Pointless Early 2013/14 Kit Speculation Thread

The9

That's basically Sunderland's shirt from this year with our badge on it.

That's the problem with stripes. Somehow we've got to make them look unique/different from the likes of Stoke, Sunderland

Back in the day, our kit always seemed one step behind Sunderland's. Anyone else think that?

Brentford kit is now out, striped and made by adidas. Looks like a terrible mock-up but is actually the real thing - and has a white "arrow" under the armpit, even though it's a teamwear kit straight out of their catalogue.

Brentford-Fc.jpgestroredwhite__11890_std.jpg

Kit-Launch-2013.png

Edited by The9

On a side note, will the outgoing kit be on sale soon?

Want to get one for my son, who's a big fan of it. Told him there would be a newer, better design shortly, but he's having none of it!

The club always used to sell off the outgoing kits from around April time. Since the arrival of Mr. Cortese this no longer happens. He's obviously keen to milk every penny where possible. I seem to recall the Sash kits being reduced in price but not until June/July time.

The club always used to sell off the outgoing kits from around April time. Since the arrival of Mr. Cortese this no longer happens. He's obviously keen to milk every penny where possible. I seem to recall the Sash kits being reduced in price but not until June/July time.

Sash kits were only left in XXL as every other size completely sold out before the end of the season and I don't think they reduced them at any point. They shifted a fair few of the black away shirts from that season at 50% off from the last week of the season though.

Last season they sold off the yellow shirt (which we ended up wearing more than the white in the Prem) and the mainly white home kit both at a piddling 25% off, a couple of weeks after the season ended.

We used to sell them at £10 a shirt in the summer, or there was the chance of an even better bargain at the concourse sales.

I checked online earlier, and everything's full price, except the away socks in adult size, which are sold out.

Did anyone notice the kit that the ground staff were wearing on Sunday?

They weren't wearing their normal Umbro gear, it had a makers symbol on it that looked like a small Reebok or Diadora symbol.

I'm starting to think this is a wind up now, we've already done corner flags. :D

Sash kits were only left in XXL as every other size completely sold out before the end of the season and I don't think they reduced them at any point. They shifted a fair few of the black away shirts from that season at 50% off from the last week of the season though.

Last season they sold off the yellow shirt (which we ended up wearing more than the white in the Prem) and the mainly white home kit both at a piddling 25% off, a couple of weeks after the season ended.

We used to sell them at £10 a shirt in the summer, or there was the chance of an even better bargain at the concourse sales.

I checked online earlier, and everything's full price, except the away socks in adult size, which are sold out.

Cheers for that. I knew I'd picked up one of the shirts cheap but couldn't remember which one. I thought it was the sash but the more I think about it the more I think it was the yellow away shirt. The season before I definitely picked up the home shirt and that awful Navy/Yellow kit cheap. There was no way I was going to pay full price for that. My least favourite Saints shirt ever but when you've got every shirt since the late 70's you just have to get them for the collection.

Cheers for that. I knew I'd picked up one of the shirts cheap but couldn't remember which one. I thought it was the sash but the more I think about it the more I think it was the yellow away shirt. The season before I definitely picked up the home shirt and that awful Navy/Yellow kit cheap. There was no way I was going to pay full price for that. My least favourite Saints shirt ever but when you've got every shirt since the late 70's you just have to get them for the collection.

I am considering sacrificing my "collection" for the sake of not buying the white kit which I still don't (yet?) have...

Me too, not so much the collar style though I like the nacvy with the stripes - but this was also their 2012 shirt, so it's already out of date. Plus rumours are we're not getting stripes.

watermarked_thumbnail.aspx?img=28629&photoNum=1&t=I&catalog=SoccerMLS&w=600&h=600

I actually have a Chivas Guadalajara shirt from their parent club circa 2008, made by Reebok, has a massive navy panel, big chunk of red as well as the stripes, and BIMBO advert on the front, always good for a laugh.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRpjbOdE24KNdqNkaCMhXyA09h23Boiv2WZ_bYtHGIQnTE2jGvYJg

Edited by The9

From the game on Sunday I was speaking to someone who has some loose connection to the club, and apparently Mr Cortese really doesn't like the idea of stripes and instead prefers the idea if solid blocks of colours. Hence the all red and all white kits, and never the twain shall meet. Their belief was that we won't see stripes again under this ownership.

no idea if true or not, just passing on what I heard.

From the game on Sunday I was speaking to someone who has some loose connection to the club, and apparently Mr Cortese really doesn't like the idea of stripes and instead prefers the idea if solid blocks of colours. Hence the all red and all white kits, and never the twain shall meet. Their belief was that we won't see stripes again under this ownership.

Not the first time we've heard this, but not really the f'cking point, is it ? :hunt:

Wonder if he hates the Barca kit.

Yeah and AC Milan (is that his club, there's been links before?) and Inter, Juve, etc., etc.

Did anyone notice the kit that the ground staff were wearing on Sunday?

They weren't wearing their normal Umbro gear, it had a makers symbol on it that looked like a small Reebok or Diadora symbol.

Didn't notice the symbol but did notice the club badge was silver.

Me too, not so much the collar style though I like the nacvy with the stripes - but this was also their 2012 shirt, so it's already out of date. Plus rumours are we're not getting stripes.

watermarked_thumbnail.aspx?img=28629&photoNum=1&t=I&catalog=SoccerMLS&w=600&h=600

I too like our 'original' red and white stripe kit with navy shorts and socks. I'd have no problem if we went back to that, it looks far better imo. And don't worry about it being 'p*mpey' blue because their traditional colours are pink, we'd just be reclaiming it WTFILN ;)

Incidentally, on the subject of the ground staff kit, unless they weren't doing the lap of the pitch on Sunday, they were wearing Umbro, because everyone doing the lap was in Umbro kit of some sort (except the red/white No 1 Supporter t-shirt wearers).

I have found a pic of them not wearing all Umbro though, so there's obviously some areas not provided for :

PR4064-Southampton-FC-570x455.jpg

Edited by The9

If this is the case then they are doing it all wrong !

Very few sales will be achieved on a kit which is widely known as becoming obsolete within weeks, if they had reduced them by a sizeable percentage prior to the season end when potential customers were around, they would have cleared old stocks, improved turnover speed and added some turnover !

"A 'mark up' is only a 'mark up' once the article is sold" is a fundamental retail principle and holding on to redundant stock is not a sensible option !

Having said all that, my guess is that it's the store buyers/managers who will be making those decisions rather than Cortese himself, but I could of course be wrong on that count !

If this is the case then they are doing it all wrong !

Very few sales will be achieved on a kit which is widely known as becoming obsolete within weeks, if they had reduced them by a sizeable percentage prior to the season end when potential customers were around, they would have cleared old stocks, improved turnover speed and added some turnover !

"A 'mark up' is only a 'mark up' once the article is sold" is a fundamental retail principle and holding on to redundant stock is not a sensible option !

Having said all that, my guess is that it's the store buyers/managers who will be making those decisions rather than Cortese himself, but I could of course be wrong on that count !

I'd be very surprised if the Megastore and West Quay store managers weren't getting told precisely what they can do regards pricing directly from the top. They always reduced shirts at the same time every season before the current ownership, and I don't doubt that was Chairman-led too. I agree they're "doing it wrong" as well - but then I would, I'm just waiting for the opportunity to mop up the home shorts, socks and away kit and spend about £50-£60 in the process, but if they don't reduce it, there's literally no chance I'm paying full price for stuff the team is never wearing again and which is being replaced in a few weeks.

Of course, the need to shift stock before rebranding the stores makes me think there will be a flash sale of kit before adidas take over.

Edited by The9

I'd be mighty ****ed off if we go yet another season without stripes. Sash kit was done as there was an historic reason. This red kit is crap and clearly for the Asian marketing. To do it again is really overstepping the mark.

Bring back stripes after a year without and the fans will love it. Naturally we'd sell more.

I'd be mighty ****ed off if we go yet another season without stripes. Sash kit was done as there was an historic reason. This red kit is crap and clearly for the Asian marketing. To do it again is really overstepping the mark.

Bring back stripes after a year without and the fans will love it. Naturally we'd sell more.

i agree with you, but all other rumours I've seen suggest that it won't be stripes again. If so, we'll have done a mini-Cardiff. The red shorts and socks bother me the most; just never have been Saints. That and I think this seasons kits look like cheap tat.

What I don't understand is that it's just a kit. Why would Cortese risk the abuse when all it is is a kit. Fans like being traditional therefore the majority will want us to return to our proper kit, whereas I'm not sure what Cortese would gain from changing it to something else.

What I don't understand is that it's just a kit. Why would Cortese risk the abuse when all it is is a kit. Fans like being traditional therefore the majority will want us to return to our proper kit, whereas I'm not sure what Cortese would gain from changing it to something else.
I'd imagine he's well aware by now that Saints fans will happily lap anything up, so I doubt he's remotely bothered to be honest.

Far stretch there.

I don't mind the red kit, but it just annoys me that we've seen so many great mock-ups with stripes that we will probably never see in reality...

It's a bit different having a admittably not stripey striped shirt - this years pinstripe, and just having zero stripes all together.

But then it would make sense to kind of ease the design in, as we're use to red now.

I still would rather have proper stripes though, so much better than just red.

It's a bit different having a admittably not stripey striped shirt - this years pinstripe, and just having zero stripes all together.

But then it would make sense to kind of ease the design in, as we're use to red now.

I still would rather have proper stripes though, so much better than just red.

It might look crap, cheap, boring, not saints etc., but the red for asian marketing thing is just based on some daft individual at Cardiff. I think several billion Asian people deserve more credit that 'liking a team cos it's red'. But then, Real Madrid, Barca, Chelsea, City, PSG, Inter and Juve clearly have no Asian fans.

Where did I say we've done it for the Asian market? Think you've got the wrong person, fella. Good rant though.

Who does that Cortese think he is, stripes are our tradition and besides Katherina Liebherr likes them.

Through work I have had contact with a company that is involved with SFC and they have hinted to me that some players have had photos taken in the new kit,one is believed to be gaston.......don't shoot the messenger!

Morgan too.

Unfortunately, no one would protest cos they would think their protest won't work. But, actually, if sales of the shirt were poor, very poor, then I'm sure Cortese might rethink it. People will buy it tho.

How about arranging a match day when everyone, everyone who wears a replica shirt that is, wears a striped shirt and sings 'we are red and white, we are red and white'?

Unfortunately, no one would protest cos they would think their protest won't work. But, actually, if sales of the shirt were poor, very poor, then I'm sure Cortese might rethink it. People will buy it tho.

How about arranging a match day when everyone, everyone who wears a replica shirt that is, wears a striped shirt and sings 'we are red and white, we are red and white'?

Need to find out if it's genuinely a problem and people are actually bothered before making any plans for that kind of stuff - a few "We are Southampton, we play in stripes" chants might be a good start.

Or how about just not buying the shirt if its not stripes? You can bet that if they only sold 10% of normal sales there would be a bloody big re-think for the next season.

Or how about just not buying the shirt if its not stripes? You can bet that if they only sold 10% of normal sales there would be a bloody big re-think for the next season.

Unfortunately, you have suckers like me.

Is the kit really that important to people? Can't help feeling the majority of fans will buy whatever we wear. Yes saints gave traditionally been stripes but personally I would rather not look like a TGI Friday waiter who has just finished his shift so more likely to buy a plain red shirt.

Is the kit really that important to people? Can't help feeling the majority of fans will buy whatever we wear. Yes saints gave traditionally been stripes but personally I would rather not look like a TGI Friday waiter who has just finished his shift so more likely to buy a plain red shirt.

From what I've seen on here you're in a significant minority in preferring the red to stripes, we had a poll last season. I think most people will accept it for one season for "a change" but to go away from stripes altogether is a change in the club's identity, and that's not something people want or have asked for. To be honest if it is plain red again it's another sign of Cortese's contempt for the club's traditions and fans, and another sign that he just doesn't get, or doesn't care, about the way people feel about it. One season is a one-off, two in a row ? Just changing things we like and are comfortable with for no good reason.

That's what I implied in the 2nd sentence.