Adkins Poll

Tractor_Saint

Adkins  

819 members have voted

1. 1. Adkins

Good to see the vast majority backing NA. All the bedwetters need to calm down and relax !

I have said since promotion that we are employing a 'yoyo' strategy and if so, NA can get us promoted again.

I am being proven correct on this one and although I made a mistake last season about 17th, we will never get as lucky as last season again.

I expect more and more and more people will end up conceeding that the Dalek was again right and remember my prediction in 2004 that the failure to appoint an experienced manager, in the guise of Hodlle, would see the collapse of the club.

Good to see the vast majority backing NA. All the bedwetters need to calm down and relax !

I have said since promotion that we are employing a 'yoyo' strategy and if so, NA can get us promoted again.

I am being proven correct on this one and although I made a mistake last season about 17th, we will never get as lucky as last season again.

I expect more and more and more people will end up conceeding that the Dalek was again right and remember my prediction in 2004 that the failure to appoint an experienced manager, in the guise of Hodlle, would see the collapse of the club.

If we do go down it won't be with NA.

At the start of the season I said even if we went down I'd stick with Adkins. Could see him being here a long time, Fergie-style.

But when glaring tactical mistakes are being made it gets me wondering whether he is the right man for the job.

After QPR away in mid-November we will have played our fair share of 'lesser' teams. See what the situation is then.

If NA was the person who decided our transfer strategy should be to go all-out attack and spend millions on forwards rather than defenders, then maybe that shows he is not up to the job, however....I don't believe he made that call. I still think we need to give him until the end of the season. Even if we did get relegated I don't think we would lose more than 2 or 3 of our current squad, and I don't think we can blame him for the defenders we currently have in the side. Do you think a new manager will automatically make those same players less error-prone?

If we do go down it won't be with NA.

NA would be one of the best equipped managers to take us down and back up again as he did with S****horpe.

BTW, Htoo late for Hoddle to save us, we missed that chance in 2004.

Bit of a conundrum here, as speed demon says, we probably won't be relegated with NA in charge. So then what? Having had two-thirds of the season to fulfill the ambition of keeping us up and failing, presumably the new man - be it 'arry, (God forbid, No), Hoddle, Pep (as an extreme example) - hang around for next season, or will they too be discarded as a failure ?

Fast forward to this time next year in the Championship, and don't be surprised if Adkins is topping the league with Leicester, Leeds,Sheff Weds or someone else, whilst we flounder trying to rebuild again.

Bit of a conundrum here, as speed demon says, we probably won't be relegated with NA in charge. So then what? Having had two-thirds of the season to fulfill the ambition of keeping us up and failing, presumably the new man - be it 'arry, (God forbid, No), Hoddle, Pep (as an extreme example) - hang around for next season, or will they too be discarded as a failure ?

Fast forward to this time next year in the Championship, and don't be surprised if Adkins is topping the league with Leicester, Leeds,Sheff Weds or someone else, whilst we flounder trying to rebuild again.

So.... you're saying stick with Adkins because we're going to need him next year in the Championship?

So.... you're saying stick with Adkins because we're going to need him next year in the Championship?

It does not work like that. I think Steve Bruce or Alex MacLeish are recently managers who have taken teams down and got them back up

It simply does not work like the romantics want

No, but in twelve months time I can see NA in a better league positiin than us.

If we go down with Adkins. I doubt not many decent will want him

Would you have wanted a premier league reject when in the npc... Course not. Adkins even got out of league 1 with scunny and most were disgusted with his initial appointment

If e can't cut it in the prem he will (for now) join the likes of Warnock ,billy Davies and phil brown in being a very good npc manager

Would you want any of those? Course not

Edited by Thedelldays

If we go down with Adkins. I doubt not many decent will want him

Would you have wanted a premier league reject when in the npc... Course not. Adkins even got out of league 1 with scunny and most were disgusted with his initial appointment

If e can't cut it in the prem he will (for now) join the likes of Warnock ,billy Davies and phil brown in being a very good npc manager

Would you want any of those? Course not

Owen Coyle was flavour of the month about 18 months ago. Now look at him.

Save bringing new players i.e. defenders in, how is any manager going to be a serious improvement on NA?

You see it all the time though. We have had enough managers to know it makes a difference

Remember being terrible when gray was here... WgS came in and turned it around with Paul Williams and Paul telfer in defence... Hardly good players.

Heck, even remember when Adkins came here himself...so many predicted he would not last the season as how could he possibly do better than pardew

It came be done

We can't get much worse and are heading down with no fight already

May as well roll the dice at some point

Edited by Thedelldays

You see it all the time though. We have had enough managers to know it makes a difference

Remember being terrible when gray was here... WgS came in and turned it around with Paul Williams and Paul telfer in defence... Hardly good players.

It came be done

Just to counter your view on "new manager syndrome", you may also wish to remember George Burley coming in.

It came be done

Gray is slightly different though in that he inherited a relatively decent squad from Hoddle (or at least a squad with prem experience). In other words, he was underperforming relative to where we had been whereas we've probably been overperforming under NA. Any incoming manager would be asked to outperform that, a totally different kettle of fish.

He's not picking the formation, his hands are tied. The problem runs much deeper than Adkins being out of his depth I'm afraid. What decent manager is going to come in and be told what formation they have to play? especially one which isn't working and we don't have the players for.

He's not picking the formation, his hands are tied. The problem runs much deeper than Adkins being out of his depth I'm afraid. What decent manager is going to come in and be told what formation they have to play? especially one which isn't working and we don't have the players for.

Prove it. Untill then stop talking bull****.

I thought the mods said people were not allowed to post 'rumours' or libelous claims unless they backed them up with proof as the website could get taken down?

Gray is slightly different though in that he inherited a relatively decent squad from Hoddle (or at least a squad with prem experience). In other words, he was underperforming relative to where we had been whereas we've probably been overperforming under NA. Any incoming manager would be asked to outperform that, a totally different kettle of fish.

Right now. I would be amazed if we are over performing!

Thats just mental imo. Boruc is a fully fledged international keeper with a stronger club history than KD. I like Gazzaniga but he needs to be brought on gradually.

You wouldn't have thought so today. Looked like a youth team keeper playing with the senior pros. I was surprised. Gazzaniga for me. Good keeper, excellent distribution.

If there are any identifiable defensive coaches then I'd be looking at them. Do we have any?

Adkins time is running out. Norwich's win today piles on the pressure. If he can't hack it then now is the time to say so. In a couple of weeks Saints could be 6 points adrift of safety.

I think that we'd be stupid to change manager now. Nigel is clearly struggling but he can't be completley blamed for some of the unbelievably stupid defending we seen from the team over the start of the season. I think that we need to get an experienced defensive coach in ASAP to organise the back 5 and reduced the ridiculous errors. If that doesn't solve the issue by the newyear then change the boss with an eye for the folllowing season.

What a crap position we've got ourselves into.

Jeez the problem is the defence, we're leaking nearly on average 4 goals per game. Which is frankly the worst in EPL history. Who takes the blame for this? I don't know Nor does anyone on here

Adkins says "blame me, I pick the team; we thought we had a strong enough defence but individual errors are costing us." So, the players primarily, for which the manager carries the can.

This is all totally irrelevant. As any long-time fan of the Saints will tell you... we don't start playing until after Christmas!! :-) (last couple of years were a blip :-) )

In all seriousness though, I'm tired of chopping and changing. It's boring and smacks of a really badly run setup. Lets try continuity and see if that works for us. I'm talking long-term strategy. Things aren't right at the minute, lets give NA the opportunity to try and put things right eh?

Besides, am I the only one who really enjoyed the lower leagues???? This Premier league business is really turned me off again already :-( (worst case scenario hat on)

I started the season horrified that Nigel would lose his job, even if we were doing badly and got relegated.

I'm starting to change that view. I don't mind us losing; but I mind us losing and learning absolutely nothing from it. I think Nigel Adkins has been blinded by the lights of the Premier League, and has been found out with how hamstrung he is in the transfer market by the situation at SFC. Its not all his fault; Lou Reed and the poisoned dwarf need to stand up for that responsibility as well. But NA has had a complete mare himself this season; I'd love to defend him but just can't.

I'm glad this topic has arrived, as I was uncertain which of the other ten Adkins related topics to put my thoughts in. ;) :p

This seems as good a place as any, to collate everything into one post.

Naturally, this is a game of opinions, and we do not have all the facts to hand, so all we can do is to offer our thoughts, as best we can; and some of that, in the absence of the complete knowledge that would only come from being involved at the Club, will clearly be at least partly based upon supposition, conjecture, and trying to read between the ("blue") lines. ;)

Ok, where to start?

Makes sense to begin by stating that as per my vote, our Nigel has my support.

So, as I can perfectly understand why my stance may appear a strange one to many, given the situation we are in, here's why I feel this way:

Let's start with stability.

It has long been an often shared opinion on here, that after the Lowe era of managerial merry-go-rounds, "revolutionary coaching set-ups" that often end abruptly in "mutual consent" compensation packages and non-disclosure agreements, that what we really needed, was the long term stability, of finding a good guy, the 'right' man for our Club, and then when we've found him - sticking with him, and standing by him - even when the "going gets tough".

And like Morpheus in The Matrix, upon finding "The One" - I say what I say, because "I believe that search is over". ;)

I remember back in the early days of Sir Alex' glorious reign at Old Trafford, that there was a time when things were not going well, that he was under a lot of pressure, and rumours grew that his tenure was on very dodgy ground, amid calls from sections of the club's support and the media for him to be sacked. His board backed him however, and the rest is a fine history indeed.

Not that our Nigel is as yet fit to tie Fergie's metaphorical shoe laces of course, but nevertheless, here we have a young and talented manager, who has done us proud over the last two seasons, and has the potential to become a very fine manager indeed.

He is currently struggling. That much is abundantly clear.

And the growing pressure he must be feeling, is clearly not helping his cause.

But, do we really cast him aside, eight games into his fledgling Premier League management career?

Do we hang him out to dry, for struggling to tread water, while if recent rumour his to be believed, he has at least one hand tied behind his back?

"Thanks for everything Nige, but you can do one now mate".

Loyalty. It is a two way street.

We (as football club supporters in general) complain about the seeming lack of this noble quality in our game these days when it suits us, against a backdrop of multi-billion television contracts, in which the almighty pound sign is king; and yet, after two years of unmitigated success and good times, and a ridiculously difficult run of starting fixtures by way of a "welcome" to the Premier League, - it's "sorry Nige, it was nice knowing you. Thanks for the back to back promotions and feel-good factor, now f*ck off".

That is a stance that I am personally unable to endorse.

And I'm unsure as whether to be happy or disappointed, that at the time of writing, it seems that 64.75% agree with me.

But knowing what a reactionary bunch some can be at times on here... :p

I do already wonder, how many might just wish that they could change their vote, when they wake up in the morning, and reflect.

Ok, so, let's back it up a minute, and take a closer look at the situation we currently find ourselves in.

If what we are "led to believe" from various "sources" is true, Nigel has his hands tied to some degree, with how much room to manoeuvre that he has.

Nigel made it abundantly clear, very early on in pre-season, that it was one of his main priorities, to bring in "a couple" of quality Centre Backs to the Club, and was also keen to add a Premier League quality Left Back to the squad. We all know about the Alexander Buttner situation for starters.

Given that he stated this often as such a priority, and all that materialised was a deadline day deal for Maya Yoshida, I do wonder how much control he had over the players he has been able to bring in.

Then we have his carefully worded responses pertaining to the "Southampton Way", and this seemingly 'dogged' persistence with sticking to the new "4-3-3" formation, that is implemented across all levels at the Club.

I don't "know", of course. All I can do, is take the many little 'snippets' Nigel has dropped in some of his interviews, try to connect a few dots, read between a few lines, and hope that when I add two and two together, I come up with figure that closely resembles the number four.

But if you listen to his Solent interview today, he is very careful in what he "takes responsibility" for. Pretty much everything, with notable exception of our formation.

"It's my responsibility alone. The way we perform, the results that we get; the team selection, the substitutions - there's only one person to look at and that's me".

Adam Blackmore then asks: "Did you consider, putting someone up front with Lambert, at any stage?"

And Nigel, in a patently downcast tone of resignation, simply responds: "We're gonna play 4-3-3".

I really feel for him. :(

Nigel is a clever guy, and within the limits of what he can say, I do believe that he is trying to send us a message, and ask us to read between the lines.

So if, and I do mean if - the speculations and rumours are true, that our current system and formation is being forced upon him, to the extent that he is unable to change things around when he can see they are not working, then whoever is responsible for that decision, must also bear at least a part of the responsibility for what happens when that system is failing.

It is all very well to hold the manager to account when results are going against us, but if he is effectively being told how we are expected to play, and he is unable to alter this if he feels he needs to, then he is having to manage the best he can, with his hands effectively tied.

We know from many of Nigel's previous interviews last season, and from simply watching our team play, that he likes to be pretty fluid, and have a few working formations, to change things up when need be, and ensure our flexibility and ability to adapt to situations. We've seen many times, that he will often switch between a few formations, during one game.

And yet this season, when subtly asked why he didn't change our shape? "(sigh) .... we're gonna play 4-3-3".

Anyway, I'm conscious that this is already a long post, so I'll tie things up.

You could tell Nigel's frustration in his interview today (here if you've not seen it), that lapses in concentration are costing us at the back, time and again.

Unfortunately, "f*cking concentrate you useless c*nts!!!" isn't really something you can "coach". ;)

We have what we have, until the January window at least. It is clearly not good enough at this level, and we just have to make the best of it until then. We already know how much Nigel wanted to strengthen at the back in the summer. For 'whatever reasons', that did not happen.

Who is to say, ultimately, that with the tools we currently have at our disposal, that another manager would do any better? It's not like Jose Mourinho or Arsene Wenger are going to be queuing up to take the job, afterall. :p

Either way, if it is true that Nigel is "under orders" in some way, however great or small, the one thing that I really feel is 'unfair', is that the Club continue to remain silent on this, and allow pressure to build on our manager, if there are things beyond his control, that we do not know about.

I know Nicola Cortese likes to conduct his business behind the scenes, and I do respect that. Yet, under current circumstances, now would be a very good time for another of those "rare interviews" of his.

Communication is such an important tool, particularly during difficult times. It is amazing how much more support and understanding can be generated, if we are kept 'in the loop' now and then, and allowed the opportunity to come to a more informed opinion for ourselves as to what is happening at our club.

Even just a little comment along the lines of "we are trying to implement a new philosophy throughout our Football Club, and we understand that this can take some time to get things right. Everyone at the club is in full support of Nigel as he does his best to work within the framework we have set in place, and we ask for your continued support as we look to take Southampton FC to the next level", - would be nice.

Now, I certainly do not have the temerity to "tell you what to think", or the arrogance to believe that my opinion is in anyway "better" than yours. But I for one, do want to be 'on the record', - whether I be "right" or "wrong" - as stating that (for me) Nigel deserves our support during these testing times, and the chance to bring in the players he feels will put right our problems at the back, in the next window.

I know. If things continue as they are, it could well all be too late by then. :(

But, the Premier League is not the "be all and end all" for me. Supporting Southampton Football Club is.

And whilst it is great to be in the top flight, where we feel we 'belong'; I for one, would rather go back down (if it comes to that) and continue to enjoy my football in the Championship, with the breath of fresh air that is the honourable and amiable Nigel Adkins, than attempt to cling onto the coattails of Premier League survival, with the likes of a corrupt, miserable, saggy-faced c*nt in charge of the Club that I love.

Call it Loyalty, or call it madness. Either way, that's my colours nailed to the mast. :)

No one earns a full season of heavy defeats... What about the people that would get made redundant if we go down

What about the millions of £££ of we go down.. What about the kids favourite players that have to be sold...the feel good would be shot to pieces

Look at the teams that have gone gown. All managers have gone. One of which was loved at Bolton... Not done them much good sticking with him

Three teams will go dowm - that is an absolute certainty. Neither we nor any other club has a God given right to be in the premiership. If any club outside of the top 4 or 5 organises their budget on the basis of staying the premiership then they are reading the manual according to Pompey. Adkins has been relegated before and brought his team back. I am not saying that I want relegation -far from it - but it is not a reason for explosive expulsions from your rear end. And even favourite players can be replaced.

Are we going to have one of these threads after every game?

Yup it's quite boring to see the this

Win = NA Stays dw boys NA will lead us to the promise land

Lose= NA out, he is so out of his depth wtf are you doing NA

rinse and repeat every week untill NA finally gets fired.

I think we should sink or swim with him,he deserves it after 2 fantastic seasons.I alway feel loyalty pays off.

Kelvin Davis, dean hammond, billy sharp etc all say hi

Players are quickly replaced if they are deemed not up to it so managers should have the same scrutiny

If the Southampton way is to ship 3+ goals every week then **** it. Not going to get 50% of the youth team in the 1st team any time soon if ever.

We have tried revolution not evolution this year with 4-3-3. Anderlect showed us up and not much has improved since. We should have it in our locker but both J and RL often seem totally isolated.

Gaston and j rod both have potential but there fees would have sorted our defense out.

Last year we had round pegs in round holes but this year it's the complete opposite.can't be so rigid and bloody minded.

Edited by doggface

My opinion on GK position.

Gazza has been doing alright, but who is my first choice for this season......Boruc of course, that´s a no-brainer.

Yes he is not fully match fit but he will never be that if you dont give him games.

Playing U21-games will not get him what he needs and therefore you have to give him 3-4 more games to fully see his capability.

So for me, that choice isn´t that surprising if you look at a bigger picture.

Agreed. It's not as if we haven't tried other options, and although he wasn't totally faultless yesterday, I really think the defenders (excuse my assumption) really let him down badly.

Football is all about winning and striving to play in the best league in the world but now we are here there are loads of you who are saying they don't mind going down,sticking with a manager that is clearly struggling.

I for one don't want us to go down and I was praying that NA could get it right but there has to come a cutoff point when we say enough is enough,Unless NC is happy for us to go straight back down (which I can't imagine he is as he seems like a very ambitious fella) then he has to bite the bullet and realise that it's not working and employ new tactics,if this involves a change of manager/coach then so be it.

The likes of Ferguson and wenger are the exception,for the rest of the 96 clubs in the leagues the reality is a ride on the managerial merry go round,a lot of you may not like it but tough,we are not special,we are just like the majority of the other teams in the league and have a need to change the manager when required.

Me,I don't really give a rats arse who the manager is as long as we win more games than we lose and play some nice football that is worth forking out to watch but it seems that a lot of you are stubbornly willing to accept the inevitable without even giving ourselves a fighting chance.

If there is to be a change of manager (which I am certain will happen sooner than expected) then I think NC will want to do it before the transfer window so the new man gets a chance to buy/loan the ammunition to do the job of keeping us in this league.

NC is not a fool,IMO he will not allow Adkins to take us down,he knows that it would be a financial disaster and his job is to maximise the investment of the liebherr family not to stand by and blindly stick with a manager and formation that is badly struggling to compete against a team that we brushed aside in the championship.

Yesterday the contrast between how far both teams have come since promotion was glaringly embarrassing,Adkins must know that and you bet your life that NC knows that so if nothing is done to rectify it before the next game then I'm sure that all of you 'I don't care if we get relegated' brigade will probably get your wish.

Edited by lordswoodsaints

If the Southampton way is to ship 3+ goals every week then **** it.

Not going to get 50% of the youth team in the 1st team any time soon if ever. QUOTE]

Agreed. Looking back ...decades... those successful youth players only succeeded and helped the side when introduced into a well-organised, team set-up with experienced players around them.

At present we lack both, and using " youth players" isn't going to help us out of this situation.

I really want to see him succeed more than anything. I don't know why he's making these random calls this year, our success has come from keeping it simple and keeping everything consistent. The only thing we've been consistent on this year is conceding and losing heavily.

To be honest, I don't think we have the players to really play the formation he wants. With Ramirez back, it will inject a bit of balance into proceedings but until then we should just go back to basics.

It's very concerning when you start with your 3rd GK of the season, successful and consistent teams don't chop and change the GK. Gazzaniga did nothing wrong against Fulham, and he didn't deserve to be wiped out of the equation.

So, I'm frustrated because I just feel he's so much better than this but you get the sense that he is beginning to become blinded by sheer panic.