Welcome to Saints Mauricio Pochettino

Spudders

Take a break from being a pillock.

Its the wrong time. I suspected it might happen during the summer, but thought he would get the time to prove himself.

Its the wrong replacement. The bloke has sod-all experience of English football, hardly speaks the lingo, and doesnt have the right set of players to do his thing with, imo.

I recognise what NA has achieved; I think he looked over his head with team selection, tactics and substitutions this season, but maybe there were a few small signs he was catching on.

You are a classic. You continue to slag NA off, then slag the decision off to sack him then slag the man off to replace before you even know anything about him.

Continue to keep up the good work the forum needs people like you.

I agree. Adkins deserved to remain in charge until at least the end of the season to ensure our survival. Any plans to take us to the "next level" should have been carried out then, rather then a time when we are showing some form and resiliency.

Does also make me think that Lambert's days might be nearing an end too, given his treatment of Tamudo.

Why does everything always have to be about Lambert, he's one of 16 or 17 first team players.

Originally Posted by Colinjb

Immediate emotional reaction.

I don't want that f**king Argie in charge of my club. I want Nigel Adkins!

Window Cleaner

watch the xenophobia eh !!

Here here WC

Interesting reaction when we defend the Nazi claims from those down the road, and , we can slate a guy who comes from Argentina - unbelievable some the reactions here to a guy who was about 10 years old during the conflict - talk about double standards

Football fans will happily believe anything. How many months ago were they saying that NA was a puppet ,that NC was picking the team etc. We then went on a good run and those accusations went away, now a respected manager from Europe comes in and fans say he is a puppet.Laughable, if it was the case he would get a 50k a year man in to do the job

Window Cleaner

watch the xenophobia eh !!

Here here WC

Interesting reaction when we defend the Nazi claims from those down the road, and , we can slate a guy who comes from Argentina - unbelievable some the reactions here to a guy who was about 10 years old during the conflict - talk about double standards

Same people would turn Messi down cause he´s Argentinian....

I shall not be supporting Pochettino - I don't want to be managed by some Arentinian. i shall support saints but will look forward to the day when we get another English manager. Adkins has been treated shamefully by Cortese. I think we will probably get relegated now.

What a ridiculous over reaction....

Again, just to re-iterate and as initially stated, that was a knee jerk emotional reaction by me when the news broke. His nationality was unimportant (and I shouldn't have emphasised it) I was simply furious at the replacement of Adkins with anyone.

No offence was intended to anyone. Apologies obviously if it did offend.

I am gutted by all this and I have serious doubts that it will work but Nigel Adkins would be the first to say "Get behind the team. They always come first".

You cannot vocally object to the new manager or the chairman without it having a negative effect on the team on the pitch. Any objections must be outside of game time.

Well as this thread is anything but welcoming to the new man I suggest to the mods that we shut it down and start again when it's cooled off a bit.

Forums are about opinions, opinions are formed emotionally as well as factually or practically, everything here is valid if that's the opinion of the person who posted it.

I'm reserving judgement on the new man until the end of the season. We gave Adkins half a season (just over) and he got us to safety. Newbie has the remainder to show us what he can do with the squad. A squad, incidentally, he doesn't think needs any additions in this transfer window. That's a brave statement.

Giving the newbie time before making a judgement doesn't mean I'm not ****ed off at the decision to sack Adkins though.

I just noticed something...

If you change the "Po" at the front of "Pochettino" to an "S", you get "Schettino", who was the bloke who drove the Costa Concordia into a reef and sank it...

ha ha wowee and if you swap alpine with the words bored you get bored_saint :)

I'll get behind the new man. It isn't his fault, and he's the new manager. Absolutely gutted about Adkins, but that's another story...

Welcome Mauricio to what I hope will be a long and joyous stay at Saints - regardless that you haven't gotten the best of starts...

Lets just remember that the new guy is not responsible for sacking Adkins. It isn't his fault. He has done what most of us would done and taken a good opportunity. Lets back the new man as we would any manager of this club.

100% this! Unfortunately some of the plums in our fanbase will be booing him when he takes his seat on Monday!

Well I hope he proves a huge success.

I have major doubts he will, in fact I fear this will be a car crash in the making. But hope to be proved wrong.

Still f**cked of with this decision today, and probably not being fair on MP, but he doesn't come with a great pedigree does he failed la liga manager. Probably not the right time for this today.

I wouldn't have sacked Adkins and think it is very harsh but we ought to be clear that Poccy does have some credentials. He kept Espanyol up several seasons in a row despite having his best players sold every summer, and indeed got them into upper mid table playing great football.

Ok his last season was a disaster but there was only so long he could keep performing miracles. In Spain he is talked about as a future Real Madrid manager.

This article explains it well:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2013/jan/18/southampton-mauricio-pochettino

Seems mad to me, but apparently this new guy is meant to be good according to Guillem Balague (Spanish football presenter on Sky Sports) who says on twitter "Ive seen Pochettino work at Espanyol. His commitment, his style, how he deals with youth, tactics. If I was a Southampton fan Id be excited"

Let's hope so for our sakes.

Morph

Poc-het-tinhio is how it is pronounced I believe.

Bizarre timing, I felt Nige would be out after WBA - however since then he has done a great job imo and i am very disappointed. However, although I don't agree with the decision the only thing that matters now is the future. I welcome the new man but am wary of his lack of english and lack of engilish experience.

However all the people I know say he is a top top coach. I for one will back him 100%, not his fault Cortese sacked Adkins after all.

As for Cortese, we all knew he was a ruthless **** so why all the surprise? Can't have it both ways. Let's not forget that without him, the likelyhood was that we would have no club....what short memories people have, it was not just Adkins that got us 2 promotions. The old school have no time for him and I can see why, but a balanced viewpoint is needed imo.

Lot of wet fannies on here today and many showing their true colours. support the team FFS and have an open mind, If some of the fans cut off their nose to spite their face this could get very nasty indeed.

This could be a disaster, however this could be a masterstroke.... The jury's out, but let's not send someone down before they have been PROVED guilty.

Like many, I was totally floored by the decision earlier in the day. As I've heard so many times, we are where we are. This has all the ingredients to be a disaster for the club, but having read his "CV", it does look a good mutual fit.

The obvious concerns are going to be communication in the early days, players' attitudes and whether or not we're going to get relegated. However, some of the things I've read about him I really like, especially how he likes his teams to go at the opposition.

According to Pep Guardiola, "Some teams wait for you. Other teams look for you. Espanyol look for you" ( might not be the exact quote ). Now I'll admit that commentators do annoy me when they equate our possession-based game for lack of bite, but mostly because they do have a point.

This also sounds like it might be the ideal fit for him. Imagine having to do a job and having all your best tools taken away from you each year, then asked to do the same job. If our plan is genuinely to build a team from the youth and keep them, then it'll appeal to someone who has seen his best talent leave on a cyclical basis.

The obvious concerns are going to be communication in the early days, players' attitudes and whether or not we're going to get relegated.

I thought it was pretty interesting that within a couple of hours of this breaking, some of the players were on twitter talking about getting behind the new gaffer and working with him.

Football fans are a fickle lot, and if we win on Monday then the protests will quieten down. But that's the problem - we're not likely to win and we are going to be sucked further into the relegation dogfight. So, the protests will not go away, and the results will deteriorate further. That's why this is a bad decision - absolutely the wrong timing. I don't care about this new guy one way or the other. If he's known about the job for a while, then why did he not go on a crash English course? Name dropping - "The special one is my friend" does not do it for me. Results are what we want - and Nigel was providing them. We are a small town club where the fans like to feel affinity with the players and manager. I'm afraid it is difficult to support an Argie who doesn't speak any English. I'm not xenophobic, just a realist. The new guy doesn't have a good record, so how people can spout he is the next "special one" is beyond me. If I were Ipswich, Forest et al, I would be on the blower to Nigel in the morning.

In Cortese's eyes, it's not a million miles away from replacing Richardson with Clyne, or bringing in Ramirez to start ahead of De Ridder or Guly... he's trying to improve the club. None of us agree it was necessary because we all loved Nigel, but only time will tell if it works out or not.

This.

People should also remember as well that had Pocchetino not taken the job, somebody else would have got it anyway. The Chairman was always going to sack Nigel. So let's not get all beat up about Pocchetino, he did what every one of you would of done. On the plus side for Nigel - he couldn't have done his CV any more good if he tried. Lets face it - back to back promotions and showing vast Premier League improvement - damn good credentials for somebody looking for work.

Somebody will snap him up - he'll come back to haunt us - we'll all have a wry smile for him.

I thought it was pretty interesting that within a couple of hours of this breaking, some of the players were on twitter talking about getting behind the new gaffer and working with him.

they're pros, not many of them will care who the manager is. Some might even welcome the change because they didn't feel that they were going anywhere fast with Nigel. At least we won't have to put up with any more Adkins f*ckwit press conferences, circles within circles within spirals, not to mention his quotes from the Art of War.

When I got told the news - via a desperate phone call from my best friend - I was in shock. Outraged. Disgusted even. Wondering what the hell was happening.

I felt like I was (metaphorically) suddenly 2-0 down and playing lousy.

After reading all the negative comments and the odd ray of sense and positivity I now feel like its a 2-2 away draw against the champions of Europe. (Purposely perverse analogy).

Football's a funny old game and us fans are fickle.

Get behind the (new) manager FFS. Welcome to Southampton Mauricio; I wish you all the best.

UTS

Well, as tight a ship as SFC run from an external perspective, most people within an organisation have the inside track, even partially.

I did not know about the Twitter messages, so cheers for that.

Another disciple of Biesla having played under him in argentina, it should be interesting to see how the tactics translate into the premier league, for those who want to read more on the actual tactics check here out http://www.worldsoccer.com/features/tactics-the-genius-of-el-loco.

"Bielsa wants the ball to be won high up the pitch and so advocates intense pressing; speaking, as Arrigo Sacchi did, of there being an ideal 25 metres between centre-forward and centre-back. He recognises the importance of the rapid movement of the ball from front to back to catch opponents off balance, but he also sees the value in retaining possession, which is what differentiates him from, say, Egil Olsen, a coach who always prioritises position on the field over possession."

Get behind the guy. It is not his fault that Nige lost his job.
If we're going to be pedantic it is partly his fault. He chose to enter negotiations and accept a job that Adkins was still employed in. That might happen a lot in modern football, don't make it right though.

At the end of the day you can't blame him. He could of been a bit more respectful and not opened negotiations while there was another guy already in the job.

He is here now and we need to get behind him like we have every other manager who has been here. Time will tell if it was the right decision or not and I hope for all our sakes it is the right one.

However not speaking English will be a huge problem I think.