Morgan Called Up for France WC Squad (Official)

St Chalet

Bit of a stroll for him last night compared with playing for Saints when he looks drained at the end from all the pressing and running. Not often did he stray more than 10 yds from the centre circle nor should he in that role. Not only does he keep possession (I actually counted two misplaced passes) but he is very aware of the shape of his team, where his team mates are and where the opposition players are and makes sure he fills in and keeps the shape when team mates stray. Every team needs a Schneiderlin. I fear he may end up at Arsenal.

Interesting thing for me was watching him tell some of his teammates where to go to receive the ball. Early on he was man marked a lot of the time as Ecuador tried to stop France playing out from the back. So Morgan simply moved his marker around to create space for others. But there were times when he dropped right off alongside the centre backs to create space for another midfielder to drop into to collect the ball, but they didn't do so, and he was telling them as much.

He knows that role inside out, and also knew what to do when he couldn't do it because of marking. It's easy to overlook what players do when they're not on the ball, but watching Morgan last night showed a level of maturity and experience that belies his years. Given that it was his first game, that his teammates hadn't played with him before other than in training, and that he had a clearly defined role to play, I think any criticism of him just demonstrates a lack of knowledge about his role and how to play it. It's one of those roles you don't notice until someone doesn't do it very well.

A truly sublime performance, the artistry of the man is simply breathtaking. As the match progressed more and more you could see other players confidence in him growing by the minute; towards the end he was literally the hub of everything that Les Bleus were doing.

Surely he must figure in team selection for the knock-out stages.

We must hope for at least one more season from a committed Morgan Schneiderlin who isn't staying here against his will as one senses some other players might be forced to do. The great thing about him is his modesty, no false badge kissing shenanigans from the gentleman.

Cork doesn't have the range of passing schneiderlin does, he's good at breaking up play but no where near as good at retaining possession which is crucial at international level.

Cork is excellent at ball retention in tight situations when battling for the ball but not so much when he doesn't have an immediate instinctive threat and needs to concentrate on a simple pass, Cork's passing range is certainly less, and he's got no tangible finishing ability whilst Morgan's got a range of shooting techniques.

Cork is worth a place in the current England set up because of the position he plays: Gerrard is no DM, Henderson is better further forward, and Phil Jones looks like the big kid in primary school who got all the trials and has now been overtaken by skilful players. Cork is at least worth a look in that company, but he still wouldn't be ahead of Schneiderlin if Morgan was English.

He plays in a position that the average 'GET it FORWAAAAAARD' 'STOP F*CKING ABOUT WITH IT' 'RUN YOU LAZY C*NT' English match going fan struggles to comprehend. Hence why some will not recognise his ability. Quite a few twitter mongs last night saying he only passes backwards.

The mind really does boggle at times. So many planks you could build a bridge to the Isle of Wight

Glad he doesn't play for Engerrrrland. I'm sure I heard that from our bench but I could be wrong ;-)