Arsenal vs SOUTHAMPTON Build up thread

Saint Garrett

This had a thread a while back. Most people felt Boruc, but a few of us said Lovren and were abused for it.

Suppose we'll find out who was right today..

It's certainly quite a step down from Boruc to Davis but it becomes less of an issue if we're tight and well-organized at the back, with help from Schneiderlin and Wanyama.

If we lose Lovren or Shaw it doesn't just impair our defensive ability but also compromises our ability to play higher up.

That's why I wouldn't put Boruc in my top three, even though Davis is a major downgrade.

I certainly haven't given up hope of a result but - like most - I'm less optimistic than I was.

Let's hope MP has been able to drill into Jos that he must be brave enough to hold a high line with the rest of the back four because that is his big weakness. He is always prone to drop back towards his goalkeeper as a sort of comfort. This gives opponents the space they crave and also is the reason Jos is prone to own goals - he gets too close to the keeper, sticks out a long leg to block and the ball can hit him and be in before gk can react.