• Ramirez
    • Cork
    • Puncheon
    • Lambert
    • Rodriguez
    • Fox
    • Davis, S
    • De Ridder

Just home! Delighted we FINALLY get our share of luck and walk away with a win that probably wasn't 100% ours. First time that has happened this season and so many teams have gotten crap off of us for nothing its about time it goes our way.

Yoshida motm! Couple of little mistakes (as everyone) but was the difference as a composed and organising CB. Seemed to be operating Jos on a wire so the both 99% of the time were in the right place :)

Boruc was a good shot stopper and came for plenty of crosses but still parried into far too many danger zones and was dog poo with some of his kicks, bought a lot of pressure onto us but still is our best keeper. Can only hope Paul Robinson is on his way monday morning...

Couldn't see the pen decision, looked massively like a pass-back anyway and even if its a dive, it makes up for Crouch handling in the build up for Stokes equaliser!±

Love Lambert again, 31 pens for us and 31 converted now? Utter legend! If I ever meet him in a bar he will have all his drinks bought by me for that alone.

Only real concerns, Gaston is turd on the left, utter turd, get some one better out there and left Gaston back in the middle! Rodriguez needs to sort it out, some blinding touches then woeful finishes followed by some great shots but needed a touch to put the shot from the right place, a lot of work on him is needed. Finally we NEED Punch competition as quick as possible! He looked lazy and complacent at 60 mins, subbed at 75 odd for Steven Davis who isn't that effective out there (and we are stuck with De Ridder as back up the other side which is just as poor) but it had to be done as he wasn't rushing about at all 2nd half.

Still delighted for our first prem double of the season and delighted to see Villa be utter turd, never seen a team more likely to go down than them.

Performance wise

Boruc 7 Got behind enough, caught enough, everyone covered his drops so it overall was ok.

Shaw 9 in positions almost all the game, did everything, a beast

Yoshida 9 motm, shear desire to win (same as Fonte for Fulham at home) and a command CB as needed

Jos 7, good game for once and didn't get one the score sheet.

Clyne 7, targeted a bit, didn't close down quick enough but made up for most of it going forward and tackling.

Morg and Cork both 8, both a great paring. On their own their performances were really good, as a pare they were what Arsenal would cream over.

Gaston 3, Turd. Worst game in a saints shirt, not a left winger and no one knew what he was doing, should have shoved lee there as he has a better idea of what everyone else wants from the left.

Punch 6, threatened, flashes of quality, flashes of being a lazy ass.

Lambert 8, great pen, covered for everyone being crap, over stretched him self too much though.

Rodriguez 6, flashes of great movement hampered by being a terrible shot followed by great shot 8 yards too far out. Need confidence to shoot in the right places. Won us a pen though.

Fox 6, didn't do much going forward but Gaston was so cack there it had to happen.

Steven Davis 6, not a RW but had to come on and ended up as the lone forward once or twice. Wanted him to get the 2nd against his old club but it wasn't to be.

De Ridder 0, utter cack when he came on. Was like having 10 men on it was that bad, set up a villa chance ffs! Close to being as bad as Ali Dia today...

Adkins 10/10! Loving the fan appreciation and got the team to hold out for a 1-0 away.

Edited by pingwing

Boruc was not that good, he made one save and pushed it straight back into the centre, which a confident striker would have knocked it into the net. Same again for the late save, which I thought he should have gathered.

Still need a keeper I think.

Boruc was not that good, he made one save and pushed it straight back into the centre, which a confident striker would have knocked it into the net. Same again for the late save, which I thought he should have gathered.

There's some truth to that, though the save was still very instinctive. I was mroe impressed with his handling when under pressure, a few head downs and knocks across goal were handled safely and easily by Boruc, if he'd have spilled anything just slightly it was a definite goal.

Long way to go yet, he still doesn't inspire me with confidence and I'd prefer a better keeper to come in to replace him. He'll get a lot of practise in the next 3 games so we'll see what he's up to.

Just back / stopped drinking. Negative posters can sod right the way off. I was in with the Villa fans and they were almost suicidal re. how bad their team has become. The defensive organisation makes our back four look like Arsenal's unbeatable season. The powderpuff midfield is just that, almost useless. We could not score if we played another five hours. These are their words, not mine.

Yes ok we should have had more goals, but we played ok / poorly and won, away from home. We know there is more to come and we are making progress. Most of our fans are very happy. Villa would love to be able to say that.

Happy, happy, days

Yep! He was good enough against a team made up of mostly kids and reserves players, real teams he is going to pass it to someone good (like Bent) and give goals away.

Paul Robinson has to be the person we throw money and a Ferrari at to get him down here. I'll buy him a "Robinson1" number place and suck him off to get him here if thats what it takes.

Thought we really struggled against supposedly a 'sh1t' Vill' side. 2nd half they hammered us, if they had a finisher,we'd have lost by a couple.

Thought out back four were excellent, missing key players, but worked so hard.

The negatives: No ball retention 2nd half; Lambert not knowing or able to execute his role 2nd half; Ramriez being annonymous ; Rodriguez lacking the arrogant confidence of a Prem strikers. Our support not get going till well after the final whistle.

Positives- Finally grinding out a win, despite not playing great; Rodriguez running, tons of threat and effort; shutting up the gobby Villa *****s to our right.

Yep! He was good enough against a team made up of mostly kids and reserves players, real teams he is going to pass it to someone good (like Bent) and give goals away.

Paul Robinson has to be the person we throw money and a Ferrari at to get him down here. I'll buy him a "Robinson1" number place and suck him off to get him here if thats what it takes.

Did you watch the game? Worse problems than Boruc in our squad. I take it you all realise how much of the 5mins of time added on he managed to waste?

Funny that ppl saying they were unimpressed with Clyne, yet he got in the MOTD team of the week.

Fwiw, I thought he was ok but not his best performance for us.

Only 2 votes for Clyne on here for MOTM. Quality player, but not a good game from him today.

Surprised Lambert is getting so many MOTM votes, far from his best today. Jay Rodriguez' movement was first rate but he had no confidence when clear on the keeper, looked short on out and out pace too. Puncheon did alright, Cork and Morgan worked well as always but with only a two man central midfield we were left exposed at times. Gaston was wasted out on the flank, 4-4-2 with Rickie playing deep wasn't the right call for me today. Yet we didn't play to our best and prevailed.

Artur Boruc has to be MOTM, cemented his place in the team today. My neutral friend was still far from impressed with him though, a sign of how ability starved we are in front of goal right now I feel.

I am a massive fan, but I don't recall him dominating the game like he usually does. I saw him being beaten in the air constantly by Baker and on a couple of occasions when played in to feet he took ages and was robbed. 5 might be harsh, I give a 5 for average display not a poor display, but it was one if his quietest games for a long time. Rodriguez did all the work and caught my eye much more. Perhaps that's why I didn't see all this stuff worth creaming over. No big deal. He can and will play much better IMO.
Think a '5' is right for RL. Particularly 2nd half, he was neither striker nor midfielder and we got neither from him. Frustrating.

[video=youtube;_VJubWG6-GA]

Already posted in the 'back from the game' thread but here for those that may be interested.

We were not good today.... yet prevailed. Hated the second half, my fingers crossed for Luke Shaw.

I was a few rows down from you, can see my mate at the start of the video. The bloke next to you needs to be a little less negative when screaming abuse at our players in the future! Haha

Did you watch the game? Worse problems than Boruc in our squad. I take it you all realise how much of the 5mins of time added on he managed to waste?

Gave everyone team ratings eventually....

Boruc was by no means bad, but he really did give Villa the odd moment where they thought they could get back in.

His kicking was on a par with a dead goose (or Kelvin Davis) and his catching was no better. Thankfully he came for crosses which was one up on the dead goose and his throws were blinding (shame most people didn't get on the end of them)

If Gazza has one utterly blinding attribute its his time wasting. He wouldn't have been booked for it today because he is the most clever/infuriating keeper to watch. Boruc is better than the dead goose on that front but only because he can vaguely do it... Still not great and got booked for time wasting (ruining are chance of winning the fair play league...) but he was ok.

Punch is the worst problem of the squad today but Boruc was still an average second on that front. We were good at CB, good full backs, good CM's and generally good enough on the wings (though their right we got lucky how poor our left was today) and good forwards so not much to worry about....

You didnt watch the game did you

3 points, thats all that matters, I suppose.

But we got it with a dodgy peno rather than unequivocally created ourselves.

AL is injured, and our other superstar has decided he cant be bothered.

And now Shaw is injured (can you put your violin down for a bit and do something, Nicola ???) I suppose we should be grateful that various players convalesence is going to be whilst we are getting tw*ttings from the top 6, rather than against relegation rivals.[/quote

Some people's glasses are half full, some people's glasses are half empty. And some people just get refused service altogether.

Seriously, Robinson's not that good. No one conceded more goals from long range then him last season

Great win, but really we should have won by more, but we played **** in the second half. I don't give a rats arse if it was a penalty or not, Rodriguez shifted his leg to avoid a clattering and went down. Probably wasn't a pen, but over the years we've conceded a few like that. So ****** to Villa and all the whingers. 3 points. Our defence was a total shambles in the last 15 minutes and we showed very little composure in trying to retain possession, or go forward with intent. Clyne, Yoshida and Hooiveld lall looked totally lost and made error after error after error. Needs to be addressed. The thinking under pressure aint great.

Thought the 2 centre halfs were quality today. Dealt with it all pretty well, Jos is fine so long as he doesn't have to pass or actually play football.

Boruc made 2 good saves and looked much more confident. Morgan was my MOTM. Excellent with and without possession.

Lol. Is your last name Lambert?!

FWIW I don't think Lambert was bad, and surely in that position we want him to be 'neither striker nor midfielder'? Think he was knackered by half time though.

I thought lambert was the best outfield player by a country mile..his link up play was way beyond the two teams on the pitch

Gave everyone team ratings eventually....

Boruc was by no means bad, but he really did give Villa the odd moment where they thought they could get back in.

His kicking was on a par with a dead goose (or Kelvin Davis) and his catching was no better. Thankfully he came for crosses which was one up on the dead goose and his throws were blinding (shame most people didn't get on the end of them)

If Gazza has one utterly blinding attribute its his time wasting. He wouldn't have been booked for it today because he is the most clever/infuriating keeper to watch. Boruc is better than the dead goose on that front but only because he can vaguely do it... Still not great and got booked for time wasting (ruining are chance of winning the fair play league...) but he was ok.

Punch is the worst problem of the squad today but Boruc was still an average second on that front. We were good at CB, good full backs, good CM's and generally good enough on the wings (though their right we got lucky how poor our left was today) and good forwards so not much to worry about....

Re Boruc time wasting: he was first class in injury time. When the ref blew up to book him, he was already mid-run to take the goal kick. Outcome, ok a yellow card, but the ball had to be retrieved from midfield, was then kicked back wide of the goal. Boruc had to collect from the touchline, then place his kick again and take another run up. Net result, more time wasted. Villa fans around me were furious with the ref, who stopped play just as it was starting.

I thought we played OK, but the important thing is we won. Shaw was excellent. Boric made some very good saves. Don't like jay rod going down as he did, but my god The BBC have milked it.

When Shaw went down Wieman ran half the pitch to have a go at the ref & then stood over Shaw. Disgraceful behaviour & The BBC ignored it.

Great pen from Rickie. Again, don't know what he has got to do to get a free kick.

Lots of Saints players moaning about Benteke's elbows.

I thought Puncheon was pretty poor. Why does he wait so long to cross the ball? And Rickie losing Baker at the end from the corner almost cost us the 3 points.

Just chuffed with the win!

Big result. Dodgy pen but goal was coming. They can moan as much as they like about the decision but the truth is they should have been down to 10 men for most of the game. The ref obviously couldn't see the knee-high challenge on Ramirez but just another inch and he would have heard his leg snapping.

Not that the oppo going down to 10 helps us usually ala Stoke, and I could see another lead potentially slipping away as the game wore on. Had they got level, the Villa fans would have woken up and they can then make a bit of noise once they get going and we would have been right up against it.

Crucial 3 points with our next run of fixtures but Chelsea only play well on Saturdays and don't like midweek home games ;) ...unfortunately they now have Demba Ba.

So the usual aggression raises its ugly head just because someone is not gushing about a tight win where the ref tipped the balance, against the division whipping boys..........

And people describe me as predictable :rolleyes:

still, 3 points all the same and away from home. Vital

His range of passing, especially first half was outstanding.

he had a few below par games about a month ago, but he is back to his best. I always thought he would thrive in the Premiership. Got the touch and now has the body strength and pace.

So the usual aggression raises its ugly head just because someone is not gushing about a tight win where the ref tipped the balance, against the division whipping boys..........

And people describe me as predictable :rolleyes:

you may or may not know that when you go the game the buzz of a win is incredible and can lead to over exageration and gushing praise, you need to cut fans some slack. However, there are plenty of posters on here pointing out we didn't play well in the second half and were lucky not to concede during the long ball onslaught.

Seeing that "the result is all that matters" has always been your philosphy you can't now prattle on about the performance being substandard to suport your never ending negativity. You can't have it both ways.

The only thing we got from this game is the points.
I thought in your opinion that was all that mattered? Make you mind up.

BTW we also increased our confidence, dented a relegation rivals own further, added another Premiership game of experience to all our players, some match fitness for Clyne, another game with back four a new keeper...oh and gave the fans some enjoyment - that is the aim in the end you know. To enjoy it.

you may or may not know that when you go the game the buzz of a win is incredible and can lead to over exageration and gushing praise, you need to cut fans some slack. However, there are plenty of posters on here pointing out we didn't play well in the second half and were lucky not to concede during the long ball onslaught.

Seeing that "the result is all that matters" has always been your philosphy you can't now prattle on about the performance being substandard to suport your never ending negativity. You can't have it both ways.

Entirely true, well said.

Besides, as flat a performance as it was in the second half yesterday (first half we dominated them) there were still enough positives to take from the game overall. Boruc's performance, Clyne back and a step towards fitness (although he was well below par, it will have massively helped his recuperation), Shaw fantastic again, Puncheon again lively and perhaps Rodriguez's best game for us in terms of overall contribution to the team and clever running.

Not a great performance by any means, and definitely a lucky win. But a win nonetheless and with plenty of other things to build upon.