Sorry to say it...

Unbelievable Jeff

It just goes to show how dependant we are on the starting eleven for having a good go at the league, injuries will hit us and we'll tumble down the league.

Nice to see Reed have a decent game at least and we desperately need more younsters coming through to be of a higher standard than fox, jos and company or spend more money on better players for a real go at the league or cup if euro qualification is wanted.

It just goes to show how dependant we are on the starting eleven for having a good go at the league, injuries will hit us and we'll tumble down the league.

Nice to see Reed have a decent game at least and we desperately need more younsters coming through to be of a higher standard than fox, jos and company or spend more money on better players for a real go at the league or cup if euro qualification is wanted.

I think we could deal with one or two injuries, but not 10 changes, too much in one go.

We seem to have just missed out about 5 years. We've gone from premier league survivors last year, to not giving a cr*p about the League Cup or Europa League (even though we haven't actually qualified for that yet, wouldn't it be funny if we finished lower than a competition we didn't even care about!) and concentrating on a Champions League place!

When we have won the League Cup enough times to not give a **** about it (see Arsenal, Chelsea, Man Utd), and qualified for the Champions League so many years in a row we don't care about the Europa League (see same names as above) then maybe all those thinking we are above them will be correct.

We seem to have just missed out about 5 years. We've gone from premier league survivors last year, to not giving a cr*p about the League Cup or Europa League (even though we haven't actually qualified for that yet, wouldn't it be funny if we finished lower than a competition we didn't even care about!) and concentrating on a Champions League place!

When we have won the League Cup enough times to not give a **** about it (see Arsenal, Chelsea, Man Utd), and qualified for the Champions League so many years in a row we don't care about the Europa League (see same names as above) then maybe all those thinking we are above them will be correct.

Good post. For a team whose only silverware in 35 years in the Johnstones Paint trophy we have some arrogant fans.

The club which incs players, staff and owners believe in "the plan" so why dont some of the fans?

The top players have all committed to the club because of the ambition and the objective of getting into the Champions League, there is no doubt about that.

Until we are established as a top 6 team we will always struggle to compete on all counts. Once established we then become more of an attraction therefore we can strengthen our squad with the required quality to be competitive in both league and cups.

I am 100% behind the club and their objectives/strategy. No reason to doubt there motives given the successes of the last few years

Some of you lot need to get real and get with the times

totally this, we need to spend the next few years getting to, and staying at the level around the top EIGHT first. then as time goes on moving up from there, atracting the players we need. no good just boom and bust. enjoy where we are, but please be patient, we will get there!

I didn't join until August, but I started to read the forum in January after Adkins was sacked - I was sick of not606 so went searching for a proper Saints forum.

can eveyone not just stop the personal bickering and point scoring, it really is tedious and sad when you have to read all this s**t when there is no need. start another topic somewhere else, along the lines of, who you think i am, why you don't like me, why you can't just feck away off and leave us all alone?

please.

totally this, we need to spend the next few years getting to, and staying at the level around the top EIGHT first. then as time goes on moving up from there, atracting the players we need. no good just boom and bust. enjoy where we are, but please be patient, we will get there!

The problem is too many of our fans think we are big time already. Comments prematch were hilarious about how our second string should still comfortably beat Sunderland.

top post. sums up my thoughts exactly.

Good post. For a team whose only silverware in 35 years in the Johnstones Paint trophy we have some arrogant fans.

We've also got rather a lot who place more stock in finishing in 6th place in the league rather than winning a major trophy (and while the League Cup has been devalued over the years it is still a major trophy).

I think we could deal with one or two injuries, but not 10 changes, too much in one go.

Depends who, there are some players who i would regard as essential so it's not clear cut. In the future - two or three seasons it shouldn't be so bad - the dependency shouldn't impact so much as player standards rise and the reserve (younger) players would have got use to the style of play.

Well said. One of the funniest comments I've read on here in the last couple of days was something like 'it's the champions league or nothing'. This from a club with one trophy to our name in 128 years. You can bet your life that if we did reach a cup final the champions league or nothing brigade will be the first ones whinging if they can't get a ticket to see a cup final they don't give a toss about.

This idea that we have suddenly stopped caring about the cups is nonsense. We were putting out weaker teams in cups even when were in our 2nd season in League 1.

It's a shame, as yeah I'd love a day out at Wembley. But, this is basically what this cup has become. Even Chelsea put out a weakened team against Arsenal (granted that is a ridiculously strong team still).

There has to be a chance for the nippers and 2nd stringers to get some game time. Better here than in a game deemed more important (i.e. League or FA Cup).

I don't think this necessarily demonstrates the squad is as wafer thin as people are claiming. Yeah, in some positions we will clearly be weaker, but barring some truly bonkers occurance - we are never going to need to make 10 ten changes to the first team for a game we are more bothered about winning.

I do really hope we have a better go at the FA Cup though.

The annoying thing was Sunderland were completely there for the taking, a couple more first teamers involved and we'd have turned them over. Who wants to win a trophy anyway?

Surprisingly top night out in Sunderland made the trip worthwhile.

Sunderland will be relegated this season, such a poor team.

The League Cup has become a pointless joke of a competition as nearly every team just play their reserves in it now, and the FA Cup is rapidly heading the same way. I find it very hard to get excited by these games, and tbh couldn't give a toss that we went out last night. Even in the very unlikely event that we did win it, it would feel hollow.

I am pleased that we go into a far more important game on Saturday with a mostly fresh squad, who haven't just played a game 300 miles up the country just two and a half days before. All I care about is finishing as high up the league as we possibly can. Sorry if that upsets anyone, but it's how I feel, and clearly the club agree.

As a side note, huge respect to those fans who travelled up last night, but I'm sure they knew what kind of team we would be fielding.

Knocked out of a cup we had a chance of winning to concentrate on a league we have no chance of winning.

We haven't won anything for nearly 50 years? Now we think we are to big for the league cup, Saints fans need to realise we very much aren't. In 40 years time people will forgot who qualified for the champions league but if we had won the league cup that would be with us forever.

Ha ha, do the people appauding the decision to throw away a chance to win the Cup honestly and I mean honestly believe we are going to qualify for the Champions League?

Do you genuinely believe that? If you do you are very very much mistaken.

Silverware over 7th in the premiership, I am jealous of Swansea and all recent smaller clubs who have won silverware, there are few clubs of our size who have won as little as we have in the last 50 years, go on have a think.

I actually agree. Also Wigan might have gone down, but what about all those good Championship players they need to go back up? Hasn't Europa League football helped towards a favorable decision?? What about some who have stayed, maybe it also helped them?

Truth is everyone will forget the odd win against someone in the league. It's 38 matches! But a cup final, as proven by our 2003 nostalgia, is remembered for a long time. And so is a European run, as short as it may be.

This

Last season West Ham had 18 odd points at this stage of the season, by March they had 30 and were hovering above relegation

We lose 3 or 4 players, get a drop in form, bad luck etc and that could just as well be us, so why not protect the players from a long midweek trip in a mickey mouse competition

As a team were on the rise and we'd all love the vision/project to be a success but it's long term and all clubs outside the big 6 or 7 are looking at survival first and foremost every season

I'm not sure which it is - either the club decided the League Cup is not worth winning, and therefore a team of reserves and youngsters was put out, or they genuinely thought our "B" team was good enough to get through. I think the management's comments after the game showed it was the former.

It is a shame we're out, our day out in 2010 at Wembley was something I'll never forget, irrespective of the status of the trophy we won. Seeing how much smaller clubs' fans like Swansea and Wigan were celebrating showed that all cup competitions have their merits. However we're out, and there's not much we can do to change it. I would hazard a guess that a similar team would have been put out against Chelsea anyway, and we'd probably have gone out then. The only thing it's robbed me of is the chance for another trip to St Mary's in December. We can hope that Pochettino learns from his first League cup experience and sets us up more strongly next season (if he's still around then.)

It's the FA Cup I'm most looking forward to, the prestige cup where most clubs put out their first team. I truly believe we can do well in that this season, our first team can beat any other first team of the 91 when they're on song.

I'm not sure which it is - either the club decided the League Cup is not worth winning, and therefore a team of reserves and youngsters was put out, or they genuinely thought our "B" team was good enough to get through. I think the management's comments after the game showed it was the former.

Not sure about that -

"We are a little bit disappointed to be out of the cup because it was an important competition for us to provide minutes for our squad and for our youngsters who, as you know, we like to use.

We have a squad and we need to use all the players and give minutes in this type of game because the season is so long.

In the next couple of months, we have a very tough period of games and we need everyone in the best form because sure, it will be important for the rest of the season."

Yes it would be nice to win the cup, but to be frank, the league is by far and away more important. I don't mean knocking on the door of the champions league berths, I mean getting to the first mile stone ie 42 points. Once we have got there, then we can start looking upward. We have a tough run of games coming up. Saturday is a must win because our chances of picking up points over the next few weeks get a good deal slimmer. Therefore playing the reserves to avoid injury or suspension for Saturday seems to be a fair call.

On a side note, given that all teams are playing reserves in the league cup - has it really got a long term future?.

We'd have had to beat three of the "big 5" to win the League Cup. If we're confident of beating them in the cup why not in the league too?
Not necessarily, always room for upsets/favourable draw.

For those that say the league is the be all and end all, what would you say if we played a weakened side in the 1/4 of the FA Cup?

It kind of is. Very little bleating before the game, loads after as idiot wasn't what they expected.

How can you bleat beforehand if you don't know something is going to happen? Im not that bothered about the League Cup, but the team put out was a second team with some youngsters. A we could have used a better mix imo.

How can you bleat beforehand if you don't know something is going to happen? Im not that bothered about the League Cup, but the team put out was a second team with some youngsters. A we could have used a better mix imo.

But people saw the lineup beforehand, and all our other games this season has been a weaker team, yet no real complaints until we lose.