Pointless Early 2013/14 Kit Speculation Thread

The9

There will be no gaps in the collection! !

I felt like that until this season, but I dislike the current ones so much I've only got one home shirt which I bought from a mate, not the club - the white kit was a stupid idea so I decided not to bother on that one even though I liked it better than the red - but if they don't cut the price of the home or away stuff in the next few weeks I'm probably just not going to spend that other £100, and once I've broken the chain, where's my incentive to buy a new one (especially one I don't like) after that ?

I have a ten quid gift voucher at home from Christmas - i.e. I've sat on it for nearly 6 months. That is completely unprecedented, and entirely down to Cortese's short-sightedness on the kit design and the stupid parking charges. I'll say it again, they're just throwing money away by doing things people don't want to see.

kit will be launched 1st week in July. exact day TBC

load of old horse s punk. Why dont they launch it in June or something. Every year I go on holiday im sporting a Saints shirt from the previous season. NC out.

I thought the previous lot had it right with 3 kits in rotation, a new home kit one year, new away and third the next, with (in the "away" year) one coming out right as the season finished and the other just before the start of the season, but we're now in the era of 2 new kits every year so we can forget the wonder of 2 year home kits (and indeed 3 year home shorts and socks).

Usual daft thoughtless nonsense, launch the bloody thing at the end of the season, that way you get some enthusiasm off the back of the previous season as WELL as all the excited people for the new season who aren't so bothered about the kit that they're hanging on for a launch.

About the only thought they put into last year was the launch date being staggered to make the West Quay store look really busy on launch day, when actually they only shifted about a thousand shirts.

Would you be happy if the shorts/socks/trim was blue?

I'd be fine with us sticking with red/white stripes but re-introducing navy shorts instead of the black we switched to circa 1950. It actually looks really good.

I'd be fine with us sticking with red/white stripes but re-introducing navy shorts instead of the black we switched to circa 1950. It actually looks really good.

As would I. A big fan of the Athletico Madrid kit. Plus would set us aside from the likes of Sunderland and Stoke.

No objection from me either if we did this.

From what I've seen on here you're in a significant minority in preferring the red to stripes, we had a poll last season. I think most people will accept it for one season for "a change" but to go away from stripes altogether is a change in the club's identity, and that's not something people want or have asked for. To be honest if it is plain red again it's another sign of Cortese's contempt for the club's traditions and fans, and another sign that he just doesn't get, or doesn't care, about the way people feel about it. One season is a one-off, two in a row ? Just changing things we like and are comfortable with for no good reason.

Is that reality or just the few who make the most noise are assumed to represent the majority. Any poll has to be carefully worded and have a not too fussed option as I don't believe as many are truly as bothered as you think?

I don't, like the stripes that much. I don't think that's our identity at all. Perhaps it's because I grew up in the era of the rank zerox, Hummel shirts etx

Is that reality or just the few who make the most noise are assumed to represent the majority. Any poll has to be carefully worded and have a not too fussed option as I don't believe as many are truly as bothered as you think?

Pretty sure the poll was "do you like the kit". And results were overwhelming. As was a similar poll on the Echo site.

Being that it is a football kit then no one is ever going to be that "fussed".

Still means the vast majority would like us in something resembling red and white stripes.

Nice try.

If you started watching Saints in the 80s like I did you grew up with us not wearing stripes that whole decade so for those of a certain age stripes aren't that important. I would suggest that our 3 best kits haven't been stripes. The Keegan one, the sash and the plain red one with white and black bits on the shoulders. It only seems to have been so Important since mboards have given people somewhere and something to whine about.

Pretty sure the poll was "do you like the kit". And results were overwhelming. As was a similar poll on the Echo site.

Being that it is a football kit then no one is ever going to be that "fussed".

Still means the vast majority would like us in something resembling red and white stripes.

Nice try.

No it doesn't? It means they didn't like the red kit not they wanted stripes?

Don't follow your logic?

If you started watching Saints in the 80s like I did you grew up with us not wearing stripes that whole decade so for those of a certain age stripes aren't that important. I would suggest that our 3 best kits haven't been stripes. The Keegan one, the sash and the plain red one with white and black bits on the shoulders. It only seems to have been so Important since mboards have given people somewhere and something to whine about.

That plain red one was f*cking horrible. I'm surprised a man renonwned for blazing such a trail of fashion would find appreciation in that kit. Yuck.

Also MLG will be along soon to tell you that the Rank Xerox kit was in fact a striped kit; just very large stripes. But you're right, that and the sash have been by far our best kits, a lot of the stripey kits we had have been utterly garbage. I'd still prefer a return to stripes, but being as I only buy a kit to wear at 5 a side, I have quite a simple process: don't like the kit, don't buy it. It works for me.

Agree with this except the red kit I liked the Denmark one but in a minority there I suspect!

That plain red one was f*cking horrible. I'm surprised a man renonwned for blazing such a trail of fashion would find appreciation in that kit. Yuck.

Also MLG will be along soon to tell you that the Rank Xerox kit was in fact a striped kit; just very large stripes. But you're right, that and the sash have been by far our best kits, a lot of the stripey kits we had have been utterly garbage. I'd still prefer a return to stripes, but being as I only buy a kit to wear at 5 a side, I have quite a simple process: don't like the kit, don't buy it. It works for me.

Not fashion Krackers, style. The two things aren't the same.

Maybe I'm nostalgic because it was the first one I ever owned and i was the first one to have it at school. Still remember going into sportskit and my mum buying me it, £9.50 was the cost of the shirt.

I'm not fussed on kits, can't remember the last time I brought one, although i do have the retro keegan kits in red and white and blue. im not fussed on stripes or not although I'd like a return to the Keegan kit, I might even buy one if we did.

Not fashion Krackers, style. The two things aren't the same.

Maybe I'm nostalgic because it was the first one I ever owned and i was the first one to have it at school. Still remember going into sportskit and my mum buying me it, £9.50 was the cost of the shirt.

I'm not fussed on kits, can't remember the last time I brought one, although i do have the retro keegan kits in red and white and blue. im not fussed on stripes or not although I'd like a return to the Keegan kit, I might even buy one if we did.

As I say, I only buy a kit for 5 a side, where I play regularly with a group of mates and we sort into teams of whites v darks. The flip side of that is that you can't really wear a red and white striped top, as its neither properly white nor dark......so really I should hope for plain red, I suppose. My sash shirt has held up well and is still going strong; I do love that shirt, it would be great to retain that as a third kit of sorts (though given how little the all white was worn last year its probably a pointless exercise).

Ooh here's an idea, maybe a red and white inverse version of the sash kit. Eh? Eh??? To be fair, anything that doesn't look like an 80s Liverpool kit would be a step up.

No it doesn't? It means they didn't like the red kit not they wanted stripes?

Don't follow your logic?

Jesus. Whatever. Have it your way.

The gigantic majority that didn't like this seasons kit were objecting primarily to the stitching, or the detail on the collar or the lengths of the sleeves or something.

It only seems to have been so Important since mboards have given people somewhere and something to whine about.

Probably more so but not exactly true. Back in the day of the original Ugly Inside paper fanzine they ran the S.I.C.K. campaign (Saints In Conventional Kit) after years without stripes.

And when you look back http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Southampton/Southampton.htm there have been a few variations to stripes over our history and for the first half traditionally blue shorts and socks.

2vkb62o.jpg

...must have been Movember.

That shoulders one was terrible. Agree about the other two. My all time favourite is easily the Hummel Denmark one, which was barely stripes of course.

None of those make our current kit good. Its sh it.

That shoulders one was terrible. Agree about the other two. My all time favourite is easily the Hummel Denmark one, which was barely stripes of course.

I seem to be in the minority on that shoulder one then! I'm putting if down to nostalgia.

I liked the Denmark one as well, not as much as the other 3 though.

All of them better than the current one and the away one is only beaten to worst one by the ecru number we had c1996 and hardly wore either. Although I think that may have been a third kit.

I like watching the team play in stripes but actually prefer wearing non stripes myself. Think the sash was great and actually quite like the current kit, I am happy to see us in non stripes if it looks good. The real test is if it sells well, not what the vocal minority think.

Jesus. Whatever. Have it your way.

The gigantic majority that didn't like this seasons kit were objecting primarily to the stitching, or the detail on the collar or the lengths of the sleeves or something.

Ooooh stroppy when proved wrong? Nice try!! Again you made up facts to suit your agenda where is your proof!

I will await your sarcastic reply

Ooooh stroppy when proved wrong? Nice try!! Again you made up facts to suit your agenda where is your proof!

I will await your sarcastic reply

Poll on this forum. Poll on the Echo. Do you like the kit.

Huge majority, huge, on both saying no.

Other than that, no proof. Sorry about that.

Would be happy if we changed our home kit colour to blue?

If the performances over the last 3 years were maintained then yes. I support saints because I love watching football and I'm addicted to this club and this city. They can play in pink as far as I am concerned. But probably would not buy the shirt lol. As fit the other comments I accept I am in a minority on this forum but talking to people in the real world I get a very different ambivalent view

As would I. A big fan of the Athletico Madrid kit. Plus would set us aside from the likes of Sunderland and Stoke.

It's Atletico, not Athletico. ;-)

With the rumour that Cortese wants us playing in Red, White & Green (The colours of the Italian flag) then I think there's more chance of Green shorts.

FWIW, I think the rumour is a load of ********.

Poll on this forum. Poll on the Echo. Do you like the kit.

Huge majority, huge, on both saying no.

Other than that, no proof. Sorry about that.

Think we are at cross purposes?

We both agree the red kit wasn't popular.

I don't believe that the huge majority actually are too bothered about stripes or not (as long as the kit looks good), some people think they are bothered and we have to have stripes. The polls never asked that question so they don't prove either way.

Unless someone does a poll we will have to agree to disagree!!

I don't believe that the huge majority actually are too bothered about stripes or not (as long as the kit looks good), some people think they are bothered and we have to have stripes. The polls never asked that question so they don't prove either way.

Out of interest, what other reasons for not liking the kit would there be other than it isn't red & white stripes?

Didn't like the pinkish Hummel Denmark design but thought Hummel did our best stripes shirts.

I thought it was that it looked like an old liverpool kit and that it looked like a park standard template kit?

I think that's the point, isn't it? That it looked like a Liverpool kit and not a Saints kit i.e. based in some way on stripes or on our history. That and the red shorts/socks as a complete deviation from our recent and past history.

I think that's the point, isn't it? That it looked like a Liverpool kit and not a Saints kit i.e. based in some way on stripes or on our history. That and the red shorts/socks as a complete deviation from our recent and past history.

Bingo.

Does anyone know if they are on sale yet? #twitches#

You talk about people being "bothered". The poll results suggest a more than reasonable degree of folk being "bothered" by our current kit.

I would suggest if this seasons kit was red/white stripes, any poll on it would have shown that, in general, people being"not bothered", with a handful of perfectionists/nutters bothering to hate it or love it.

If you want to maximise people not being "bothered" by our kit, just churn out a red and white striped kit.

Your mistake is interpreting "not bothered about stripes" as "lots of fans want exciting, different kit designs".

They don't. They aint bothered. It's just a kit.

So if we have a poll about the sash kit and everyone says they like it...we then have a fan base who don't want stripes back?

So if we have a poll about the sash kit and everyone says they like it...we then have a fan base who don't want stripes back?

The sash kit was a complete one-off as an anniversary kit. But then you know this, so I shouldn't have to point it out.

You talk about people being "bothered". The poll results suggest a more than reasonable degree of folk being "bothered" by our current kit.

I would suggest if this seasons kit was red/white stripes, any poll on it would have shown that, in general, people being"not bothered", with a handful of perfectionists/nutters bothering to hate it or love it.

If you want to maximise people not being "bothered" by our kit, just churn out a red and white striped kit.

Your mistake is interpreting "not bothered about stripes" as "lots of fans want exciting, different kit designs".

They don't. They aint bothered. It's just a kit.

Fair enough! But I still think if the red kit looked good enough people would have voted different therefore stripes may not be the issue.

The sash kit was a complete one-off as an anniversary kit. But then you know this, so I shouldn't have to point it out.

Sorry yeah I just think that the majority just want a kit that looks good not that is stripes which is why the sash was so popular. Different story if we went away from red but that probably just helps cb's point!

Sorry yeah I just think that the majority just want a kit that looks good not that is stripes which is why the sash was so popular. Different story if we went away from red but that probably just helps cb's point!

I'm not sure where you're going with this. But most of the criticism I've seen of the kit is that it isn't stripes, and it doesn't really represent Saints at all. I've never heard that criticism of any other home kit before. There have been other striped kits that have been slightly unpopular (Pony tick for instance) but nothing that has caused a negative reaction that this one did, predominantly for the fact that its a non-Saints kit. You may see it differently, but thats certianly not the impression I got from reading the threads on here. Loads of people didn't like it, because its not stripes.

I'm not sure where you're going with this. But most of the criticism I've seen of the kit is that it isn't stripes, and it doesn't really represent Saints at all. I've never heard that criticism of any other home kit before. There have been other striped kits that have been slightly unpopular (Pony tick for instance) but nothing that has caused a negative reaction that this one did, predominantly for the fact that its a non-Saints kit. You may see it differently, but thats certianly not the impression I got from reading the threads on here. Loads of people didn't like it, because its not stripes.

In my experience in the real world about 10 maybe 20% desperately want stripes the rest are not too concerned. That may wrong so I'll concede that's only the circle of people I know and most of those grew up with the different kits so are less 'saints are stripes"

My own perception is stripes aren't a major issue either way but you'll always have the 20% screaming the loudest.

We are going round in circles but come the end of the day when it's released in July if it ain't stripes some may not buy it, lots will and the important bit is on the pitch not the design of the kit

In my experience in the real world about 10 maybe 20% desperately want stripes the rest are not too concerned. That may wrong so I'll concede that's only the circle of people I know and most of those grew up with the different kits so are less 'saints are stripes"

My own perception is stripes aren't a major issue either way but you'll always have the 20% screaming the loudest.

We are going round in circles but come the end of the day when it's released in July if it ain't stripes some may not buy it, lots will and the important bit is on the pitch not the design of the kit

Without wishing to labour the point, I think you're missing the point.

Saints fans will forgive a kit if it hasn't got stripes, so long as it has a bit of a nod towards tradition and is actually decent. The sash is a prime example of that, it was one of the most popular kits we've ever had. The Rank Xerox wasn't stripes as such but had enough red and white to be a firm nod to it being a Saints kit; the Hummel Denmark kit also. these are two of our more popular kits from yesteryear. The Pony kit was stripes and utterly horrendous, but forgiveable because it was stripes. Same for our European kit, absolutely dreadful striped kit but red and white nonetheless.

The reason there was a consensus on here and the Echo where, from memory it was over 90% that didn't like the kit, was because a) it wasn't anywhere near being a Saints kit in terms of what has gone before and b) it was utterly sh*te. The only saving grace at the time was that it was only a kit for one year, and there was a common belief/hope that we'd go back to something more traditional this season.

I'd prefer a Rank Xerox kit, and I know many others who would too, so your whole "Saints are stripes" doesn't really hold true. But I do look for a kit to be Saints related in some way, and quite obviously others do too, so if we persist with an all red kit liek this season's I fully expect a poll with results akin to last year, no matter how good the design is.

Without wishing to labour the point, I think you're missing the point.

Saints fans will forgive a kit if it hasn't got stripes, so long as it has a bit of a nod towards tradition and is actually decent. The sash is a prime example of that, it was one of the most popular kits we've ever had. The Rank Xerox wasn't stripes as such but had enough red and white to be a firm nod to it being a Saints kit; the Hummel Denmark kit also. these are two of our more popular kits from yesteryear. The Pony kit was stripes and utterly horrendous, but forgiveable because it was stripes. Same for our European kit, absolutely dreadful striped kit but red and white nonetheless.

The reason there was a consensus on here and the Echo where, from memory it was over 90% that didn't like the kit, was because a) it wasn't anywhere near being a Saints kit in terms of what has gone before and b) it was utterly sh*te. The only saving grace at the time was that it was only a kit for one year, and there was a common belief/hope that we'd go back to something more traditional this season.

I'd prefer a Rank Xerox kit, and I know many others who would too, so your whole "Saints are stripes" doesn't really hold true. But I do look for a kit to be Saints related in some way, and quite obviously others do too, so if we persist with an all red kit liek this season's I fully expect a poll with results akin to last year, no matter how good the design is.

I think for me, the main problem isn't as much the lack of stripes but the that that Saints play in red and white shirts. This year's kit was red with a hint of white in the trim and the pinstripes. It was about as red and white as Man Utd or Liverpool's traditional colours.

I wouldn't have liked it but I'd have had more sympathy if we'd come out with something similar to Arsenal's red shirt, white sleeve set up than this year's Liverpool Crown Paints tribute.

I think for me, the main problem isn't as much the lack of stripes but the that that Saints play in red and white shirts. This year's kit was red with a hint of white in the trim and the pinstripes. It was about as red and white as Man Utd or Liverpool's traditional colours.

I wouldn't have liked it but I'd have had more sympathy if we'd come out with something similar to Arsenal's red shirt, white sleeve set up than this year's Liverpool Crown Paints tribute.

Yep, that's entirely my point. The Rank Xerox wasn't stripes but was Saints related enough for people to like it. Same for the Hummel kit, same for the sash. This new kit was red, and the shorts and socks red too, which we've never done, so it just doesn't register as a Saints kit. Add in the fact that its an utterly sh*t design and looks cheap and naff, and its not going to go down in the annals as a popular kit.

I'm intrigued to see what the reaction will be to next season's kit if, as expected, its another all red monstrosity. I think we have enough lemmings in the fanbase hat will buy it come what may, but all red is a stretch too far for me for being a longer term option. 1 year was forgiveable, full time, no chance.

Yep, that's entirely my point. The Rank Xerox wasn't stripes but was Saints related enough for people to like it. Same for the Hummel kit, same for the sash. This new kit was red, and the shorts and socks red too, which we've never done, so it just doesn't register as a Saints kit. Add in the fact that its an utterly sh*t design and looks cheap and naff, and its not going to go down in the annals as a popular kit.

I'm intrigued to see what the reaction will be to next season's kit if, as expected, its another all red monstrosity. I think we have enough lemmings in the fanbase hat will buy it come what may, but all red is a stretch too far for me for being a longer term option. 1 year was forgiveable, full time, no chance.

Is this really expected? Hope not...

I was hoping for revisit of Rank Xerox or maybe the c1976 kit with variable width stripes.

Is this really expected? Hope not...

I was hoping for revisit of Rank Xerox or maybe the c1976 kit with variable width stripes.

Its what I've heard from 2 or 3 different sources. I absolutely hope not, I'm with you either for Rank Xerox or a decent striped kit. But I posted on here a page or two back that I'd heard Cortese doesn't like stripes and prefers solid bands of colours instead. Plus a few rumours on here that it'll be all red again.