Bleacher Report scouting report on Mayuka

Nolan

Followed him this season for Sochaux. Did not impress me at all, yes he has pace but struggled to get into games most of the time.

He showed some potential in flashes but nowhere near the level of our other Players based on what he did during the season. Most games especially near the end of the season he was on the bench and lost his place to André Ayew

Did he get a chance to begin with?

The short answer to your question is no he didn't get much of a chance here, at least not in the first team. Presumably the reason for that lack of opportunity is that not only did MP not sign him, he didn't really rate him either. However, with MP now gone and the club down to just one inexperienced young striker - at this time anyway - only the rash would claim there is no chance of this player getting a second bite at the Premier League.

Time will tell.

The short answer to your question is no he didn't get much of a chance here, at least not in the first team. Presumably the reason for that lack of opportunity is that not only did MP not sign him, he didn't really rate him either. However, with MP now gone and the club down to just one inexperienced young striker - at this time anyway - only the rash would claim there is no chance of this player getting a second bite at the Premier League.

Time will tell.

Good point, we could do with playing him in the pre-season games.

Time will tell.

Spot on.

Pochettino didn't fancy him at all (defensive workrate/ability an issue?) but from where I was sat he didn't look out of his depth in the brief appearances he did make.

Spot on.

Pochettino didn't fancy him at all (defensive workrate/ability an issue?) but from where I was sat he didn't look out of his depth in the brief appearances he did make.

One of the success stories of our neighbours was Yakubo. He had bags of pace and the right ball would split a defence and he would score a hat full of goals. I always thought we would do this with Mayuka.

Time will tell.

Yeah agree with you. He's very keen and young.

I've got a feeling something will come in the end. Look how long it took for jay rod to come good. Lot was only 18 months ago he was getting abuse from a few of our fans.

• 1 month later...

Problem is, that if we keep him and Billy Sharp and Gallagher, we might end up with no goals. Gallagher seems here to stay. Pelle is obviously in. Is there room for both, one or either Sharp and Mayuka? I don't think that we can have both, and Mayuka probably has more potential than Billy, not least because of his pace.

I wonder if it's an attitude issue as the reports from last season while on loan weren't great. He clearly has some ability from representing his country and having good reviews at the ACON, obtaining player of the tournament, but it has been downhill since.

Problem is, that if we keep him and Billy Sharp and Gallagher, we might end up with no goals. Gallagher seems here to stay. Pelle is obviously in. Is there room for both, one or either Sharp and Mayuka? I don't think that we can have both, and Mayuka probably has more potential than Billy, not least because of his pace.

Billy Sharp, really?

Away at West Ham and Swansea and at home to Spurs in 2012/13 he looked a genuine threat with pace and acceleration causing problems, but I know he failed to impress on other occasions (I am led to believe he was terrible away at Leeds in the league cup). I thought he was worth a place on the bench and possibly a few more chances as a sub a lot more in that season. We hardly had a striker as an option.

I am not sure his close control (as probably seen a lot in five a sides) would have been deemed tidy enough for Poch (perhaps that's also the reason why Cork was given the cold shoulder by Poch), but maybe his erratic/unauthodox style could be beneficial on a match day? Or maybe he's just not good enough.

At 23 there is still time. I wonder if Koeman likes that sort of pacey erratic style attacker to compliment the neat and tidy players we have?

Edited by Chez

2012 African Cup of Nations Golden Boot winner. As we have seen at the WC, African teams aren't to be dismissed (and they were all better than England). At Young Boys he scored 32 goals in 55 appearances, so the lad has obviously got something somewhere in his locker. Just need the right person to unlock the talent.

2012 African Cup of Nations Golden Boot winner. As we have seen at the WC, African teams aren't to be dismissed (and they were all better than England). At Young Boys he scored 32 goals in 55 appearances, so the lad has obviously got something somewhere in his locker. Just need the right person to unlock the talent.

Or for him to play at his level in a suitable league.

I'll trust RK to decide if he's worth a chance in the squad.