Pointless Early 2013/14 Kit Speculation Thread

The9

So from different sources we've now heard "Cortese hates red and white" and "Cortese wants red, with some white, because it's Swiss colours". Anyone can say anything online with absolutely no evidence whatsoever.

I can't see it not being some kind of red and white, and even the "adidas" rumour seems to be based on one "joint megastore" rumour that no-one else has had any input into.

By this time LAST year a few of us had already seen a pic of the kit and were drip-feeding hints into threads (well, I was). Haven't seen a thing this year, but I'd be very surprised if the deal wasn't already done and the kits weren't already made.

As for "pick a decision he's made that's been wrong. Not easy", I can't believe people like that actually exist.

It will be Adidas that is one thing for sure, i know people who work inside Adidas, it will be only available via the club also.

So they've said "we're making Saints' kit" but nothing about the colour or style ?

Dell-sized mentality on the club-only thing, and I find it amazing that Cortese has kept this, of all Lowe's policies. I thought we were meant to be expanding into some kind of global merchandise megalith ?

It will be Adidas that is one thing for sure, i know people who work inside Adidas, it will be only available via the club also.

So that you don't get anyone into trouble by revealing what the kit looks like.....please can you describe what it doesn't look like.... cheers :)

Presumably the club will have decided that we wouldn't sell enough outside of the city/region yet to make it worth doing deals with retailers, giving them a cut etc.

Saints have probably decided that they can't compete with Pompey's marketing strategy for their new kit.... http://www.portsmouthfc.co.uk/LatestNews/news/Pompey-Partner-With-Sondico-4361.aspx

Pompey CEO Mark Catlin said: “We are proud to announce our new partnership with Sondico Professional.

“Throughout negotiations with us they have demonstrated that they have a real desire to engage with our team. They understand our history and what a big club this is.

“They have offered us not only an outstanding commercial deal, but a genuine desire to work with Portsmouth in the community.

“It’s a fantastic start to the deal to say, hand on heart, that we believe we have the cheapest shirts in English football and hope to see as many kids as possible in the south-east wearing them.

“The deal helps us to recognise our huge and geographically-spread supporter base by taking Pompey back out to the whole regional community of supporters.”

So from different sources we've now heard "Cortese hates red and white" and "Cortese wants red, with some white, because it's Swiss colours". Anyone can say anything online with absolutely no evidence whatsoever.

I can't see it not being some kind of red and white, and even the "adidas" rumour seems to be based on one "joint megastore" rumour that no-one else has had any input into.

By this time LAST year a few of us had already seen a pic of the kit and were drip-feeding hints into threads (well, I was). Haven't seen a thing this year, but I'd be very surprised if the deal wasn't already done and the kits weren't already made.

As for "pick a decision he's made that's been wrong. Not easy", I can't believe people like that actually exist.

I guess that the reason there has been no leaks is due to a few key things needing to be sorted yet

I guess that the reason there has been no leaks is due to a few key things needing to be sorted yet

The kit will almost certainly be sat in a warehouse somewhere in Bangladesh or China ready to ship already.

I'm not so sure

Everything I've read about kit production mentions about 2 month lead times from finalised design, so assuming we plan on selling kit from, say, the first week of August, then, yeah, there is about another month before we'd have to be confirming production.

However, as we're switching manufacturer (apparently to adidas) there's every reason to believe they'd want their presence on all of our branding as early as possible, which would be from the end of this season in a couple of weeks' time. In which case the stuff would most likely have been commissioned at least 6 weeks ago and be ready to ship in a few weeks' time.

Everything I've read about kit production mentions about 2 month lead times from finalised design, so assuming we plan on selling kit from, say, the first week of August, then, yeah, there is about another month before we'd have to be confirming production.

However, as we're switching manufacturer (apparently to adidas) there's every reason to believe they'd want their presence on all of our branding as early as possible, which would be from the end of this season in a couple of weeks' time. In which case the stuff would most likely have been commissioned at least 6 weeks ago and be ready to ship in a few weeks' time.

I think you may be closer to the mark with the August date, from what ive heard.

As I mentioned, things need agreeing ASAP before the big green button can be pressed.

Edited by SO16_Saint

Very interesting. Sounds like the final design has not been signed off yet by all parties. As the 9 said, this would be fairly rare, but we are southampton and we (cortese) do what we want.

An early launch seems out of the question then, but expect the adidas leisure wear from June or early July IMO.

I think you may be closer to the mark with the August date, from what ow heard.

As I mentioned, things need agreeing ASAP before the big green button can be pressed.

Mmm,is this a subtle hint to add some creedance to rumours the kit will have some green cunningly woven into it.

FWIW West Ham have signed a 2 year deal with Adidas wef 13/14.

Since there's talk of other teams deals I've heard talk that Arsenal have signed a massive deal with Puma for circa £30m per season!

Can we have Puma please?!

Since there's talk of other teams deals I've heard talk that Arsenal have signed a massive deal with Puma for circa £30m per season!

Can we have Puma please?!

would be happy with that.. love what they do with the Italian kits

A few of adidas' latest releases...

Marseille "Jeans" third kit :

MSL1.jpg

which you might notice has the same template pattern as the new Wolfsburg shirt : VFL.jpg

Schalke have the big V neck style (of Milan's away kit and Celta Vigo) : SCH.jpg

Whilst Milan's 3rd kit (with horrible pocket) has the curved sleeved piece :

AC3.jpg

and the same template style as the Ajax away shirt :

AJX21.jpg

Nothing new though, all templates that have already been seen.

Two that I have seen a do think might be used could well be the Vancouver WhiteCaps and the Montreal kits. Both Adidas, very smart and could fit our style (both obviously in Red as primary colour with white 2nd colour).

Vancouver WhiteCaps Home Kit 2012-2013

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/news/2013/02/vancouver-whitecaps-fc-launch-mls-primary-kit

47927536.jpg

Montreal Home Kit 2012-2013

impactthirdfrontformatt.jpg

As you all know, I love kit mockups so will be doing a few when the new templates for next seasons kits come out to see what they look like.

The Vancouver kit is last year's template so we won't get that, and the Montreal away one's already been posted (and is the same style as Milan 3rd, Ajax away, Sporting Kansas "tennis shirt", and Sounders home also already posted). There are a few different stripe styles around though, as well as the Montreal away, there's the thinner stripes (with pinstripes) of the Milan home, and the Portland Timbers broad stripe. There's also a broad striped Philadelphia Union shirt (home or away) but that's last season's template too.

Something like that in red and white would be perfect, please. I can't see a return to red and white stripes this season though.

It's alright, I think I'd like to see a bit of black in the trim and probably a different style collar. Adidas seem to be mixing up the collar styles across all of their kits and they have plenty of them to choose from. Red or white sleeves ?

I predict bold stripes. e.g 2 / 3 stripes similar to this Saints kit:

$T2eC16RHJGIE9nnWqySlBRPkRc!ze!~~60_35.JPG

but with red being the predominant colour and a white middle stripe as I think that is the way Cortese wants us to go.

However, I would be more than happy to continue using the pinstripes in some form as it makes us different to every other striped club in the Premier League.

By the way, has anyone considered horizontal stripes? With QPR and Reading leaving the league, this opens up a potential marketing opportunity with red and white hoops?

Edited by itchen_dan

It's alright, I think I'd like to see a bit of black in the trim and probably a different style collar. Adidas seem to be mixing up the collar styles across all of their kits and they have plenty of them to choose from. Red or white sleeves ?

I liked the adidas mock up earlier in the therad, so whatever that is!

My ideal would be a smar recreation of the Rank Xerox; fat chance, I feel. God only knows what wacky creation we'll get this year. I'm fully expecting to be entirely underwhelmed by it; I just hope there might be something I might choose to buy for 5 a side and that doesn't have the terribly naff massive sticky label plastered over the front (which it clearly will FFS).

I predict bold stripes. e.g 2 / 3 stripes similar to this Saints kit:

However, I would be more than happy to continue using the pinstripes in some form as it makes us different to every other striped club in the Premier League.

Almost Rank Xerox, so I wouldn't be averse to that. Although i really have no issue with the fact that other clubs play in red and white stripes. Its us, its what we're known for, and trying to create a new brand identity out of white and grey pinstripes isn't for me.

I liked the adidas mock up earlier in the therad, so whatever that is!

My ideal would be a smar recreation of the Rank Xerox; fat chance, I feel. God only knows what wacky creation we'll get this year. I'm fully expecting to be entirely underwhelmed by it; I just hope there might be something I might choose to buy for 5 a side and that doesn't have the terribly naff massive sticky label plastered over the front (which it clearly will FFS).

The broad stripe is the Portland Timbers home and away style - goes with the big ugly V neck though in the only styles that have been released so far...

The broad stripe is the Portland Timbers home and away style - goes with the big ugly V neck though in the only styles that have been released so far...

Be interesting to see the 2013/14 Ajax home shirt when released (away shirt featured above), doubt that will be buggered up by the V you refer to above, so a simple reversal of their kit will do nicely I hope. Although I doubt it will be anything as smart or conventional.

Just seen that Adidas have a sash design in the range this year, with Wolfsburg.

VFL-Wolfsburg-13-14-adidas-home-football-shirt-b.jpg

Could of course also be available with a red sash, but probably falls within the criticism often seen on here "looks too much like a training top".

^^ Looks like a training ground top to me.

I don't see why. What's the definition of a training top?

But as I say, if the white was a bit narrower with a bit more detail (such as the black piping) where the red meets the middle white part and it would be perfect, for me anyway.

I don't see why. What's the definition of a training top?

But as I say, if the white was a bit narrower with a bit more detail (such as the black piping) where the red meets the middle white part and it would be perfect, for me anyway.

Agree actually. I understand the training top criticism but, frankly, this actually looks nice and includes some level of red and white stripes. Not seen much better if im honest but haven't liked a saints shirt for a while with the exception, funnily enough, of the 125 year sash one.

Just seen that Adidas have a sash design in the range this year, with Wolfsburg.

Could of course also be available with a red sash, but probably falls within the criticism often seen on here "looks too much like a training top".

Posted it on the last page - judging by the adidas "prints" they're using this season (see Montreal red home kit and Sporting Kansas "tennis" shirt for example) they could print a sash on any of their templates. I'd rather we left the sash in the past for a bit and wore predominantly stripes for a few seasons.

i don't like the shirts with the deep v neck design, and the timbers one is ok, but i don't like the fake stitching effect up the side.

That's a "sawtooth" effect, so would be unique to the Timbers. I just couldn't be arsed to faff about removing it from the mock up.

This one is my favourite, but could be made better if the white middle section was just slightly narrower.

I don't like that at all, far too plain, far too much white, not stripes in any realistic way and not really a broad stripe either - so as such I agree that the white is too wide. Needs a lot more red. Plus, as I keep pointing out, it's last season's template so we won't have that anyway.