• Rodriguez
    • Fox
    • Davis, S
    • De Ridder

We played better at stoke but they equalised with a stunner

I was critical as I thought we should have won given the circumstances

You just can't complain how you win away from home in such a massive game

There is something wrong with you alpine

We held on. You would do your nut had benteke scored!!!

The only negative I would take is that for all his great all round play, Rodriguez just simply does not carry the goal threat that lambert. Rickie was in the hole and as a result spent more time further away from the goal.

But we had no choice with GULY and lallana out... At least one should be back for the Everton game

Edited by Thedelldays

Rodriguez just simply does not carry the goal threat that lambert.
worrying that when put clean through he could not outpace Baker to score. Perhaps Baker is quick. He looked a good player to me.

Anyone else impressed by Delph. Thought he looked a very good footballer. Not seen him play before.

Rodriguez. Really worked hard and created a lot for us with his runs which put Villa under pressure. Getting throw ins and what not from situations which otherwise would have just been Villa getting it back up the field.

I wonder if that is going to be our tactic away from home. Play him and hit the channels a lot rather than try playing through the middle like we do at home. Wortked well at Stoke first half and worked yesterday as well.

I've voted boruc for man of the match that was probably the best goalkeeping performance we have had this season , now Nigel no more rotation with the keepers please .

Onto jay rod who I've given a lot of stick to this season, it was probably his best performance in a saints shirt so far . Excellent energy and running

It's just the end product that was lacking he'd make a great run through on goal then lose control at the pivotal moment , or his final ball would let him down, much better performance though 10 out of 10 for effort

Rodrieguez. Really worked hard and created a lot for us with his runs which put Villa under pressure. Getting throw ins and what not from situations which otherwise would have just been Villa getting it back up the field.

Completely agree with this. Although he may not have put the ball in the net, he kept us on the attack by not allowing them time on the ball. I lost count of how many times he chased the ball forcing Villa to out it out. The boy has a good touch and can run with the ball. Well done fella.

Of the teams below us we have played them 6 times - Won 5 (Villa x 2, QPR, Newcastle, Reading) and lost 1 (Wigan).

Shows IMO that we are not one of the worst 3 teams and that we deal well with the pressure of a big game...usually.

It was evident last season as well that Adkins is very good at getting results against teams we are better than / equal to. We rarely shock teams above us but we usually do the business when we ought to. It's probably a sign of good psychological preparation

Playing into the channels for Rodriquez to run onto was a sensible tactic and worked well. It's one I reckon we'll see again in away matches. Big win and a great day out. I like Brum. The Morris Dancers in the Shakespeare Tavern were surprisingly enjoyable. The Wittan Arms was unreal. Lots of Frenchman in there for some reason.

It was evident last season as well that Adkins is very good at getting results against teams we are better than / equal to. We rarely shock teams above us but we usually do the business when we ought to. It's probably a sign of good psychological preparation

We were in the top two all of of last season so hardly many games at all where we were playing teams above us.

We got given a goal for artistic merit.

Benteke should have got Villa a point, which looking at the highlights they deserved.

3 points is 3 points, but this was not the manner of victory we were all hoping for - be honest.

Sorry to quote him, but how can anyone who didn't watch the game make the statements he does. Having watched virtually the whole game, we deserved a win, had chances that were as good as Villa's, and surprisingly came under a lot of pressure for the final 20 mins from a team that realised losing to us might do them permanent damage.

We played very well for 70 mins, and defended too deep for 20. If you are going to moan about the performance, at least watch the game or the full highlights.

Really enjoyed that game yesterday apart from the last 10-15 minutes when we were really negative and unable to keep hold of the ball at all - very similar to the Stoke match. Because of that we were lucky to come away with 3 points, but over the whole game were by far the better team.

Boruc was very solid apart from distribution a couple of times.

Shaw was superb and I hope he's not out for any length of time because Fox is not up to the job!

Yoshida made couple of errors to day that were pretty worrying, but still looks more solid and composed than Hoiveld who just is not reliable enough for this level.

Clyne not at his best, but I didn't think he was a bad as some made out.

Morgan and Cork were pretty solid and played their part in repelling Villa's poor attempts to attack. I wish they could attack though.

Gaston failed to deliver enough end product, but battled hard against some "robust" attention from Villa.

Puncheon got into some great positions but needs to make better decisions (like many wingers)

Lambert was constantly fouled and unable to win much in the air, but it was a great penalty and he was better than most at keeping the ball and getting his head up.

JRod ran himself into the ground and if only his finishing was better, would have been my MOTM.

I wonder if that is going to be our tactic away from home. Play him and hit the channels a lot rather than try playing through the middle like we do at home. Wortked well at Stoke first half and worked yesterday as well.

He plays through the middle away from home but bends his runs - a bit like what Lee did last season when he played. Doing so also makes the pitch a lot bigger.

The more important point is that Rodriguez has a bit of pace whichhelps keep defenses honest. Frankly we were pretty wasteful yesterday - I haven't seen a team play such high line as Villa for ages and we were springing them with pretty routine balls. Would be interested to see what Mayuka could do in a similar role. After all, he was able to spring a Sunderland side which defended very deep. IMO he would have a field day away from home.

I think it was more like £6m. Still a lot, but I thought he looked good on the ball, a strong direct dribbler, very comfortable in posession. I didn't really watch him defensively, nor how often his oasses were cut out. He isn't the biggest lad either. There are a lot worse players.

worrying that when put clean through he could not outpace Baker to score. Perhaps Baker is quick. He looked a good player to me.

Anyone else impressed by Delph. Thought he looked a very good footballer. Not seen him play before.

When he was put through I immediately looked to see where Guzan was, looked back and Baker had made it back round, I didnt even consider that Rodriguez wouldnt not get one on one with Guzan.

Delph was scrappy and broke up play a lot and he doesnt mess around with his tackles. Baker made a number of good tackles running towards his own goal. Again though the only way a defence could cope with Lambert was just to foul him, got no protection from Halsey

I think it was more like £6m. Still a lot, but I thought he looked good on the ball, a strong direct dribbler, very comfortable in posession. I didn't really watch him defensively, nor how often his oasses were cut out. He isn't the biggest lad either. There are a lot worse players.

He looked good but horribly out of position. For me he lent him self to be playing in a much further forward role as his tackling and positioning for a Defensive midfielder was shocking (and relied entirely on pace to get him out of the problem).

Get him in front of a Cork + Morgan midfield and he would provide a lot more to a team, but Villa just haven't any players like that...

He looked good but horribly out of position. For me he lent him self to be playing in a much further forward role as his tackling and positioning for a Defensive midfielder was shocking (and relied entirely on pace to get him out of the problem).

Get him in front of a Cork + Morgan midfield and he would provide a lot more to a team, but Villa just haven't any players like that...

Because they would cost a lot of money and I don't think they have any. Few of our fans seem to appreciate that we have a 10/15 million £ pairing acquired for less than 2 million £

Edited by Window Cleaner

Playing into the channels for Rodriquez to run onto was a sensible tactic and worked well. It's one I reckon we'll see again in away matches. Big win and a great day out. I like Brum. The Morris Dancers in the Shakespeare Tavern were surprisingly enjoyable. The Wittan Arms was unreal. Lots of Frenchman in there for some reason.

For me he's got to do better when he gets to the byeline though, at least twice he used his pace well and broke in behind, got to the byleine but his cutback/pass was weak and he seems off balance. He did the same against Arsenal. His touch/composure in the box needs to improve and he'll be a very good striker, we've seen he can finish when he's in the right body position, he's got pace and decent presence/strength but time and time again he struggles to sort his feet out when a telling pass or shot is needed. He's a bit headless chicken at the moment, the air of someone who's a bit too big for their body and they are struggling to control their limbs.

Because they would cost a lot of money and I don't think they have any. Few of our fans seem to appreciate that we have a 10/15 million £ pairing acquired for less than 2 million £

Would cost a lot of money for the standard of Cork and Morgan you mean ;)

I don't think they have any players that can really do that sort of role, let alone any good ones! You're right though we don't quite appreciate how brilliant Cork and Morgan's signings have been in the long run, a Chelsea supporting mate of mine was livid they didn't make space in the squad for Cork and sold him for a tenth of his value (his valuation).

Would cost a lot of money for the standard of Cork and Morgan you mean ;)

I don't think they have any players that can really do that sort of role, let alone any good ones! You're right though we don't quite appreciate how brilliant Cork and Morgan's signings have been in the long run, a Chelsea supporting mate of mine was livid they didn't make space in the squad for Cork and sold him for a tenth of his value (his valuation).

The whole economy of football relies on idiots like Abramovitch being duped into paying huge sums for players he doesn't need.

It's money that football doesn't generate , could be considered as a sort of export really. Cork is probably better than both Mikel and Ramires and doesn't get cards in the same way.