Éver Banega

Glasgow_Saint

Doesn't sound good:

The Argentina international, who has been no stranger to controversy since arriving at Mestalla, believes los Che have a squad capable of lifting a trophy

Ever Banega has expressed his desire to repay all of the support Valencia have shown in him by helping them win a title this season.

The Argentine has suffered with injury problems during his time at Mestalla - including an ankle problem after being run over by his own car - but he is determined to bring los Che the success he feels the club deserves.

“I am grateful that I have had so much affection, so many chances and it is time to return it in style on the pitch,” Banega told VCFPlay, his club's official TV channel.

“I am proud to be a part of Valencia. I have spent a while here, I know the place very well and it really leaves a mark on you.

“There’s a style, it marks you for life. You become one of them.

“I face this season with the same enthusiasm and ambition as previous ones. I am proud to be one of the oldest here at 25.

“With the squad that we have here, we deserve to win a title.”

Banega, who has been capped 19 times by his country, joined Valencia from Boca Juniors in 2008 for a reported fee of €20 million Bloody hell !!

Didn't sound good when it was posted three days ago either : http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?45336-%C9ver-Banega&p=1739260#post1739260, leading to this thread going spectacularly off topic in the way only a doomed un-signing thread can.

I come on this thread as there has been a bit of action on it, assuming there will be some update about us signing a player. Instead it is the usual suspects sucking eachother off again. Are there mods on this forearm anymore or are they still counting the fivers?

As it happens, the mods do this for free and have day jobs!

Please try to stay on topic everyone.

This is news, but not news on his transfer, please stay on topic if you want to start a thread on your favourite names can I suggest the lounge.

Dang, I'm getting closer. I believe Pochettino has said he's interested in signing Ever.

There, it may be old news but it's on topic. ;-)

5/6 that he'll join us? That's very... very encouraging!

Hoping that the bookies do have a little insider info.

Probably the total opposiite....that they are pretty certain he wont be going anywhere and any bets are free money for them!!

Probably the total opposiite....that they are pretty certain he wont be going anywhere and any bets are free money for them!!

Well, I would read that more of offsetting any risk.... betting money on him joining us will not pay off. Covers Skybet's backsides.

If he does join Saints i have a feeling it will be to replace Gaston Ramirez. They're not quite the same type of player but Banega would probably fit better with the. 4-3-3 pressing style of football we seem to be looking to play.

Unfortunately in this system both Lambert and Gastom seem to be the odd ones out.

Watching the last 2 friendlies we do lack creativity and someone to create chances in the final 3rd. This should be our no.1 target imo

And yet you think Lallana who should be one of our main creative players is good enough?

Watching the last 2 friendlies we do lack creativity and someone to create chances in the final 3rd. This should be our no.1 target imo

Agreed, especially if Gaston isn't going to be match-fit for the start of the season.

As a side-issue, I'm not sure why we only seem only to be able to complete one transfer at a time with the report suggesting that the Banega deal was put on the back-burner because of finalizing Wanyama's transfer.

Not suggesting at all that we emulate Sunderland and bring in any old dross to the club, but their transfer activity does suggest that they have multiple persons working on multiple deals - or at least, an ability to juggle multiple transfers at once.

No surprise that our own transfer activity has been so slow of late with Cortese recovering from his broken leg, but it does beg the question whether he needs anyone brought in to help with the transfer negotiations. Can anyone shed any light on Les Reed's role here?

Edited by Toon Saint

Gaston has 3 weeks before season starts. He will be ready.

I do love it how all of a sudden ramirez is not going to be fit.

Alex Crook said on twitter that Poch is concerned about whether Yoshida and Ramirez will be match-fit for the first game of the season.

Not always been the most reliable source, granted. But he was over in Austria at the training camp, interviewing players and manager.

I'm pretty certain it's not something he would make up.

EDIT:

Alex Goring Crook‏@alex_crook20h

Ramirez and Yoshida again absent from #saintsfc line-up. Poch told me yesterday he feared they may not be match fit by start of season.

Edited by Toon Saint

Alex Crook said on twitter that Poch is concerned about whether Yoshida and Ramirez will be match-fit for the first game of the season.

Not always been the most reliable source, granted. But he was over in Austria at the training camp, interviewing players and manager.

I do find it odd that Yoshi hasn't had a run out yet. Granted he's a bit behind the others, but surely not to the point where he can't even make the bench for a friendly?

EDIT:

Alex Goring Crook‏@alex_crook20h

Ramirez and Yoshida again absent from #saintsfc line-up. Poch told me yesterday he feared they may not be match fit by start of season.

the truth of the crook

I do find it odd that Yoshi hasn't had a run out yet. Granted he's a bit behind the others, but surely not to the point where he can't even make the bench for a friendly?

Careful you will be told you are wrong by the residents as professional footballers cannot get fit in that timeframe after having an extra weeks holiday.

No surprise that our own transfer activity has been so slow of late with Cortese recovering from his broken leg

Ladies and gents, sorry to be the bearer of bad news but just pulled this interview from a Spanish website. Banega appears to be happy at Valencia and relishing the start of the new season.

http://deportes.terra.com.mx/futbol/...medium=twitter

The British press always speak of these "reports in Spain" and then the Spanish press about "reports in England".

Not sure there are many reports and it seems to have gone very quiet on this.

Just wonder whether the truth is that we just enquired, and were put off by the actual asking price. (Not the 9 million, mentioned by the press)

Valencia fans are saying the Soldado deal will cover their debts for this season, and his replacement is apparently Postiga who won't cost much at all. Valencia are still trying to trim the squad though, so I would still expect to see lots of movement from them in the transfer market.

Their fans have reacted to the news that we may bid again with a little bemusement and shock. They feel he is their best player, worth more than €20m, and there would be lots of fan backlash if he went. However, they also feel that if Saints doubled his salary he'd be off and Valencia would just need to get as much as they can for him in that instance. I have no idea how much Banega earns and speculative efforts on the internet suggest a range of figures, however it is fair to say that Valencia don't pay players low wages. On that assumption I don't think we'd be doubling his wages, and if we were going to spend lots of money on another player it should really ought to be a striker.

• 1 month later...
Not been given a kick by Swansea so far. Outside of Real Madrid and Barcelona Spanish football is pretty average.

I am not sure I agree with that. Also I have to say Swansea are a very Spanish team and they are incredibly decent.

On tonight's performance I am glad we missed out on Banega, he is pretty average and I cannot understand what all the fuss was about. Oh I remember a collection of 5 or 6 You Tube clips doh! :rolleyes::lol:

He hardly had a kick - but you would have been looking to him to get on the ball and play.

He probably wishes he'd forced a move away - Valencia looked absolutely awful tonight. Bizarre in the second half when half the fans behind the goal just left the stand and went and stood in the concourse for 15 minutes. They're on the road to nowhere at the moment, financially and on the pitch.

Swansea showed what they are all about though - if they get in front they can pass you to death, especially when you're down to ten men.