Éver Banega

Glasgow_Saint

Sorry if already here....

Banega is a passionate supporter of Newell's old boys.

He has the club crest as a tattoo.

Pochettino started his career there.

2002 he was playing in world cup.

If player from club you support plays in world cup could be he is bit of a hero?

Banega would have been impressionable 14 year old in 2002.

Wishful thinking?

Sorry if already here....

Banega is a passionate supporter of Newell's old boys.

He has the club crest as a tattoo.

Pochettino started his career there.

2002 he was playing in world cup.

If player from club you support plays in world cup could be he is bit of a hero?

Banega would have been impressionable 14 year old in 2002.

Wishful thinking?

....he then sees his hero make a clumsy challenge resulting in his beloved nation crashing out of the tournament. At that moment the young Ever promised himself that one day he would take revenge, if only he could get close enough to that pesky Pochettino to be able to really hurt him................

They'd obviously prefer our cash-up-front offer - but Banega would obviously prefer Inter.

We're basically using our financial position to punch above our weight. Get our bids in early, tempt these financially struggling clubs with up front cash that lots of other european clubs can't match and offer the player a decent contract and a chance to play in the premier league. As long as the likes of Arsenal, Liverpool, City, PSG, Monaco etc don't come in and match us we hold quite a few advantages and seem to be competing with the 'next tier' of clubs around Europe like Inter, Lyon, Valencia etc. that aren't quite up there with the biggest clubs.

Steve Miller Band - Abracadabra.

Ever Ever Banega... I wanna reach out and grab ya.

The last bit needs some work, but what a lovely song that would be. He should sign for us because of it in fact.

Ever Ever Banega.... No defender can tame ya.....

We're basically using our financial position to punch above our weight. Get our bids in early, tempt these financially struggling clubs with up front cash that lots of other european clubs can't match and offer the player a decent contract and a chance to play in the premier league. As long as the likes of Arsenal, Liverpool, City, PSG, Monaco etc don't come in and match us we hold quite a few advantages and seem to be competing with the 'next tier' of clubs around Europe like Inter, Lyon, Valencia etc. that aren't quite up there with the biggest clubs.

Remember that Inter are in no European competition at all next season too, and aren't likely to qualify for the CL next season IMO (which has been down to 3 places in Italy for the last couple of seasons). So whilst they are obviously a far far bigger club than we will ever be, in terms of footballing prospects they don't offer an awful lot more than we could right now.

Remember that Inter are in no European competition at all next season too, and aren't likely to qualify for the CL next season IMO (which has been down to 3 places in Italy for the last couple of seasons). So whilst they are obviously a far far bigger club than we will ever be, in terms of footballing prospects they don't offer an awful lot more than we could right now.

Nope, doubt they will be challenging for Champions League any time soon. They are Inter though, a massive massive club, that draw still seems to work for Liverpool despite being nowhere near champions league for a few seasons now. I suppose Inter don;t have Liverpools cash though.

If Inter are the competition then it's no contest I'm afraid. Let's not delude ourselves shall we? Anyway, in between running himself over, being drunk, and bashing the bishop live on the internet (allegedly), he won't have time to play football for them. So, we save our money and don't have a disruptive influence in the dressing room. A win-win.

If Inter are the competition then it's no contest I'm afraid. Let's not delude ourselves shall we? Anyway, in between running himself over, being drunk, and bashing the bishop live on the internet (allegedly), he won't have time to play football for them. So, we save our money and don't have a disruptive influence in the dressing room. A win-win.

Football needs characters like him. I suppose you'd love a team full people with the charisma of Gary Neville.

Football needs characters like him. I suppose you'd love a team full people with the charisma of Gary Neville.

I agree football needs characters - when they add to the general team spirit. But, come on, lewd acts over the internet is something entirely different. That's not being a 'character' in my opinion, that's just plain disgusting behaviour. If you're happy with that then it's up to you, but to most people it is completely unacceptable.

I agree football needs characters - when they add to the general team spirit. But, come on, lewd acts over the internet is something entirely different. That's not being a 'character' in my opinion, that's just plain disgusting behaviour. If you're happy with that then it's up to you, but to most people it is completely unacceptable.

Why do you keep watching the video if you are so disgusted by it? No one is forcing you pal!

No one complained when it was Tulisa!!

What!? Just wanted some lunchtime celebrity gossip. :p

i take it you didn't see the video that was going round about a year ago?

just to be clear neither did i by the way that sort of behaviour is sick and vulgar. :o

There also comes a point when the teams who would command the most prestige have their full squad complement of players. Most of these teams are already stuffed with big name players and are just tinkering, fine tuning. Then as you say, it becomes more viable for players from abroad to look at teams like us if they have ambitions of playing in the Premiership in preference over the other European Leagues, which are not as big a draw as the Premiership.

There also comes a point when the teams who would command the most prestige have their full squad complement of players. Most of these teams are already stuffed with big name players and are just tinkering, fine tuning. Then as you say, it becomes more viable for players from abroad to look at teams like us if they have ambitions of playing in the Premiership in preference over the other European Leagues, which are not as big a draw as the Premiership.

Yep Chelsea for example just seem to be stockpiling talent out on loan, imagine adding Lukaku, Courtois, De Bruyne, and Essien to our team.

They have already added Schurrle to go with Hazard, Oscar, Marin, Moses, De Bruyne, Mata who can all play in the same position.

Man City have Nasri, Sinclair, Silva, Toure, Fernandinho, Navas, Milner as attacking mid options.

....he then sees his hero make a clumsy challenge resulting in his beloved nation crashing out of the tournament. At that moment the young Ever promised himself that one day he would take revenge, if only he could get close enough to that pesky Pochettino to be able to really hurt him................

Surely he would want to take revenge on dirty owen for his filth dive that besmirched the name of his hero, The Pooch!

Pochettino and Banega will be happy today: http://hastaelgolsiempre.com/2013/06/19/torneo-final-2013-newells-campeon/

Maybe they'll celebrate by finalising Banega's move to Saints?

(Interesting side note... In addition to having "NOB" on their crest, the accepted nickname of Newell's Old Boys is "The Lepers". Lovely club!)

Edited by syd_barrett_saint

So... just to return to this thread which seems to have gone quiet lately... any news on Banega?

I notice that this French website lists the transfer of Banega to Southampton as being under discussion: http://www.football.fr/football/espagne/mercato-foot.html (or does 'on en parle' mean 'people are talking about it' i.e. it's a rumour?)

I also notice (and I am sure this must have been mentioned elsewhere) that there is some discrepancy as to when his contract is up for renewal. Goal.com suggest that his contract expires on 30 June 2013 - i.e. this coming Sunday, whereas Sky Sports have previously reported that his contract runs until 2015: http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11837/7441959/Banega-signs-new-deal

Personally, I think he looked phenomenal on the video footage (and yes I know that SDR looked very good on YouTube too, but this video showed more than a player making a few mazy runs!) and if he is as good as he looks I hope we will be announcing we have signed him very soon!

Unfortunately, I know nothing to suggest that we will! :)

"Ever Banega can report income more or less interesting to the Valencian club battered economy, so it would not be surprising to be put on sale. Offers by the player not lacking but the truth is that the last word will coach Djukic."

Doubt it somehow, Djukic might fight to keep him but reckon the final decision will be financially based. Certainly Banega would earn more with a Premiership side..

So I guess this needs bumping now that MP has confirmed we have been looking at him?

I wonder if MP has transgressed one of the Chairman's principles because he earlier stated " Southampton has certain principles and values in the way we carry out negotiations set out by the chairman"....i thought one of those was to say nothing and not name names?

alex_crook: Think the reports in Spain saying #saintsfc have bid €9 euros for Banega are close to the mark

Really? €9 Euros? Buy him now!! If he doesn't match up to the price tag, sell him for a million and we've made a near million pound profit!

@TransferTweeterSouthampton have agreed a fee with Valencia for Ever Banega #saintsfc #valencia #Transfers

Agreeing the fee does not seem to be our problem, just concluding the deal for whatever (often good) reason.