Arsenal vs SOUTHAMPTON Build up thread

Saint Garrett

Maybe was doing seperate training as he played 75 minutes on Tuesday.
He was our only player that played on Tuesday wasn't he? So could make sense that he's on a different training/rest programme to the others for a couple of days.

Edit: Lambert and JWP both played of course, although much less tiring shifts than Lallana.

This fixture has actually been two of the most important in both club histories in the past. Previous fixtures in this game would ultimately be the difference between success and faliure for each club. Ironically both of them ended 2-2 with Arsenal scoring injury time equalisers in both.

in 1988 Saints led 2-1 going into injury time and Arsenal snatched an equaliser in the 8th minute of injury time, time added on due to Arsenal midfield Paul Davis slying punching Glen Cockerill off the ball and out of view of the officials, the punch would break the Saints players jaw. That punch and the added injury time meant on the last day of the season Arsenal were able to travel to Anfield still able to win the title. History shows they did with another late goal, however but for that punch then that might never have happened.

Then in 2004, Saints again led 2-1 going into injury time. Another injury time equaliser for Arsenal would level the scores and history would show that had Saints managed to hold out then we would have stayed up that season on goal difference.

So arugably this fixture in the past has been pivitol to both clubs histories.

This fixture has actually been two of the most important in both club histories in the past. Previous fixtures in this game would ultimately be the difference between success and faliure for each club. Ironically both of them ended 2-2 with Arsenal scoring injury time equalisers in both.

in 1988 Saints led 2-1 going into injury time and Arsenal snatched an equaliser in the 8th minute of injury time, time added on due to Arsenal midfield Paul Davis slying punching Glen Cockerill off the ball and out of view of the officials, the punch would break the Saints players jaw. That punch and the added injury time meant on the last day of the season Arsenal were able to travel to Anfield still able to win the title. History shows they did with another late goal, however but for that punch then that might never have happened.

Then in 2004, Saints again led 2-1 going into injury time. Another injury time equaliser for Arsenal would level the scores and history would show that had Saints managed to hold out then we would have stayed up that season on goal difference.

So arugably this fixture in the past has been pivitol to both clubs histories.

Was at that game, in the home stand at Highbury. Seem to recall Henry smacked a pen off the post? Did that happen?

RVP in like the 93rd min or something wasn't it?

Hoping it won't be the same tomorrow (though actually a 2-2 at the Emirate is not a result to be sniffed at!), as I'm in the home stand once again :scared:

Was at that game, in the home stand at Highbury. Seem to recall Henry smacked a pen off the post? Did that happen?

Hoping it won't be the same tomorrow (though actually a 2-2 at the Emirate is not a result to be sniffed at!), as I'm in the home stand once again :scared:

Dont remember the pen but i wasnt at the game, but yes it was Van Persie in the 93rdish minute.

Just found it an amazing coincidence that both games finished 2-2, both of them were due to injury time Arsenal equalisers and both results had far reaching consequences for one of the clubs.

Rory Delap scored both of our goals from headers I seem to remember.

51b7fe19343882b19a73a0837c68ed7a_normal.jpegArsenal FC@Arsenal

Wenger: "All teams want to press and win the ball back quickly. Southampton maybe do it better than others. Pochettino has done very well without speaking too much. You have to give him credit for that. It's absolutely tremendous what Southampton have achieved. They can be very ambitious" #AFCvSFC http://po.st/GkbFbT

We were riding high in the table at this game too, think it might have been up to third at one point during this run. in fact there are a lot of similarities, a young exciting team playing good football, doing better than anyone thought and everyone loved us. We conceded a shed load more goals though. Sadly most of that team would end up being sold off and replaced with rubbish.

Edited by Turkish

couldn't find one with the Saints goals on the 2004 game. 4 players around Van Persie and not one of them makes a challenge FFS.

Symptomatic of that season ffs. Was gutting, like so many other games. Didn't we chuck away a 2 goal lead to Boro (was that one of 'Arry's first games?), the Everton game at home, probably more I'm forgetting.

Anyone got any news on Lallana? I've watched the build up video, no sight of him at all.

If we don't have Lallana tomorrow that would be a real blow. Steven Davis could come in and do the pressing that Lallana does, but he doesn't offer the same ability on the ball to be able to keep possession and create chances (I don't have evidence to support that statement, but my impression is that Lallana offers more creativity than Davis).

David Axcell from Southend.

Shapter was a decade earlier. Sent George Best off at The Dell in 76 when playing for Fulham

Just about the only decent thing he ever did for us. Seeing his name on the match day programme sent shivers down my spine.

Mind you that Fulham match is right up there in my favourite Dell matches. Under the East Stand - you were probably stood next to me LOL!!

Good start to the day.

4 hours of Dr Who re-runs on BBC Entertainment while having to babysit a 3 year old son of one of Mrs D_P's best pals while she gets an about to drop a second sprog check-up. (haha her life is ruined his new big word is Oooooh Monsters)

Down to Barasti nice & early to watch some Beach Soccer (Iran v Russia in the finals) gonna be a Perfect Day especially after the two words from VMAN

What a great reminder of halcyon days - many a day on the terraces watching dream football. The cup highlights are great too- you can't beat winning at Wembley...unless it's winning the league maybe?

Should be looking forward to this,but I'm not.

the way Arsenal have been playing our bubble could well and truly be burst.

hope we really play to our potential,if we do,we could get a favourable result......people would really have to sit up and take notice.

a nail biting afternoon awaits.

3-1 to arsenal I reckon

Due to the far from ideal build up for such a crucial game with players all over the place on International duty, I wouldn't be surprised if we are a bit flat today and get torn a new one, however the mood in the camp seems to be bouyant and we could come out flying.

Really don't know which way this one is going to go - head goes for a loss, gut goes for a 1-1 draw and heart goes for the required 2-0 win (Merseyside derby draw) !! #fencesitting