Adkins Poll

Tractor_Saint

Adkins  

819 members have voted

1. 1. Adkins

Any chance of someone making a new poll about whether in Adkins we still all trust? Would be interested to see if the numbers have changed from last week based on his team selection today. Surprised he didn't sub Lambert for Burac...

He's a manager, he gets paid to manage the team.... How's he doing?

My opinion on GK position.

Gazza has been doing alright, but who is my first choice for this season......Boruc of course, that´s a no-brainer.

Yes he is not fully match fit but he will never be that if you dont give him games. Playing U21-games will not get him what he needs and therefore you have to give him 3-4 more games to fully see his capability.

So for me, that choice isn´t that surprising if you look at a bigger picture.

I think we should sink or swim with him,he deserves it after 2 fantastic seasons.I alway feel loyalty pays off.

fair play......it already feels like this season is a bust anyway so let him stay learn as much as he can and then when he gets us promoted back from the championship next time he'll have PL experince:)

Of course it won't happen like that NC won't want to relegated from the PL and it's sackfulls of cash.....

Keep him, for now.

IF it is the case that the formation we play is a club decision that Adkins cannot change, then he cannot be blamed entirely for the way we play. We don't have the players for the way we play, so it will take time for them to get used to this new formation and style. No other manager will change this, nor can they change the players who are letting us down so badly.

Adkins has been far from perfect and IMO needs to stop dicking around with the team selection and find some consistency. His post-match interview today all but confirmed he knows we need to strengthen defensively, so let's give him the chance to do so in Jan and hope NC backs him. If NC doesn't, that again is something that the manager cannot be blamed for and a new manager won't change.

If the issue was just the poor defending I would say stick with him, that can be addressed in January, as it should have been in the summer, Howevr his bizarre starting line ups and substitutions are making me think he is out of his depth, so it pains me to do so but I've voted tim for a change.

For my two penneth. I considered Boruc as third choice to be fair. Gazza not playing today, would have expected Davies back in. But Borac?

But my opinion isn't based on today's goalkeeper choice, it's on the team in general and Adkins subs so far. Was surprised that when he made a sub he didn't sub Borac for Lambert.

Sorry but before tonight I said Nigel needs to go two games ago. Three games on I stick with it. Problem is I've got no idea who would be a real Premier League manager to take us into next season so, therefore, one is a slag :D

Sigh

Simply not true

Well who will be the messiah then??

Some one like Redkanpp? Coyle? Mick?

No chance, all will be the same as Adkins in the same dog fight, costing the club more money. Have to stick to Adkins because realistically a change in management won't do us the slightest bit of good. Might as well take 20th now and get on with next year if all we can see as a solution is sacking Adkins.

Keep him, he's new to the big time but he's shown he's got passion and he got us promoted twice in two years FFS you can't just drop someone with that form after a handful of games, give him at least until xmas but ideally a whole season (unless were losing by 3 goals every match at xmas)

I considered Boruc as third choice to be fair. Gazza not playing today, would have expected Davies back in. But Borac?

Thats just mental imo. Boruc is a fully fledged international keeper with a stronger club history than KD. I like Gazzaniga but he needs to be brought on gradually.

OK - Nicola has a whole bag of money to attract some top notch proven managers to Saints. How long do you think he'll stick to Nigel until he finds someone else. In the end Nicola needs to run this as a business and, at the moment, we're going back to the Championship. If you're a Saints fan and had a lot of money to make sure we didn't go back down to the Championship next year, would you do something about it now or wait until the New Year?

Thats just mental imo. Boruc is a fully fledged international keeper with a stronger club history than KD. I like Gazzaniga but he needs to be brought on gradually.

Lol - Gazzinga has played first team for the last 3+ games for Saints and done well. We're not a charity for players like Boruc. We're (for now) a Premiership team.

Well who will be the messiah then??

Some one like Redkanpp? Coyle? Mick?

No chance, all will be the same as Adkins in the same dog fight, costing the club more money. Have to stick to Adkins because realistically a change in management won't do us the slightest bit of good. Might as well take 20th now and get on with next year if all we can see as a solution is sacking Adkins.

Who knows

But I remember the doom and gloom when pardew was moved on

I also remember the general disgust when Adkins was appointed also

Just looked at the match thread. If the game had finished at 45 mins, most would have been content, if not quite happy. In fact, some even said Saints did some things well, even if they didn't score.

Unless someone is suggesting NA told them to give away two stupid goals in 2 minutes (and I wouldn't be surprised with some on here), then really the thing that cost us the game is the stupid defensive mistakes which probably account for 20 of the goals we've let in. 4th goal summed up the poor defending: they dropped too deep and with 3 of them back there, the closest player should have gone to close him down earlier.

That indicates that the personnel aren't 'good enough', although they have been good enough for much of the game, only going to pieces in short spells here and there. As others have said - it's all between their ears. That may be sufficient for them to be considered inadequate and shipped out, but for now we're stuck with them.

If the team is over-reliant on one source/person then even if they play if they're marked out of the game (as MLT often was by the likes of Keown) then the team has to be good enough to adapt on its own - this isn't american football, it's a bit more spontaneous than that so dropping a player isn't necessarily a bad thing, especially when/if the team are likely to go long with him playing and him being up a defender who is very good in the air, not so much on the deck (Collins).

It's nice to see so many owners/managers of SFC ready to wield the axe and yet gripe about the 'right way' to treat people - pots and kettles?

As for formation. To repeat what others have said elsewhere when stating the obvious to those who don't/can't get it: if the player who is meant to do a job doesn't do it, then that leaves the team open regardless of whether it's 10-0 or 1-1-1-1-1-5.

Keep NA , but get a damn good defensive coach in (or Glenn Hoddle - cough - and his faith healer woman friend) to assist.

I think that some fans have been spoilt over the past two seasons and have completely forgotten what a struggle it is and always has been in the Premiership. In the previous regime we got through a significant number of managers and had we not had somebody of the quality or loyalty of Le Tiss we would have been relegated far earlier than we were. Some may say that the changing managers kept us up but I feel that this merely led to our demise and administration. A manager comes in, get in his players on long term contracts, gets the boot, new man comes in, gets in new players. The end result is a squad the size of a small army with many never getting a look in.

Nigel has brought us this far and with a style of football that many fans don't get chance to see. I am not ignoring the fact that the defenders we have are shipping goals left, right and centre and an unstable GK position. I totally acknowledge that if we carry on as we are we will be relegated but I think it will change. It is a sharp learning curve in the top league and unfortunately our defenders aren't learning fast enough. However, it will happen in time and changing manager won't make it happen any quicker.

At times over the years I have found it quite embarrasing how Saints have chopped and changed managers and gone for cheap internal appointment or cheap foreign appointments. We have a good manager who is new to the Prem as are many of his players, how about we give him a chance to prove himself than sacking him and getting in some cliched top flight appointment like Redcrapp or Keane or Benitez. Give me Nige any day.

Who knows

But I remember the doom and gloom when pardew was moved on

I also remember the general disgust when Adkins was appointed also

Context is a bit essential there. From what I gather Pardew is an ass hat and really didn't sort out the summer before hand, league position was going to cost him regardless.

In the same token we hired Adkins, who was single handedly keeping S****horpe much higher than they ever should be.

I don't see how sacking him and going for a mid-season upheaval is going to help things at all. Adkins deserves a season, not just for getting 2 promotions but because it would be stupid not too. He can sort out the training (FM style) any time and can buy a new back line over christmas. He needs the chance to do these things really, sack him if we are 19th or 20th on valentines day.

Scooby - I completely agree with you that Nigel has done an absolutely fantastic job to get us here well ahead of schedule. However, I'm sure he's been paid in line with his contract that probably made him a very rich man to do this so ahead of plan.

However, we're now a Premiership club and expect Premiership management. We're not a poor club, we've got money behind us. If our manager isn't coming up to expectations then, as a business, we should be looking to replace them and see what's available out there.

We owe Nigel a lot for what he's done for us. But I don't want us to look back and have to point out what 'Nigel did to us'. Let's respect him for getting us to the Premiership, get a manager who can keep us there and move on.

What a tricky one this is! The bloke has been brilliant for us and we must respect that, my worry is he can't handle the big time! But id like to give him a bit longer surely the bloke deserves that much? I honestly would be sad to see him go!!!!!!

Perfectly put. I agree. How much longer though? What's the cut off point? :)

He's earned a full season in the prem imho. Even if we go back down.

And I shudder to think of Scoobys suggestions above as replacements; Redknapp? thats bad enough, but if keane got withing screaming distance of St Marys I would start going to the silverlake until he left.

He's earned a full season in the prem imho. Even if we go back down.

And I shudder to think of Scoobys suggestions above as replacements; Redknapp? thats bad enough, but if keane got withing screaming distance of St Marys I would start going to the silverlake until he left.

No one earns a full season of heavy defeats... What about the people that would get made redundant if we go down

What about the millions of £££ of we go down.. What about the kids favourite players that have to be sold...the feel good would be shot to pieces

Look at the teams that have gone gown. All managers have gone. One of which was loved at Bolton... Not done them much good sticking with him

Its a difficult one for sure. He deserves a few more matches at least

But my concern is that he isnt learning from his mistakes. His team selection and tactics have been shocking recently and he continues to repeat them. On contrary to the resident mongs conspiracy theory that Cortese is telling adkins how to play I do believe that we are being told to play attacking football. Sort of like adopting the Barca mentality.

The problem is we have those players and they are not getting picked. To leave off a striker who scores for fun is criminal. If he continues to do that I can see Rickie getting ****ed off.

He deserves at bare minimum another three games but if in those games we have not improved then its time for a change. As the guy on talksport said sometimes great football league managers struggle in the premier league. Maybe he is just not cut out for this level and this type of pressure?

Do you reckon that Kelvin or Gaz would have saved the first or second goal today?

The first perhaps someone would have saved but I´ve seen top top keepers see those go into goal too....

The second goal I dont really understand your opinion of, what should he have done you think?

If you look at goals from angles regarding our keepers I would say that Evertons second goal on Gazza is by far a worse goal, Gazza takes that angle wrong with about two steps so that is to me a far worse goal to let in.

I'd sack cause if this carries on too long we'll be in big trouble and even a new manager in the 2nd half of the season wouldnt help. Thing is i do like him but he's put this all on himself, he's cocky and wants to do it his way and he never says he made a mistake and always blames it on his defence, it's about time someone close to him and tells him some of his players are just not good enough. Guly, Fox and even JRod are just not good enough for this level (JRod is suppose to be for the future not now). Quality not experience gets you results, Shaw is a great player, Arsenal and Chelsea were after him so give him ago? He could be the next Bale we'll never know til he starts playing. JWP is so much better than Davis, yes he's young and has to learn a few more things but he'll never learn without playing he, imo he gives much more than Davis on the pitch. Mayuka's pace is also what we should be using, him playing just behind the striker would be great for counter attacking football but NA leaves it way to late bringing him on each time, start with Guly or Mayuka? not really a hard choice. I don't like the 442 formation but i think til we get our players back from injury i think we should go back to the standard 442 (mayuka + lambo upfront) none of the diamond crap that failed badly against everton, least with that we might get something against Spurs. Just hope Bale will be kind to us and play ****.

No one earns a full season of heavy defeats... What about the people that would get made redundant if we go down

What about the millions of £££ of we go down.. What about the kids favourite players that have to be sold...the feel good would be shot to pieces

Look at the teams that have gone gown. All managers have gone. One of which was loved at Bolton... Not done them much good sticking with him

Programme sellers?

Even if we stay up no garuntee our favorite/best players would stay....they never did last time we were in the PL.

It all comes down to cash no way will NC want to lose the PL money...which is why I reckon Nigel is a dead man walking.

Edited by doddisalegend

Programme sellers?

Even if we stay up no gurantee our favorite/best players would stay....they never did last time we were in the PL.

It all comes down to cash no way will NC want to lose the PL money...which is why I reckon Nigel is a dead man walking.

No guarantee but there would be more of a chance we would keep some of them

If we go down... With the recent loan etc. I can't see out better player staying

Throw in missing out on next years tv deal

Matter of opinion. Personally, I think after two successive promotions he has earned a full season's shot at the prem. Nobody has to agree with me though, and the decision wont be influenced by anyone on here.