• Cork
    • Puncheon
    • Lambert
    • Rodriguez
    • Fox
    • Davis, S
    • De Ridder

Brilliant three points but ...

I'm bemused that we still farted around on the edge of Villa's penalty area when they have proven themselves time and again to be horribly vulnerable to the early ball played behind their central defenders.

Our build-up play was very good in the first half, and an early ball through the back row could have seen us three-up at half time.

uzu3y9ab.jpg

such a close table, pitty Reading, QPR and Wigan got something today although a win against Chelsea would be nice :p

Shaw was my MotM, good performance from Morgan and Cork, Yoshida very tidy again he needs a good partner, JRod played the best game i've seen him play so far, Punch again played very well.

Lambert was class as was Morgan for me, Boruc has a great game, personally i wouldn't have him MOM i would say as a whole Lambo his work rate and class balls were amazing and helped us attack quick using punch and jay rods movement, both benefited from it, he was doing gastons job, he is much better in the middle.

Boruc - 8: A couple of great saves, good close handling under pressure, kicking sometimes awry but the best performance from him so far.

Clyne - 4: Worst game I've seen from him yet. Shakey in defence, not much of an option going forwards, made a few mistakes in costly areas. He's a much better player than that.

Yoshida - 6: Very last ditch at times, and dominated by Benteke, but a clean sheet is a clean sheet.

Hooiveld - 5: Not a Premier League defender. didn't even use to his height and strength to subdue Benteke. We need a replacement asap.

Shaw - 7: Such a good player, and if he can learn to improve his final ball we'll really be talking about him as the next Gareth Bale.

Schneiderlin - 6: Battled well, some good spells but very much overrun in the second half.

Ramirez - 3. Thought he was especially poor throughout. Corners and set pieces were dreadful, gave little cover to Shaw, and didn't offer much going forwards. Could/should have gone off earlier.

Cork - 6: Typical combative performance but like Morgan got a bit overrun in the second half.

Puncheon - 7.5: Lively showing and always loked a threat, hit the post when a goal would have deservedly capped a good day for him.

Lambert - 7: Some excellent touches, flicks and passes. Excellently taken penalty, though he never got himself into a goal scoring position from open play.

Rodriguez - 7: Very good movement and tireless running that took the pressure off at times. Could have had one or two goals himself but lacked the composure required when he got himself into the box.

Fox - 4: Was the right substitution to come on for Gaston, but he seemed to think he was playing left back. Gave Shaw some cover while they were both on but no attacking threat at all.

Davis, S - 5: Not on for long enough to make a lasting contribution, did what was required.

De Ridder - 5: Like Hooiveld, not a Premier League player.

Are you scoring those on how you rate them or how they played today? Fox 4?? Hooveld 5? Football is about opinions but think you are wrong especially on Jos here.

I agree on Ramirez comments..although I would of given him 2!!!

Are you scoring those on how you rate them or how they played today? Fox 4?? Hooveld 5? Football is about opinions but think you are wrong especially on Jos here.

I agree on Ramirez comments..although I would of given him 2!!!

Just today.

Fox did a defensive job, and ordinarily would have got a 5 from me, but I just thought that when he and Shaw were both on the pitch Fox played far, far too deep and invited their right side onto us. When de Ridder came on for Shaw it improved things marginally as SDR actually had something about him to make them think about defending. Fox just sat too deep IMO.

Hooiveld; perhaps a bit harsh from me as he kept a clean sheet (but then I also gave Clyne 4 and that seems to have passed without comment). I just felt he did some things well, some things ok and other things still quite dodgy. He very rarely was able to play his way out of defence, relying on either a very long ball or trying to smash a clearance away (a few times which didn't go more than 20 yards). He did alright but on that showing I'd hate to think we'll have to rely on him in the next 3 games against Chelsea, Everton and United.

But as you say its all about opinions, and if nothing else I like ot think mine are at least honest even if you do disagree with them.

Just today.

Fox did a defensive job, and ordinarily would have got a 5 from me, but I just thought that when he and Shaw were both on the pitch Fox played far, far too deep and invited their right side onto us. When de Ridder came on for Shaw it improved things marginally as SDR actually had something about him to make them think about defending. Fox just sat too deep IMO.

Hooiveld; perhaps a bit harsh from me as he kept a clean sheet (but then I also gave Clyne 4 and that seems to have passed without comment). I just felt he did some things well, some things ok and other things still quite dodgy. He very rarely was able to play his way out of defence, relying on either a very long ball or trying to smash a clearance away (a few times which didn't go more than 20 yards). He did alright but on that showing I'd hate to think we'll have to rely on him in the next 3 games against Chelsea, Everton and United.

But as you say its all about opinions, and if nothing else I like ot think mine are at least honest even if you do disagree with them.

Ok fair enough it was just comments like "Not a Prem player"....I think De Ridder struggles at times to be a CC player but at least when he came on he held onto the ball for a second or two and Puncheon being subbed meant we didnt have anyone else to do that.

Jos and Yoshida did Ok and TBH Villa are so poor in front of goal we got away with a few clumsy clearances but football balances itself out.

Swansea never looked like scoring, Norwich were crap and Arsenal were abysmal yet we got one point yet defended pretty well apart from the odd error.

Today we got 3 but looked a bit dodgy ce la vie......to also balance we were denied a blatant penalty for Lallana at WBA that may have got us back in the game.

2 wrongs dont make a right but 3 points is ok for me tonight.

3 points, thats all that matters, I suppose.

But we got it with a dodgy peno rather than unequivocally created ourselves.

AL is injured, and our other superstar has decided he cant be bothered.

And now Shaw is injured (can you put your violin down for a bit and do something, Nicola ???) I suppose we should be grateful that various players convalesence is going to be whilst we are getting tw*ttings from the top 6, rather than against relegation rivals.

And now Shaw is injured (can you put your violin down for a bit and do something, Nicola ???) I suppose we should be grateful that various players convalesence is going to be whilst we are getting tw*ttings from the top 6, rather than against relegation rivals.

You didnt watch the game did you

Nope, you guessed right, but we had 44% posession and didnt score any goals against the worst team in the PL. Whats your point ?

We were excellent 1st half, completely dominated. 2nd half Villa came out fighting and had the lion share of possesion, as youd expect from the home side that is losing and desperate for points.

Boruc made 2 good saves but we were also very good on the break and could have scored more.

More plus points than negative today..... Thats my point

P.s we did score :)

We were excellent 1st half, completely dominated. 2nd half Villa came out fighting and had the lion share of possesion, as youd expect from the home side that is losing and desperate for points.

Boruc made 2 good saves but we were also very good on the break and could have scored more.

More plus points than negative today..... Thats my point

P.s we did score :)

I'll conceed from the highlights that Boruc has done enough to secure the GK jersey, it seems.

We got given a goal for artistic merit.

Benteke should have got Villa a point, which looking at the highlights they deserved.

3 points is 3 points, but this was not the manner of victory we were all hoping for - be honest.

Some say if you can win when you don't play well you're doing something right.

I say it shows that we're still some way off being a decent squad just yet, but 3 points is 3 points and I'll happily take that with the team we put out.

Benteke should have got Villa a point, which looking at the highlights they deserved.

3 points is 3 points, but this was not the manner of victory we were all hoping for - be honest.

We were never going to win "pretty" today, we were the away side remember. We did what was needed.

Be happy

Puncheon hit the post, Shaw, Rodriguez went close.....yep you didn't see it yet post your usual negative ****e thrush

F*cking joker.

This crap aside, I actually thought Yoshida had a decent game.

This guy is brilliant isnt he. You couldnt make him up!!

Just ignore that useless wånker Alpine, he's clueless.

Thought both teams could've got 3 or 4, ours were more clear-cut chances. Aside from the last 10 minutes or so we were completely on top, should've put the game to bed before the hour mark really.

Boruc 9 - Composed, strong, confident and focused. That's why we signed him.

Clyne 5 - First game back from an injury but struggled with N'Zogbia a bit. Will get back to his usual self soon.

Shaw 8 - Looked quality. Got the shít kicked out of him but stayed focused and kept on. What a pro.

Maya 6 - Did ok, some decent passing and good interceptions. Struggled aerially against Benteke, but then again everyone does.

Hooiveld 5 - Was alright. Doesn't have the same kind of chemistry that he does with Jose or Jose has with Maya. Beaten in air a lot and a bit off the pace but not bad.

Cork 7 - Battled, fought, pushed himself. Neat passing and kept their midfield pretty quiet.

Morgan 8 - Passing was delightful, constantly pinging 45-yarders to the other wing. Got stuck in too. Very important player for us.

Punch 6 - Scared their LB a bit, but needs to get to the byline more often imo. When he cut in from the right they just rushed bodies at him and crowded him out. Decent performance though.

Gaston 5 - HE IS NOT A FÜCKING WIDE PLAYER! Needs to play behind a striker, although with Adz and Guly out our options were pretty limited on the left.

Jay Rod 8 - Really troubled their defence. So direct, pretty nippy for a big lad and good with his feet. Should've tucked away at least one of his chances though.

Lambert 9 - Captain's performance. Was everywhere, dropped deep, pushed wide. Got the flick-on, played the ball through the defence, held the ball up. Deserved his goal.

Boruc 8

Clyne 6

Yoshida 7

Hooiveld 6

Shaw 9

Punch 6

Morgan 7

Cork 6

Gaston 4

Lambert 7

J-Rod 6.5

Fox I thought did a good job when he came on. Clearly came on as a defensive player and to try stop them getting the ball in. Shaw was fantastic I thought.

De Ridder is just awful.

Te strength of our bench was a real worry IMO, the fact out best player on the bench was ward prowse who is 18.

Take that result though, chuffed tonight despite us not particularly playing well.

Boruc 8

Clyne 6

Yoshida 7

Hooiveld 6

Shaw 9

Punch 6

Morgan 7

Cork 6

Gaston 4

Lambert 7

J-Rod 6.5

Fox I thought did a good job when he came on. Clearly came on as a defensive player and to try stop them getting the ball in. Shaw was fantastic I thought.

De Ridder is just awful.

Te strength of our bench was a real worry IMO, the fact out best player on the bench was ward prowse who is 18.

Take that result though, chuffed tonight despite us not particularly playing well.

I'd go with the ratings and most of what you say to be honest.

Being able to grind out a result whilst not playing well, is the sign of a team with a strong mentality and a real togetherness. You can't win pretty every week, and 3 points is 3 points whether that's a 4-1 or a 1-0. We're 15th, a couple of points from the drop and have been moving along very nicely for the last few months.

If anyone can't see the progress we've made in the last few months, then they are blind.

just got back and still smiling. Great three points, but boy were we lucky in the end. Benteke missed at least two, if not three open goals that would have seen 3 points go up in smoke. If we'd conceeded it would have been devastating as we had dominated the first half, without fully pressing home our advantage.

Villa were there for the taking, they looked relegation fodder at SMS and this just confirmed it to me. They will go down. However, we did allow them back in the game simply because we could not win a single header agaist Benteke. He won everything againt Yoshida and equally against Jos. They eventually saw our weakness and went long big time and we struggled to cope. We won, but we didn't play well.

Have to say I was embaressed for the Villa fans booing the ref when he stopped the game to treat Shaw. He had quite clearly suffered a bad injury and even if the didn't realise at the time, to then continue to boo even when he was being stretchered off was poor form. Tossers. They moaned about us failing to respect their 19 minute clapping at SMS, yet showed absolutely no respect for our player who may have broken a leg or worse for all they knew.

Longest five minutes of injury time ever. Boruc time wasting backfired.

Boruc 7 one or two great saves especially the deflected shot (although he palmed it straight to Benteke who thankfully missed - Davis woud get slaughtered for that), and 4 or 5 very very good clean claims low down under pressure. He looked composed and assured. Exactly what we need. One criticism would be his failure to come out towards the edge of the area ever to help defenders out. He does not sweep well, but he did everything else well.

Clyne 5 looked a tad rusty, poor first half almost getting caught a couple of times dallying on the ball, especialy early on, but also late in the second alf too. Didn't get that telepathic relationship with Puncheon going forward either.

Jos 6 some good stuff, some bad stuff. Sliced some clearances and panicked a couple of times when there wasn't a need. Won some crucial headers, but I thought he should have stuck to Benteke like glue no matter where he went. He didn't. He should have man marked him. He didn't win nearly enough headers. I've backed him on here. I was hoping for a little better if I'm honest, but he too looked rusty. He did just enough though, but no more.

Yoshida 6 equally he offered some good and some absolutely terrible. Benteke took the **** arially and made him look small. He dived in killing us a few times too. Lots of good interceptions though and composed on the ball, sometimes too casual.

Shaw 9 Outstanding game. It's easy to say nice things about him, but he just gets better and better. He skinned there right midfielder and fullback several times. He's becoming dangerous in attack to add to a solid defender. Hope the injury isn't bad

Morgan 7 excellent first half, let the game slip a towards the death as they went long. Got to pick up some second ball when oponents do that. Thought Delph (looked a good player to me) caused him problems. Set peices ****.

Cork 6 one horrific pass that put us in massive trouble, but all in all a decent showing in his correct position. Again, when the ball is lumped over him rather than through he becomes less effective defensively. Can't hit a barn door shooting wise.

Puncheon 7 lots of good stuff, ball retention, tricks, touch, but some ****, like right foot shooting/crossing, overplaying - get that cross in son. Very unlucky not to score in second half when one fantastic block prevented him.

Ramirez 4 poor, again. I keep saying it, he can't play left midfield. He is poor defensively, although not exposed today, and doesn't see enough ball. When he did see the ball he gave it away far too cheaply, again. One great pass to put JR in, and he did slow things down when needed, but must do better, especially for the money we paid/pay.

Lambert 5 won very little in the air and far far too slow on a couple of occasions. Baker did a good job on him. Not his day at all and he coukd quite easily have been subbed if we had a striker to bring on.

Rodriguez 7 it looked a pen in real time. Not seen the replays. If he dived, then I am very dissapointed as I have been with Lallana and Yoshida (for feigniing injury). I'd like my side, club to be better than the rest. Ran his absolute heart out and caused all sorts of problems with his movement. Sadly we found out that that real pace you need just wasn't there as Baker caught up with him when clean through twice. I still think he had a good game despite not doing what striker needs to do. He was a great out ball turning defensive clarances into attacks.

Davis hardly had a touch

Fox didn't do much

de Ridder, jesus he absolutely killed us several times at the end overplaying in the wrong areas

Edited by Chez

Really strange, as 5 live summed us up as ripping Villa apart. This was after 30 minutes, and the half time report they were saying how much we were in control of the game as should have been out of sight. Even after the break they did say the pressure from Villa was hitting up, but we were looking very dangerous on the counter attack.

Come on here and all I read was that we were lucky! Hmmm

3 points, thats all that matters, i suppose.

Al is injured, and our other superstar has decided he cant be bothered.

And now shaw is injured (can you put your violin down for a bit and do something, nicola ???) i suppose we should be grateful that various players convalesence is going to be whilst we are getting tw*ttings from the top 6, rather than against relegation rivals.

lol

Really strange, as 5 live summed us up as ripping Villa apart. This was after 30 minutes, and the half time report they were saying how much we were in control of the game as should have been out of sight. Even after the break they did say the pressure from Villa was hitting up, but we were looking very dangerous on the counter attack.

Wouldn't say we were lucky to win but we did ride our luck towards the end.

If we'd played with a quicker tempo 1st half we would have been out of sight.

It was actually the right hand post, not the cross bar. Bit of a snap shot as he cut in.

They can't mean that shot surely, an effort from 9 yards out against the foot of the post. Certainly not a "long-range effort crashed against the crossbar."

The summary on the home page linking to the report says "Rickie Lambert's penalty gave Saints three vital points as slumping Villa replaced them in the bottom three".

Shoddy journalism. On any other day this would really annoy me.

When we lose (but it is pointed out tyat we played well) accoring to you all that matters is the result. When we win the performance comes into play. You can't have it both ways.

A 5 for Lambert Chez?! He was outstanding today, played so many cracking passes. Commentators on the stream were creaming themselves over him!

I thought we looked shaken in defence again, so many times when Yoshida or Jos missed a header, the other one wasn't behind them to cover. At one point Shaw had to sprint over to right back to stop the ball falling to a free villa player. We will get thrashed by Chelsea if we defend like that, and Everton.

Oh and didn't think cork had his best game today either, worked hard but didn't really come off for him.

Lots of positives though, Shaw and Boruc particularly impressed and I thought Lambert and JayRod showed the beginnings of an understanding.

Puncheon is giving a lot of very strong PL left backs a torrid time this season, just needs to work on his finishing a bit. he holds the all up very well for a smaller player, and very rarely loses the ball.

first half we dominated and we started well inthe second. We could have been home free, but they missed some absolute sitters towards the end when it was complete backs against the wall for 20 minutes. Overall we perhaps desreved the win, but we were very lucky not to concede.

We sure know when to pick up points:

http://stats.football365.co.uk/dom/ENG/PR/vtophalf.html

http://stats.football365.co.uk/dom/ENG/PR/vbothalf.html

0/3/7 against teams in the top 10 (draws against Swansea, Stoke and Arsenal), while 5/3/3 (defeats against Wigan, West Ham and Sunderland) against bottom 10.

Old school Saints survival stats straight out of the 90's!

Exactly how Tony Cottee descibed it on Soccer Saturday TBH.

I was at the game and I can confirm that you are indeed clueless.

A 5 for Lambert Chez?! He was outstanding today, played so many cracking passes. Commentators on the stream were creaming themselves over him!

I am a massive fan, but I don't recall him dominating the game like he usually does. I saw him being beaten in the air constantly by Baker and on a couple of occasions when played in to feet he took ages and was robbed. 5 might be harsh, I give a 5 for average display not a poor display, but it was one if his quietest games for a long time. Rodriguez did all the work and caught my eye much more. Perhaps that's why I didn't see all this stuff worth creaming over. No big deal. He can and will play much better IMO.