Arsenal vs SOUTHAMPTON Build up thread

Saint Garrett

Doesn't say a lot for the fans on here if you think one team change dictates the result of a football match.. its a squad game, get over it.

The drop in quality from Lovren to Hooiveld is bigger than most changes we can make (Shaw and Boruc the other big ones). For example you'd be less worried if Lambert had to be replaced by Osvaldo.

I'm not saying we can't get a result today, but it has now become a lot more difficult after our ever present centre back partnership has just been split up.

I admit some of the responses are over the top but you're an idiot if you think this doesn't make us significantly weaker.

It could make us significantly weaker. Lovren's biggest contribution has been as the leader of an exceptionally well drilled and dedicated unit. Hooiveld may lack the individual ability but if the team retains its confidence and organisation we may not see too big a drop.

well, highlights the need for a big squad.

having the likes of osvaldo help the other end (although, you would not think it on here)

Yup. Unfortunately he keeps the back four organised and if there's one team you need an organised back four against, it's Arsenal. Need a big game from Big Vic, especially with no Cork.

3:15 KK now.

Doesn't say a lot for the fans on here if you think one team change dictates the result of a football match.. its a squad game, get over it.

Unfortunately it probably will dictate it. This one change is a pretty clear example of why we're not quite in the same bracket as the current top 6, we don't have the depth. Starting 11 - brilliant. But if we start losing members of that 11, which will happen over the season, we don't have real quality to step in. I'm not saying we need equals on the bench, but if we're honest -as good a bloke as he is - Jos is not a PL footballer, so it's not ideal that we're having to rely on him.

I hope he goes out there, scores a goal and proves me wrong, but I just get the feeling that Arsenals attack will run rings around him.

It could make us significantly weaker. Lovren's biggest contribution has been as the leader of an exceptionally well drilled and dedicated unit. Hooiveld may lack the individual ability but if the team retains its confidence and organisation we may not see too big a drop.

You're right. I think the team as a whole will be organised but the back four have lost their leader. Hopefully someone else steps up to the plate.

3-3 Sturridge.

I admit some of the responses are over the top but you're an idiot if you think this doesn't make us significantly weaker.

No need for personal insults... there have been many posts thinking we can make top four this season.. I guess its on the proviso that we have NO injuries whatsoever... yes, we will miss Lovren but MP is clear that we do not need to bolster in january so he must think Hoovield can do a job.. and I tend to lean towards him in terms of football nous than you.

The fellow on Saints Player says Saints will go top, if we win today. Well, not necessarily. There's this thing called goal difference. We need to win by three, I believe, to sit there. If we win by two, it will be co-leaders - but they'll put Arsenal first because of alphabetical order.

Nope, win by 2 goals and we are top. Don't forget Arsenal will lose 2 goal difference as well, so we'll be 2 ahead of them.

The fellow on Saints Player says Saints will go top, if we win today. Well, not necessarily. There's this thing called goal difference. We need to win by three, I believe, to sit there. If we win by two, it will be co-leaders - but they'll put Arsenal first because of alphabetical order.

Our goals will reduce Arsenal's goal difference.

Edited by Jimmy_D
Ninja'd by Saint_clark!

Two is enough-remember Arsenal's GD will go down as well as ours going up. If we win by 2, there'll be a +4 differential.

We are playing Arsenal - if we win by 2, not only our GD improves by two, theirs gets 2 worse!

No lovren equals no win
)

Strange how we won a few games last season. I know Lovren is good, but missing for one game due to illness and everyone goes into melt down. More amazed at the lack of depth on the bench. Gazza as GK (thought that might happen, didn't see Davis in training), no Cork, Guly (as we knew), Gaston or Lee (as we might have guessed), only true first teamers on the bench are Ossie, Maya and Steve Davis (no disrespect to Chambers).

Still hopeful we might get something, a win was never really a realistic option anyway.

I've not seen this much bed wetting since I last visited a maternity ward. You will be rightly ridiculed by the gooners when they see it. Ironically one of the more reasonable contributions come from alpine saint (no offence intended alps)

At that point, he didn't know lovren was out.

What a great game at Goodison. Martinez and Rodgers are class managers and so are the teams they are building.

Hooiveld?!?! Arsenal play the ball on the ground, what is going on with Yoshida that he can't even make the bench most of the times? Clearly the best pairing to Fonte last season and would've seemed to me as the natural substitute of Lovren/Jose.

Also I swear Lovren was all cheerful on twitter this morning, has someone poisoned his food??.

Hopefully Tino's know-how has made our CB pairing changes unnoticeable. Not the game for these changes to happen but our tactics have reduced CB exposure so much that the organization of the team should really not suffer.

Edited by melmacian_saint

Well, one way to look at it is that we have an excuse now for losing.

Hopefully the penny drops for NC and MoPo today that we need another CB and that Hooiveld and Yoshida dont fit that description.

Surely the "hopefully" should be that Hooiveld has shown as much improvement as Fonte since Lovren came in and keeps a clean sheet for us?

I just hope Jos does not read the forum posts.. we are not 3rd because Lovren has played every game, its our high pressing style and this could come undone against Arsenal anyway.. I'm still optimistic of a point.

I think all people are highlighting is that if you asked Saints fans which player they would least like to not play vs the top of the table team, the majority (probably) would choose Lovren.