Éver Banega

Glasgow_Saint

Well he certainly has the 'young' element, but looking at the picture it's hard to determine whether the essential 'hunger' element is also present. If the link is true, I guess we'll have to take it on faith that he is indeed suitably malnourished to fit in with the project.

Well he certainly has the 'young' element, but looking at the picture it's hard to determine whether the essential 'hunger' element is also present. If the link is true, I guess we'll have to take it on faith that he is indeed suitably malnourished to fit in with the project.

He also looks a very good player already so not sure if he will be guranteed to improve either.

Alex Crook also said we wouldn't sign anyone until after July 1st. Another lazy lying scumbag journo.

Given the transfer window does not open until July 1st he probably isn't as lazy as you would think. Unless we are signing a free agent thems the rules buddy.

This Spanish source seems to thing that the chance of Banega ever playing for us is virtually nil.

http://www.superdeporte.es/valencia/2013/06/14/southampton-interesado-fichar-banega/199128.html

The English team recognizes the quality of Argentine player and pretend negotiate an affordable price for his transfer, have money to invest, but the chances that chooses Ever play in a club like this are virtually nil.

Given the transfer window does not open until July 1st he probably isn't as lazy as you would think. Unless we are signing a free agent thems the rules buddy.

No, thems not the rules buddy. You could be a lazy lying journo yourself!

Not sure there is any age in their 20s when players can't improve as experience and technique is added to natural skill. There comes a plateau and then a decline but hardly at 25! Isn't Rickie is a good example of a player improving all through his 20s? Maybe its unfair to judge a guy on appearances but Banega looks like he might not be a stranger to the nightlife, of which Southampton has much to offer a 25-year old....

This Spanish source seems to thing that the chance of Banega ever playing for us is virtually nil.

http://www.superdeporte.es/valencia/2013/06/14/southampton-interesado-fichar-banega/199128.html

To be fair, plenty of people (journos etc) said exactly the same regarding Gaston. We shouldn't have had a chance with him, but we did. Money speaks loudly. Not sure how much he's on at Valencia, but given their poor financial position I wouldn't imagine he's on massive money.

OK should we try again.

Transfer windows only decides when a player can start PLAYING for his new club.

You can sign player whenever you want, 365 days every year (except every fourth year of course when it´s 366)

Ok people?

To be fair, plenty of people (journos etc) said exactly the same regarding Gaston. We shouldn't have had a chance with him, but we did. Money speaks loudly. Not sure how much he's on at Valencia, but given their poor financial position I wouldn't imagine he's on massive money.

Dont know how reliable it is but I found a link saying he´s on €13k/week. Couldn´t find out if it´s net or not though. (Probably net but even so not THAT much)

Dont know how reliable it is but I found a link saying he´s on €13k/week. Couldn´t find out if it´s net or not though. (Probably net but even so not THAT much)

If that's a fair figure, we could comfortable increase that. So could lots of other teams though...

I know :)

I rather cheekily posted that to prime the thread for his eventual signing!

What?! I am a part of the happy clapper crowd, after all. Besides, NC is a persuasive bugger.

I know :)

I rather cheekily posted that to prime the thread for his eventual signing!

What?! I am a part of the happy clapper crowd, after all. Besides, NC is a persuasive bugger.

As we speak, he's tied him down on a chair force feeding him DVD's of our history.

He ticks every box. Just needs lots of money plus a mega sales job of "the project" to him. He can easily play CL football this season so to actively choose NOT to in the year before the WC by joining Saints needs some pitch( and a big big wedge of cash to him) otherwise he will be seen as lacking ambition. MP is crucial to this. He may still have some influence / credibility on the Argentinian set-up so Ever would not be outcast by joining us.

As we speak, he's tied him down on a chair force feeding him DVD's of our history.

Naturally this DVD will already have Banega photo-shopped into it as well, holding the Johnston Paint trophy aloft (probably photoshopped with Champions league cup over it as well)!!

OK should we try again.

Transfer windows only decides when a player can start PLAYING for his new club.

You can sign player whenever you want, 365 days every year (except every fourth year of course when it´s 366)

Ok people?

Technically not true, the player's registration cannot be transferred outside of the transfer window, that's the whole point. Of course he cannot play, but the old club still officially holds his registration until the transfer window is open. OK?

Another couple of points on transfers here.

First, I think there is a snowball effect to be had from punching above our weight in the transfer market. I posted in the Ramirez thread last year about this, and have been slightly vindicated by the signing of Lovren. Whatever the disappointed Lyon fans might have to say about him, reading between the lines, it seems that he's a good player with some disciplinary problems to iron out. He might have an easier time of it in the EPL, as some French wags commented. Still, most of the reaction from fans of other clubs indicate that this is something of a coup, the Bleacher report on him was written on the assumption that he might be a Chelsea player and most newspaper articles feature the word "promising". These players are obviously being sold on the clubs vision (and lets not kid ourselves, the renumeration). A few more transfers like this, and these coups will no longer be that unusual. Don't get me wrong; I'm not suggesting that our transfer record has been an unqualified success, but we can pull off these unexpected transfers.

The other factor is the EPL. I know that many English fans pining for the days of the terraces and football being a working men's game are looking at the atmosphere generated by the Bundesliga with envious eyes, but as a marketable product, I think it's tough to beat the EPL on television. World class talent, several teams capable of chasing for honours (well, more than two, anyway) and massively supported across the world. The only true rivals are La Liga, which the money is disappearing from and has turned into a two horse race. The Bundesliga, the biggest challenger, but perhaps lacking the proliferation of world class talent (some notable exceptions aside) and some of the world-renowned derby encounters ( the Berlin derby is supposed to be vicious ). The Italian league is strong, and has some great talents, but it's not as exciting.

This is a huge shop window for players. That, combined with our documented ability to get players that are better than we are supposed to have, suggests to me we'll see a few more "surprises" this close season, although some of us are getting less surprised :)

Technically not true, the player's registration cannot be transferred outside of the transfer window, that's the whole point. Of course he cannot play, but the old club still officially holds his registration until the transfer window is open. OK?

So what you are saying is that we haven´t got the registrations papers yet?

Yes.

But people aren´t talking about that, they (and myself) are talking about signing deals with player/club. And that you can obviously do....

The transfer window does not open until July 1st thems the rules buddy.

Page 180 of the Premier League rulebook...

V.2.

The first Transfer Window in any year shall commence at midnight on the last day of the Season and shall end on 31st August next if a Working Day or, if not, on the first Working Day thereafter, at a time to be determined by the Board.

http://www.premierleague.com/content/dam/premierleague/site-content/News/publications/handbooks/premier-league-handbook-2012-2013.pdf

:toppa:

So you think that Lovren is still a Lyon player? They are still paying him wages and we won't be until July 1st?

First, I think there is a snowball effect to be had from punching above our weight in the transfer market. I posted in the Ramirez thread last year about this, and have been slightly vindicated by the signing of Lovren. Whatever the disappointed Lyon fans might have to say about him, reading between the lines, it seems that he's a good player with some disciplinary problems to iron out. He might have an easier time of it in the EPL, as some French wags commented. Still, most of the reaction from fans of other clubs indicate that this is something of a coup, the Bleacher report on him was written on the assumption that he might be a Chelsea player and most newspaper articles feature the word "promising". These players are obviously being sold on the clubs vision (and lets not kid ourselves, the renumeration). A few more transfers like this, and these coups will no longer be that unusual. Don't get me wrong; I'm not suggesting that our transfer record has been an unqualified success, but we can pull off these unexpected transfers.

The other factor is the EPL. I know that many English fans pining for the days of the terraces and football being a working men's game are looking at the atmosphere generated by the Bundesliga with envious eyes, but as a marketable product, I think it's tough to beat the EPL on television. World class talent, several teams capable of chasing for honours (well, more than two, anyway) and massively supported across the world. The only true rivals are La Liga, which the money is disappearing from and has turned into a two horse race. The Bundesliga, the biggest challenger, but perhaps lacking the proliferation of world class talent (some notable exceptions aside) and some of the world-renowned derby encounters ( the Berlin derby is supposed to be vicious ). The Italian league is strong, and has some great talents, but it's not as exciting.

This is a huge shop window for players. That, combined with our documented ability to get players that are better than we are supposed to have, suggests to me we'll see a few more "surprises" this close season, although some of us are getting less surprised :)

Good post Paps, not often reputations points are handed out on the main board, so you should be pleased with this one! +1 reputations point for paps.

Good post. If you think about it, we've kind of punched above our weight in every transfer window since Markus bought us. In our first window we pulled one out of the bag in Lambert, and also - who maybe didn't have the impact we expected - Papa Waigo was signed by a L1 club from a top flight Italian club, and he was clearly better than L1. Then we managed to lure Jose Fonte from the Championship to L1 in the January window.

The following season we signed Guly, a regular in a promotion winning Cesena side who was about to embark on becoming a Serie A regular player, yet we got him here to L1 - we had no real right to do that either.

In the championship we managed to secure Jack Cork, ahead of so many (bigger clubs) at the time. That again, in our position (just being promoted) was a signing that we weren't expected to pull off in any way, but we did.

And obviously, last year - Gaston. Wanted by a host of top clubs, yet we jumped ahead of all to bring him in. A bit of a hit and miss season, but you have to say that we seriously punched above our weight to sign him. So all of that points to there being more of the same in this window, and maybe even bigger scale.

Plenty of people clamouring for Cork to be dropped even though EB hasn't even signed, let alone Valencia accepting any sort of bid from us. Wonderfully short-sighted stuff.

"Oooooooooooooooh, new flashy thing, I want!"

1 day later

"Old flashy thing is rubbish, I want .... ooooooooooooooh, new flashy thing, I want!"

Ad infinitum.

Plenty of people clamouring for Cork to be dropped even though EB hasn't even signed, let alone Valencia accepting any sort of bid from us. Wonderfully short-sighted stuff.

"Oooooooooooooooh, new flashy thing, I want!"

1 day later

"Old flashy thing is rubbish, I want .... ooooooooooooooh, new flashy thing, I want!"

Ad infinitum.

Yet if Cork handed in a transfer request wanting to move to a bigger club he'd be an arrogant tosser,