Morgan Called Up for France WC Squad (Official)

St Chalet

Hmmm honest but always correct as per usual.

Schneiderlin : «Je sais qu'il y a beaucoup de spéculations autour de mon transfert. J'ai encore trois ans de contrat, mais mon avenir ne dépend pas de moi. Il faut qu'un club tombe d'accord avec Southampton, qui a une situation financière stable. Quand je regarde autour de moi, je ne vois que des joueurs qui jouent la C1, c'est un rêve, c'est la prochaine étape. Mon objectif, ce serait bien de jouer dans un club qui dispute le top 5. Pour la visibilité, c'est mieux aussi, mais par respect pour Southampton, je ne préfère pas dire que j'ai envie de partir. »

I know that there is a lot of speculation about my transfer, I've still got 3 years left on my contract but my future isn't in my hands. It needs a club to reach an agreement with Southampton who have a stable financial situation.When I look around me I only see players who are playing in the CL, it's a dream, it's the next step. My aim is certainly to play for a club who are playing for a place in the Top 5, it's better for being noticed as well, but out of respect for Southampton I prefer not to tell them that I want to leave.

The last sentence doesn't quite read the same as the original. It feels slightly softer without the "tell them", though this is a quibble. Otherwise his position seems pretty clear.

Edited by shurlock

The last sentence doesn't quite read the same as the original. It feels slightly softer without the "tell them" but otherwise his position is pretty clear.

Fair play to the lad but realistically he wont stay here forever if we fail to progress. Is this a new interview ? If so then it confirms what I thought, new board not interested in progression.

Fair play to the lad but realistically he wont stay here forever if we fail to progress. Is this a new interview ? If so then it confirms what I thought, new board not interested in progression.

I wouldn't read it as that, just if a team who are higher up then us right now come in he would be interested, no context about our future plans has been given.

The last sentence doesn't quite read the same as the original. It feels slightly (perhaps trivially) softer without the "tell them" but otherwise his position is pretty clear.

Perhaps I should have translated that as "I'm not going to ask for a transfer" then.

Here's another take on it, from L'Equipe this time, presumably from the same Clairefontaine interview this morning.

«Pour ma progression et ma visibilité, ce serait mieux de jouer dans un club qui dispute la Ligue des champions, a-t-il reconnu. Je sais qu’il y a beaucoup de spéculations, mais j’ai encore 3 ans de contrat, ça ne dépend pas que de moi. On verra bien dans les semaines à venir».

For my progression and visibility (he means noticeabilty there), it would be better if I was playing for a CL club. I know that there is a lot of speculation but I've still got 3 years on my contract, thus it doesn't only depend on me. We'll see in the weeks to come..

It's not whether the new board are interested in progression though is it - if Schneiderlin wants to play Champons League football so much, he's going to have to seek a move regardless of what our board realistically do.

I wouldn't read it as that, just if a team who are higher up then us right now come in he would be interested, no context about our future plans has been given.

Well, last year it was the speil about getting into the champions league etc, all moving as one club and now it is the fact that he is looking for a club 'playing for a top 5 place'. Also the players now are asking for the board to meet their ambition.

Playing devils advocate, I dont think the ambitions there, hence MoPo stalling

You can't really blame him for wanting to go really, should've been in the French squad for the last 2 years at least, incredible player…just the type of player that would suit Arsenal, surprised they haven't tried to buy him sooner to be honest.

You can't really blame him for wanting to go really, should've been in the French squad for the last 2 years at least, incredible player…just the type of player that would suit Arsenal, surprised they haven't tried to buy him sooner to be honest.

Well they have but they don't seem to want to pay the price, or at least they didn't on the 30th of January. Why pay 16 million £ when you can get a crocked old hack from Moscow on a 5 month loan. Arsenal's problem is their salarial mass and Wenger being a bit of a scrooge. Then again KL had said we weren't selling so that would have made her look a bit on the flitty side if they'd knocked the price down a couple of mill just to please the Arse.

It's not whether the new board are interested in progression though is it - if Schneiderlin wants to play Champons League football so much, he's going to have to seek a move regardless of what our board realistically do.

True, dont get me wrong Im not anticipating a massive sale or anything, Im not really alagging off the board, I just think its a bit sad not capitalising on the position we are in.

Likewise. Perfect fit for them. Defensive midfielder with the pace and power that they need, but with the passing ability they demand. When van man said two or three would leave I immediately thought Morgan would be one of those. The lack of recognition at international level irks him, and just getting on the WC reserve list is not going to be enough. I have to say I think he is also not terribly happy playing alongside Wanyama. Victor eats his space and his possession.

Schneiderlin, it all

Premiers pas en Bleu pour Schneiderlin. First steps in Blue for Schneiderlin. (Reuters)

Axel Capron

Published May 19, 2014 at 19:19

Updated May 19, 2014 at 10:03 p.m.

New kid on the list of 30, joined Morgan Schneiderlin Clairefontaine Monday for the first day of the gathering of the Blues to the World Cup, obviously little intimidated by the context. If he knows that he will probably not be in Brazil, the midfielder Southampton intends to maximize its few days Blue to take its brands for Euro 2016.

We experienced more intimidated! Upon departing Monday for his first press conference in the skin of an international A that is not quite yet, Morgan Schneiderlin has appeared unimpressed by the fact of being for a large quarter of an hour of questions pressed by a curious assistance, which on first impressions, which on its future, that his memories of World Cup ... Just before him give way, Didier Deschamps did not wish to disclose content words of welcome addressed to his arrival at the "Castle" to his youngest, just commenting: "The other eight (arrived Monday, ed) know him, this is the first time it is somebody. a casual enough to him to find his place and eight others to get comfortable. "

Obviously, the Southampton midfielder was quickly felt comfortable and he has not sacrificed the ritual rookie in pushing the song to the group (that is planned for dinner Wednesday night when the main body arrives), it seemed like a fish in water when finding a center Clairefontaine he often attended with youth teams. With his Alsatian accent, the applicant, who is among six reservists Didier Deschamps ( Stéphane Ruffier , built in 23, is not), nonetheless recognized that A, it was something else: "The morning when you arrive by taxi and you climb the stairs of the castle, you are in a new dimension, you measure the distance traveled. This is the Holy Grail of football to arrive selection, I am a happy man, because I made ​​a lot of sacrifices to get there. "Did he expect so soon to meet in Blue, who had hitherto never been called or named as a candidate for the" great "team France? "To be totally honest, there are three weeks not. But from the moment I received a pre-call team in France and I found myself in a list, I believed, yes, and I looked at the list carefully. "

You would think Schneiderlin would be happy with recent progress. Even if he doesn't make the world cup, who knows how things will pan out after that.

Who is infront of him in the squad? Sissoko? Not exactly flush with Champions League appearances.

Likewise. Perfect fit for them. Defensive midfielder with the pace and power that they need, but with the passing ability they demand. When van man said two or three would leave I immediately thought Morgan would be one of those. The lack of recognition at international level irks him, and just getting on the WC reserve list is not going to be enough. I have to say I think he is also not terribly happy playing alongside Wanyama. Victor eats his space and his possession.

Just watched the whole interview he gave, didn't like how he was talking in the past tense about Southampton and Pochettino.

He also said he has heard that there were a lot of rumors about him moving to another club, bit suprised as TBH all I have heard are rumors about Shaw Lallana and Lovren.

He also said that he was surrounded by players today who play in the champions league:

If I count correctly 8 players were at Clairefontaine today: Evra, Remy, Sissoko, Mangala, Debuchy, Lloris, Sakho and Schneiderlin.

Hardly players who play in the Champions League...

So many good players we have wanting to play CL football, and a manager wanting to manage in it.

Let's just make it easier for everyone and sign 3 or 4 more players wanting CL football and then perhaps we'll get it. Southampton aside it would just be fantastic to see a smaller club keep players and really upset the odds.

This. Couldn't agree more.

So many good players we have wanting to play CL football, and a manager wanting to manage in it.

Let's just make it easier for everyone and sign 3 or 4 more players wanting CL football and then perhaps we'll get it. Southampton aside it would just be fantastic to see a smaller club keep players and really upset the odds.

Absolutely the way to go, we're nearer than we will probably ever be again if we let this group be spread out to the 4 winds.

Funny how we are miles and miles away from being as good as Liverpool yet they seemingly want the spine of our team.

In some ways we are equally as good as Liverpool, we just don't have their strike force and had to use a very,very poor goalkeeper(or goalkeepers) for nigh on a quarter of the season.

Funny how we are miles and miles away from being as good as Liverpool yet they seemingly want the spine of our team.

Boruc, Shaw, Skrtel or Agger, Lovren, Clyne, Morgan, Gerrard, Lallana, Sterling or Rodriguez, Sturridge, Suarez.

If you give Sterling the benefit of the doubt, theres still 6 Saints players in that team. Okay, an argument could be made for Mignolet and Johnson, but were really not that far off Liverpool. Thats why this Summer could be so frustrating.

Not atall surprised 'Pool would want the spine of our team, our midfield is one of the best in the league and our first defence is solid, the weak spots are GK when Artur is out and the strikers.

Keep what we've got, get another decent GK, a top class finisher and a decent CB and we are well in the hunt for a European place.

I'm not atall surprised top 4 clubs are very interested in our midfield, it's top class.

We're not at all. The difference is Suarez and Sturridge. The rest of our team is better.

DD has said some of the seven reserves could play in tomorrow's freindly so MS might get his first game for France.

there are only 6 reserves now anyway and there are a fair few players with apparently minor injuries, like Mangala and Ribery.

Morgan might get half an hour at the end I suppose.

there are only 6 reserves now anyway and there are a fair few players with apparently minor injuries, like Mangala and Ribery.

Morgan might get half an hour at the end I suppose.

I wouldn't be surprised by that, especially if he's been performing up to standard in training. Hopefully DD is a little surprised by him and gives him a shot.

Do they have another warm-up friendly? I gather Deschamps gave a few players debuts tonight so Morgan may have to wait for his chance.

France looked very good and a lot of their players who seemed very ordinary last season in the Premiership (Sissoko, Debuchy etc.) seemed like they were part of a well-drilled and well-organised team so I can understand if their manager doesn't want to change much. Their opposition tonight was very weak but there did seem to be a good chemistry in the French squad.

No. No matches for the stand-by players anymore before WC. They wil be released, so until September no chance he will play for France. I am gutted for him. This d1khead Deschamps still ignoring Morgan and could not provide any time on the pitch today yet again. What a ******!!!

No. No matches for the stand-by players anymore before WC. They wil be released, so until September no chance he will play for France. I am gutted for him. This d1khead Deschamps still ignoring Morgan and could not provide any time on the pitch today yet again. What a ******!!!

You have to question why he brought him into the squad at such a late stage, having ignored him up to then, and more so now, having brought him in and not given him any game time. What was the point of that?

You have to question why he brought him into the squad at such a late stage, having ignored him up to then, and more so now, having brought him in and not given him any game time. What was the point of that?

Meh, whatever I guess, he has to make choices here and there and he's naturally going to be focused on the 23 players in the squad proper. France look like they've got a good, well-established chemistry and that their players all know each other well enough. It isn't the time to chuck new players in and try to fix what isn't broken.

I think Morgan's inclusion in the ressies was just to give him the experience of training with the national team and to let him know that he's not completely gone under the radar; and that he will likely get his chance for the 2016 qualifying campaign and that tourney if he does well enough.

Meh, whatever I guess, he has to make choices here and there and he's naturally going to be focused on the 23 players in the squad proper. France look like they've got a good, well-established chemistry and that their players all know each other well enough. It isn't the time to chuck new players in and try to fix what isn't broken.

I think Morgan's inclusion in the ressies was just to give him the experience of training with the national team and to let him know that he's not completely gone under the radar; and that he will likely get his chance for the 2016 qualifying campaign and that tourney if he does well enough.

The manager will be 100% focused on the World Cup.

• 2 weeks later...