Chris Nicholl

OldNick

remember going to Forest in a FA cup 5th round replay on a cold wednesday night..........we played the 1st half absolutely magical should of been 4 goals to the good but ended up going in only 1 goal up without reply.....that wiley old fox Cloughie brought on a young Nigel Jemson and in typical Nicholl style go all out to get the lead then try and defend it Jemson went on to score a 2nd half hat-trick and we lost the game.

I think this just about summed up Nicholls team of the time could and would play some of the best football that i have ever seen from Saints until we got the lead and then tried to sit on that lead with a very mediocre defence............why oh why ddin`t we continue our great attacking football

remember that night, we got jumped afterwards on the other side of the Trent Bridge. But we got our revenge and found the bastards. then put a brick through their front window!

that season, 89/90 was probably the best ever, should have finished 3rd, but lost away twice in the last two games in North london, shame, we deserved a lot that year. think Matty got around 25 goals and Rodney got similar. And we had Donny and his free kicks! Charlton away at Selhurst!

that season, 89/90 was probably the best ever, should have finished 3rd, but lost away twice in the last two games in North london, shame, we deserved a lot that year.

think Matty got around 25 goals and Rodney got similar. And we had Donny and his free kicks! Charlton away at Selhurst!

well....close ! MLT scored 20 League goals plus 4 in Cup comps. and Rod Wallace 18 League + 3 in cups.

Channon left in the summer of 1977, the same time that Nicholl signed. He then returned in Sept 79, so they played together for 3 seasons until we released Channon at the end of 81/82. Nicholl playing for one more season, before coming back as manager in the summer of 85.

I meant Channon left before CN returned as manager

If I recall the season he got sacked we did not win for 21 games in a row until Neil Ruddock's Penalty helped us beat Newcastle. We had a very good team and the results were not reflecting that. We also lost 6-2 at an already relegated Derby which will not have helped on the last day of the season

Different seasons. The losing run was 88/89. The 6-2 was 90/91.

Met Chris several times back then,really nice fella. Contrary to an earlier comment, I believe he was extremely disappointed to lose his job at the Dell. I was in touch with a northern based scout for the club at the time and remember him telling me so. Hope he's well though. Liked him, he didn't do to much wrong, but his departure marked the start of our great managerial merry go round !

I think he was sacked after the 6-2 result. Its all a bit hazey. We also lost 4-1 away at Sheff United

i went to that , not sure of the year but sheff utd were rock bottom and hadn't won for about 3 months, so of course they tore us apart and their fans invaded the pitch after each goal, that must rank one of the worst saints performances i've witnessed

I think he was sacked after the 6-2 result. Its all a bit hazey. We also lost 4-1 away at Sheff United

Correct. Earlier that season we lost 3-0 at Everton and 4-0 at Arsenal and didn't create a chance in either game. That was still better than the 2-1 defeat at QPR, who were bottom at the time. We were truly awful and our goal was from Casey in the last minute.

The 4-2 3 formation is a bit of a phalacy. We didn't play it anywhere near as much as people think. When i think of that formation I think 89-90 with Matty, Rod , Shearer and Tiredout but we only played it for about 10 league games that season according to In That number. We played 4-3-3 much mor eoften.

I think Nicholl did pretty good with not much money. We were one of the biggest teams screwed by the European ban. Someone with bette rinfo might be able to provide more info but before the ban we had established players on big wages. As soon as Nicholl came along, we had the European ban and I don't think he ever signed a first division player. He always bought cheap players from lower leagues and got the best out of them or played the kids.

That said I think it's telling he took so long to get back in football management and never with a top team.

He was a cheap manager to hire with no experience of management. When he was appointed I think it gave a good indication of where the club was going and how much they were prepared to spend for the next few years till Souness became manger.

Different seasons. The losing run was 88/89. The 6-2 was 90/91.

I'll never forget that 88/89 season until the day I die. It was the year I did my GCSE's. I remember us beating Villa 3 - 1 at the Dell with an amazing display to put us third. Our next win after that was April 1st at home to Newcastle. I arrived at half time during that games due to the shoddy trains, could only get in at the family centre, then in the last minutes Rodney was out on the right of the penalty area and their keeper came storming out and brought him down. Such amazing relief to actually win a game. Was also the Hillsborough season and the most sensationally won league championship ever won (much more so than 2012 imo)

that season, 89/90 was probably the best ever, should have finished 3rd, but lost away twice in the last two games in North london, shame, we deserved a lot that year. think Matty got around 25 goals and Rodney got similar. And we had Donny and his free kicks! Charlton away at Selhurst!

I've heard this said before but it's a bit of stretch to say we "should" have finished third. We could have, as we were 5 point off Spurs in third place with a game in hand with just a couple of games to play. But we were down in 11th or 12th place with just 6 or 7 games left in the season, so really we did well to finish 7th. No matter, still my favourite season as a Saints fan.

I've heard this said before but it's a bit of stretch to say we "should" have finished third. We could have, as we were 5 point off Spurs in third place with a game in hand with just a couple of games to play. But we were down in 11th or 12th place with just 6 or 7 games left in the season, so really we did well to finish 7th. No matter, still my favourite season as a Saints fan.

This is true, to finish 3rd we'd have had to have won at Highbury and White Hart Lane in our last two games and other results go our way, bit of rewriting of history there. As is the one about is being 3 wins away from the double in 1984. Of course on paper we were but Liverpool had won the league a few weeks early and we finished second courtesy of a brilliant late run, in reality we were never really title contenders but finishing 2nd was an incredible achievement.

This is true, to finish 3rd we'd have had to have won at Highbury and White Hart Lane in our last two games and other results go our way, bit of rewriting of history there. As is the one about is being 3 wins away from the double in 1984. Of course on paper we were but Liverpool had won the league a few weeks early and we finished second courtesy of a brilliant late run, in reality we were never really title contenders but finishing 2nd was an incredible achievement.

Well they did and we would.

http://www.statto.com/football/teams/southampton/1989-1990

I thought we led the table that season for more than any other team.

I'll never forget that 88/89 season until the day I die. It was the year I did my GCSE's. I remember us beating Villa 3 - 1 at the Dell with an amazing display to put us third. Our next win after that was April 1st at home to Newcastle. I arrived at half time during that games due to the shoddy trains, could only get in at the family centre, then in the last minutes Rodney was out on the right of the penalty area and their keeper came storming out and brought him down. Such amazing relief to actually win a game. Was also the Hillsborough season and the most sensationally won league championship ever won (much more so than 2012 imo)

Seem to recall we won our first 3 games of that season; then went 2 up at Arsenal, only for them to grab an equaliser in about the ninth minute of injury time, which had been added on for Paul Davis breaking Glenn Cockerill’s jaw with a left hook ffs! – a point which proved pivotal for Arsenal when they snatched the title on goal difference with the last kick of the season.

We were never top in 1984 or 89. think it was 81 we were top for a long time, we finished about 6th that year.

Yes, it was 81-82 where we went top at the end of January and stayed there for quite some time before dropping back. We never looked like winning it that year really though, as other teams had too many games in hand on us while we were top. Was great to be there mind! In 83-84 we were pretty close for a lot of the season if memory serves, but you're right that Liverpool had it won way before the season's end and we came in with a brilliant run which took us to second.

Yes, it was 81-82 where we went top at the end of January and stayed there for quite some time before dropping back. We never looked like winning it that year really though, as other teams had too many games in hand on us while we were top. Was great to be there mind! In 83-84 we were pretty close for a lot of the season if memory serves, but you're right that Liverpool had it won way before the season's end and we came in with a brilliant run which took us to second.

after winning at Ayresome Park on a very cold afternoon

We ended up finishing 3 points behind 'Pool that year which in reality makes it seem closer that it actually was.

We were always part of a chasing pack but 'Pool were always ahead, they had had the league stitched up pretty early whereas we had an amazing run in and finished top of the chasing pack but we never really threatened them, we just ran out of road in the end.

Had we had more games then who knows? Probably 'Pool would have just gone out and done what they had to do to keep the pack at bay.

Not to decry the achievement, it was amazing and was built on a rock solid defence and a couple of pint sized poachers up front. We had a huge amount of 1-0's that season.

We were almost invincible at home that season but funnily enough one of our 2 defeats was to relegated Notts County, the other to Forest though we got our revenge on them in the 3rd round of the cup.

We were almost invincible at home that season but funnily enough one of our 2 defeats was to relegated Notts County, the other to Forest though we got our revenge on them in the 3rd round of the cup.

It was their revenge on us. We had beaten them in the Cup a fortnight earlier. The league game was quickly added in that particular week, so as to let Steve Williams use up his suspension and not miss the 4th round at the Skates.

It was their revenge on us. We had beaten them in the Cup a fortnight earlier. The league game was quickly added in that particular week, so as to let Steve Williams use up his suspension and not miss the 4th round at the Skates.

Didn't we also lose at home to Stoke who were relegated?

We were top during the 1988/89 season.

I was talking about the 89/90 season where the highest we went was 3rd in September time. I think you maybe right about 88/89 though, didn't we win our first 3 games and were top then? 4-0 at home to west ham on the open day.

Talking of Nicholl this is how i'll always remember the dell most fondly https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Be0aqwgCYAEox8p.jpg:large many a happy saturday afternoon was spent just under the milton roof (on the right side).

Great pic. Preferred The Dell with the Choccy Boxes but this still looks good.

As for Chris Nicholl. Just after he signed for Saints (as a player) I was autograph hunting (Dell car park - players used to go there before training during the week). For some reason he was just hanging around the car park on his own. Got talking and he asked me the name of the ends and where the singers went etc. So Chris - I was that kid who first told you of the Milton and the Archers. I bet he remembers it as clearly as I do...

I don't remember the cheerleaders at all :?

I don't remember them either but i'd guess that was about 90-93 going by the kits in the crowd. Probably a one off thing but not something that's stuck in my brain (like the old marching band did).

I remember the long run with out a win in 89/90. Was it 19 games? I was in the west benches for the Newcastle game iirc and remember it feeling like we had won the league, fa cup and World Cup all in one when that penalty went in :)

I remember the long run with out a win in 89/90. Was it 19 games? I was in the west benches for the Newcastle game iirc and remember it feeling like we had won the league, fa cup and World Cup all in one when that penalty went in :)

It was Neil Ruddock that took that penalty (it was 88/89) right at the very end of the match and I remember the tension. You could have cut the atmosphere with a knife.

Wikipedia says:

Ruddock joined Southampton in February 1989 in a £200,000 transfer from Millwall.[3] A rugged, uncompromising defender, he soon became popular with the Southampton fans especially after confidently tucking away a penalty against Newcastle United on 1 April in only his sixth game for the club, thus helping the "Saints" earn their first victory in 18 matches and start Southampton on a climb away from the relegation zone. His goal celebration after the 89th minute penalty became known as the "Ruddock stomp". (Ruddock missed his next two penalties allowing Matt Le Tissier to take over for the next season.[4])

Ah yes, the Ruddock stomp. Forgot about that one.

:)

Talking of Nicholl this is how i'll always remember the dell most fondly https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Be0aqwgCYAEox8p.jpg:large many a happy saturday afternoon was spent just under the milton roof (on the right side).

That's about where I used to stand. There was a guy there called Dennis (I think) who used to bring a beer crate for his little boy to stand on. Remember the cheerleaders vaguely, none of them was anything special.