Nicolai Boilesen

S-Clarke

I meant the last ditch lunge that nearly conceded an own goal really...

Skrtel fully passed the ball to Tevez yesterday, even the top defenders make mistakes.

Luke Shaw would be off then if we sign up a younger LB. Profits to be made?

How do you figure that?? Just because we buy another player who can play in his position doesn't mean we're getting rid, it's not a 1 in 1 out policy.

My guess would be that this guy would primarily be LB but would also provide cover at CB for Jos. Hate to judge on the youtube video but he looks composed on the ball and a decent passer, fingers crossed.

I spent all last season thinking I must be missing something with Fox, as I didn't rate any higher than Harding personally, and others seemed to think he was good.

He does have talent but hispositional sense just isn't up to scratch for me.

So if we sign anther LB, I presume Fox will go leavong Luke Shaw in exactly the same place in the pecking order as he is now

If we we're to sign his guy, maybe fox would be close to being moved on in this window or next. I don't think he's good enough for the prem. No pace, no desire to get forwards and never quick enough to close down....has anyone seen him actually tackle someone before?

Saints and Ajax have had links for a long time via academy.

We have links with Barcalona as well after the mutal respect that was built up during the Ronnie Ekland transfer. It seems players from Ajax and Barcelona are queuing up to join us. Between the three giants of world football there are 52 domestic titles. 8 champions league titles, Five cup winners cups, Four UEFA cups, two world club cups, one FA cup and One Johnstones paint trophy. You can't help but feel any player that makes the switch would be swapping guaranteed success in one country for another so any deal should be seamless. The Ronnie Eklund and Johan Cruyff transfers seem to support this.

If we we're to sign his guy, maybe fox would be close to being moved on in this window or next. I don't think he's good enough for the prem. No pace, no desire to get forwards and never quick enough to close down....has anyone seen him actually tackle someone before?

I'm really excited at the prospect of buying a promising Danish player, but just discarding a Scottish international with close to 300 league matches for a (currently injured) youngster with 10 league games for Ajax would be a rash move IMHO!

I'll bet you a cheese sandwich that we don't sign him.

How big is the cheese sandwich? For my kids, I'll cut it in 4 so it would be a quarter of the two bits of bread with the cheese in the middle. Are we talking the full two bits of bread, cheese (my fave is red leicester), u****? I need clarification before entering into any bet with you.

I'm really excited at the prospect of buying a promising Danish player, but just discarding a Scottish international with close to 300 league matches for a (currently injured) youngster with 10 league games for Ajax would be a rash move IMHO!

Perhaps. I just don't see Fox as being the long term solution at LB at this level. If Boilsen or even Shaw can tackle, close down and be more progressive going forwards I would play them despite age and inexperience.

Perhaps. I just don't see Fox as being the long term solution at LB at this level. If Boilsen or even Shaw can tackle, close down and be more progressive going forwards I would play them despite age and inexperience.

I'm quite happy about Fox because of his determination and sweet left peg but not oblivious to his faults (and there are quite a few ;)) - I'm just not sure that Boilesen is ready for the Premier League just yet. He has been unlucky with injuries and has never had a longer run in the Ajax team, so it would be quite a gamble to rely on him from day one.

We have links with Barcalona as well after the mutal respect that was built up during the Ronnie Ekland transfer. It seems players from Ajax and Barcelona are queuing up to join us. Between the three giants of world football there are 52 domestic titles. 8 champions league titles, Five cup winners cups, Four UEFA cups, two world club cups, one FA cup and One Johnstones paint trophy. You can't help but feel any player that makes the switch would be swapping guaranteed success in one country for another so any deal should be seamless. The Ronnie Eklund and Johan Cruyff transfers seem to support this.

:lol:

you **** lol

I don't think "discarding a Scottish international" is really relevant. Boilesen has same number of caps as Fox, and Denmark are ranked 10th by FIFA while Scotland are ranked, oh I don't know I got down to 40th and gave up* :-)

Your note about experience is more relevant, although clearly the experience has not resulted in Danny learning as much as one would expect, at 26 he is probably at his prime and is clearly struggling at PL level. I still think he will be very useful in the squad, and it will be good to have 2/3 FBs fighting for a place. But its also probably clear that NA does not think Fox is the answer, hence the 3 shirt has been left vacant.

*46th actually. Just winding Kraken up.

I don't think "discarding a Scottish international" is really relevant. Boilesen has same number of caps as Fox, and Denmark are ranked 10th by FIFA while Scotland are ranked, oh I don't know I got down to 40th and gave up* :-)

Your note about experience is more relevant, although clearly the experience has not resulted in Danny learning as much as one would expect, at 26 he is probably at his prime and is clearly struggling at PL level. I still think he will be very useful in the squad, and it will be good to have 2/3 FBs fighting for a place. But its also probably clear that NA does not think Fox is the answer, hence the 3 shirt has been left vacant.

*46th actually. Just winding Kraken up.

As I wrote in #70, it's not so much the greatness of Fox that should be scrutinised, rather the inexperience of Boilesen. Maybe, just maybe, Boilesen is already a better player than Fox, but it would be a gamble to rely on him with so few first team matches.

Oh, and if Scotland and Denmark played today, I'm convinced that the Scottish would defy the FIFA rankings and win ;)

Very good Turkish!

3 of my mates are season tickets holders at Ajax, and according to them Boilesen has pace, has a good cross, can tackle, is strong and can play CB as LB. The major downside to him is that he is very injury prone, has had many muscle and ankle injuries.

They also cant see Ajax selling him for as little as 5 million, if he can shake of his injuries he has the possibility to become a very good player.

(the last LB we bought from Ajax was old Jelle van Damme)

(the last LB we bought from Ajax was old Jelle van Damme)

Really can't understand how come Ajax ever had JvD, one of the worst players we ever signed imho, and really has never made it that big since, despite 29 caps for Belgium. Odd thing is that he had only played 18 times for Ajax before he signed for us, only a few more than Boilesen.

Danish interview with Boilesen:

http://ekstrabladet.dk/sport/fodbold/udenlandsk_fodbold/holland/article1814599.ece

It's just your usual circular news story. Player is linked to club, paper interviews player, other papers can quote interview etc.

Basic rundown:

- we're interested and want to pay £5,5M

- he only heard about the interest from the Dutch press 10 minutes before being interviewed by Danish press

- PL is interesting, happy at Ajax, no further comments

- still injured and may be back in a month, though it could take longer

- Arsenal and AC Milan also interested

So this doesn't seem to be close to happening. Not saying it definitely won't happen, but it must be in the very early stages if there is anything to the rumour...

Why on earth would journalists be bothering to conjure names out of nowhere? We are talking about Southampton possibly signing a centre back or a left back.

No journalist breathing air is that desperate for copy.

What a world you live in.

I think it's part of the forum mentality. Mental but par for the course. Some people moan at others for posting rumours, some moan for the intonation of posts, then some moan cos they're not confirmed or accuse members of making it up. Generally, they aren't confirmed until signed and the club announce it. I think a certain element struggle to comprehend the basic function of a sporting chat forum. Some post things they've heard and got chastised for being an attention seekers (which there are but it's expected as any comment on newspaper sites or youTube is met with vitriol and trolling). Live with it. If chatting about sport upsets you because you know nothing or have no contacts, I'd suggest to avoid chat forums and this isn't the platform for you. 2 baked hack making up sports headlines....whatever next! ;o)

surely he'd fail the medical then?

Its not a question of passing or failing medical. The medics will assess the injury and whether he will recover fully or whether there would be some lasting damage. We would probably still sign him unless there was a serious risk that he would not fully recover. As long as we don't use the same medics as we did for Tin Man a few years back we should be OK.