• Ramirez
    • Cork
    • Puncheon
    • Lambert
    • Rodriguez
    • Fox
    • Davis, S
    • De Ridder

We are so much stronger with Lambert playing in the hole and JRod up front - JRod gets decisions because he commands the play. Puncheon REALLY needs to learn to look up and pass when attacking the box - so many chances lost because he unlocks defences and then takes too many touches. Shaw was once again magnificent. But the real accolade for me was Boruc - his smothering of the ball making his body big, towards the end of the game was world-class and there were so many occasions when he did the simple things so well. If he keeps this up, he will almost certainly be way ahead of Davis and Gazza as 1st choice keeper.

Fans did a great job - wish I could have been there. Well done to the team and supporters - a really important victory...15th and above the Toon! However, we do have some tough, tough matches coming up when we could find ourselves sucked back into the zone again - signings will be vital with the injuries piling up.

Great win. Winning when playing **** is always good!

Boruc was good today; Shaw great in the first half. Lambert a legend; J-Rod never stopped working; Ramirez cannot play wide left!

That said:

We desparately need a commanding, leading centre back. Top priority.

We have to find other options out wide. Puncheon flatters to decieve. If we play 2 up we need someone on the left that isn't Ramirez. De Ridder is ****: such poor decision-making.

I REALLY don't like that we have the habit of sitting back and trying to hold out. It's cost us too much this season.

Somehow we seemed to be in second gear for most of the game too - really didn't get going apart from 15 minutes in the first half.

Very lucky today.

Agree with all of that except SDR - normally I don't rate him but he did a lot of running and breaking up their play at the end that allowed me to breathe at times.

I wish adkins wouldn't go so defensive. When he takes off all the people who can hold the ball up / attack you just know we're going to be punting it up the field and waiting for them to attack again.

undeserved win but will take anything in our push for survival.

boruc had a few massive games that kept us in the lead, clyne looked nervous at the start probably due to being out for quite a whole hopefully he gets back to the form he was in before the injury. shaw was immense as usual and when he ran into the box and almost scored, really reminded me of a certain Gareth bale, can see he's gained tons of confidence unfortunately he has to get that injury and I hope it's nothing too serious as I can only handle fox standing in for one, two games at most.

lambert looked outstanding in his captains role and he played in so many wonderful passes especially one for Steven Davis which I still have no idea how he did not put away especially as hes supposed to be a specialized attacking midfielder. central defense looks shaky without fonte, even yoshi did not look his usual self without fonte beside him. puncheon frustrates me so much, when he's good he's genius but when he's off form he dwells so much on the ball!!

regardless, not one of our best performances but three points and we move on. hopefully with a few new recruits in the next few weeks

Boruc - 8: A couple of great saves, good close handling under pressure, kicking sometimes awry but the best performance from him so far.

Clyne - 4: Worst game I've seen from him yet. Shakey in defence, not much of an option going forwards, made a few mistakes in costly areas. He's a much better player than that.

Yoshida - 6: Very last ditch at times, and dominated by Benteke, but a clean sheet is a clean sheet.

Hooiveld - 5: Not a Premier League defender. didn't even use to his height and strength to subdue Benteke. We need a replacement asap.

Shaw - 7: Such a good player, and if he can learn to improve his final ball we'll really be talking about him as the next Gareth Bale.

Schneiderlin - 6: Battled well, some good spells but very much overrun in the second half.

Ramirez - 3. Thought he was especially poor throughout. Corners and set pieces were dreadful, gave little cover to Shaw, and didn't offer much going forwards. Could/should have gone off earlier.

Cork - 6: Typical combative performance but like Morgan got a bit overrun in the second half.

Puncheon - 7.5: Lively showing and always loked a threat, hit the post when a goal would have deservedly capped a good day for him.

Lambert - 7: Some excellent touches, flicks and passes. Excellently taken penalty, though he never got himself into a goal scoring position from open play.

Rodriguez - 7: Very good movement and tireless running that took the pressure off at times. Could have had one or two goals himself but lacked the composure required when he got himself into the box.

Fox - 4: Was the right substitution to come on for Gaston, but he seemed to think he was playing left back. Gave Shaw some cover while they were both on but no attacking threat at all.

Davis, S - 5: Not on for long enough to make a lasting contribution, did what was required.

De Ridder - 5: Like Hooiveld, not a Premier League player.

Some absolutely ridiculous comments on here about how 'up against it' we were in the 2nd half, someone even referenced Leeds away last season. Thought we were easily the better side in the first half and the 2nd was fairly even. Yes they had chances, but so did we. C'MON!!!!!

Some absolutely ridiculous comments on here about how 'up against it' we were in the 2nd half, someone even referenced Leeds away last season. Thought we were easily the better side in the first half and the 2nd was fairly even. Yes they had chances, but so did we. C'MON!!!!!

Correct, Villa were desperate in the last 20 and we were sh@gged out, we still tried to keep going forwards though. Games like that influence a whole season.

Morgan has 10 sisters or some very good male poster friends on this forum......10 votes..

Him and Cork played ok......BUT FFS..MOM:rolleyes:

When he is fair enough.......but please vote sensibly girlz:D

IF ONLY Morgan and Corky could bloooody well shoot.

Edited by ottery st mary

I just hate the way we surrender the initiative when defending a lead, we were bloody lucky to hang on in the end. Bringing on Fox and Davis just handed the midfield to them, SDR helped a bit but would have been a better replacement for Ramirez. The back four plus the two central midfielders were in charge while we defended from the front but Benteke really punished us in the air when we packed the box. Boruc let one rebound but in the last half hour earned MOM from me. Rodriguez is growing into it and needs a bit more confidence, Lambert was classy, Ramirez quiet but a good player and Puncheon worked his socks off, unlucky hitting the post. Good to see Clyne back even if a little ring rusty.

I just hate the way we surrender the initiative when defending a lead, we were bloody lucky to hang on in the end. Bringing on Fox and Davis just handed the midfield to them, SDR helped a bit but would have been a better replacement for Ramirez. The back four plus the two central midfielders were in charge while we defended from the front but Benteke really punished us in the air when we packed the box. Boruc let one rebound but in the last half hour earned MOM from me. Rodriguez is growing into it and needs a bit more confidence, Lambert was classy, Ramirez quiet but a good player and Puncheon worked his socks off, unlucky hitting the post. Good to see Clyne back even if a little ring rusty.

Know what you mean but for me SDR is just a liability and I don't think NA trusts him. He makes poor decisions and isn't reliable in those type of scenarios.

IMO NA made the right subs with what was available to him. If he had some better forward options of the bench he might have gone differently but we are down to the bare bones!

Jay Rod's best game in a Saints shirt IMO.

Funny .... No comments from Alpine? Surely there were plenty of negatives to take from the game??!!

JRod, well done. More like it today and against Chelsea. He's growing into things and working harder than he did when he first came. He is useful but needs time.

In fairness the subs made little difference to the game. We were getting throughly overrun in all areas of midfield before we made the changes. Ramirez was a passenger and offering Shaw no cover at all, so at least Fox did that (although he chose to play far too deep himself, he gave us nothing going forwards to hold on to). Puncheon coming off was a strange move, can only think he was knackered, I didn't agree with that one.

A great win and two places improvement on our position at Villa's expense. I breathe a big sigh of relief as that last 10 minutes seemed to last an eternity and I was expecting the usual Saints disappointment of losing two points right at the death.

Partly the nerves were jangling because we had Fox and De Ridder on the pitch and I just don't think that they're up to the standard required. I hope that Shaw and Ramirez are OK, or we're going to be in deep trouble with an increasing list of quality key players suffering injuries. Signing a CB or two, cover for left and right backs and another pacey wide player looks to be an imperative if we're serious about holding or improving on our league position.

It was good to have Clyne back and it seems that the pairing of him and Puncheon on the right ran Villa's defence ragged all afternoon. Shaw had another great game at LB, but Ramirez didn't appear to have been as effective out wide. But him playing there enabled us to play Lambert and Rodrigues together up front and Dave Merrington was full of praise for what an exciting prospect that would be whenever they play together in future matches, as they seemed to be a good foil for each other.

The defence has become yet more solid and comfortable together, even with the switch necessitated by Fonte's absence and Boruc also gains confidence and composure and made some vital saves. The midfield pairing of Schneiderlin and Cork is our engine room and when both give their utmost, they are hard to get past and command the midfield, providing the telling passes to the attack. Davis is an able and experienced deputy for either and a good substitute to bring on if either of the other two need replacing or back-up.

A bit disappointing that we weren't able to put one or more goals past them from open play, but we deserved all three points and should gain confidence from the win and the clean sheet. We have some difficult matches to come and could have done without these additional injuries, but we have enough about us to inspire confidence that we are good enough to beat those teams around us and could gain some extra places upwards with some quality additional signings in this transfer window.

Saints were by far the better side for the first 70 mins, but then started to give cheap balls away. Leeds away was one way traffic for the whole game. J Rod runs around a lot, some of it very intelligent, but he can't shoot for toffees. Strangely, it was the final product that was lacking today. Lambert was class, and so was Boruc. We rode our luck a bit, but so did they. On the whole, we deserved it, but only just.

great result

some peoples comments are unbelivable

"Villa were crap" but after they beat Liverpool, we had better watch out because Villa were improving

"we did not deserve to win" Christ i have seen loads where we did not deserve to losr, but we did.

enjoy it but it is likely going to the last month of the season

get behind the team and stop the knocking

Just winning isn't good enough. We have to dominate the whole game.

Starting to see similarities in some of our current XI and the fa cup final team.

1) the main one, Lambert and Rodriguez remind me a lot of beats and ormerod as a pairing.

2) Shaw is like a young Bridgey, solid defensively but has that drive going forward.

3) Puncheon a left footed right midfielder always looking to cut inside and can shoot much like Fernandez.

4) two hard working, tough tacklers in centre midfield doing the same job as delap and Oakley did for us.

5) Ramirez played out of position on the left and come to the club with high expectations ala anders. Hope he fulfils his potential more though.

What I think we need most of all is a Michael svensson dominant centre back. I think fonte is in the Claus mold but needs to keep improving.

Also a niemi in the summer as Boruc looked good today.

I feel these young players can have more quality about them that the 2003 lads who achieves a great deal.

Watched in 7th Heaven Saloon just off Soi Bangla in Phuket with the owner an Aussie named Mark who is an NRL fan. He'd never seen Saints play.... Halfway through 1st half he said I thought this was the PL not Brazil. At least 6 times he said Holy **** after another ball from Lambert.

What a cracking 1st half that was 2nd half Rorkes Driift.

Luke Shaw 1st half move over Messi.

Other notables Boruc getting better and better

Jos well, he did everything you want a CB to do

Maya Outstanding

My motm? Would have been Shaw but he had a weaker 2nd half, the loonie kept us in it so Boruc gets it

And no I can't see straight 1 st beers we paid for then Mark got the rest gonna be a horrid flight home 2mro, ouch

I am led to believe it was Phil of Dubai;)......

Known as Pierre of the desert....:p

Fat barsteward........Only joking Philly...know you have been dieting:D

And after a HUGE amount of negotiation was able to watch the game in a proper bar here in Phuket

Was worried ;cos last night the only bar that promised to show the game was in Soi Katoy......

Massive win,we are so lucky to have one of the best [ if not the best ] penalty taker in the country at this club,great to see Rickie made captain as well. Also well done to Artur Boruc,hopefully we we see the best of him for the rest of the season.Well,well pleased and we are due an iffy penalty decision as well,to make up for the ones that we have not been given,especially the Lallana one against Swansea.