Ticket for parking on private land.

Golden Balls

• 2 weeks later...

Interestingly a transcript has recently been published of a case in the Bristol County Court where Parking Eye took someone to court.

As far as I know it's very rare that these companies ever bother doing that but it seems as though this one does.

Anyway, the judge rips them a new one and awards 45 quid to cover the defendant's husband taking a half day off work to babysit during the hearing plus mileage and parking costs for attending court to the defendant. The transcript is actually quite funny as the judge is a little whacky and clearly thinks the whole thing is a little contemptible.

If anyone is interested in reading the transcript it's here: http://nebula.wsimg.com/53e672581a806f6f5ae78602683bcbcf?AccessKeyId=4CB8F2392A09CF228A46&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

Interestingly a transcript has recently been published of a case in the Bristol County Court where Parking Eye took someone to court.

As far as I know it's very rare that these companies ever bother doing that but it seems as though this one does.

Anyway, the judge rips them a new one and awards 45 quid to cover the defendant's husband taking a half day off work to babysit during the hearing plus mileage and parking costs for attending court to the defendant. The transcript is actually quite funny as the judge is a little whacky and clearly thinks the whole thing is a little contemptible.

If anyone is interested in reading the transcript it's here: http://nebula.wsimg.com/53e672581a806f6f5ae78602683bcbcf?AccessKeyId=4CB8F2392A09CF228A46&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

Enjoyed that, thanks. Made me smile.

That's a wonderful read, thanks.

Deputy District Judge Melville-Shreeve: I wish you well with your child.

Mrs Collins-Daniel: Thank you very much.

Deputy District Judge Melville-Shreeve: Did I see one was due in March, is that what

you said in your application, or whatever?

Mrs Collins-Daniel: No, she was born on xxx.

Deputy District Judge Melville-Shreeve: Born on xxx?

Mrs Collins-Daniel: Yeah. So she’s --

Deputy District Judge Melville-Shreeve: So sorry, I --

Mistaking a fat bird for being pregnant, classic wish the ground would swallow you up moment...

This was really good, well worth the read.

• 2 weeks later...

I got one the other day for staying to long in a Halfords car park

from a company called G24, I guess the advice is to ignore it.

And I SUppose it helps that I am also moving house and also scrapping the car in the next few weeks.

Its a load of bull. You'll get a few more that get gradually more threatening, purporting to be from solicitors, when in reality its from the next table in the office. then they will offer to accept half to avoid going to court. Then they'll give up.

• 1 month later...

Just had a run in with Parking Eye regarding a 'double dip' visit to the services on either side of the M61 at Rivington - the first stop was for 20 minutes at the northbound services and the second 7 hours later at the southbound. However, they claimed £100 for overstaying by 5 hours at the northbound; we provided evidence of a payment made at the southbound and they backed down. ( We didn't get to play our ace - on Sunday we did a recce and found that the ANPR cameras on the 2 exit roads are on different sides of the road, so the exit image on their penalty notice, taken from the driver's side of the car, could not have come from the northbound exit, where the ANPR is on the passenger side ).

Just remember this useful fact: In the unlikely event that it would go to County Court as a private individual you are entitled to have the case heard by the district judge at your local court. They will of course issue it from their local court but as soon as you transfer proceedings they have to attend. Just imagine how much it will cost them to attend-will they.

Most cases are arbitrated by phone and if the charge is unreasonable or unjust which it invariably it is the arbitrater will almost certainly seek a mutually acceptable compromise.

Phone is a relatively painless experience -my son with my assistance received nearly £1000 a bad holiday experience when initially offered about £100.

"Honest John" has useful advice as well.

I was in a similar situation to you where I was initially intending to ignore and wait to see if they issued court proceedings, but was due to move house. Advice I was given was that if the parking company do take it to court, you not having received the court proceedings letters because you've moved, and therefore doing nothing, means the court will automatically judge in favour of the parking company. They can then legitimately pass it to receivers/bailiffs who are likely to make some effort to find you and all the added costs etc.

So the moving kinda complicated it enough for me and I ended up caving in and paying up. Hardest cheque I ever had to write but I didn't want all the hassle following me to the new address.

Had this myself a couple of years back, not sure if it was before or after the date when things changed stated earlier.

i parked in a cafe car park for 2mins whilst visiting the shop next door. It was a Sunday and the cafe closed. Still, a private company slapped a ticket on me. Had it been a council car park, or a reasonable fine, I'd have paid.

£70 rising to £100 after 2 weeks seemed unreasonable, so looked at some sites and the advice at the time was the 'don't respond at all' so I didn't. Received a number of things through the post, threatening court action etc. it went to £100, the £125 and then £160 odd I think. Still ignored it. They then said they'd reviewed it and that I owed £65! £5 less than the original fee! That just convinced me that they were monkeys so I didn't act. Not had anything else since.

as before, they rely on people caving, I recommend not doing so.

I was in a similar situation to you where I was initially intending to ignore and wait to see if they issued court proceedings, but was due to move house. Advice I was given was that if the parking company do take it to court, you not having received the court proceedings letters because you've moved, and therefore doing nothing, means the court will automatically judge in favour of the parking company. They can then legitimately pass it to receivers/bailiffs who are likely to make some effort to find you and all the added costs etc.

So the moving kinda complicated it enough for me and I ended up caving in and paying up. Hardest cheque I ever had to write but I didn't want all the hassle following me to the new address.

Its exactly this, in practice you just respond, tailor a letter you get off moneysavingexpert which politely tells them to **** off and wait. If they respond you threaten to take them to the industry watchdog (equivalent of ofgem etc) if they fail to rule in your favour (v v v v v rare) you may get taken to court.

That never ends well for the parking company. Essentially if its a free car park (90min stay etc) they have to reasonably quantify their loss due to your overstay. Essentially if its free you can stay for 100 years and they've lost nothing.

I tried it and won, but it does make you worry about it, your choice but read moneysavingexpert and make up your own mind.

Even if they take you to court (v unlikely) and win (v unlikely) you would just have to pay the charge within 28 days of the judgment. It is EXTREMELY unlikely you would have to pay anything over and above the initial amount claimed and you would only get an adverse credit history if the judgment remained unpaid after 28 days.

Caving in just supports this sham industry.

Ps. A court claim is validly served on a last known address so moving house and sticking your head in the sand is probably not the best action.

• 2 months later...

Well I've moved house so not a lot I can do. Changed all my details on everything (driving licence, council, keepers certificate etc) on the day I moved. Just have to hope Im not unlucky to get taken to court I guess. As I'll never know.

I've actually received another one today. From ParkingEye this time. I hear they actually do take people to court since 2012. Not everyone obviously. So not sure if ignoring this one is the best way to go...?

Well I've moved house so not a lot I can do. Changed all my details on everything (driving licence, council, keepers certificate etc) on the day I moved. Just have to hope Im not unlucky to get taken to court I guess. As I'll never know.

I've actually received another one today. From ParkingEye this time. I hear they actually do take people to court since 2012. Not everyone obviously. So not sure if ignoring this one is the best way to go...?

No, the advice is now changing. have a look Moneysavingexpert or Consumer Action Group for info about how to proceed. You're still pretty much guaranteed to win but you need to do a little more leg work now.

I got one two weeks ago at Brizzle railway station.

The automated, can't even speak to a human on the other end of the phone system they use decided to randomly put a 1 in front of my number plate! When the monkey came round to check, he obviously couldn't find my reg number and slapped a ticket on the car!

They use one company for paying the parking money to and another that slaps the fines out, so one phone call to the first company and I have a valid receipt for the parking. Sadly, the second company are so inflexible that they won't deal with anything over the phone - except paying the fine!! - and you have to write to them to appeal. They basically hint on their website that unless you send it recorded delivery they will blatantly lie and say they didn't receive it! So, I'm now out of pocket to try and justify why I parked legally!

I've therefore sent them an invoice for half an hour of my time, plus stationary and postage costs for £127. I've also pointed out that each seven day period that they don't pay the invoice will be subject to 100% interest.

I'm looking forward to taking them to the small claims court in a couple of weeks for a grands worth of unpaid invoice :) I've got more chance of winning than they do! Two weeks later and they still haven't even acknowledged my appeal, despite stating quite clearly that I wanted it acknowledged within five days!

They also signed for the letter using the name 'Smith' which I'm sure I'll eventually find out that they don't have a 'Smith' working for them! Who do we report postal fraud to???

I got one two weeks ago at Brizzle railway station.

The automated, can't even speak to a human on the other end of the phone system they use decided to randomly put a 1 in front of my number plate! When the monkey came round to check, he obviously couldn't find my reg number and slapped a ticket on the car!

They use one company for paying the parking money to and another that slaps the fines out, so one phone call to the first company and I have a valid receipt for the parking. Sadly, the second company are so inflexible that they won't deal with anything over the phone - except paying the fine!! - and you have to write to them to appeal. They basically hint on their website that unless you send it recorded delivery they will blatantly lie and say they didn't receive it! So, I'm now out of pocket to try and justify why I parked legally!

I've therefore sent them an invoice for half an hour of my time, plus stationary and postage costs for £127. I've also pointed out that each seven day period that they don't pay the invoice will be subject to 100% interest.

I'm looking forward to taking them to the small claims court in a couple of weeks for a grands worth of unpaid invoice :) I've got more chance of winning than they do! Two weeks later and they still haven't even acknowledged my appeal, despite stating quite clearly that I wanted it acknowledged within five days!

They also signed for the letter using the name 'Smith' which I'm sure I'll eventually find out that they don't have a 'Smith' working for them! Who do we report postal fraud to???

:lol:Top work WSS.

Slightly different scenario I got a £125 fine from a private clamping company in Shirley a number of years ago. They clamped the car and took the money on the spot as a release fee.

I thought the £125 was an unreasonably high penalty, there were mitigating circumstances with respect to signage and the people who issued the fine were downright intimidating and nasty.

I decided that £30 was a reasonable fine since this is roughly what the council was charging for parking fines at the time.

I wrote to them asking them to pay me back £95 or I would start a small claim against them. They wrote back and refused my offer.

I started a small claim against them for £95. Within days I had a cheque for £95 and they had to pay the cost of me starting the small claim which was also approx £30.

so £120 fine turned into £30 and I got the satisfaction of knowing that the intimidating ****s didn't earn anything from me.