Sorry to say it...

Unbelievable Jeff

...but those who ever thought we were going to put out a strong side tonight are frankly idiots. What I think people need to realise is that the club is not really interested in small fry like the Carling Cup. I suspect we will see similar if we were able to qualify for the Europa League this season (through league performance of course). The money isn't available in these competitions vs the risk to the first team that plays in the Premiership every week. Look at Swansea's performance after playing in the Cup this year.

This is what the club is now, for better or for worse. Personally I would like to see us win something, but at the same time I can completely see why the decision to play youngsters in this tournament was made.

Yep. Anyway it'd be wrong to give the youngsters and fringe players the chance until you face a tricky game, then let the first team take over. If we'd won tonight, I'm sure we'd have put out a similar XI against Chelsea anyway and got battered. It's good experience for some of the younger lads, and positives to take from it. Another 2 debuts, and they were saying on 5live that Harrison Reed had a very solid game and looks mature beyond his years.

First post I've seen that's spot on. This is a poor competition with tiny crowds whose rules need changed

It's a chance for younger and squad players to get a game and Poch will have learned a lot about players like Lee, Ramirez, Reed etc tonight

Add in to that the fact that the top clubs will put out strong sides as their managers are under pressure to win things and there's no guarantee we go much further anyway

Ha ha, do the people appauding the decision to throw away a chance to win the Cup honestly and I mean honestly believe we are going to qualify for the Champions League?

Do you genuinely believe that? If you do you are very very much mistaken.

Silverware over 7th in the premiership, I am jealous of Swansea and all recent smaller clubs who have won silverware, there are few clubs of our size who have won as little as we have in the last 50 years, go on have a think.

First post I've seen that's spot on. This is a poor competition with tiny crowds whose rules need changed

It's a chance for younger and squad players to get a game and Poch will have learned a lot about players like Lee, Ramirez, Reed etc tonight

Add in to that the fact that the top clubs will put out strong sides as their managers are under pressure to win things and there's no guarantee we go much further anyway

Didn't we beat Chelsea at home last season?

...but those who ever thought we were going to put out a strong side tonight are frankly idiots. What I think people need to realise is that the club is not really interested in small fry like the Carling Cup. I suspect we will see similar if we were able to qualify for the Europa League this season (through league performance of course). The money isn't available in these competitions vs the risk to the first team that plays in the Premiership every week. Look at Swansea's performance after playing in the Cup this year.

This is what the club is now, for better or for worse. Personally I would like to see us win something, but at the same time I can completely see why the decision to play youngsters in this tournament was made.

Hilarious.

Yep, a club that has won jack diddly sh it for thirty years is all of a sudden a collosus of European football. Yeah, you're definitely not the idiot.

The League cup is not beneath recent winners like Chelsea, Spurs Liverpool and Man United but they are obviously small fry compared to us.

Edited by CB Fry

Ha ha, do the people appauding the decision to throw away a chance to win the Cup honestly and I mean honestly believe we are going to qualify for the Champions League?

Silverware over 7th in the premiership, I am jealous of Swansea and all recent smaller clubs who have won silverware, there are few clubs of our size who have won as little as we have in the last 50 years, go on have a think.

Who said we were going to qualify for the Champions League? Megaspastic and his inability to read strikes again.

Hilarious.

Yep, a club that has won jack diddly sh it for thirty years is all of a sudden a collosus of European football. Yeah, you're definitely not the idiot.

The League cup is not beneath recent winners like Chelsea, Spurs Liverpool and Man United but they are obviously small fry compared to us.

I think the evidence of how we judge this competition was shown last night, whether right or wrong, so I would say you're the idiot if you're too stupid to recognise that.

Spot on

Ha ha, do the people appauding the decision to throw away a remote chance to win the Cup honestly and I mean honestly believe we are going to qualify for the Champions League?

There - fixed it for you

Hilarious.

Precisely, let's be honest we are not a big club with a squad rotation system are we? In my humble view there's very little chance of top 4 or top 6 for that matter with the squad we have so why throw away a chance to play a quarter final tie with Chelsea? Especially when we play the mighty Hull at hoe and then there's an international break - bloody ridiculous!

Reckon you are spot on, and it is beyond dispute.

BUT

Last night did reveal our squad is wafer-thin.

We need another GK, CB, LB and more attacking options than we already have. We should also pay more attention to keeping Cork happy, maybe rotate the central midfield a bit.

Thought you wouldn't have an answer for what is a fact. You're not the best debater are you?

What facts? Ranting at fictional people on the forum who thought we would put out a strong side as idiots? Who was that then? I think pretty much everyone knew we wouldn't bother.

So pray tell us some sparkling facts small fry.

BUT

We need another GK, CB, LB and more attacking options than we already have

Apparently it isn't beyond dispute looking at the above.

Don't disagree with that, but that is probably the only difference between us being Top 6 and Top 10.

He used to post as Dibden Purlieu Saint but was banned.

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/member.php?3268-Dibden-Purlieu-Saint

Ahaha, looking at his posts it looks like you two really didn't get on. Is this why you've been following me around trying to trip me up since I joined?

:lol::lol::lol:

Edited by Unbelievable Jeff

Hilarious.

I think it is because the teams you list are not small fry and therefore able to put out strong teams from their second string that they have succeeded both in the cup and the league. While I like to think most of our reserves can step up when required on an individual basis, I don't think playing them all together is a match for the second strings of the truly big clubs. We clearly are striving to be a bigger club than we are. How far that can be achieved is a matter of debate but clearly Cortese is targeting as high a league finish as possible this year and probably an even higher place next year. Putting out our first team in a competition we are frankly unlikely to win - given the continued presence of most of the big teams you listed - is a distraction.

The other argument is that the manager can have a look at players who are currently not first choice in a competitive match and give them match practice so that they are ready to step up when needed. The young players who are now regular members of the first team got there partly by showing their potential in cup competitions before they were risked in the league.

Yes, it would have been nice to have progressed a bit further, maybe even all the way given a following wind. But, if we're realistic, we do not have the strength in depth yet to make a serious challenge in more than one competition. But we are building to be able to do that in future.

BUT

We need another GK, CB, LB and more attacking options than we already have. We should also pay more attention to keeping Cork happy, maybe rotate the central midfield a bit.

I like the idea of keeping everyone happy, but changing in cork for the sake of it when what is there is doing a great job, seems silly. If we need to chance, injury suspension or form then yes, but not for the sake of it. We don't desperately need a lb, short term clyne moves over.

Hilarious.

Exactly, and if Chelsea, Spurs, Liverpool and Man United we're not in European competition they would take the League Cup even more seriously. The reason they put out their reserves is because they have untold European games as well, not because they can't be arsed to win it.

Exactly, and if Chelsea, Spurs, Liverpool and Man United we're not in European competition they would take the League Cup even more seriously. The reason they put out their reserves is because they have untold European games as well, not because they can't be arsed to win it.
they can't be arsed to win it.if they did nobody would get a look in. Fact is that the cup is great if you get an easy ride but we will see how the extra game effects our performance against Hull. We have just about a decent 11, we do not yet have a strong enough squad

The club which incs players, staff and owners believe in "the plan" so why dont some of the fans?

The top players have all committed to the club because of the ambition and the objective of getting into the Champions League, there is no doubt about that.

Until we are established as a top 6 team we will always struggle to compete on all counts. Once established we then become more of an attraction therefore we can strengthen our squad with the required quality to be competitive in both league and cups.

I am 100% behind the club and their objectives/strategy. No reason to doubt there motives given the successes of the last few years

Some of you lot need to get real and get with the times

What last night showed was we do not have strength in depth, i'd argue strongly our second string is not as good as many others, esp defensively

Therefore if we get injuries we are going to struggle (anyone who saw Fox at SMS vs Swansea as I did would testify). We have a very good 1st 13 or 14 but after that were down to academy players. Add to that we play a pressing style of football thats taxing on the players. So why take a load of them up to Sunderland, a few days after another long trip to Stoke in a competition that we likely wont win anyway given i've no doubt teams like Chelsea, ManU etc will take it seriously as their managers can claim silverware = good or better season

Personally im absolutely thrilled with the way were playing in the EPL this season as all Saints fans should be, why not let that continue to see how far we can get with the players we have got, whilst continuing to develop and play some youngsters. I think a bit of realism is needed to remember who we are and where we sit in the scheme of things - and then to sit back and enjoy what you are seeing right now without constantly complaining. Fair enough crticise players like GR, Fox etc, i do that as well and it's justified, but its all the time with some of you, on every single thread. Its so f**ing tiresome

What last night showed was we do not have strength in depth, i'd argue strongly our second string is not as good as many others, esp defensively

Therefore if we get injuries we are going to struggle (anyone who saw Fox at SMS vs Swansea as I did would testify). We have a very good 1st 13 or 14 but after that were down to academy players. Add to that we play a pressing style of football thats taxing on the players. So why take a load of them up to Sunderland, a few days after another long trip to Stoke in a competition that we likely wont win anyway given i've no doubt teams like Chelsea, ManU etc will take it seriously as their managers can claim silverware = good or better season

Personally im absolutely thrilled with the way were playing in the EPL this season as all Saints fans should be, why not let that continue to see how far we can get with the players we have got, whilst continuing to develop and play some youngsters. I think a bit of realism is needed to remember who we are and where we sit in the scheme of things - and then to sit back and enjoy what you are seeing right now without constantly complaining. Fair enough crticise players like GR, Fox etc, i do that as well and it's justified, but its all the time with some of you, on every single thread. Its so f**ing tiresome

I detest comments like this. Luckily, I think NC does too.

You stay classy Jeff.
his OP is valid, he got the usual sneers from certain posters who only ever see one side of a point. As he has only been on here from Jan he may get riled and snap back. I don't blame him the trolls don't like someone else taking their territory

Hopefully he learnt that Ramirez is a lightweight lazy player that has skill but rarely uses it and isn't a player that belongs in the premiership at least not at saints

I detest comments like this. Luckily, I think NC does too.

Hang on , didnt you just agree with this in post #20? Where we sit is not being a large enough club to have a big enough squad to allow us to field a better second string than we did last night. NC's vision is not to spend on a lot on squad players, its to build through quality additions and youth

Liverpool aren't in Europe this year. Spurs play a second team in the Europa League...

Hilarious.

The difference with those teams is that their squad had much better depth. I think that they also fielded "weakened" sides as well.

Hang on , didnt you just agree with this in post #20? Where we sit is not being a large enough club to have a big enough squad to allow us to field a better second string than we did last night. NC's vision is not to spend on a lot on squad players, its to build through quality additions and youth

Didnt mean it like that, but understand your interpretation. We have a limited squad, and its been kept for the League because NC is ambitious.

I am guessing he will be massively disappointed in certain players from last night, and that we cannot fight on more than one front.

Saints want to win every competition they enter. However, there must be some balance. We have many squad players that need to get some competitive football in match conditions so that if they are called upon when unfortunate injuries occur they will at least be up to some speed.

Likewise it is a chance to give some of the promising youngsters a chance to see what is required to step up to the next level and a chance for the Management to gauge there effectiveness and promise.

Be clear, this is likely to happen in the FA cup as well. It is what comes from trying to seek success in the Premier League. That is our priority.

Didnt mean it like that, but understand your interpretation. We have a limited squad, and its been kept for the League because NC is ambitious.

I am guessing he will be massively disappointed in certain players from last night, and that we cannot fight on more than one front.

At least Ramirez proved he deserves another chance.

Don't have a problem with Saints fielding a reserve team for a game... just as long as they charge reserve team prices.

When people travel 600 miles round trip for evening game, well.. they deserve a bit of respect...

But isn't it Sunderland who set the prices? Previous rounds on the competition did make this scenario obvious. However, it is a shame for those who made the trip, I do agree.

But isn't it Sunderland who set the prices? Previous rounds on the competition did make this scenario obvious. However, it is a shame for those who made the trip, I do agree.

But the club can reduce travel or make some sort of offer for those people who made the trip? If I was the club I'd give those fans a voucher for use sometime this season in recognition of the fact they travelled so far to see a reserve team...