Everton / Martinez

Glasgow_Saint

Wow - another perpetual moaner!

Not sure what more sad.... Old Nick who has posted and just moaned about a forum for 8 years or you who just recently signed up.... just to moan about the site and posters

I thought you joined just "to sort this site out"?

For happy clappies you guys do moan alot!!

Oldnick, goat..... just need Shurlock to post now and my stalkers list is complete :)

please point me to the direction of my moans about this site? i have recently found your constant need to be the headline writer on here tiresome as well as your anti club agenda. This thread like a others you have started are not relevant to Saints but you post them on the main board.

i am happy for the Everton debate to be had on the general sports page because thats where it should be. To say that it is relevant on here due to us playing them soon is a nonsense.

I do accept you have toned your obvious trolling down recently and long may that be the case

Do Everton have a far better side than us? Or is Martinez just doing an incredible job?

There team tonight... How many would get in our side? 3-4 imho

Just incredible what hes done with that squad

Everton

24 Howard

23 Coleman

03 Baines

18 Barry

26 Stones

15 Distin

10 Deulofeu

16 McCarthy

17 Lukaku

20 Barkley

21 Osman

Substitutes

01 Robles

07 McGeady

11 Mirallas

14 Naismith

29 Garbutt

32 Alcaraz

36 Browning

Imagine the depth....

-----------------Howard---------------

Coleman--Lovren--Jagielka--Baines

----------Barry----Schneiderlin------

----Lallana---Barkley---Rodriguez--

----------------Lukaku----------------

Subs: Boruc, Clyne, Distin, Shaw, Cork, Deulofeu, Lambert.

Imagine the depth....

That is a pretty awesome side, would be up there for the top 4 for sure.

How much did Everton spend and how many will they sell in the summer?

I dont know, but at least 2 very influental players are only there on loan and probably not there next year.

How many years have they had Sky Money to build a squad like that?

I dont know, but at least 2 very influental players are only there on loan and probably not there next year.

How many years have they had Sky Money to build a squad like that?

Are you honestly suggesting Everton haven’t had a fantastic season? During the summer they lost Fellaini, Hitzlsperger, Phil Neville, Anichebe, Jelavic (Jan) and there long term manager.

They signed Arouna Koné who got injured and has missed the season - they have done brilliantly and for you to say otherwise simply proves you will dispute literally ANYTHING

Are you honestly suggesting Everton haven’t had a fantastic season? During the summer they lost Fellaini, Hitzlsperger, Phil Neville, Anichebe, Jelavic (Jan) and there long term manager.

They signed Arouna Koné who got injured and has missed the season - they have done brilliantly and for you to say otherwise simply proves you will dispute literally ANYTHING

Barkley/Barry/McCarthy > Fellaini/Hitzlsperger/Neville

Lukaku > Anichebe/Jelavic

They have lost next to nothing player wise (or even have better players this year most would argue).

Just saying it because people think Everton is so much better this year compared to last which they really are not.

(and when are you going to learn the difference between there and their?)

Barkley/Barry/McCarthy > Fellaini/Hitzlsperger/Neville

Lukaku > Anichebe/Jelavic

They have lost next to nothing player wise (or even have better players this year most would argue).

Just saying it because people think Everton is so much better this year compared to last which they really are not.

(and when are you going to learn the difference between there and their?)

Settling for second best spelling and grammar?

Imagine the depth....

Not sure I'd be confident with Barry Sanchez in DM, he'll start tackling his own team when they do something positive.

Fair play to Everton for jamming so many games - not particularly impressed by them given their position and points tally. Today was no different. Interesting to see how they fare next season without their loanees and a bit of momentum.

Can see them falling off a bit.

Edited by shurlock

Fair play to Everton for jamming so many games - not particularly impressed by them given their position and points tally. Today was no different. Interesting to see how they fare next season without their loanees and a bit of momentum.

Alot of peeps said the same last summer, when they lost Fellaini, Hitzlsperger, Phil Neville, Anichebe, Jelavic (Jan) and the long term manager.

They could sign Barry on a perm and who knows Lakaku too.... He seems to enjoy it there. If they can squeeze Arsenal out of 4th place they will no doubt spend big

Alot of peeps said the same last summer, when they lost Fellaini, Hitzlsperger, Phil Neville, Anichebe, Jelavic (Jan) and the long term manager.

They could sign Barry on a perm and who knows Lakaku too.... He seems to enjoy it there. If they can squeeze Arsenal out of 4th place they will no doubt spend big

Fellaini apart, all those players were deadwood -or at least were bit-part players in Everton's progress. And with Fellaini, they were able to reinvest funds (i.e. McCarthy) - very different from the situation in which they now find themselves.

If they want to keep Barry, Lukaku. Deulofeu etc, they're going to have to cough up and pay which isnt in keeping with their transfer history and will, at any rate, limit their ability to strengthen in other areas. Forget the fact that there's very little chance that they'll keep Lukaku.

Edited by shurlock

They've got a good spine, Barry and Lukaku being integral to that. Of the players you mention only felliani and the manager I would suggest could be considered a big loss.

Also I'm not sure they would spend big, kenwright constantly talks of staying within budget and one season in the champions league might not change his view

I think you're alone in that view! They are a very good side, well organised and tactically they seem to (mostly) get it right every match.

I think you're alone in that view! They are a very good side, well organised and tactically they seem to (mostly) get it right every match.

I see them reverting back to where they generally were under Moyes - closer to 8th than 4th.

It will be interesting to see how the makeup of their squad changes in the summer. They've got an adaptable squad and a very smart manager but they're going to have to spend very wisely. Keeping Lukaku and/or Barry will help big time.

I don't think Martinez's early success tells us anything about Moyes, just that Martinez is very good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a bit of a man crush on Martinez. I mocked that he was trying to rebuild the team he took down last season, before this one kicked off, it was tongue in cheek of course.

He's built really well on a very solid foundation left by Moyes, and has got them playing some really great stuff.

I like Everton, which isn't a popular opinion on here (I wasn't alive for the incident that tainted them for others, so it doesn't really bother me) and would like to see a bit of change to the usual clubs finishing in the top 4 spots. Though, they aren't exactly a small club.

It will be interesting to see how the makeup of their squad changes in the summer. They've got an adaptable squad and a very smart manager but they're going to have to spend very wisely. Keeping Lukaku and/or Barry will help big time.

I don't think Martinez's early success tells us anything about Moyes, just that Martinez is very good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mourinho would be mad if he didn't take Lukaku back; mind you, he was mad to let him go this season, he's a ready made replacement for Drogba.

Mourinho would be mad if he didn't take Lukaku back; mind you, he was mad to let him go this season, he's a ready made replacement for Drogba.

Not sure if he is quite ready made, he's a very good player but still a little raw around the edges (don't get me wrong I'd take him at Saints in a heartbeat). Jose has never really been one to develop younger talented players, preferring to plump for established, finished stars.

I'm not so sure Lukaku will be at Chelsea next season, though I do agree he can become a very Drogba-esqu player for someone one day. Lukaku himself admits Drogba was always his role-model, understandable really, they are of a pretty similar build and share similar attributes. Plus, if you are going to model yourself on a player, Drogba isn't a bad one really. Never really liked the guy, but my word he was incredible. Utterly unplayable when on form.

Martinez is showing what an average manager Moyes is.

Indeed. Everton had been looking the perennial "if only" team for the last 5/6 years.

They were stuck in 4th gear, and it only took a slightly braver manager to get them off the ground. Football changes much quicker these days but I can see Martinez staying there for a while. Can only get better really.

Not sure if he is quite ready made, he's a very good player but still a little raw around the edges (don't get me wrong I'd take him at Saints in a heartbeat). Jose has never really been one to develop younger talented players, preferring to plump for established, finished stars.

I'm not so sure Lukaku will be at Chelsea next season, though I do agree he can become a very Drogba-esqu player for someone one day. Lukaku himself admits Drogba was always his role-model, understandable really, they are of a pretty similar build and share similar attributes. Plus, if you are going to model yourself on a player, Drogba isn't a bad one really. Never really liked the guy, but my word he was incredible. Utterly unplayable when on form.

Yeah fair point, although I think playing in a side like Chelsea would push Lukaku on a little. I think he's definitely got more to him than Torres, Eto'o and Ba. Mourinho clearly didn't rate him for this season though, which I find strange.

He's not really a Drogba type. People see tall, black and in a Chelsea shirt and assume that. He is less aggressive aerially, more involved in build-up play and far less capable of tracking back and defending.

That last part, I think, helps to explain why Mourinho doesn't want him. Same reason he let Mata go.

Martinez is showing what an average manager Moyes is.

Indeed. Everton had been looking the perennial "if only" team for the last 5/6 years.

They were stuck in 4th gear, and it only took a slightly braver manager to get them off the ground. Football changes much quicker these days but I can see Martinez staying there for a while. Can only get better really.

Feel this is a bit harsh. Martinez was left a pretty good foundation, and Moyes often finished 5-7th.

Martinez is doing a very, very good job - but I think it shows how good a job Moyes did there for someone to be able to come in and move it on so seamlessly.

Moyes did also get Everton into 4th too. Granted, the style with which Martinez is doing it is much easier on the eye.

Its scary to look at the Everton team/squad and then see how well they are doing.

Their squad is very small quality wise and on paper the first 11 is not as good as Spurs, Man U and even ours

Martinez seems to be able to get something special from the most average of player(s)

He's not really a Drogba type. People see tall, black and in a Chelsea shirt and assume that. He is less aggressive aerially, more involved in build-up play and far less capable of tracking back and defending.

That last part, I think, helps to explain why Mourinho doesn't want him. Same reason he let Mata go.

Don't agree at all. As KRG said, Lukaku has modelled a lot of his game on Drogba, citing Drogba as his "idol". Drogba himself has also said that Lukaku is better than he was at that age. There's plenty of "tall, black" strikers who rightly don't get compared to Drogba; in Lukaku's case the comparison is valid IMO.

I wonder where they'd be without loans this season.

Not as well but a moot point, I for one would have much rather had a good season on the cheap with Lukaku than shelling out £15 Million on ****e like Osvaldo, all its highlights is our shiete buying policy and Evertons eye fr a good loan.

Not as well but a moot point, I for one would have much rather had a good season on the cheap with Lukaku than shelling out £15 Million on ****e like Osvaldo, all its highlights is our shiete buying policy and Evertons eye fr a good loan.

Oh, I agree completely, I've just seen a lot recently from various pundits and other people saying that loans shouldn't be allowed between teams in the same division, and I agree. I expect Lukaku would cost us two Osvaldos though!

Not sure if you can classify Lukaku as "on the cheap"; rumour is that the loan fee was as high as £5M. Money well spent if they reach the CL, but £5M plus wages is still a big outlay for one season.

Don't agree at all. As KRG said, Lukaku has modelled a lot of his game on Drogba, citing Drogba as his "idol". Drogba himself has also said that Lukaku is better than he was at that age. There's plenty of "tall, black" strikers who rightly don't get compared to Drogba; in Lukaku's case the comparison is valid IMO.

I suppose it's partly down to the differences between Everton today and that Chelsea team. Perhaps Drogba would have made more play for others had Martinez been his manager.

Still, Drogba was a big defensive presence at set pieces etc, and Mourinho demands that from his attackers.

Oh, I agree completely, I've just seen a lot recently from various pundits and other people saying that loans shouldn't be allowed between teams in the same division, and I agree. I expect Lukaku would cost us two Osvaldos though!

They shouldn't be allowed but again they are so a moot point by the pundits.

I thought we were going to be a CL club, we must be in with a chance, show him the dvd, surely that will work?

We are not so you don't have a point to prove

Also, had we bought Naismith and mcgeedy, you would be going nuts and demanding sackings with that lack of ambition