Well done Saints

Batman

Fulham could lose by up to 10 goals if we lost by twelve by the way and they would stay up !,

ah no it's only 12 if Villa lose 5-4 or like having scored 4 goals; perhaps Fulham have scored less than us though. Whatever it isn't going to happen and Arsenal will not lose against Wigan anyway. It will cost them 20 million and just won't happen.

Untrue. Saints themselves lost the first 5 and stayed up in 98/99. We are, however, the first promoted side to do that. But then I'm pretty sure we're also probably one of very few teams in Prem history to play 3 of the top 4 in their first 4 matches.

EDIT : In my faffing about with the predictor someone has already pointed this out. :(

I remember posting this quote from John Motson when he previewed the Swansea game last autumn:

"Only one club has stayed up after losing eight of their opening 10 Premier League games, but looking on the bright side that team was Southampton (in 1993-94). "

So we've now done it twice!

Staying up was always a successful season and we've done that so its mission accomplished. Despite all the divs claiming how great it was teams below us were winning, ensuring our safety was the first job and then pushing on up the table. With 4-5 additions to the squad then we an push on next season to be an established midtable side.

Staying up was always a successful season and we've done that so its mission accomplished. Despite all the divs claiming how great it was teams below us were winning, ensuring our safety was the first job and then pushing on up the table. With 4-5 additions to the squad then we an push on next season to be an established midtable side.

once again we would now be 10 th if Gazzaniga hadn't thrown away 4 points in 2 games. A rash and foolish experiment for which the perpetrator was duly dismissed.

Yes.

I think this thread is important.

What a great season, I've been angry, happy and all points in between but the players and staff have done us proud.

How great to be staying up and a stress-free last game. Imagine being a QPR or Reading fan?

I think it needs to be remembered that quite a few players in our squad have had no, or at the least very little, experience in the Premiership. Not many players get promoted from League One, The Championship and carry on playing and making a difference in the Premiership.

Well done Saints and hopefully next season we move on a level and really start to scare clubs in this division.

once again we would now be 10 th if Gazzaniga hadn't thrown away 4 points in 2 games. A rash and foolish experiment for which the perpetrator was duly dismissed.

If, If, if. if Jay Rod hadn't gone down at Villa and Benteke had taken one of his numerous chances we'd be 2 points above the drop zone and Villa would be 11th. If Joe Hart and Gareth Barry hasn't messed up we'd 17th only two points above the drop zone. If both of these scenarios had happened we'd be in the drop zone and probably going down.These things work both ways you know.

Edited by Turkish

Can't be a Saints' fan who isn't pleased we are staying up but the other emotion is feeling relieved. Its just that it shouldn't have come so close after expectations were raised so high by the home wins against Man City, Liverpool and Chelsea. Statistically, it didn't seem possible that we would lose the last two games (Sunderland and Stoke) as that would have been a run of four league defeats which had not previously happened all season. But something does seem missing that the team has been playing attractive possession football without converting enough possession into goals. So, Well Done Saints, but please don't rest on your laurels as one season in the bottom half on the table is enough, thanks.

I remember posting this quote from John Motson when he previewed the Swansea game last autumn:

"Only one club has stayed up after losing eight of their opening 10 Premier League games, but looking on the bright side that team was Southampton (in 1993-94). "

So we've now done it twice!

Fantastic bit of trivia that I will bore peeps with for years to come.

If, If, if. if Jay Rod hadn't gone down at Villa and Benteke had taken one of his numerous chances we'd be 2 points above the drop zone and Villa would be 11th. If Joe Hart and Gareth Barry hasn't messed up we'd 17th only two points above the drop zone. If both of these scenarios had happened we'd be in the drop zone and probably going down.These things work both ways you know.

Yes and if my auntie had ****** she'd be my uncle.

Well after the Stoke game I look forward to 'A review of the season' Always one of my favourite threads. However, it must only start after the very last season.

I have been bold in my predictions this year and it will be interesting to see if 39 points is enough for any team to stay up.

We are safe, but if we lose to Stoke it will be tighter than some predicted.

Said before the season started, that I would be very happy with 17th, and as it stands we look like we will better that! Most important thing was not to drop down, now we can further establish ourselves with the financial security the new Premier League deal brings. Onwards and upwards, well done Saints!

Brilliant achievement. I really hope now we turn it on against Stoke to provide a grandstand finish, a good win and tenth and above Fat Sam is still possible - been a crazy season! Proud and relieved whatever happens, but want us to have a right dig in the last game, to be as attractive a proposition to the incoming half dozen superstars as possible ;-)

In the circumstance it is a great achievement and a weight off my mind.

In the context of what the club wants to achieve moving forward I don't think they will be celebrating at all. We avoided relegation and the club won't want to be thinking just doing that is acceptable with the goals they want to achieve.

Travelling back after the West Brom away game I thought that was the lowest point of the season. Such an abject performance. The hopes that an open game playing pretty football would be enough were shattered and it was back to the drawing board. Credit to all involved at the club for turning it around. The future is promising but I think this season will be a great learning curve for all about what is required to win games at the highest level. It is now a summer for the club to make a statement and plans are already well underway for that to occur.

In the circumstance it is a great achievement and a weight off my mind.

In the context of what the club wants to achieve moving forward I don't think they will be celebrating at all. We avoided relegation and the club won't want to be thinking just doing that is acceptable with the goals they want to achieve.

Travelling back after the West Brom away game I thought that was the lowest point of the season. Such an abject performance. The hopes that an open game playing pretty football would be enough were shattered and it was back to the drawing board. Credit to all involved at the club for turning it around. The future is promising but I think this season will be a great learning curve for all about what is required to win games at the highest level. It is now a summer for the club to make a statement and plans are already well underway for that to occur.

Maybe in the long run the WBA game will e a blessing A reality check and less likelihood of people fooling themselves into thinking we can sit back and relax.

That's it! We have done it.MP raised our game when it mattered and the players responded. Should've been a win today, but for efficient goalkeeping by Sunderland.

We are above Fulham too! A good final match could take us to mid table and will raise the roof at St Mary's.

We are staying up... And after watching Wigan yesterday, Sunderland have to be worried. Di Canio deserves to relegate.

We will not lose at home by 13 odd goals. We are safe.

WELL DONE SAINTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!