New West Quay development

SO16_Saint

As a retail development its fine. Trouble is Southampton doesn't need another retail development. So what will they do with all the closed down shops in Above Bar / London Road? The city is crying out for a distinctive draw to the city eg a well designed and built waterfront nightlife area instead of the industrial sheds atm.

As a retail development its fine. Trouble is Southampton doesn't need another retail development. So what will they do with all the closed down shops in Above Bar / London Road? The city is crying out for a distinctive draw to the city eg a well designed and built waterfront nightlife area instead of the industrial sheds atm.

Very much this.

Southampton as a city can only cope with a certain amount of retail - there are enough shops in the city already, so all that will happen with this new development is stores further away from West Quay will end up closing, causing a different part of the city to fall into disrepair. As you rightly say, the waterfront is drastically underused and underdeveloped and would be a massive opportunity to create something genuinely interesting and appealing.

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/11138056.City_s___70m_development_to_face_final_hurdle/

What is everyone's thoughts on this?

I personally think it looks pretty smart, and like the look/sound of it.

I cant understand why everyone is so bl00dy fixated on wanting an ice rink in Southampton.

Same on Bournemouth/Poole, as soon as a new development in mooted peeps are clamouring for an ice rink!

There's a reason why the old ice rink closed down you know?

Very much this.

Southampton as a city can only cope with a certain amount of retail - there are enough shops in the city already, so all that will happen with this new development is stores further away from West Quay will end up closing, causing a different part of the city to fall into disrepair. As you rightly say, the waterfront is drastically underused and underdeveloped and would be a massive opportunity to create something genuinely interesting and appealing.

There is a waterfront scheme being drawn up which will, hopefully, provide a very good opportunity to extend the city towards the water. I suspect the shopping around east street will suffer, but retail is concentrated around west quay now whether it's liked or not and will not change. The Council will need to have a firm idea what they want for these areas, but it seems a small price to pay for the necessary advances these waterfront developments will bring. I just hope they get the planning design right.

Why not spend the £70 Million (chickenfeed) on something that will actually draw the punters in, a sky tower, a bridge over the City, a waterfront with a seasonal beach, a waterfront would be nice as the City is on the water, years of neglect and an ikea.........................

Why not spend the £70 Million (chickenfeed) on something that will actually draw the punters in, a sky tower, a bridge over the City, a waterfront with a seasonal beach, a waterfront would be nice as the City is on the water, years of neglect and an ikea.........................

or just a door mat,,,,,wipe your feet on the way out,:smug:

Why would someone open another cinema there when there are already 3 others within easy walking distance?

What we need is a decent mid sized music/events venue like the BIC, not more shops.

Good call. This gets my vote. You should put your name forward on the best world leaders thread.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Why would someone open another cinema there when there are already 3 others within easy walking distance?

What we need is a decent mid sized music/events venue like the BIC, not more shops.

Good call. This gets my vote. You should put your name forward on the best world leaders thread.

The next phase should be to bulldoze West Quay and put a proper indoor arena / concert venue there.

Very much this.

This isn't shops though is it? It's restaurants, a cinema and maybe a bowling alley. If it's true that Odeon want to move out of Leisure World to this site, I'd have thought people would be happy with this idea. The entire West Quay site then becomes something along similar lines to Gunwharf, but bigger and with proper shops instead of outlet stores.

As usual when something like this is discussed, you seem to talk as if it's the council investing and doing the work. I don't imagine SCC have £70m knocking around to invest in vanity projects. If they did, then maybe they should reduce council tax instead?

I heard that, originally, when the Swedish furniture store was mooted they were going to build it over Southampton Central but this got rejected by central Government.

When asked why they said that they didn't want Southampton getting Ikeas above its station..

Edited by Big Bad Bob
too many apostrophes

This isn't shops though is it? It's restaurants, a cinema and maybe a bowling alley. If it's true that Odeon want to move out of Leisure World to this site, I'd have thought people would be happy with this idea. The entire West Quay site then becomes something along similar lines to Gunwharf, but bigger and with proper shops instead of outlet stores.

As usual when something like this is discussed, you seem to talk as if it's the council investing and doing the work. I don't imagine SCC have £70m knocking around to invest in vanity projects. If they did, then maybe they should reduce council tax instead?

Heavens above the council investing in their City to get locals or tourists in, what incentive is there for going to Southampton and staying?

Spot on!

The next phase should be to bulldoze West Quay and put a proper indoor arena / concert venue there.

Waste of time trying to keep shops open on deserted high streets. Turn them back into housing.

That should be easy cos places like Furniture Land are already like ready made houses, just with loads of sofas and beds. Chuck a couple of TVs and a microwave in and you're done.

That should be easy cos places like Furniture Land are already like ready made houses, just with loads of sofas and beds. Chuck a couple of TVs and a microwave in and you're done.

I'll take a nice comfortable armchair in the bath and shower section. And some popcorn.