Ramiez, time to settle or not good enough?

southamptonfclegend

I'm not judging either way am I. Im simply questioning The default opinion of most on here is that every young player we have is guaranteed to Improve. Its not like we are talking about 16-17 year olds but 21,22 year olds. There are plenty who don't. How many young stars are there whose career peters out to nothing. I would say there are more who never achieve anything in the game than ones who go onto to improve beyond all recognition and become world beaters.

Of course there are more who never achieve than those who do that is the way of life in every field! (Darwin called it survival of the fittest ) That is precisely why we employ scouts and a transfer committee to look at a whole list of options and choose those young players with the best likelehood of improving. The fact he was an international for a top side like Uruguay at 21 and that he was impressing in a top league like Serie A at such a young age must have convinced our people that he is worth the price. It is too early to tell if they are right but there are a lot of signs that their is an impressive skill set to hone and work upon as he gets used to the UK and premier league. To constantly put him down at such a young impressionable age will only effect his confidence, which in turn will hinder his development. Therefore it is best that supporters ensure we provide him with an environment conducive to his development by giving him our full support. We could off course cut out the risk of signing young players and go for known succesful players at the twilight of their careers like Harry does and look for some sort of low risk instant response (if you can motivate them to push on rather than hang on for a last large pay day) rather than nurture a team for the future. I know which of those two approaches I would prefer!

Swansea got Michu for £2 million.. 1/6 of the price... must have about triple the goals?

And Liverpool got Carrol for 35m and Chelsea got Torres for even more. We dont yet know how good or poor Gaston will be so comparisons with an unknown quantity are futile at this stage. Michu is considerably older than Gaston at 27 (therefore in theory at his peak) so has less room for development. We are buying to develop a team for the future hence Clyne, J Rod, Gaston Gazza Forren etc thses are riskier players to blood in the premiere than known players at their peak or on the way down. However the rewards provided we choose wisely can be much greater for the price going forward (and this seems to be our policy, we should give it a chance to see if it works before ditching the strategy. The alternatives are buying known players at their peak for big money Chelsea style or going for older safer choices within our price range with a much shorter duration plan based purely on staying up. It is not a coincidence that Cortese wants us to play a particular style throughout the clubs teams to attract the best youth and bring them on as well as ensure the majority of our signings fit into a team that develops togther for the future.

If and when we stay up we will have done far better than just survive we will have the basis of an excellent young side already blooded in the premiere that plays a good style of football and that seems to be our strategy! So far we seem to be suceeding at it. Long may it last!

Edited by Saint Without a Halo

Of course there are more who never achieve than those who do that is the way of life in every field! (Darwin called it survival of the fittest ) That is precisely why we employ scouts and a transfer committee to look at a whole list of options and choose those young players with the best likelehood of improving. The fact he was an international for a top side like Uruguay at 21 and that he was impressing in a top league like Serie A at such a young age must have convinced our people that he is worth the price. It is too early to tell if they are right but there are a lot of signs that their is an impressive skill set to hone and work upon as he gets used to the UK and premier league. To constantly put him down at such a young impressionable age will only effect his confidence, which in turn will hinder his development. Therefore it is best that supporters ensure we provide him with an environment conducive to his development by giving him our full support. We could off course cut out the risk of signing young players and go for known succesful players at the twilight of their careers like Harry does and look for some sort of low risk instant response (if you can motivate them to push on rather than hang on for a last large pay day) rather than nurture a team for the future. I know which of those two approaches I would prefer!

Who is putting him down? Not me for sure. Hes clearly a class player with loads of ability. The point being, which you seem to agree with, is that despite all the consant claims on here that he will definitely get better in the future, there are no guarantees, in fact there is as good a chance he won't improve as that he will. Some seem to think he will just automatically be brilliant next year because he'll be 23 not 22, the reality is a lot of players don't fullfil their potential.

Who is putting him down? Not me for sure. Hes clearly a class player with loads of ability. The point being, which you seem to agree with, is that despite all the consant claims on here that he will definitely get better in the future, there are no guarantees, in fact there is as good a chance he won't improve as that he will. Some seem to think he will just automatically be brilliant next year because he'll be 23 not 22, the reality is a lot of players don't fullfil their potential.

Ur a bit fence sitting in this thread Turkish. I'm not keen on it, nail colours to mast yo! I don't like all this he may get better or may get worse or may stay same. I could of figured that for myself!

Unusual for you to be sitting on the fence!

On the whole I agree, although I think that as fans we should give him the benefit of the doubt and give him more time to settle.

Swansea got Michu for £2 million.. 1/6 of the price... must have about triple the goals?

Did we sign Ramirez for his goal threat? What's the point in comparing his fee with that of Michu? Either you think Ramirez is an asset to the team or you don't - and how much he cost us does make any difference when you make that assessment. I take it you are of the opinion that we would be better without him?

If one out of Clyne, Shaw, Ward Prowse, Gaston and J Rod doesnt make it that will be an excellent result by our coaches and commitee however as supporters we should try to give them all the best environment in which to develop and help their confidence not pre judge the outcome far too early. What I am saying is given his pedigree to date and undoubted raw skill there is a lot to work with. Does he have the charecter and commitment to develop futher? Time will tell. But to knock his confidence now by getting on his back at an impressionable age because of the size of his fee (that he was not responsible for) will only increase his home sickness, give him more doubts in his ability and ultimately lessen the chances of his success.

Edited by Saint Without a Halo

If one out of clyne, Shaw, Ward Prowse, Gaston and J Rod doesnt make it that will be an excellent result by our coaches and commitee however as supporters we should try to give them all the best environment in which to develop and help their confidence not pre judge the outcome far to early. What i am saying is given his pedigree to date and undoubted raw skill there is a lot to work with . does he have the charecter and commitment to develop futher time will tell. But to knock his confidence now by getting on his back at in impressionable age because of the size of his fee that he was not responsible for will only increase his home sickness, give him doubts and ultimately lessen the chances of his success.

Hallelujah!

If one out of Clyne, Shaw, Ward Prowse, Gaston and J Rod doesnt make it that will be an excellent result by our coaches and commitee however as supporters we should try to give them all the best environment in which to develop and help their confidence not pre judge the outcome far too early. What I am saying is given his pedigree to date and undoubted raw skill there is a lot to work with. Does he have the charecter and commitment to develop futher? Time will tell. But to knock his confidence now by getting on his back at an impressionable age because of the size of his fee (that he was not responsible for) will only increase his home sickness, give him more doubts in his ability and ultimately lessen the chances of his success.

Who is getting on his back? I would hope the lad has a bit more backbone that to get all upset about a conversaation about him on an internet board. He gets great support from the fans at games.

No we were not, we were told he HAS THE POTENTIAL to be a world beater! there in lies the difference!

no we were told he was world class!, everyone on here was buzzing about the signing it was so hyped up and people on this forum were saying a player of that class would never sign for us, a few weeks later we had the "they are paying me a lot of money quote"

Who is getting on his back? I would hope the lad has a bit more backbone that to get all upset about a conversaation about him on an internet board. He gets great support from the fans at games.

He doesn't say it's happening at the moment but that it shouldn't do. Given how Guly's treated that's hardly out of the question is it?

Thought I'd join in this pedantry that seems to have become all the rage.

no we were told he was world class!, everyone on here was buzzing about the signing it was so hyped up and people on this forum were saying a player of that class would never sign for us, a few weeks later we had the "they are paying me a lot of money quote"

I would be staggered if it were possible to buy a genuine world-class 22 year old for £12m in today's market.

Good, but I have seen many threads such as this one questioning his performances and the wisdom of the signing at this early stage it is most unhelpful to our plans of building a long term team.

Patience is needed now more than ever and how do you know how strong or weak a charecter he is? If we dropped any of us into Uruguay at the age of 22 with a foriegn language and culture, are we more, or less, likely to succeed within a good supporting environment or one of continuous critiscism? Particulalry as the expectations for instant performances are enhanced by the size of the fee rather than future potential.

Good, but I have seen many threads such as this one questioning his performances and the wisdom of the signing at this early stage it is most unhelpful to our plans of building a long term team.

Patience is needed now more than ever and how do you know how strong or weak a charecter he is? If we dropped any of us into Uruguay at the age of 22 with a foriegn language and culture, are we more, or less, likely to succeed within a good supporting environment or one of continuous critiscism? Particulalry as the expectations for instant performances are enhanced by the size of the fee rather than future potential.

Well if we didn't speak the language then we wouldn't be getting upset about people supposedly slagging us off on an Internet forum would we.

It is the same people that hyped up the siginging that are now the critics! I am saying for any 22 year old good player with Gastons pedigree most of the fee is based on future potential than current performance and that is a fact!

It is because some fans judge his current performance against the size of the fee ignoring the future potential element that leads them to disappointment .

We are buying and bringing on players to develop a team and style of play lets not forget that!

Well if we didn't speak the language then we wouldn't be getting upset about people supposedly slagging us off on an Internet forum would we.

You dont really think that is a serious point do you? The Americans dont speak Korean so I guess they are totally unaware that a crazy dictator is declaring war on them in a silly foriegn language!

You dont really think that is a serious point do you? The Americans dont speak Korean so I guess they are totally unaware that a crazy dictator is declaring war on them in a silly foriegn language!

Good point, a country threatening war on another country is exactly the same as a few idiots on a football forum saying a player isn't worth the money.

Good point, a country threatening war on another country is exactly the same as a few idiots on a football forum saying a player isn't worth the money.

As you are well aware, It was a sarcastic response to your equally silly point that if you speak a foriegn language it is therefore ok to slag you off in another language as you would be non the wiser!

He is man for man far superior to anyone else that has ever played in his position in this country in the entire history of Soccerball and would get into any team in the country.
Getting very boring now... You need some new material.

Its weird because I know he has got it, I was impressed with him when I saw him at arsenal even though we were dicked 6-1 and thought that he will be a real exciting asset to us, but for some reason it has not really happened.

At the moment I am frustrated with him and am thinking could that money have been better spent but there is also something telling me that he will come good.

Whether he is unable to settle in the UK and is unhappy, or maybe our style does not suit him or the actual game over here is different to what he is use too I dont know, but if we sell him now there is no way we will recoup anything near what we paid so on reflection it perhaps it might be best to keep him and hope that MP sorts him out and starts bringing the best out of him.

Its weird because I know he has got it, I was impressed with him when I saw him at arsenal even though we were dicked 6-1 and thought that he will be a real exciting asset to us, but for some reason it has not really happened.

At the moment I am frustrated with him and am thinking could that money have been better spent but there is also something telling me that he will come good.

Whether he is unable to settle in the UK and is unhappy, or maybe our style does not suit him or the actual game over here is different to what he is use too I dont know, but if we sell him now there is no way we will recoup anything near what we paid so on reflection it perhaps it might be best to keep him and hope that MP sorts him out and starts bringing the best out of him.

this is what some people don't understand they think we could sell him for laughable amounts someone said we would definitely double our money to 28million! when they truth is hes worth about seven million tops at the moment and no club would bid more than that

this is what some people don't understand they think we could sell him for laughable amounts someone said we would definitely double our money to 28million! when they truth is hes worth about seven million tops at the moment and no club would bid more than that

I dont agree, i think we would easily get more than 7m for him based on his career to date and his potential going forward, 12m howeer may be a stretch as it was when we bought him! But we are not trying to sell him now anyway we are trying to build a a young team for the future playing good football of which he may well be a part of! whether the investment turns out to be good or bad will be based on what he might be worth at 25/26/27. The answer to that is nobody can yet tell. I do however suspect the club are reasonably pleased with his progress to date!

It is certainly true that many young players don't achieve their potential. I don't believe that that will be the case with Gaston. IMHO it can take players a lot longer than you think to get used to a new culture and a new footballing culture. The Prem is really not much like any other league with its emphasis on speed, endurance and athleticism and a (relatively) young player can take longer to adjust. I would guess that Ramirez has shown enough to the coaches in training for them to back him. If he hasn't then they will ship him out. Personally, I would rather back their judgement than that of posters on here.

He wasted a few freekicks but on the other hand he hits them very high risk. The one where Ricky almost scored (and where the ref ruled offside, which it wasn't) was brilliant and he did a carbon copy of that freekick a bit later but the nobody got on the end of it so it looked a waste. In reality that was also a good freekick its just that Ramirez didn't have their timing synced to perfection, a bit unfair to criticize him too much for that since he obviously gets instructions to take the freekicks like that.

You simply cannot defend those free-kicks. The first one was inside the post and easily saved, the majority of the others were played outside the far post, too quickly for anyone to be onside and get to them, but too slowly to be shots to worry the keeper (and outside the post anyway). They were uniformly rubbish, and he shouldn't have been still taking them after the second one.

The rest of his game after the first 20 minutes I thought he was all the same flick and the same "trying to control it 3 yards away from himself to take it on the run" stuff that Guly was getting slated for all last season. He needs to work on his strength, his hold up play and a couple of new moves to get past people, because at the moment he does the exact same flick with the outside of his boot in trying to roll his marker, and he gets caught or muscled off it 3/4 times.

I still think he'll come good, but he spends too much time not getting past people and on the floor appealing for stuff you just don't get in the Prem, at the moment.

Just for the record, I was in New York last week and they singularly failed to mention North Korea on their news broadcasts for the first 4 days I was there. Now the Rutgers Basketball coach, him I knew about. I was also staying in Koreatown, so they'd have known even if the others didn't. ;)

what is thread? Didn't he play well yesterday and score a good goal?

Neither of those IMO. He did score a goal, finished it well, but only after a spawny deflection and their defence committing two players to the same block.

You simply cannot defend those free-kicks. The first one was inside the post and easily saved, the majority of the others were played outside the far post, too quickly for anyone to be onside and get to them, but too slowly to be shots to worry the keeper (and outside the post anyway). They were uniformly rubbish, and he shouldn't have been still taking them after the second one.

The rest of his game after the first 20 minutes I thought he was all the same flick and the same "trying to control it 3 yards away from himself to take it on the run" stuff that Guly was getting slated for all last season. He needs to work on his strength, his hold up play and a couple of new moves to get past people, because at the moment he does the exact same flick with the outside of his boot in trying to roll his marker, and he gets caught or muscled off it 3/4 times.

I still think he'll come good, but he spends too much time not getting past people and on the floor appealing for stuff you just don't get in the Prem, at the moment.

I dont understand why he's taking set-pieces at all. The frustration on Pochettino's face when he subbed him after the last fiasco said it all. I know SRL got on the end of a Gaston freekick and almost scored, but the others were just so badly wasted, and against the type of side where we needed to make them count. He is a very good player, but shouldn't be our default option for freekicks and corners.

Ramirez had a reasonable game yesterday. I'm (easily) impressed that he hasn't gone into sulk mode yet, nor is he a prima donna, nor is there any evidence that he doesn't want to be here.

Au contraire, I see a young man that is almost trying too hard to be successful and too hard to be liked. He constantly wants the ball and constantly tries to get us moving forward, yesterday he was excellent in defence and frequently worked hard to deny W Ham space, or to double up with Clyne. He clearly has great technical ability and good spatial awareness of the position of defenders and his own players, unfortunately he doesn't have the mind set to do the obvious/simple thing and feels the pressure to 'create' every time he has the ball. He is courageous (stupid?) in possession and always backs himself to take opponents on (when the easy ball would be the obvious alternative).

If we could transplant a 30 year old top footballing brain into the body of a 21 year old innocent abroad we would have a world player on our hands, unfortunately we have a 21 year old who wants to be doing and taking everything, to the detriment of his own and the team's performance.

I think we (the management) need to take a good long look at what GR can contribute (ability, inspiration, goals, improvisation, hard work) and get much more of a focus and a grip on this.

No more 40 yd freekicks (no more free kicks full stop), no more running down blind alleys followed by the embarrassingly big fall.

And FFS get his conditioning up to a level where he can play 90 minutes!

If we could do all this we would have our very own Cantona on our hands, easily good enough for where we want to go but very much a work in progress at this stage.

I dont understand why he's taking set-pieces at all. The frustration on Pochettino's face when he subbed him after the last fiasco said it all. I know SRL got on the end of a Gaston freekick and almost scored, but the others were just so badly wasted, and against the type of side where we needed to make them count. He is a very good player, but shouldn't be our default option for freekicks and corners.

I thought it may have been some kind of plan to get Allardyce to have a heart attack over all the wasted set pieces or something.

Ramirez had a reasonable game yesterday. I'm (easily) impressed that he hasn't gone into sulk mode yet, nor is he a prima donna, nor is there any evidence that he doesn't want to be here.

That's a fair point, he doesn't go into hiding, hasn't got himself an attitude, and he's always trying to make things happen. Can't say I really saw much of the defending side of things through the rain on the far side of the pitch, but he has previously shown he will work back.

I just think when we've used the pressing game that the team has been working better without him recently - but you could say the same of Lallana to a point. I think they both have a role to play in the next few seasons.

Neither of those IMO. He did score a goal, finished it well, but only after a spawny deflection and their defence committing two players to the same block.

I thought he was the most likely to create something and other than free kicks did play well. The9 hasn't a clue and thought that sharp would start more games than lambert this year so don't take him too seriously.

That's a fair point, he doesn't go into hiding, hasn't got himself an attitude, and he's always trying to make things happen. Can't say I really saw much of the defending side of things through the rain on the far side of the pitch, but he has previously shown he will work back.

I just think when we've used the pressing game that the team has been working better without him recently - but you could say the same of Lallana to a point. I think they both have a role to play in the next few seasons.

Second half infront of kingsland northam corner he made a great tackle and then passed a good ball to j rod who was fouled. There's you're evidence yesterday. No doubt you were trying to pick holes in lambert.

He is suffering from the fact that a lot of our fans are small time and think 12 million should buy you a world beater.

Agree with this along with the knee jerkers tendency to write people off just before they came good.

Gaston had no say in the fee and you can't judge quality purely on price - this place is free but i am still not sure it is worth it.

Top in the interceptions on Saturday, seems to have taken the new style on board.

He is frustrating, but also has the ability to do the unexpected, the inspirational. Rather like a certain MLT. Good for those games when teams come and park the bus. He'll come good. PS he scored our goal yesterday.

Gaston is a quality player who could be awesome in due course.

For now though his set piece delivery is not good enough.

I think he is still a bit confused over what is expected and lacks the total confidence that is required for set piece delivery (case in point SRL penalties). Is there any feedback from Staplewood over what his training free-kicks are like? We have to assume that because he is taking them on matchday that he is the best person to take them - but I have to say that Fox has a much sweeter left foot delivery than what ive seen so far from Gaston on set piece or in play crossing. I suspect that at this level we are looking for extra cunning and the hit it diagonal to the far stick for rickie approach is a bit too basic and obvious a tactic for the premiership - hence numerous variations this season from him, all mainly ineffective though.

His on the ball in play ability is excellent and he is learning to work for the team even more so overall I am very happy with him. I'd let Davies take some more of the set pieces myself until gaston gets his form back if they are not shot on goal territory which is obviously Rickie time.

Agree with this along with the knee jerkers tendency to write people off just before they came good.

Gaston had no say in the fee and you can't judge quality purely on price - this place is free but i am still not sure it is worth it.

Harsh but quite possibly true :lol:

In my view Gaston still lacks fitness both mental and physical to last any more than 55/60 minutes as of yet.

Other than that he could be clapped out for this season, played in the Olympics and has been shuttling back and forth for internationals. I suppose he's on about 35/36 games since the start of last summer already.

Edited by Window Cleaner