Éver Banega

Glasgow_Saint

We got it wrong last time. i agree with buctootim.

But I think that NC in particular would want to learn from that mistake/ misjudgement.

And that's why we have Lovren in early plus big vic, shaw and boruc signed up etc. Our defensive team is stronger than last year. I would like an extra fb but am guessing we have cover in the squad plus that's what the academy is for in part right? I'm not certain there's any need to get aggrieved if our next buy is, say Banega. He would in all probability be an upgrade on AL SD and JP if I'm being brutally honest, he's a current Argentinian international FFS!

Elsewhre I think it's abundantly clear saints are looking to strengthen our attacking options. That we have not got that resolved is no surprise though- the kind of high level player we are now looking at will be part of a complex interconnected web of other transfers and alternate scenarios. Only Monaco bought early with Falcao, only 12 hours ago Cavani completed, only a few hours later we hear Rooney is to go, hulk is apparently available in the last few hours also. If we wanted an off the shelf striker we would have had three by now of the common garden variety.

The likes of Osvaldo and Damiao are the level below these names as well as others like Negredo soldado and higuain. With those resolved our turn will come.

We would not be getting associated with Catania strikers for example if we did not have a plan b, or c, and were unaware that we needed striking reinforcement. That's why the names are leaking out of these others ( plus it shows we have options) .

We will get a striker. Just hope it's a good one of first or second choice, not 5th or 6th choice.

Fair comment. I agree with almost all. Last close season I certainly had faith there would be plans a,b and c to address the defensive weaknesses so was relaxed about, if a little puzzled, by spending £13m on Ramirez. I never believed we would start the campaign with KD backed up only by Gazzaniga and no CBs coming in. Turns out I was wrong. Like you I hope Cortese has learnt.

Edited by buctootim

Banega is not in the Valencia squad for tonight's friendly.

anyone got a legitimate reason why?....injury,extended break before returns to training?....in talks with another club?

He has already had extended leave before meeting up with the Valencia squad in Germany, so no obvious reason unless carrying an injury...

Unless...it's happening? :scared:

He has already had extended leave before meeting up with the Valencia squad in Germany, so no obvious reason unless carrying an injury...

Unless...it's happening? :scared:

If he's had extended leave, similar to that of Maya, then he's probably not up to the level to play in a match yet.

Valencia CF @ valenciacf 2h

# SVWaldhofVCF Eleven of @ valenciacf will: Guaita, Joao, R. Costa, Mathieu, Cissokho, J. Fire, Parejo, Fede, Viera, Piatti and Alcacer

Valencia CF @ valenciacf 2h

# SVWaldhofVCF EYE: The final starting eleven will be: ALVES, Joao, R. Costa, Mathieu, Cissokho, J Fire, Parejo, Fede, Viera, Piatti and Alcacer.

Some mush on twitter tweeting a screen-grab of a supposed conversation with a mush from Skybet saying they aint taking anymore bets for Benega to Saints because they understand the deal is almost complete to sign him... large pinch of the old sodium of course...

This is something that may need to be taken with a pinch of salt as it came from twitter. Someone posted a screen cap of a chat they had with skybet support asking if they could get odds on Banega to Saints, the response he got was quite interesting, provided it is real.

BPdThkOCUAAlEx8.jpg:large

This is something that may need to be taken with a pinch of salt as it came from twitter. Someone posted a screen cap of a chat they had with skybet support asking if they could get odds on Banega to Saints, the response he got was quite interesting, provided it is real.

Glad I didn't post the picture now :)

BPdThkOCUAAlEx8.jpg:large

Strange this, as the guy (@tcumner1986) has obviously taken to paint to edit his surname out of the picture despite his surname appearing on his twitter handle. If legit then wonderful news, but I'm hoping no foul play is at work here...If the deal is pretty much sewn up then the decision to play Banega last night in the friendly was a strange one, especially as captain - a farewell gesture perhaps?

BPdeychCUAAWWh_.png:large

Looks like someone else has tried and got a similar answer. Hardly conclusive that he is signing, but bodes well.

Jen got pretty stroppy when Tom failed to respond didn't she. Time of the month or just the heat, whatdya reckon?

BPdeychCUAAWWh_.png:large

Looks like someone else has tried and got a similar answer. Hardly conclusive that he is signing, but bodes well.

Blimey - I didn't realise the girls on Live Chat Lines talked about football as well, I thought they just told you what they were (or not) wearing and that you'd been a very naughty boy and needed a spanking !!

You learn something new everyday on here.

Just had a similar chat with a nice lady from SkyBet who said that they couldnt give me a price as Saints are the only club in for him. I also asked for odds on Ever Banega to remain at Valencia before September 1st - she said they wouldnt be offering odds on the market at all. When I asked why, she just said "it is a business decision."

It is very peculiar for a bookie to refuse bets. I couldn't even credit them with laziness - once they've set the odds and tolerances up most of the revised odds will be automated after bets are taken without the intervention of traders. And if you look at some of the players they have markets for, they are quite obscure.

I've done a little bit of research and taken a look at an English fan forum for Valencia. It appears that failure to qualify for the Champions League has blown a massive hole in the accounts and the club must generate a decent amount of money from selling players otherwise they may not see out the next season. There is even talk of going bankrupt and starting again rather than having to go through selling the best players at the end of every season just to keep afloat. On that basis you can see why clubs may be playing the waiting game with their players - as the transfer window goes on Valencia's position to negotiate gets weaker and weaker. Rami, Banega, and Soldado could well all be leaving.

Saints' challenge will be timing getting a bid accepted whilst other teams won't be in the hunt, otherwise if the fee gets too low there will surely be more appealing destinations for Banega. Let the games begin...

Its all fun and games. This window we have been linked with and by all accounts made significant bids for, an Argentinian international midfielder, and the Brazilian number 9. Banega first came tro my attention on an older Fifa where his photo made him look ever so slightly like Ghengis Khan. Not a judgement on his football ability. Just saying be bares a passing resembalance to one of the most bloodthirsty and ruthless war lords that has ever existed.

It is very peculiar for a bookie to refuse bets. I couldn't even credit them with laziness - once they've set the odds and tolerances up most of the revised odds will be automated after bets are taken without the intervention of traders. And if you look at some of the players they have markets for, they are quite obscure.

I've done a little bit of research and taken a look at an English fan forum for Valencia. It appears that failure to qualify for the Champions League has blown a massive hole in the accounts and the club must generate a decent amount of money from selling players otherwise they may not see out the next season. There is even talk of going bankrupt and starting again rather than having to go through selling the best players at the end of every season just to keep afloat. On that basis you can see why clubs may be playing the waiting game with their players - as the transfer window goes on Valencia's position to negotiate gets weaker and weaker. Rami, Banega, and Soldado could well all be leaving.

Saints' challenge will be timing getting a bid accepted whilst other teams won't be in the hunt, otherwise if the fee gets too low there will surely be more appealing destinations for Banega. Let the games begin...

Banega and Soldado multipack then is it ?

Yes please

The skybet thing is a complete red herring imo. They have never had a market on this so it is not like they have stopped taking bets, they never started. With Wanyama it was known that other clubs were interested, with Banega it's only us allegedly. Therefore the market is really whether he will stay or go, and you will note they aren't offering prices on him staying either - so is that a done deal too?

Banega will replace Ramirez.

Banega would be a quality addition, however, if we sell Ramirez surely we are stuck in the same position we were last season of having one player who could potentially be great, but is not guaranteed to adjust to English football straight away, backed up by a hard working player like Davis who lacks the quality to create or score against those teams that will try sitting back and playing on the counter attack (which I think will be most sides outside the top 6)

Banega would be a quality addition, however, if we sell Ramirez surely we are stuck in the same position we were last season of having one player who could potentially be great, but is not guaranteed to adjust to English football straight away, backed up by a hard working player like Davis who lacks the quality to create or score against those teams that will try sitting back and playing on the counter attack (which I think will be most sides outside the top 6)

Davis had some great games for us last season.

Davis had some great games for us last season.

Like I said, he works hard and puts a shift in, and did put in some great displays against the better sides. I just don't think he is as effective against teams that sit on the edge of their own box and look for counter attacks as his play in the final third lacks quality.

Like I said, he works hard and puts a shift in, and did put in some great displays against the better sides. I just don't think he is as effective against teams that sit on the edge of their own box and look for counter attacks as his play in the final third lacks quality.

That is where Ramirez is a level above Davis. Five goals vs Davis two.

Banega is a far, far better player than Ramirez, with experience in the CL and of playing multiple positions. He would have no trouble playing 90 mins in the PL week in, week out. If he is mentally up for it is another matter