Welcome to Saints Mauricio Pochettino

Spudders

An interesting sub-plot for Southampton fans is the potential summer arrival of talented Espanyol midfielder Joan Verdu, a creative playmaker widely regarded as the Catalan club's best player.

Verdu, 29, is out of contract at the end of the season and has not agreed a new deal, with the club struggling to find funds to pay him as they seek to reduce their debts.

A host of clubs across Europe are known to be keen on securing his services for nothing in June. Considering his history with Pochettino, it's fairly safe to add Southampton to that list of suitors.

Anyone?

If we are relegated will he come?

This is the bit that must of swayed cortese into making the change -

'Many of his players had progressed through the cantera (youth academy) before he blooded them into the first team. In his four years with Espanyol, he had handed 23 debuts to players from the cantera.'

Why? Adkins hasn't exactly been shy in terms of getting academy players involved in the first team set up.

Welcome Mauricio to Southampton Football Club.

There may be some tw^ts outside the ground protesting on Monday night because we had this legend of a manager for a couple of years that took us up a couple of times.

Well, they can't get over the fact he's gone so will be singing 'One Nigel Adkins' in a futile attempt to bring him back, or reach Cortese (who doesn't give a flying f**k about what the fans think), there may also be some of these 'rebels' inside the ground on Monday Night who will attempt to unsettle the players, and create what is called (In England) a 'Relegation atmosphere' in the ground.

Unfortunately these 'rebels' are likely to outnumber the supporters attending Monday night that love Adkins, but have moved on. And will stand up and applaud you when welcomed onto the pitch, and get behind you 100%, win, lose or draw because we love our football club more than any manager.

Sincerely,

BlakeySFC

The SISA lot will use it to publicise themselves, as usual. They will be the first in front of the cameras speaking on behalf of everyone, and will milk it for all it's worth.

The others will be doing it because they love the club.

Well, I think he's got to be pretty amazing to justify what's happened today. As far as I can see, he has no managerial experience advantages over Adkins, just that fact that he played for Argentina a few times. It feels like a completely unnecessary and risky cosmetic appointment. Nigel could be (and could have been for us) a manager on a par with Mourinho, Wenger, Sacchi, Zeman, Vilas Boas, Erickson, none of whom had top level playing careers. Maybe I'm wrong and Cortese is a genius, in which case, well done him, but it certainly feels bad at the moment.

Although I'm trying to be positive, this is pretty well my take on it too.

After his first season or two at Espanyol he faded and became unpopular.

The downturn wasn't simply players leaving. After he went results picked up.

I gave a gut feeling he's been appointed to get the team playing in one particular way - always play from the back, short passing game, press the opposition hard. NA did that, but used other strengths when needed. The long ball to Ricky is a potent weapon.

Basically I echo the thoughts of those who think it would be stupid to protest. I loved NA - definitely my favourite Saints manager ever (ahead of WGS) but we can't be on the team/managers back. That would hinder our progress and undo all the great work Nige has done over the last 2 1/2 years. Lets support the team and move up the table

Why would it be stupid to protest? We have every right to voice our opinion. We pay our money. So although I will always support the 11 players' date=' I do't welcome this guy and I will be letting him know as I will let Cortese know too. I'm sure they won't care, but I do.[/quote'] it is a self defeating act though. If saints fail who wins? Having the fans baying displeasure can only help the opposition, that in turn will effect the team and like Chelsea we could become so unsettled that the results plummet.

Write a letter of disgust to NC but show the club the support on the pitch. One thing i feel for sure is that NA would not wish for the club to fail due to him.

it is a self defeating act though. If saints fail who wins? Having the fans baying displeasure can only help the opposition, that in turn will effect the team and like Chelsea we could become so unsettled that the results plummet.

Write a letter of disgust to NC but show the club the support on the pitch. One thing i feel for sure is that NA would not wish for the club to fail due to him.

So do you suggest that everybody just ignores what has gone on because it might upset the players? I'm sure they are more upset than we are. I know what you are trying to say, and to some extent I agree, however, saying the team might become unsettled because of the fans reaction is a bit rich. The team is unsettled now and it's solely due to NC.

So do you suggest that everybody just ignores what has gone on because it might upset the players? I'm sure they are more upset than we are. I know what you are trying to say' date=' and to some extent I agree, however, saying the team might become unsettled because of the fans reaction is a bit rich. The team is unsettled now and it's solely due to NC.[/quote']

How do you know the team is unsettled?

Loved Nigel and all he did and was totally taken aback at the lack of loyalty and sentiment in NC's decision to remove him. However none of this is or can be attributed to MP and I still and will always support the saints, so welcome MP and the best of British luck!

Well put.

Yep, welcome to the new guy. All the right people in the game have good words to say about him, most notably Guardiola.

People trying to compare our situation with Chelsea are forgetting that Chelsea fans actively hated benitez before he joined, whereas pochettino comes here with a clean slate

Yep, welcome to the new guy. All the right people in the game have good words to say about him, most notably Guardiola.

People trying to compare our situation with Chelsea are forgetting that Chelsea fans actively hated benitez before he joined, whereas pochettino comes here with a clean slate

Where are they saying this? The only comments I've seen are from the sky sports spanish pundit. Where can I find all these other views?

Where are they saying this? The only comments I've seen are from the sky sports spanish pundit. Where can I find all these other views?

There is a good piece on the new guy in the Guardian blog. There is a favourable quote there from Guardiola http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2013/jan/18/southampton-mauricio-pochettino

When he departed there was a sadness about the place, a recognition that Pochettino had been good for Espanyol. He had worked closely with the youth system, redesigning the setup, laying down tactical guidelines to be followed throughout the club and insisting on making each team play in an age group above, to increase their competitiveness and accelerate their development. It was not just an idea, it was a necessity. More than a dozen kids made their first-team debut under him and only three First Division teams had more youth-teamers in their first-team squad.

There, they encountered a man with charisma and commitment. Players described his sessions as "fun" but "intense". He recorded every detail of his matches and set up a system that allowed him not only to use videos before matches but at half time. He made his team aggressive, pushing high up the pitch. He wanted them to keep the ball and play from the back. "There are teams that wait for you and teams that look for you: Espanyol look for you. I feel very close to their style of football," said Pep Guardiola.

Pochettino was close to his players but tough: when he first turned up he encountered men that had been team-mates, and good mates, of his. He did not hesitate to shift out those he thought were not good enough. The problem was that with each passing year, more of his players were not good enough. He too appeared to have grown tired; his impact diminished. A club idol he may have been but results were no longer good enough. At Southampton, that is an advantage he does not have. Communication will be harder as he does not speak English. Pochettino has vision but, after the sacking of Adkins, he will have to get results too. And fast.

Edited by Golac's Cunning Stunts

There is a good piece on the new guy in the Guardian blog. There is a favourable quote there from Guardiola http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2013/jan/18/southampton-mauricio-pochettino

When he departed there was a sadness about the place, a recognition that Pochettino had been good for Espanyol. He had worked closely with the youth system, redesigning the setup, laying down tactical guidelines to be followed throughout the club and insisting on making each team play in an age group above, to increase their competitiveness and accelerate their development. It was not just an idea, it was a necessity. More than a dozen kids made their first-team debut under him and only three First Division teams had more youth-teamers in their first-team squad.

There, they encountered a man with charisma and commitment. Players described his sessions as "fun" but "intense". He recorded every detail of his matches and set up a system that allowed him not only to use videos before matches but at half time. He made his team aggressive, pushing high up the pitch. He wanted them to keep the ball and play from the back. "There are teams that wait for you and teams that look for you: Espanyol look for you. I feel very close to their style of football," said Pep Guardiola.

Pochettino was close to his players but tough: when he first turned up he encountered men that had been team-mates, and good mates, of his. He did not hesitate to shift out those he thought were not good enough. The problem was that with each passing year, more of his players were not good enough. He too appeared to have grown tired; his impact diminished. A club idol he may have been but results were no longer good enough. At Southampton, that is an advantage he does not have. Communication will be harder as he does not speak English. Pochettino has vision but, after the sacking of Adkins, he will have to get results too. And fast.

Interesting read, cheers for that.

One Nigel Adkins!!!!

adkins.jpg

get lost..not wanted..

he wont be here by xmas

Immediate emotional reaction.

I don't want that f**king Argie in charge of my club. I want Nigel Adkins!

Couldn't give a ****. Lost my balanced head, nothing about this is balanced.

Get him out. 90 minutes of pro Adkins chants and volleys of abuse towards this guy.

**** off Pochettino, not wanted.

**** off

who, **** off Pochettino, you are not welcome

Can't be arsed to read any more than half of the first page, but here are a few posts that I like.

24 hours on I still feel deflated and disgusted at how Nige was treated. I honestly feel that relegation is now more likely this season because of this madness. I think it will take me an awful long time to come to terms with having MP as our manager. If we win all our remaining games this season and he issues a statement saying, 'They are called The Falkland Islands and they should always remain British' I might have warm feelings towards him for next season!!

24 hours on I still feel deflated and disgusted at how Nige was treated. I honestly feel that relegation is now more likely this season because of this madness. I think it will take me an awful long time to come to terms with having MP as our manager. If we win all our remaining games this season and he issues a statement saying, 'They are called The Falkland Islands and they should always remain British' I might have warm feelings towards him for next season!!

Well this is the thing isn't it. We need to detach what Adkins has done for us and the manner of his departure from any feelings of our prospects under Pochettino. Quite clearly Cortese believes we have a better chance moving forward under Pochettino. I can potentially see why when you consider his pedigree and reputation - moreso when you align it with the objectives of the club moving forward. The timing of it seems disastrous though, and that is my big concern.

For what it is worth my perception is that Pochettino can take us forward, but he has half a season of real pain to keep us up and impose his ideas on the team. We'd just about got to the point where we had adapted under Adkins and now to start again is a big ask. I trust the players to get on board, I don't think they were all devote followers of Adkins as the fans were, and I may dare say a fresh voice and new ideas could help several of them.

And, one other potential benefit is that if Cortese feels he now has a man at the helm appropriate for the league we're competing in, the signings could be even more exciting. But that is a hunch based on nothing.

• 4 weeks later...

http://sportingpreview.com/football2012-4/2012513.php

SOUTHAMPTON MANAGEMENT CHANGE LOOKING INSPIRED

Betfair: 12 February 2013

Christian Crowther places the spotlight on Southampton's survival chances under their new boss and those of the teams in their rear-view mirrors...

When Southampton's board made the decision to oust their double promotion-winning manager Nigel Adkins, it understandably ruffled a few feathers within the footballing community.

But fortunes and opinions can morph rapidly in football and just a few weeks on, it now seems that Mauricio Pochettino's appointment may yet prove inspirational as Saints look on course to secure their Premier League status and possibly climb higher.

The Argentine's tenure started with a solid home draw against Champions League-chasing Everton and since then the Saints have burst into life, culminating in their win over Manchester City.

Pochettino's energetic side flourished at Old Trafford and, despite ending up on the wrong side of a 2-1 scoreline, their second-half performance displayed such dynamism that it led Sir Alex Ferguson to hail it as the best any away side had produced at Old Trafford all season.

Only a last-gasp Shaun Maloney equaliser then prevented Pochettino from collecting his first three-point haul at Wigan, before Saturday's emphatic win over the reigning Premier League champions at St Mary's.

As they had threatened against Manchester United, versus City they finally managed to back up their enterprising play with goals.

This result elevated Saints back up to 15th and has understandably led to a lengthening in their price for relegation, now available at 7.4. Punters are suitably encouraged to rate their chances of a top-ten finish almost as strongly at 7.6.

While Southampton look to be moving in the right direction under their new manager, there are those who continue to flounder however.

As they have been all season, QPR are still in the deepest of trouble at the foot of the ladder and seemingly buried following a crushing 4-1 defeat to Swansea on Saturday.

With only one win in their last nine league games and now seven points adrift of safety, a rating of 1.31 to drop through the trapdoor seems like safe money.

The jostling for places above the R's promises to entertain to the wire as normal and at this point you'd have to imagine two of Aston Villa 2.1, Wigan 1.83 and Reading 1.7 will join them.

After strengthening in the window, Newcastle should have enough quality to pull away from this pack, while Norwich have halted their abysmal run with draws against Tottenham, QPR and Fulham and should accrue enough points to steer clear.

• 1 year later...

Interesting reading this (and other threads) from when Pochettino was appointed.

Can't wait to see the response when Bruce Arena is appointed. Can we put bets on who first says 'what the hell do yanks know about football?'.

Personally I think it could work out rather well.