Adkins Poll

Tractor_Saint

Adkins  

819 members have voted

1. 1. Adkins

Other than we looked a worse side after those subs were made, lost all the momentum we had in the game and sat back and invited pressure? You're right, there's no evidence at all that they cost us.

Jos has been a disaster zone at the back this season. He shouldn't even be on the bench, though due to poor defensive signings in the summer, he's actually starting games! Therefore you could argue that some of the individual errors can be blamed on NA.

We were inviting pressure in both games before any subs were made. If Adkins had done nothing and we lost, we'd be criticising him for that instead.

Regarding Jos, he doesn't have much choice at the moment but to play him. Adkins needs an oppotunity to play our strongest available 11 for a period of games.

Although I'm getting totally fed up with Adkin's Guly fixation (it was the same with Strachan/Telfer and Burley/Jermaine Wright) I say keep him as he will be totally qualified to get us back up once we get relegated which is where we're, surely, heading (after Saturaday's complete shambles).

17th and a cup run was always good enough for me in our first season back. Others may have wanted more, but that's enough for me. Depending on how we play the rest of the season, I might even keep Adkins if we go down. Mcmenenemy relegated us before promotion and the cup win.

We've been spoilt by a manager who earned his shot, and has worked his way up through the non-leagues. He has delivered back to back promotions over two seasons at the first time of asking. He has us playing attractive football (if somewhat open).

Yet some on here want him sacked after 8 games. 8. What a ****ing joke. Do people think that is truly a 'fair crack of the whip'. Who should we appoint? Steve Bruce? Mick Mcarthy? Harry dickhead Redknapp (The amnesiacs and Tvvats favourite. Little clue, he was a bungy manager then who didn't give a sh1t, nothing has changed now).

Oh and just because the same posters make 100 different threads on the same subject, does not mean the 'silent majority' want him gone. It just means you're making a circle jerking 'echo chamber' of "sack the manager" that nigh on 70% (comfortably over 2/3) of users who want Adkins to stay on here can't be bothered to get into, beacause you'll just bore them to death by spamming the threads.

Ah. You see. When NA was interviewed post-Fulham, you could see he was livid with how 'open' Saints were (I agree: they are far too open at times) so that most certainly is not his choice: it's the failure of the players to be consistent throughout the whole game. If they were/could be consistent then we'd have won far more points and games.

The defence keeps making errors and we have not other options. It's not NA's fault, it's also a long way to go. 8 games is nothing and there are still plenty of positives.

Then whose fault is it? I say our defensive frailties are entirely his fault. He should've signed 2 quality, proven CB's and a 'keeper in the window. He didn't.

Then whose fault is it? I say our defensive frailties are entirely his fault. He should've signed 2 quality, proven CB's and a 'keeper in the window. He didn't.

Boruc is a good enough keeper, he just had a bad game.

I don't think NA directly signs players, well not on his own. He certainly wanted a LB and another CB as he said it all window for whatever reasons we didn't get them, I also don't think anyone at the club thought our defenders would be making so many individual errors. Team shape and set up is ok and before Saturday had been getting a lot better but the players keep making f*ck ups, not sure how those can be blamed on NA.

Yeh but it's not always that easy to sign players. There are a hundred reasons why a player doesn't sign. Whether it be the club doesn't want to sell, they don't want to move, or a number of complications down the line.

I agree we needed at least an additional left back to what we have/got (absolute minimum), as we seem to have no depth a full back with the current injuries. But it's not always that straight forward though. You can't magic prooven premier league defenders though. Especially not as a newly promoted side.

I was going to say that too not sure many of his signings about from Clyne are top class

I was going to say that too not sure many of his signings about from Clyne are top class

Aside from Clyne and Davis (Who I think has done OK), none of the other signings have had a real run in the side either through injuries (Ramirez) or because they've been shunted around the side to cover injuries/fit the new system (Yoshida/Rodriguez).

Also I think Mayuka has looked promising off the bench and think he should get a chance to start over Puncheon, who seems to waste every good attacking position he gets into.

Well he has spent 30M, with at the moment quite disastrous results. You did not need incredible eyesight to see that our defence was going to be under severe pressure when we did get promoted.

With this in mind we have not bought a top class defender and now shipping 3 goals a game is the result at the moment.

In all honesty this reminds me of our relegated year from the prem, you could never feel safe with even a 3 goal lead.

After all the highs over the last few years, this is hard to get used too.

But it is going to happen on a very regular basis without a doubt.

At this moment in time Adkins who I admire greatly is totally out of his depth.

If we could keep a clean sheet at least, you would have some hope.

To me, if someone worked for me and they are not producing the goods I will find someone that will

Life`s a ***** so what.....we are a poor man`s Blackpool at the moment.

You cannot expect to spend that amount of money and get returns like is happening.

Sort it or get sorted..........The only way is up (optimism a lonely word)

For me that was the story of that game. First half Jos handled him really well I thought. Then second half he started dropping everytime Jos went near him. Almost as if their manager said to him - if you hit the deck you might get something. That happened and he kept doing it. After that game I have a very low opinion of Carroll!

Exactly what I was saying after the game. Rickie has to put up with a lot more than this and gets chuff all. Yet this pony tailed idiot got away with fooling the ref. People say Caroll is a big strong player, yet he went down as though he was made of paper!

Yeh but it's not always that easy to sign players. There are a hundred reasons why a player doesn't sign. Whether it be the club doesn't want to sell, they don't want to move, or a number of complications down the line.

I agree we needed at least an additional left back to what we have/got (absolute minimum), as we seem to have no depth a full back with the current injuries. But it's not always that straight forward though. You can't magic prooven premier league defenders though. Especially not as a newly promoted side.

Don't you know TSW has pound for pound, post for post, the most entrepreneurial whizzes on all mongboards. We're blessed to have so many individuals with daily experience of handling and conducting multi-million pound transactions. It's like an exclusive snapshot of the Sunday Times rich list.

Even more amazingly they are able to share their commercial wisdom while spending so much time on here in defiance of the old chestnut that time is money.

Edited by shurlock

Exactly what I was saying after the game. Rickie has to put up with a lot more than this and gets chuff all. Yet this pony tailed idiot got away with fooling the ref. People say Caroll is a big strong player, yet he went down as though he was made of paper!

Anyone who wears a pony tail deserves to get it pulled in my opinion. In fact, the Laws of the Game should be altered to ban them as dangerous along with jewellery, knives and all that stuff. Someone might get their studs caught in it, or their fingers or something.

Anyone who wears a pony tail deserves to get it pulled in my opinion. In fact, the Laws of the Game should be altered to ban them as dangerous along with jewellery, knives and all that stuff. Someone might get their studs caught in it, or their fingers or something.

While I agree with your sentiments, I reckon his ponytail should be fair game simply because it makes him look a right tw*t. In common with every other male that wears one, tbpf.

I would keep him, but then I won't blame him if we go down. He deserves a chance and I want a stable fooball club which we will get with him. I also think that if he was really in the mire with NC that he'd be gone already. Although, his interview in the echo suggests he has lost confidence and is worrying about the sac. Fear may cripple the man which is a worry.

He has my vote, and I would have him as the man to take us out of the championship if we get relegated, it was a 5 year plan after all and perhaps we went up early. However we got the parachute payments in the bank, we will make our money for players we CHOOSE to sell and the remaining players are on long term contracts with wages to be paid fro the PP. If we go down it will not be that bad. We have certainly been for worse, and i think we would be in a position to come back stronger and come back better for it. Maybe I am a dreamer no?

I would keep him, but then I won't blame him if we go down. He deserves a chance and I want a stable fooball club which we will get with him. I also think that if he was really in the mire with NC that he'd be gone already. Although, his interview in the echo suggests he has lost confidence and is worrying about the sac. Fear may cripple the man which is a worry.

He has my vote, and I would have him as the man to take us out of the championship if we get relegated, it was a 5 year plan after all and perhaps we went up early. However we got the parachute payments in the bank, we will make our money for players we CHOOSE to sell and the remaining players are on long term contracts with wages to be paid fro the PP. If we go down it will not be that bad. We have certainly been for worse, and i think we would be in a position to come back stronger and come back better for it. Maybe I am a dreamer no?

Are you me in disguise, did you come through a tear in the time zone ?

I wasn't at the game. Having seen the 'highlights' on Saints Player, I feel better than I did from listening to the game and reading people's comments. I think Boruc should have saved both of the first two goals. Adkins said he expected Boruc to dominate the 6 yard box, but he did anything but for those two goals.

I want Kelvin back please!

Yes Adkins has clearly lost it; he has no idea how to manage a football club. The last 2 years were complete flukes. Over this period Adkins was able to get the players to pass the ball around extremely well and score a fair number of goals, playing largely attractive football which was widely acclaimed and acknowledged (in a league which most people felt you couldn't 'play nice football in' to be a success.

This year, however, he's lost the plot. Suddenly he doesn't know his arse from his elbow. A likely story.

(said with a sprinkling of sarcasm)

What NA has done & how he sets the team up and the football we play is superb.

The PROBLEM is the defence and trying to play in the PL with players who let's face it were in the main an average nPc Defence.

IF you set up a system with a DoF in all but name who recruits players with a team of scouts and a Chairman who must then close the deal you CANNOT simply blame (and change) the Manager.

This defence needs Houdini to keep us up, not another manager.

Those who say SRL should have started Saturday and blame NA because of that have a valid opinion. Equally valid is the fact that although we lacked the "goal threat" we showed FAR more movement and passing with JRod on the pitch than with SRL. Also, who made the AL goal with a perfectly timed run in the box, good control and an excellent pass to AL?

What we SHOULD bedoing is anything possible to bring in out of contract PL Experience defenders BEFORE the January Window - it will be too late then.

Give NA the right tools we have a good team on that pitch

But we won't and it will be a massive mistake

What we SHOULD bedoing is anything possible to bring in out of contract PL Experience defenders BEFORE the January Window - it will be too late then.

Completely agree with that. The season is half over by January and we could be too far behind to make up ground. But .... realistically who is available that meets the above criteria? Silvestre? Who else?

Why does replacing Adkins means 10 years of managerial changes?

sorry, should have explained what happened after Nichol got sacked.... c'mon, I am presuming you have been around for a while, have you not noticed a pattern with our managers? In fact, is Adkins the longest serving since Nichol now anyway?

It is really about the long term ambition of this club, the realistic one - not CL ****** etc.

If it is about evolving playing attractive and entertaining football ala Barca, bringing through 50% of your squad/team from the academy but only achieving EPL status year in year out, then fine, stick with NA. Let him run this club, top to bottom and develop it into a new version of say, Everton.

However, it the real ambitions are bigger than this, then I would say work should be done now to bring in the likes of Hoddle. I am not a big fan of Hoddle, mainly because he is a knob, but he can play football, sort the defense, has experience that NA will never get (probably), and I think he has done the big jobs etc. cant see him coming here and f-king off after two years, will probably want a little more stability, and i think he would jump at the chance.

If it means get rid of NA and bring in someone like Peter Reid or Gordon Strachan - whats the point?

:thumbup: As I type 75% of the 800 respondents from Saintsweb forum back Nigel - given our current circumstance that is as clear an indicator of the fans opinion of the man that you will see. Maybe I'm having a sentimental moment but that does make me a bit proud of what our club is and what our supporters believe in.

Is it worth noting that significant numbers of people will be avoiding this forum so they don't have to read a load of cobblers about Adkins being crap, and therefore the sample is skewed...?

:thumbup: As I type 75% of the 800 respondents from Saintsweb forum back Nigel - given our current circumstance that is as clear an indicator of the fans opinion of the man that you will see. Maybe I'm having a sentimental moment but that does make me a bit proud of what our club is and what our supporters believe in.

Some good points here, I left it a few days coming back here because I knew there would be some massive overreactions and some idiotic posts, and you can see all the threads still kicking about. The idiotic minority with a grudge/agenda will always have more motivation and be more vocal so even the 25% is far from accurate

However the sensible posters in the main know what's going on and it's good to see most people not panicking. Lets just get behind the team and the manager and hopefully we will see an improved performance on Saturday.

sorry, should have explained what happened after Nichol got sacked.... c'mon, I am presuming you have been around for a while, have you not noticed a pattern with our managers? In fact, is Adkins the longest serving since Nichol now anyway?

What happened 20 years ago.. Or even 10 years ago has absolutely no bearing on what might happen of Adkins is replaced

Why of the new manager was here for 25 years and we won everything?

What happened 20 years ago.. Or even 10 years ago has absolutely no bearing on what might happen of Adkins is replaced

Why of the new manager was here for 25 years and we won everything?

So if Adkins goes tomorrow and we have a new man in for Spurs and we get hammered 5-1... would this new manager have 7 more games to improve or be sacked as well?

I know people have been talking a lot about Adkins subs (bit of a red herring imo) but what do you believe a new manager would achieve, bearing in mind that because of the clubs philosophy, they can't just come in and make us shut up shop and lump it to Lambert or change our way of playing dramatically at all.

Without knowing all the facts its hard to call, I want Adkins to succeed obviously but if the transfers that were bought in were all his choices then he needs to be held accountable, its not that the players he bought in were poor but the fact he never addressed the defence was suicidal. If Cortese has his fingers in to many pie's then he needs to take a step back and let Nige get on with his job, if he can't see we desperately need defenders then god help us!

Without knowing all the facts its hard to call, I want Adkins to succeed obviously but if the transfers that were bought in were all his choices then he needs to be held accountable, its not that the players he bought in were poor but the fact he never addressed the defence was suicidal. If Cortese has his fingers in to many pie's then he needs to take a step back and let Nige get on with his job, if he can't see we desperately need defenders then god help us!

Given his comments regarding Ramirez when we were chasing him, it's pretty safe to say NC was the driving force behind that one. I reckon Clyne, Davis and J Rod were NA signings and the rest NC/LR signing's... just my opinion.

So in your view, in 2012 - not 2004- who is the best man for us now ? NA or GH ?

Good question. I think NA should at least be given to Christmas.

Hoddle has the experience and tactical astuteness but he has not managed a premier team for some time.

In all honesty, I am not sure that the relegation battle is coming as a surprise to the board and we could stick with NA long term as I really do believe we have a yoyo strategy.

are ipwswich wrong to keep Jewell...after all, has has got promotion from league 1 and the NPC in very quick succession..?

eh? They've never been promoted, always wobbling in the bottom half of the NPC. I'm gobsmacked he's still there, his record as Ipswich manager is shocking but you cannot say he's not been given time. Only a matter of time though, he's had a decent wedge to spend.

eh? They've never been promoted, always wobbling in the bottom half of the NPC. I'm gobsmacked he's still there, his record as Ipswich manager is shocking but you cannot say he's not been given time. Only a matter of time though, he's had a decent wedge to spend.

But he has these promotions on his CV

My point is. There is no given what so ever that Adkins is some sort of super manager... And at the mo. results are not helping him