Welcome to Saints Mauricio Pochettino

Spudders

Ok - Now I have my initial anger out of my system and allowed myself to become objective, some of the posters above are right. It's not MP's fault that he has accepted a job offer and a good one at that.

Let's see what he can do..

So welcome Mo

Some? I counted 2 players out of a squad of 25+.

I only follow a handful of them so can't comment on the exact amount across the whole squad, but I saw 2 out of the 5 I follow (Clyne & Chaplow). How many is the official amount for 'some'? Apologies to you if I've confused or distressed you by using the word 'some’ rather than saying 'a couple' I appreciate today's been an emotional rollercoaster for many people on here and I certainly don’t want to cause any more outrage via this totally inappropriate use of wording!

Has it been said if he is bringing a back room staff with him? Have Crosby and wilkins left the club as well?

All backroom staff have left. Crosby, Wilkins and Stannard.

He keeps referring to ''we'' in his interviews, again - not sure if that's just translation glitches, but I wonder if he already has his team with him.

All backroom staff have left. Crosby, Wilkins and Stannard.

He keeps referring to ''we'' in his interviews, again - not sure if that's just translation glitches, but I wonder if he already has his team with him.

That's good. I was worried we might keep some element of continuity with the players, maybe even some English speakers. Glad thats been sorted.

Ok - Now I have my initial anger out of my system and allowed myself to become objective, some of the posters above are right. It's not MP's fault that he has accepted a job offer and a good one at that.

Let's see what he can do..

So welcome Mo

Yeah, a welcome for the new manager seems appropriate. Anger is building inside, but Pochettino is just not the right target for it.

This thread has helped keeping me sane today so thanks to those contributing...

And yes, I'll be delighted when the FLC clubs start fighting to get NA on board - he deserves the best for his honesty and positive approach...

Edited by Lazlo78

Welcome and good luck Mauricio. I hope for your sake as well as ours that Cortese has made the right decision!

BTW reading the BBC report and in particular hearing the comments of Guillem Balague has made me feel a bit better about the appointment.

Edited by krissyboy31

Ok I’m as disappointed as everyone else about the loss of Nige, BUT I was disappointed when pards went and that change was for the better. We have to trust Cortese and his vision, he’s not let us down so far, so whilst we wish Nigel all the best, we need to get behind the new manager, a young man with a similar vision.
Agree with this. Very strange sacking but anybody who doesn't get behind the team and the new manager is just plain wrong only wanting relegation to be proven right in their views. As you say he has a similar vision so as a club we are not reverting back to calls for the likes of Redknob or Alladyce. The football will remain good. COYR.

My first concern is that he is so clear on set tactics - press hard and keep a high line, play from the back.

Nigel has show in recent games that each opposition needs its own tactics and that, with such a relented player as Ricky, the long ball is an option.

We need a manager who can understand the opposition and adapt.

My first concern is that he is so clear on set tactics - press hard and keep a high line, play from the back.

Nigel has show in recent games that each opposition needs its own tactics and that, with such a relented player as Ricky, the long ball is an option.

One interview and people are questioning his tactics?!? What did you want him to do, lay out his game plans for the remaining 16 games??

Of course he will adapt. Dont see any sign of complete rigidness?

I'm really upset not just at the sacking of Nigel but also at the way it seems the club went about things. However any spite aimed at the new manager in the ground on Monday is unfounded and could prove incredibly counter productive. You only have to see what the atmosphere is like at Stamford Bridge at the moment to realise that something similar at St. Mary's could spell disaster. By all means sing Nigel's name but getting on the new man's back, especially because of his nationality, is no less shameful than what NA has been put through.

I wish Mauricio all the luck in the world, he really is going to need it. The wisdom of the timing of this decision is flawed if nothing else. Installing a manager who can't speak the language most of the squad do half way through the season seems pure lunacy. Even more bloody stupid is looking at it in context of results and the fixture list. Mauricio's on a hiding to nothing. Coming off the back of our current run he is now about to face Everton, Man U and Man City in the next few games. If we lose that lot, which is not inconceivable, the atmosphere at games could be evil. If Cortese was going to put him in why not do it after the bad run we had earlier this season with some winnable fixtures for him to ease in with? It beggars belief.

We really do need to stick behind the team and support the new manager whatever we think.

Edited by mulletsaint

Welcome MP and good luck

Gutted to see Nigel go...but having calmed down i feel this could be more about the Club's long term ambitions than Cortese going mentalist ... If not, see you all in the Championship

More like see you in league two in a few years time. This is a car crash waiting to happen. Cortese has lost the plot in my opinion. This confirms NC is one Bat Sh1t Crazy mother-f'cker!

Everton, Man U and Man City in the next few games.

Perhaps the plan was to bring him in knowing that we'd likely only get 1-3 points out of those three anyway. Would have been worse if we had a bunch of winnable games thrown away while he learns the ropes. I am not happy at this appointment, but I am still a Saints fan. He is under enormous pressure, even more than Nige I would think. **** this up and his career is in tatters.

Well, I think he's got to be pretty amazing to justify what's happened today. As far as I can see, he has no managerial experience advantages over Adkins, just that fact that he played for Argentina a few times. It feels like a completely unnecessary and risky cosmetic appointment. Nigel could be (and could have been for us) a manager on a par with Mourinho, Wenger, Sacchi, Zeman, Vilas Boas, Erickson, none of whom had top level playing careers. Maybe I'm wrong and Cortese is a genius, in which case, well done him, but it certainly feels bad at the moment.

In his 146 league matches he won 49, drew 33 and lost 64.

#exciting

Forget poor records, Adkins actually got relegated with scunny, so does this make him an unexciting prospect?

History has taught us otherwise, a good manager and a top bloke. But MONEY was available here, not at scunny or Espanyol. On that basis, why are we prejudging our new manager?

Welcome Mauricio to Southampton Football Club.

There may be some tw^ts outside the ground protesting on Monday night because we had this legend of a manager for a couple of years that took us up a couple of times.

Well, they can't get over the fact he's gone so will be singing 'One Nigel Adkins' in a futile attempt to bring him back, or reach Cortese (who doesn't give a flying f**k about what the fans think), there may also be some of these 'rebels' inside the ground on Monday Night who will attempt to unsettle the players, and create what is called (In England) a 'Relegation atmosphere' in the ground.

Unfortunately these 'rebels' are likely to outnumber the supporters attending Monday night that love Adkins, but have moved on. And will stand up and applaud you when welcomed onto the pitch, and get behind you 100%, win, lose or draw because we love our football club more than any manager.

Sincerely,

BlakeySFC

This thread is disgusting, you sound just like the Chelsea bedwetters who booed Benitez before he even managed his first game in charge.

The same bedwetters that were going 'can you believe the Chelsea fans, they're crazy, booing their manager before he's even managed his first game'.

Adkins was a legend, and the best Saints manager I can remember.

But seriously, get over it you sad bunch of imbiciles.

Good write up on him here for anyone who missed it in the 'Adkins Sacked' thread...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21084201

An interesting sub-plot for Southampton fans is the potential summer arrival of talented Espanyol midfielder Joan Verdu, a creative playmaker widely regarded as the Catalan club's best player.

Verdu, 29, is out of contract at the end of the season and has not agreed a new deal, with the club struggling to find funds to pay him as they seek to reduce their debts.

A host of clubs across Europe are known to be keen on securing his services for nothing in June. Considering his history with Pochettino, it's fairly safe to add Southampton to that list of suitors.

Anyone?

Ok I’m as disappointed as everyone else about the loss of Nige, BUT I was disappointed when pards went and that change was for the better. We have to trust Cortese and his vision, he’s not let us down so far, so whilst we wish Nigel all the best, we need to get behind the new manager, a young man with a similar vision.

But he has let us down with his lack of management skills and lack of tact, I was not Adkins greatest admirer but the way he ahs been treated has been awful and Cortese has won no fans in this as if he had any fans before.

The way we treat staff is very important as what staff will we employ in the future?