Next Captain ?

saintoaks

Nice to see that he is "looking forward to speaking to the new manager", although I suspect that could have been to try and regain a bit of favour given the things that have been in the press about him.

Seems to have really liked Pochettino, there was an interview with him last year where he called him a "World Class Manager" (Not [yet] IMO) and I was a little disappointed he never came out and sang the praises of Adkins in the same way - the man who made him captain, let him play freely and helped his development for the two and a half years he was with us.

I really get the impression that Lallana has grown quite arrogant since the media have started hyping him up so much. I don't rate him as a £25m player - if we signed someone for £25m and he came up with 9 PL goals and 6 assists I'd be massively underwhelmed. I saw a stat around Christmas that he'd given the ball away more than any other PL player, too. He had a way of being unplayable on his day last year, but in just as many games he would be peripheral and not really turn up - but the media only ever sang his praises and so I think he has started believing his own hype just as much as the public have. I don't think that's a great quality for a Captain to have. A captain should bring the whole team together and not (appear) to believe he is the star individual. Telling for me of his attitude was that he is the only Saints player in (my) recent memory that points to his own name on his back occasionally when celebrating a goal.

With his stats in mind, too, (9 goals this year - 12 PL goals in 2 seasons, a handful of assists, losing the ball stats and occasional peripheral games) I don't like him being captain for those reasons, either. For me, a captain should be one of your most consistent players, who plays at the best of his ability every minute that he's on the pitch.

I seem to remember a game last year when Lallana and Lambert were both off the pitch the armband went to Schneiderlin. He for me would be a fantastic captain. He seems cool and collected, level headed and passionate on the pitch. His performances are consistently brilliant and he is another player that has risen with the club so he will know where we have been and would be a great example to players coming through the academy and any that we sign - another league 1 (written off on here by a lot of you guys) to the World Cup in Brazil story.

without Lalllana in midfield I'd go for Steven Davis.

A very experienced international and captain of Northern Ireland. ...I know that N.I. aren't highly-rated in the FIFA stats. but coming up the hard way is sometimes an advantage - ask Rickie.

Yes Steven Davis for me to with the added advantage that he hasn't been linked with a move away:D

I like Steven Davis, a great example to others and it seems he might actually want to stay here. The Lallana interview suggests that the desertion by the manager was a big issue but AL may also be realising that if Koeman wants to keep him there is just the matter of a binding contract which he freely signed. Maybe letting Lallana keep the captaincy could be a gesture to mend fences, so perhaps there might not be a vacancy after all.

Steven Davis is the obvious candidate. He captains NI and used to captain Rangers before making the trip south. The only real question is whether he makes the team every week. I can't fault him for effort.

Morgan. The only 1st team player following Koeman on Twitter. Don't think he is angling for a move like Shaw, lovren and lallana are so I think he is still committed to club. Articulate and charming chap so gets my vote.

Sent from my HTC One SV using Tapatalk

Exactly my feelings too. Love him to bits.

Morgan. The only 1st team player following Koeman on Twitter. Don't think he is angling for a move like Shaw, lovren and lallana are so I think he is still committed to club. Articulate and charming chap so gets my vote.

Sent from my HTC One SV using Tapatalk

Even though he's said he wants to play for a top club on at least 2 occasions you mean. He's just more dicreet than the others that's all and totally occupied with his current task just now. Might even get a game tomorrow, Cabaye is doubtful, Mavuba will probably start but Morgan might get a game after about 60 minutes or so, you never know, if not then against Ecuador when the French have already qualified. DD does like his same starting line up though.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Big Vic :D

depends if Kenya look like being able to qualify for the next ANC really, I don't think they're very good though so perhaps not. If they did it would mean us being without him for 5 or 6 weeks early next year.

Right looked it up, Kenya have a 2 legged play-off against Lesotho this summer to see who goes into the main competition, games on 19th July and 1st August. Just what we need to get our pre-season under way, presume they'll have some sort of training camp before that. So in fact when you take away all the WC players there won't be many of our top lads available at the start of pre-season training with the club, must be what about 2 weeks away now?

Edited by Window Cleaner
i