Do we need a new centre back or could Chambers play there?

Dazza82

Chambers has the potential make up to play as Centre Back, but as far as I know he's never played there at any youth level and obviously hasn't played there for the first team - not sure how the club would go through that process, maybe some exposure in pre-season.

We need two, one for Fonte and one for back up, Fonte is not good enough for a Premiership club with aspirations to progress. Would love to have Lescott is available but we would have to spend big to get him as he would get lots of offers.

a) Fonte IS good enough as a back up, but agree not for the first team.

b) Lescott is slow, and will be 32 in the summer. Not exactly what we look for in a player, although short term would do a job if we also sign a good youngster and blood him ready for first team action. Dan Burn looks like he can be a good player for the future, Grant Hanley could make the step up and Harry Maguire has been getting rave reviews at Sheffield United. All those could learn from Lescott for a season.

Chambers has looked very good when I've seen him, very confident for a first seasoner, it's Clyne I feel sorry for. We can't lose him. Two top right backs is a great asset to have.

a) Fonte IS good enough as a back up, but agree not for the first team.

b) Lescott is slow, and will be 32 in the summer. Not exactly what we look for in a player, although short term would do a job if we also sign a good youngster and blood him ready for first team action. Dan Burn looks like he can be a good player for the future, Grant Hanley could make the step up and Harry Maguire has been getting rave reviews at Sheffield United. All those could learn from Lescott for a season.

Chambers has looked very good when I've seen him, very confident for a first seasoner, it's Clyne I feel sorry for. We can't lose him. Two top right backs is a great asset to have.

I view Fonte as a Claus Lundekvam character. As a second centre half to a very dominant centre back then he's ok - Lovren is today's Michael Svensson. Together they're fine as one is doing the organising, with a weaker CB then Fonte/Lundekvam loses out. Remember how may touches Claus took before clearing it off the line, yet alongside Svensson they became one of the best CB partnerships we've had in recent times.

Lescott is too old and slow for us, and would be too expensive.

Grant Hanley - are you serious? Have you actually seen him play? He makes Danny Fox look like a fully fledged international left back.

Now Fonte isn't good enough? Christ. I never wanted to support one of the big clubs where fans just turn on players every time they don't win. Now it seems without the wins or trophies, I am supporting a club with fans that stupid.

If Demichellis is good enough for a title chasing team, then Fonte is good enough for us. To suggest we can't progress with him is just plain wrong given how far we have progressed with him. We got by without Lovren last year, now he's our best CB by some way. Fonte has improved a lot and most our problems came with Hooiveld and reserve keepers having to play. How on earth does that translate to Fonte not being good enough for 2nd or 3rd choice CB??

If we strengthened keeper and signed another CB, we'd have progressed further with Fonte still very much part of the side.

One person has said that Fonte is not good enough everyone else thinks he is good enough but would like to see a better centre back to help us kick on further.

One person turns into fans!!!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

This might not be so strange as it sounds.........I just opened a thread about Jos' " possible " departure (published on a couple of sites)

Considering that Calum started as a midfielder and has moved around a bit .....before finding the RB spot ( in lieu of Clyne's injury) ...WHY NOT ?

Maybe. He looks up to it physically but positioning and perception are crucial for centre halves, and that comes with experience. There's only so much we could do with him in preseason and it would be madness to throw him in at the deep end in the Premier League.

I would suggest that, if we want to go down that route, we try him out in the League Cup...but as we all know, that would be a disgrace to our club.

There is more to it than that to be fair. He's tough and good in the air.

But yes, a lot of work would be required.

I don't think Calum is CB material - he's a very good RB and could probably play CM as well as RM, but he's not right for a CB role imo.

One person has said that Fonte is not good enough everyone else thinks he is good enough but would like to see a better centre back to help us kick on further.

One person turns into fans!!!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I wouldnt worry too much, he is the newly appointed voice of the fans... Worrying considering the crap he spouts

Is all this just coming from the fact he is tall, and it's weird seeing a tall fullback?

It would certainly be weird seeing a 10 stone CB in the PL. Same sort of effect as an 11 stone lock forward I expect...minimal to non-existent. Can't see why we won't play him in MF. We insisted on playing Bale at LB, then smart guys moved him forward a notch.

Edited by Window Cleaner

We need two, one for Fonte and one for back up, Fonte is not good enough for a Premiership club with aspirations to progress. Would love to have Lescott is available but we would have to spend big to get him as he would get lots of offers.

If you think Lescott is a lot better than Fonte this only serves to reinforce my view of how much you really understand football

Now Fonte isn't good enough? Christ. I never wanted to support one of the big clubs where fans just turn on players every time they don't win. Now it seems without the wins or trophies, I am supporting a club with fans that stupid.

If Demichellis is good enough for a title chasing team, then Fonte is good enough for us. To suggest we can't progress with him is just plain wrong given how far we have progressed with him. We got by without Lovren last year, now he's our best CB by some way. Fonte has improved a lot and most our problems came with Hooiveld and reserve keepers having to play. How on earth does that translate to Fonte not being good enough for 2nd or 3rd choice CB??

If we strengthened keeper and signed another CB, we'd have progressed further with Fonte still very much part of the side.

Demichellis is a huge weak spot for City and it's amazing he is even there

Chambers has got quality centre back written all over him. Give him time to develop and that is where he will end up.

It appears the England Under 19's boss Noel Blake agrees with me! :D

Chambers is in the first team at Saints at the moment and is doing very very well. “He can [play at centre back] all the time, but obviously that’s not my decision.

“He’s played wide right and centre midfield and always turned out accomplished performances.

“I personally think long term that Calum will make an excellent centre half. 

“He’s doing very well at right back but he’s got very good reading of the game and is very clever.

“The reason why I selected him as a centre back is because I know what he’s like getting back and forward in the right back position.

“I brought him off at half-time (Saints colleague Harrison Reed coming on in his place for his England under-19 debut) because I know he has a game on Saturday.”

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/saints/news/11060140.Saints_youngsters_lauded/?ref=rss

It appears the England Under 19's boss Noel Blake agrees with me! :D

Chambers is in the first team at Saints at the moment and is doing very very well. “He can [play at centre back] all the time, but obviously that’s not my decision.

“He’s played wide right and centre midfield and always turned out accomplished performances.

“I personally think long term that Calum will make an excellent centre half. 

“He’s doing very well at right back but he’s got very good reading of the game and is very clever.

“The reason why I selected him as a centre back is because I know what he’s like getting back and forward in the right back position.

“I brought him off at half-time (Saints colleague Harrison Reed coming on in his place for his England under-19 debut) because I know he has a game on Saturday.”

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/saints/news/11060140.Saints_youngsters_lauded/?ref=rss

Well he doesn't have to pick a centre back to play against the likes of Suarez, Van Persie, Crouch, Benteke etc, It's against U19, mostly reserve players. Chambers is a regular Premier defender and should be able to stroll through an U19 friendly wherever he plays.

Well he doesn't have to pick a centre back to play against the likes of Suarez, Van Persie, Crouch, Benteke etc, It's against U19, mostly reserve players. Chambers is a regular Premier defender and should be able to stroll through an U19 friendly wherever he plays.

you seem to have completely missed the point in that the U19s boss (someone who probably knows at least a little bit about what makes a good central defender as he was one himself) has stated that he thinks CC would make a good centre back and gave him the opportunity to play that role. Yes this is only U19 level but as was stated above you can't just drop an 18 year old in at CB in the premier league when they have no experience of the position now can you.

• 2 weeks later...
A defence of...

Shaw Lovren Chambers Clyne

Would be interesting to see at some point in the remaining 8 Premier League games or in pre-season.

Chambers has the physique and aerial ability to be a centre back and it would allow us to fit Clyne and Chambers into the same team.

It is definitely something worth considering. I am not sure of Chambers defensive instincts at centre-back but as you say he definitely has the physique and aerial ability for it. If he proves good enough there then that wold allow one of Hooiveld or Yoshida to move on in the summer if we need to drop the wage bill a little. He's a very very young age to be getting games at centre-back in the Premier League though.