admin purchase, all it means is that bankruptcy is the next step a year down the line.

The only chance this club has to survive is a takeover pre-admin, or post-admin by A.N. Other.

Edited by alpine_saint

Guest Hacienda
My dad always said that if you have nothing inteligent to say then say nothing. did your dad say the same to you? ;)

My father taught me to reach my own conclusion based on the available information and evidence and not to really on propaganda.

A lesson that obviously passed you by.

You keep believing the OS nipper.

Funnily enough, just this morning I'd been wondering whether the going concern aspect of things could be an issue for Saints.

For those who aren't aware, accounts are normally prepared on a going concern basis, which means the company is expected to continue operating for at least the next financial period.

If you can't guarantee this, you have to prepare your accounts differently.

Jesus, so even Lowe & co are expecting adminstration then. Or bringing it about.

Guest Hacienda
If we only have a limited budget for Players wages we can only pay for young and relatively inexperienced players.

Another OS devotee.

The stay away fans are as bad as Lowe IMO. neither will admit they share some the blame of what is happening at our club.

When its dead you both will point fingers and say I told you so.

Congrats bud. I hope you will be pleased with your self.

And for the record I dont think losing on saturday will make the blindest bit of difference as we are playing a team that is top of the league and doing very well so there probably isnt many at the club that realisticly expect us to get points out of it. The plan will be set to get more points than 3 other teams and it will also be set on who we need to beat to get enough points. Achieve that and the people in charge will have succeeded for this season. anything more will be a bonus and talked up on the OS. anything less will be failure and administration.

This is so true. Had our attendance not dropped this season we would be in better financial footing. The cutbacks and unpopular sales/loans are partially a result of the "fans" who cant be bothered anymore. The revenue gained from 5k worth of ticket sales per game would easily have covered wages for a combination of Rasiak,Saga and Stern. Im neither pro or anti Lowe, he's made mistakes, but his hands have been tied to a degree, yes, some of it his own fault, but the responsibilty does not all lie on his shoulders alone.

I can understand Long Shots depression but I want my team to win whatever the situation in the boardroom or changing room.

Our problem is that we are playing too many inexperienced players but despite that we are still in the financial mire. For that reason alone I think Lowe has failed.

Why have the accounts not been produced? Well for the Auditors to sign them off you need to be a going concern and have a working capital. Is that the reason for the delay? We all know the figures. They were disclosed in July so the loss of £6m is not the reason.

How can the issue be addressed? Well Lowe will not go. His supporters will not desert him. So does Wilde holds the key? It is known he is worried about matters. He seems to spend very little time at the club. Who is controlling this club? Lowe is only around for 2 days a week.

Will Wilde sell his 15%? It is very unlikely he will sell to Crouch or any of his known supporters or sympathisors. So we need a benefactor out there who can buy Mike out and make a difference. AND THAT IS THE PROBLEM. I think we are stuck with Lowe.

I will continue to support the team. I cannot support Lowe or Wilde at this time.

It has been suggested to me that Wilde might consider selling at 35p a share. Anyone out there with a spare £1.6m.

However it is unlikely he will sell to Salz or Davies even if they came in.

Guest Hacienda
This is so true. Had our attendance not dropped this season we would be in better financial footing. The cutbacks and unpopular sales/loans are partially a result of the "fans" who cant be bothered anymore. The revenue gained from 5k worth of ticket sales per game would easily have covered wages for a combination of Rasiak,Saga and Stern. Im neither pro or anti Lowe, he's made mistakes, but his hands have been tied to a degree, yes, some of it his own fault, but the responsibilty does not all lie on his shoulders alone.

The decision to ship out the players you mentioned was taken BEFORE the season started, as was the decision to play kids so a collapse in crowd numbers cannot be blamed for them being shipped out.

However, the collapse in numbers might well be because they have been shipped out and our youth team promoted in their place.

Whilst I understand where Long Shot is coming from, I want to give this thread some balance.

I also felt disenfranchised by the club, having done 'my bit' in 'asking' Lowe to leave last time, in the manner Mr Blobby87 described above, whilst still giving 100% support to those on the pitch, Lowe then returned.

So, what am I to do? I weighed up the situation, and decided that if they can't here my voice, maybe they don't want my money and support, because my money and my support is what they want from me. I want Lowe to go. Having protested, discussed and argued about the issue, Lowe finally went and we paid him well to leave.

After Lowe returned and I heard what his intentions were, I almost felt like 'throwing in the towel' like I feel Long Shot has done, but then I thought a bit more about it.

Long Shot, it's not (IMO) that you want Saints to lose, you just want the 'regime' to fall so flat, that it 'has' to be acted upon. In your eyes, the best way for this to occur, is that if Saints continue to lose.

However, here is my perspective, every game Saints approach, I try and think about how we will win, just like I always did, look at the positives and maybe we will come good and get the momentum, something we've always been looking for. When the results come in and we've lost, I am disappointed but want to look to the next game. But that's just the way it is. Us winning or losing, in itself, will not get rid of Lowe. Sure, success may help keep him in, but losing will not get rid. The only thing that matters in this, is the attendance figures. It is THE only factor that determines whether Lowe is there or not.

So, whether we win, lose or draw, I always want us to have played well. And, if we were top of the league right now, I would be happy. It would be bitter sweet, as I wouldn't be there, but I ALWAYS want us to do well. IMO, the best scenario, to get rid of Lowe, would be if we were top of the league by a good margin and we only had the away fans in attendance. (Please note, those that have been harking on about turning up regardless, in this scenario, us not being there had no or the reverse effect, and we were flying high).

THE ONLY WAY LOWE WILL GO, IS IF WE DON'T!

Come on Saints, beat Wolves. I am also praying that a deflected clearance ends up in the face of Lowe, it's up to you to decide which is more likely?

My father taught me to reach my own conclusion based on the available information and evidence and not to really on propaganda.

A lesson that obviously passed you by.

You keep believing the OS nipper.

you keep digging yourself that lowe hate filled hole dont you. lol

Did the OS tell me we are going into a resession?

Did the OS tell me that people dont like to go and watch there team get beaten week in week out?

Did the OS tell me that fans would rather watch there team in the Prem than the CCC?

I get my evidence and information from all over the place and I get the 1 sided match report and possible team news from the OS.

Facts are we have no money and the bank want more than we have.

Our income is not enough to service what the bank want so sales will need to be made to cover that.

Reductions have been made in an attempt to bring out outgoings below our incomings.

Vicious circle in that as we reduce the product the customers that wish to pay for it also reduce.

Lowe could step down or get the Boot today but our problems would remain. Now unless you know the odd arab that wants to throw 30 million quid away I dont see how this situation can drasticly change. i would be glad to hear how you think that could change though. Or can you not see past your hate for 1 man t come up with a better solution?

Whilst I understand where Long Shot is coming from, I want to give this thread some balance.

I also felt disenfranchised by the club, having done 'my bit' in 'asking' Lowe to leave last time, in the manner Mr Blobby87 described above, whilst still giving 100% support to those on the pitch, Lowe then returned.

So, what am I to do? I weighed up the situation, and decided that if they can't here my voice, maybe they don't want my money and support, because my money and my support is what they want from me. I want Lowe to go. Having protested, discussed and argued about the issue, Lowe finally went and we paid him well to leave.

After Lowe returned and I heard what his intentions were, I almost felt like 'throwing in the towel' like I feel Long Shot has done, but then I thought a bit more about it.

Long Shot, it's not (IMO) that you want Saints to lose, you just want the 'regime' to fall so flat, that it 'has' to be acted upon. In your eyes, the best way for this to occur, is that if Saints continue to lose.

However, here is my perspective, every game Saints approach, I try and think about how we will win, just like I always did, look at the positives and maybe we will come good and get the momentum, something we've always been looking for. When the results come in and we've lost, I am disappointed but want to look to the next game. But that's just the way it is. Us winning or losing, in itself, will not get rid of Lowe. Sure, success may help keep him in, but losing will not get rid. The only thing that matters in this, is the attendance figures. It is THE only factor that determines whether Lowe is there or not.

So, whether we win, lose or draw, I always want us to have played well. And, if we were top of the league right now, I would be happy. It would be bitter sweet, as I wouldn't be there, but I ALWAYS want us to do well. IMO, the best scenario, to get rid of Lowe, would be if we were top of the league by a good margin and we only had the away fans in attendance. (Please note, those that have been harking on about turning up regardless, in this scenario, us not being there had no or the reverse effect, and we were flying high).

THE ONLY WAY LOWE WILL GO, IS IF WE DON'T!

Come on Saints, beat Wolves. I am also praying that a deflected clearance ends up in the face of Lowe, it's up to you to decide which is more likely?

Sensible reply - thanks.

I know tomorrow if we are hanging onto a 1-0 win half of me will be desperate to win but the other half will see a win as vindicating Lowe and the way he is running the club. I suppose it is the bigger picture I am looking at here ie if a loss is the final nail then hammer it in and let's get the funeral over and done with. I don't want to spend another week lying in a coffin just waiting for someone to hammer that nail in. One step backwards tomorrow might mean a giant step forward at a later date is where I am coming from. Or to use another cliche - sometimes you have to take a little pain to get a gain.

Edited by Long Shot
spelling

Lots & lots of clammer for Lowe to go ......

I have yet to read anyone post a viable alternative. Anyboby ?:smt039

I believe there is a group of familiar names out there willing to step in. Not neccesarily with big bucks but with enough clout to stave off administration and prevent the need to sell players we want to keep in Jan.

Should we survive into Jan (and I note the accounts have yet to be signed off) and Lallana and Co leave you watch the clamour on here then.

What has me very concerned is the fact that Mr lowe still has to rely on others to keep

him in power. However if Saints go into admin I worry that Mr Lowe will buy full power cheaply

and so will no longer need any other shareholders to support him, he will go from 6% to 100% :(

My biggest fear also!

I know nothing but have had a hunch that Lowe (and his sycophants) will have their value of lost shares well repaid when 'someone' steps in at administration. That 'someone' is part of my hunch! I just can't help feeling this is all a manufactured situation. Which is why there is no split in the Lowe camp. Maybe, just maybe? Wilde may see sense and realise his cash is going down the pan, along with any say he may have in the future of this once wonderful club?

stuff like this is really starting to irritate me.

ffs.

No-one really wants lowe here, what are we going to acheive by getting rid of him and giveing up with the team.

If Lowe resigned tomorow, whats going to change. I doubt very much that there is more than 1000 stay away fans due to him. The reality is less people are coming to mathces becasue of our league position.

No takeover is coming, so a new chairman will still be the same financial position and with the same result of players leaving. Maybe anoterh chairman may have kept one of the higher earners, buts thats all one.

We are fiancial screwed, we are trying to work in a budget that reflects this.

You may not like the current set up but live with it, its going to be here for a while.

/staying away won;t get rid of lowe, it will just make it harder for us to avoid administration and will certainly be no benfit to the team.

If lowe went tomorow, would we see a massive improvement in results? would be there be 20K plus for each game. No.

I don;t like him anymore than the next person, and accept his failings. But all he is at the moment is a scapegoat.

Its about time people started being more reaslistic.

Guest Hacienda
you keep digging yourself that lowe hate filled hole dont you. lol

Did the OS tell me we are going into a resession?

Did the OS tell me that people dont like to go and watch there team get beaten week in week out?

Did the OS tell me that fans would rather watch there team in the Prem than the CCC?

I get my evidence and information from all over the place and I get the 1 sided match report and possible team news from the OS.

Facts are we have no money and the bank want more than we have.

Our income is not enough to service what the bank want so sales will need to be made to cover that.

Reductions have been made in an attempt to bring out outgoings below our incomings.

Vicious circle in that as we reduce the product the customers that wish to pay for it also reduce.

Lowe could step down or get the Boot today but our problems would remain. Now unless you know the odd arab that wants to throw 30 million quid away I dont see how this situation can drasticly change. i would be glad to hear how you think that could change though. Or can you not see past your hate for 1 man t come up with a better solution?

Typical luvvie. Blame anyone and everything but Lowe.

Bless.

I believe there is a group of familiar names out there willing to step in. Not neccesarily with big bucks but with enough clout to stave off administration and prevent the need to sell players we want to keep in Jan.

What the fu ck are they waiting for then ? you believe/you know/you spoke to blah blah blah...tell us why those you believe are not stepping up to the plate and proposing an alternative, please tell us who these white knights are and why they are not charging in based on the financial information YOU have ???

Should we survive into Jan (and I note the accounts have yet to be signed off) and Lallana and Co leave you watch the clamour on here then.

you might be lucky and they might sign for the new club you are supporting;)

I am very much hoping for a Saints win tomorrow, and for some reason I think we'll do it.

Surely if results on the pitch improve then off-the-field matters mean nothing. If we're winning reguarly and pushing for promotion, would anyone really care who was in charge of the club?

I'm not a Lowe fan at all, far from it actually, but it seems to me that because results haven't been too good of late, people point the finger solely at Lowe without suggesting a reasonable alternative.

You only have to see the reaction on here after the Derby game to realise what a win can do for confidence. Those 3 points were considered the 'turning point' of our season and at that time, no-one seemed to give two hoots about Lowe.

If things on the pitch improve, then all boardroom matters will take a backseat.

The only we are ever going to get Lowe out is by supporters designating one game in three or four as a "Lowe-Out stay-away game".

There are segments of support who won't join in this, but if the attendance dropped tp around 5K on a couple of games IMO Lowe would be forced to fall on his sword.

As for the ludicrous comments that there is nobody better:-

It is good corporate governance to separate the non- executive roles.

A Chairman should alwys be a non-exec (ie he sets the direction and criteria for the executive officers to follow).

It is almost certain that Lowe interferes in every aspect.

No decent business would allow anyone with negligible knowledge of football to do anything other give the manager his financial budget, and leave everything except contract negotiations to the manager.

If the manager doesn't agree with the budgets -he either puts up or shuts up.

If the team doesn't win the manager is not performing to his job spec and he goes.

There are several posters with sound business knowledge who have followed and played football for years, but most of those would have the commonsense to realise that they were hopelessly out of their depth in the pro game.

It appears Lowe doesn't and never has.

He isn't a life-long football supporter and still has the arrogance to imagine that he has the necessary skills, this alone requires his removal to solely financial non-exec duties.

Regrettably only Barclays/ Norwich Union or his cronies can remove him.

The only thing true fans can do to ensure his swift removal is to stay away.

This season, for the first time in fifty years I really care very little about Saint's results. This hurts me more than their losses ever used to!!!

stuff like this is really starting to irritate me.

ffs.

No-one really wants lowe here, what are we going to acheive by getting rid of him and giveing up with the team.

If Lowe resigned tomorow, whats going to change. I doubt very much that there is more than 1000 stay away fans due to him. The reality is less people are coming to mathces becasue of our league position.

No takeover is coming, so a new chairman will still be the same financial position and with the same result of players leaving. Maybe anoterh chairman may have kept one of the higher earners, buts thats all one.

We are fiancial screwed, we are trying to work in a budget that reflects this.

You may not like the current set up but live with it, its going to be here for a while.

/staying away won;t get rid of lowe, it will just make it harder for us to avoid administration and will certainly be no benfit to the team.

If lowe went tomorow, would we see a massive improvement in results? would be there be 20K plus for each game. No.

I don;t like him anymore than the next person, and accept his failings. But all he is at the moment is a scapegoat.

Its about time people started being more reaslistic.

:smt038:smt038

Nail on head.....i have asked twice on this thread for alternatives to Lowe ( trust me, I wish there was).... no one has responded:smt102

I get a feeling of dread as each weekend draws nearer, and can't see a win again at all. So tomorrow isn't going to matter too much either way. Lose and it will be an expected result. Win and it will paper over about one of our 100 cracks. Nothing else will change, sadly. Lowe is a stubborn man.

far from biggest fan -not managed an away game at all this season,

but I am still a fan and will continue to support my team and hope they win, looking forward to tomorrow afternoon (although my wife has just had to re-arrange haircut as didn't know had a game this weekend so not too popular!)