Éver Banega

Glasgow_Saint

We have just had a fee agreed for a player we have been previously linked with playing in La Liga.

Banega ?!

Where did you see this Bessie? Plenty of rumours tonight is Banega and apparently in the South American press!!

Cortese seems obsessed with midfielders. Its like previous years when we already had a good midfield but were still signing new players when goalkeeping, defence and attack were all deperately light.

Edited by buctootim

Cortese seems obsessed with midfielders. Its like previous years when we already had a good midfield but were still signing new players when goalkeeping, defence and attack were all deperately light. and were signing

Not since the days of Burley have we had so many discussions about signing so many midfielders -- Only this time you can replace the likes of Licka & Sarmiento with Wanyama & Banega :D

Saints play a formation with 5 "midfielders" and 1 striker, so transfer activity is bound to be weighted towards midfielders.

Which is the tactical, slow build up possession football so popular in Italy especially, for 1-0 results. Not exactly the exciting attacking 'Southampton way' tm

Wont believe it until I get a PM from Glasgow or Tokyo

I’m hanging up my ITK boots v.soon. Get to much hate from the resident SWF hate mob.

Quitting while I’m at the top…….

• Éver Banega

• Leandro Damiao

• Most popular SWF poster ever

• Victor Wanyama

• Kit release

• Player release list

• New bus

• Over 200 forum friends

• Season ticket prices

• Boruc

• Hand dryers

• Almost 10,000 profile visits

• Billy Sharp

• Lovren

Cortese seems obsessed with midfielders. Its like previous years when we already had a good midfield but were still signing new players when goalkeeping, defence and attack were all deperately light.

Probably to try and help us unlock some of the krap defences we didn't last season.

I’m hanging up my ITK boots v.soon. Get to much hate from the resident SWF hate mob.

• Éver Banega

• Leandro Damiao

• Victor Wanyama

• Kit release

• Player release list

• New bus

• Over 200 forum friends

• Season ticket prices

• Boruc

• Hand dryers

• Billy Sharp

• Lovren

Dont hang up your PM boots to me Glasgow, rise above the hate

• Éver Banega

• Leandro Damiao

• Victor Wanyama

• Kit release

• Player release list

• New bus

• Over 200 forum friends

• Season ticket prices

• Boruc

• Hand dryers

• Billy Sharp

• Lovren

If the Ever Banega one is true & happens then it would be fantastic, he is the one player I would love for us to sign.

Hand Dryers???

It doesn't have to be. Remember, Spain played with 7 midfielders in the euro 2012 final.

True but they weren't playing with Wanyama (0.19 goals per game gpg), Schneiderlin (0.047 gpg), Cork (0.0 gpg) or even Banega (0.053 gpg) and Ramirez (0.2gpg). Thats roughly an average of 1 goal every 2 matches between all five of them. Should be a cracking goal fest huh?

Edited by buctootim

Midfield / CM would not have been my priorities but as he seems to do transfer windows better than any one else hopefully right plan

Midfield / CM would not have been my priorities but as he seems to do transfer windows better than any one else hopefully right plan

But he doesn't does he? Everyone knew last close season we needed 1 or two experienced goalies and 2 quality CBs. Instead we got Ramirez and Mayuka for £17m, a lg2 rookie for £2m and Forren as a £4m panic buy. We were lucky Boruc was a free agent after the horror show start wake up call, otherwise we'd have been stuffed.

Edited by buctootim

Conceding no goals in a game averaged teams 2.5 points per game over the past 10 EPL seasons, scoring 2 was worth less than that over the same period. I would be happy with Spain style 1-0 wins where the opposition did not gain much possession.

Ole!

Conceding no goals in a game averaged teams 2.5 points per game over the past 10 EPL seasons, scoring 2 was worth less than that over the same period. I would be happy with Spain style 1-0 wins where the opposition did not gain much possession.

It depends what kind of game you enjoy. I know some people like very tactical defensive football, a lot of people don't. People like the Italians where attendances have dropped off a cliff since the late 1980s, stadia are less than half full. La Liga is in a similar situation. I'd rather watch end to end stuff than a chess game.

What years are you talking about? We added 2 midfielders to the team last year (Davis, Ramirez), two attackers (J-Rod, Mayuka), three defenders (Maya, Clyne, Forren), and two goalkeepers (Boruc, Gaz). Arguably J-Rod or Ramirez could be classed as either midfielder or a forward, depending on where utilized, but I don't see that as disproportionate.

We signed De Ridder and Cork in the Championship year (having lost Chamberlain) but pretty much same midfield remained from L1 - Morgan, Adam, Chappers, Hammond. Again, not really sign of an 'obsession'.

But he doesn't does he? Everyone knew last close season we needed 1 or two experienced goalies and 2 quality CBs. Instead we got Ramirez and Mayuka for £17m, a lg2 rookie for £2m and Forren as a £4m panic buy. We were lucky Boruc was a free agent after the horror show start wake up call, otherwise we'd have been stuffed.

Its not about names or rumours or judging on each player.

Its what club needs to go forward.

Also accepting every single club signs some who don't make impact.

If you look at the step forward we have made, between each window, he has got it right.

Of course could have done little better but that's pretty harsh!

What years are you talking about? We added 2 midfielders to the team last year (Davis, Ramirez), two attackers (J-Rod, Mayuka), three defenders (Maya, Clyne, Forren), and two goalkeepers (Boruc, Gaz). Arguably J-Rod or Ramirez could be classed as either midfielder or a forward, depending on where utilized, but I don't see that as disproportionate.

We signed De Ridder and Cork in the Championship year (having lost Chamberlain) but pretty much same midfield remained from L1 - Morgan, Adam, Chappers, Hammond. Again, not really sign of an 'obsession'.

Im talking more about the curious trait of not strengthening in the areas where we are weak but instead spending big money where we are already strong - and then making panic buys when the results are clear. Maya was added on Aug 30th in panic after a disastrous pre season and early games when it had been abundantly clear to everybody Fonte and Hooiveld backed up Aaron Martin wouldn't be enough in the PL. Boruc signed in similar circumstances in late September when it transpired having KD backed up by a lg2 rookie wasnt a great idea after all.

Im talking more about the curious trait of not strengthening in the areas where we are weak but instead spending big money where we are already strong - and then making panic buys when the results are clear. Maya was added on Aug 30th in panic after a disastrous pre season and early games when it had been abundantly clear to everybody Fonte and Hooiveld backed up Aaron Martin wouldn't be enough in the PL. Boruc signed in similar circumstances in late September when it transpired having KD backed up by a lg2 rookie wasnt a great idea after all.

Despite the fact that Martin had been loaned out to C.Palace 2 weeks before our season started.

We got it wrong last time. i agree with buctootim.

But I think that NC in particular would want to learn from that mistake/ misjudgement.

And that's why we have Lovren in early plus big vic, shaw and boruc signed up etc. Our defensive team is stronger than last year. I would like an extra fb but am guessing we have cover in the squad plus that's what the academy is for in part right? I'm not certain there's any need to get aggrieved if our next buy is, say Banega. He would in all probability be an upgrade on AL SD and JP if I'm being brutally honest, he's a current Argentinian international FFS!

Elsewhre I think it's abundantly clear saints are looking to strengthen our attacking options. That we have not got that resolved is no surprise though- the kind of high level player we are now looking at will be part of a complex interconnected web of other transfers and alternate scenarios. Only Monaco bought early with Falcao, only 12 hours ago Cavani completed, only a few hours later we hear Rooney is to go, hulk is apparently available in the last few hours also. If we wanted an off the shelf striker we would have had three by now of the common garden variety.

The likes of Osvaldo and Damiao are the level below these names as well as others like Negredo soldado and higuain. With those resolved our turn will come.

We would not be getting associated with Catania strikers for example if we did not have a plan b, or c, and were unaware that we needed striking reinforcement. That's why the names are leaking out of these others ( plus it shows we have options) .

We will get a striker. Just hope it's a good one of first or second choice, not 5th or 6th choice.