What has happened to Lambert?

Glasgow_Saint

I swear some of you have no idea about football and just watch/support because you're trying to fit in or be fashionable.

Rickie was excellent in the first half with clever little passes, lovely bits of vision and helping to pull people out of position to create openings for others. In the second half granted, he was quieter, but I actually think Sunderland upped their game, closed down and our players generally started to look more tired. He therefore had less time and space to make the nice passes and quickly tired. But first half he was very good again with his movement, closing and link up play.

Additionally, remember what Pochettino said about playing "FROM" a position. Rickie plays FROM the front line, but actually he is really an advanced midfielder in his play. Jay plays FROM his position to often become the main striker.

well 5 assists as well as numerous other chances he has set up but lack of finishing keeps the total down. Who has managed as many or more assists, AL? who is our main creative midfielder perhaps.

Im talking about todays performance, he was poor, he was also poor last week. Are you going to start argueing the points or are we going to just go over unrelated information ?

You also argued how good he was leading the line, well, he was poor today, last week, and basically anytime ive seen him up top on his own this season

Lambert for Saints:

Second highest goal scorer

Joint second highest assists

Highest shots on target

I would say this is a man who is definitely not finished, but merely not having the shooting luck of past seasons. Dip in form is the issue, which can be a number of factors.

So this thread isnt discussing his dip in form then ?

Odd

Im talking about todays performance, he was poor, he was also poor last week. Are you going to start argueing the points or are we going to just go over unrelated information ?

You also argued how good he was leading the line, well, he was poor today, last week, and basically anytime ive seen him up top on his own this season

how can his assists be unrelated to being good at linking play? To be fair to you i dont think you are one of those rabid anti RL posters but I feel he is getting some pretty pathetic stick. To expect Sunderland to play poorly in the 2nd half was optimistic, if we had kept it to 2 nil at H?T then perhaps. therefore they upped their game put in more energy and made it more difficult for the whole team, including RL

Lambert Premier league stats.

23 games 6 goals 5 assists thats much better then Holts last season.

As for Osvaldo is not the answer at the moment, we need a winger so Jay Rod can play up top, this wont happen so i fully expect Lambo to start next week to try and get a goal vs Yeovil, then bring on Osvaldo for last 20-25 then start him vs Arsenal if Lambo was poor vs Yeovil.

No this thread appears to be full of knobs saying he's finished, sell him, execute him etc. I want us to discuss why his form is dropped, but let's be realistic he is still vitally important to our team.

Why are people knobs because they have a different opinion than you. What do you want a forum where you post your opinion and then posters line up to agree with it? That'll be pretty boring.

In my opinion he's slightly the wrong side of the hill, it's not that his form has dropped, just what happens to every single player that's ever played the game. They get old. don't forget he's pretty inexperienced at the top level and has done wonderfully well to adapt and thrive in this environment. But, he's either carrying a knock, or he's gone.

how can his assists be unrelated to being good at linking play? To be fair to you i dont think you are one of those rabid anti RL posters but I feel he is getting some pretty pathetic stick. To expect Sunderland to play poorly in the 2nd half was optimistic, if we had kept it to 2 nil at H?T then perhaps. therefore they upped their game put in more energy and made it more difficult for the whole team, including RL

Because his past assists have nothing to do with how he performed in the last two games ? Just saying ?!

As I said I think we suffered as we didnt kill the game off but thats always been our issue not just today. As for Rickie, he definately has a role to play in the attacking midfield three IMO but not as a lone striker anymore and for me he has been poor in his last two games.

I don't think anything has happened to Rickie Seriously . I used to think I was a very good forward at hockey could score goals at will but my coaches saw I was a player who had great vision of the game and would be a better creator of goals . I was frustrated but yes they were totally correct and I think that is what Rickie does the best he is a conduit for others scoring hip goals not only as a target man but someone who reads the game well and can give that deft little pass at that final moment . Don't knock him . If he wasn't around we might have to change the team formation a bit . Dani o does not give us that option

Think a lot is fans' expectations..

You will be doing very well if all forwards hit form at the same time.

Barry said that Hooper / Ricky van w / altidore in our first 11.

JayRod 9 goals 2 assists

Lambert 6 goals 5 assists

Lallana 5 goals 6 assists

Total 20 goals 13 assists

Hooper 5 goals 2 assists

Altidore 1 goal 1 assist

Ricky VW 1 goal 1 assist

Total 7 goals 4 assists

Also Lambert and JayRod offer a lot more to the team than many other forwards.

Form dipped but not bad half season!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

We are not playing to his strengths. He is rarely on the end of the chances being created. He works hard making space for others and feeding knock ons. If you think that he doesn't care then that's incredible. I would love to see how you perform every single day....I bet you always put in top class performances

He needs a rest . Since the city game he must have started nearly every game and hes never been the most mobile at the best of times. Rest him for the cup and arsenal with ossie having yeovil to get back fit then chase down the arsenal defence quicker than rickie can . A player of rickies age shouldnt play every game especially over christmas, fairly poor management of his fitness but to be fair to poch ossie got injured then let him down with that spat

Malgorth chill mate I see you are a bit of a newbie on here . We all have opinions but beware if the trolls who deliberately try to wind us up

Lol. Patronising much, twas just a little joke, I don't really think anyone wants to execute Lambert. Like many I read the forum and know full well who the trolls are and the self involved gentlemen are, however I rarely bother to get involved. On this occasion I couldn't resist the bite as the stating of the facts is enough to take an arm off (Also congratulations on your 4835 posts sausage, if that was what you were looking for) :lol: :thumbup:

On this occasion no one can disagree with the simple fact that Lambert has provided or scored in 11 of our league goals this season, this is not opinion, it is fact. He has dropped off of late, agreed and maybe it is because he is over the hill (this is your opinion duckhunter and fair enough) but in mine own opinion it is so reactionary based on what has been 2 slower months for him, that it's ridiculous to call it fact and say get rid. What worries me about this thread is that it's not just the trolls saying that Lambert's had it. Take a look at his stats for the season again. If he goes to West Ham we might seriously regret it.

I notice now the same people who wanted Wanyama put on a plane back to scotland after a few dodgy games are also the ones now saying Wanyama is so vital and that Lambert should go to West Ham as the weak link.

NB: I named no name's when I mentioned knob's earlier and if you are offended because you feel you fit this category then fair enough, I meant it. Pastor Patron and the 'batman' can be found on about every thread for the past month saying the same boring thing without basis or rational discussion (Lambert is **** etc. which is just laughable), so it was rather aimed for tools like them and I'm hoping most sensible people realised that. ;)

Think a lot is fans' expectations..

You will be doing very well if all forwards hit form at the same time.

Barry said that Hooper / Ricky van w / altidore in our first 11.

JayRod 9 goals 2 assists

Lambert 6 goals 5 assists

Lallana 5 goals 6 assists

Total 20 goals 13 assists

Hooper 5 goals 2 assists

Altidore 1 goal 1 assist

Ricky VW 1 goal 1 assist

Total 7 goals 4 assists

Also Lambert and JayRod offer a lot more to the team than many other forwards.

Form dipped but not bad half season!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

This

Looked totally uninterested today.

WHY oh WHY do you start these types of thread... you will get the same response from morons who think he's finished.. and who have probably have never kicked a football in their lives.

I watched the 1st half and he played very well... perhaps second half he disappeared.. I doubt it but Sunderland had to play better as they were woeful.

Its clear that he plays a different role under MP than he would probably choose, but he's still more creative than any other offensive player.

Osvaldo, who some posters think is the answer to everything, has yet to justify a starting position as a lone striker; and Rodrigues is totally lost in that position.

WHY oh WHY do you start these types of thread... you will get the same response from morons who think he's finished.. and who have probably have never kicked a football in their lives.

I watched the 1st half and he played very well... perhaps second half he disappeared.. I doubt it but Sunderland had to play better as they were woeful.

Its clear that he plays a different role under MP than he would probably choose, but he's still more creative than any other offensive player.

Osvaldo, who some posters think is the answer to everything, has yet to justify a starting position as a lone striker; and Rodrigues is totally lost in that position.

To be fair to Glasgow his signature trolling style does draw out the real mongs so at least the sensible posters like yourself can spot em. Quality of fan is definitely something that doesn't improve as you rise up the leagues...

Good on you for ensuring you dont post anything remotely arrogant....... Oh

I get the feeling hardly anyone realises just how difficult it is to play as a lone striker coming off two centre backs. Osvaldo can't, neither can Rodriguez despite their abilities. At this club at the moment only Lambert can play the catalyst that allows the movement of Lallana and Rodriguez . It's the way we play. To replace Lambert we need somebody as smart, similar, maybe younger and quicker or change the way we play which isn't going to happen. What will that cost?

I get the feeling hardly anyone realises just how difficult it is to play as a lone striker coming off two centre backs. Osvaldo can't, neither can Rodriguez despite their abilities. At this club at the moment only Lambert can play the catalyst that allows the movement of Lallana and Rodriguez . It's the way we play. To replace Lambert we need somebody as smart, similar, maybe younger and quicker or change the way we play which isn't going to happen. What will that cost?

An absolute fortune..

You don't disagree with him then?

He has shown himself to be a bit of a tit in his short time here with stuff such as 'im right your an idiot', 'you clearly werent at the game' and now his latest and then quite hilariously calling other people out for posting arrogantly

Ive said enough on this subject, he was woefull last week, ok first half and woefull 2nd this week but all in all he has a place in the team just probably not as a lone striker in poch's system. Perhaps in attacking midfield.

Ossie is about all we have right now in the lone role so MoPo either needs to release the creative shackles (though we created enough today) or look at bringing in another option

We need someone more dynamc to lead the line and be more potent around the box. You need your main striker to be scoring goals as well as just keeping CB's occupied.

If Osvaldo can learn to protect the ball a bit better when needed, he'd be the better option by far.

He has shown himself to be a bit of a tit in his short time here with stuff such as 'im right your an idiot', 'you clearly werent at the game' and now his latest and then quite hilariously calling other people out for posting arrogantly

Ive said enough on this subject, he was woefull last week, ok first half and woefull 2nd this week but all in all he has a place in the team just probably not as a lone striker in poch's system. Perhaps in attacking midfield.

Ossie is about all we have right now in the lone role so MoPo either needs to release the creative shackles (though we created enough today) or look at bringing in another option

You certainly have the right nickname, but at least don't make things up.. or better still put IMO on the end as at least then the majority don't take it as gospel

Its really hard to do. RL had the attributes but seems to have lost his mobility and jumping power so ends up playing AM - which is largely why we've lost a lot of cutting edge. That situation is unlikely to improve as RL gets older. Osvaldo could do it better with practice imo.

You certainly have the right nickname, but at least don't make things up.. or better still put IMO on the end as at least then the majority don't take it as gospel

Funnily enough, everything written on here is someones opinion, we don't need to start tagging everything to help out people to dumb to understand that. IMO.

While everyone is pointing out the things he can't do, lets remember the things he can do are good enough to see us sitting comfortably 9th in the table. For reference, lets take a look at the main strikers of every team above us in the league:

1. Arsenal - Giroud

2. Man City - Aguero, Negredo

3. Chelsea - Torres, Eto'o

4. Liverpool - Suarez, Sturridge

5. Everton - Lukaku

6. Spurs - Soldado, Adebayor

7. Man Utd - Rooney, Van Persie

8. Newcastle - Remy

Lambert is doing incredibly well in my opinion, and whilst he is having some bad games he is still performing at an incredible level overall to help us to this position in the table. We should be proud, not belittling him.

While everyone is pointing out the things he can't do, lets remember the things he can do are good enough to see us sitting comfortably 9th in the table. For reference, lets take a look at the main strikers of every team above us in the league:

1. Arsenal - Giroud

2. Man City - Aguero, Negredo

3. Chelsea - Torres, Eto'o

4. Liverpool - Suarez, Sturridge

5. Everton - Lukaku

6. Spurs - Soldado, Adebayor

7. Man Utd - Rooney, Van Persie

8. Newcastle - Remy

Lambert is doing incredibly well in my opinion, and whilst he is having some bad games he is still performing at an incredible level overall to help us to this position in the table. We should be proud, not belittling him.

Doesn't this just prove that we need a better option up front at the moment.

Doesn't this just prove that we need a better option up front at the moment.

Interestingly, but admittedly not relevant to this thread, Jay Rod has now scored the same amount as Giroud, Lukaku, Negredo and Rooney, and importanly more than welbeck. Fair play to the lad, shame he can't yet be played as our lone striker.

Interestingly, but admittedly not relevant to this thread, Jay Rod has now scored the same amount as Giroud, Lukaku, Negredo and Rooney, and importanly more than welbeck. Fair play to the lad, shame he can't yet be played as our lone striker.

Well he's very effective playing from the left. Interesting that many felt he was being shoe horned there when he first joined , turns out to be his best position.

This is true, it seems all our forwards struggle to play as the lone striker in Poch's system when they are qualified and experienced enough to play in a position like that, but I personally can't work out why this is the case despite our sexy build up play. Frustrates the **** out of me. (If anyone with genuine coaching knowledge has a theory why via PM I would love to know)

Lambert is good and effiecent for the team as long as he gets the ball on his feets in open space with time on his hand.

Unfortunately you dont get too much of that anymore in this league and opponents also know that if they close him down early he´s not the same threat.

I also see a problem about his movement and that is that his teammates really have to put the pass on his feets for him to get it, if it´s just a yard off his feet are planted and he wont reach the pass instead of being able to move that yard and gather the ball.

Lambert is good and effiecent for the team as long as he gets the ball on his feets in open space with time on his hand.

Unfortunately you dont get too much of that anymore in this league and opponents also know that if they close him down early he´s not the same threat.

I also see a problem about his movement and that is that his teammates really have to put the pass on his feets for him to get it, if it´s just a yard off his feet are planted and he wont reach the pass instead of being able to move that yard and gather the ball.

plus the fact that the opposition know he's lost his mobility, so will push out quickly and leave him offside. Thats why he sits deep and as a consequence we lose cutting edge.

Well for me RL has done miracles for us the last few seasons but he no longer looks to be enjoying himself.

Even the best can have dips in form but with Rickie the smile has gone as well, the guy looks seriously miserable. Whether it is because of his form or something else only he will know but my guess is that this season he has not necessarily been our first choice CF which has hit him hard and his form.