Pre-season training

Matthew Le God

Interesting to see Sharp there. Makes you realise how thin the squad is as probably only about 7 or 8 genuine first team squad players training.

Definitely need 7 or 8 additions having also lost Guly who was often on the bench.

Aside from WC players Boruc is back late as played a few games for Poland, couldn' spot anyone else missing, Osvaldo aside.

Mayuka there.

Edited by Saint Charlie

Interesting to see Sharp there. Makes you realise how thin the squad is as probably only about 7 or 8 genuine first team squad players training.

Aside from WC players Boruc is back late as played a few games for Poland, couldn' spot anyone else missing, Osvaldo aside.

Mayuka there.

Boruc got married today- hence why he isn't there.

After the gloom of the fire sale it's great that the first shot was of big Jos, it's a real lift to remember hat we still have class players at the club.

Fk off mush. It is months until Halloween. :eek:

Sharp is a great option off the bench but then that leaves Gallagher as back up, and aldo i do feel he showed some good plays last season, he needs another season of progress before he can lead the line regularly for us, maybe loan him to a Championship side.

After the gloom of the fire sale it's great that the first shot was of big Jos, it's a real lift to remember hat we still have class players at the club.

Well mopo was credited with coaching some of our team into being better players. Maybe RK can turn Jos into a better player........then we can sell him to Liverpool for 30 million next summer

I would be very disappointed if we resorted to Billy Sharp at any point next season. What benefit would we gain when we could further 'blood' Sam Gallagher instead? As far as I can tell, Gallagher has more potential and heaps more value to the club.

Edit: It's as bad as suggesting, for example, that we played Danny Fox instead of Luke Shaw at the back end of the 2012/13 season.

I would be very disappointed if we resorted to Billy Sharp at any point next season. What benefit would we gain when we could further 'blood' Sam Gallagher instead? As far as I can tell, Gallagher has more potential and heaps more value to the club.

Edit: It's as bad as suggesting, for example, that we played Danny Fox instead of Luke Shaw at the back end of the 2012/13 season.

Agree. Plus Gallagher needs time to adapt and be eased in. Ideally if Gallagher is 4th choice striker that would work well.

Hard to see where Mayuka fits, but he has better PL attributes than Sharp, if we are going to persevere with one of them.

" fire sale

noun

a sale, as of assets, at reduced prices, in order to raise money quickly."

FFS. The board can't even do THAT properly.

A reminder of how threadbare the squad really is. Will probs be made captain seeing as how he is Dutch.

Agree. Plus Gallagher needs time to adapt and be eased in. Ideally if Gallagher is 4th choice striker that would work well.

Hard to see where Mayuka fits, but he has better PL attributes than Sharp, if we are going to persevere with one of them.

Probably as a last 15 minutes sub to run at tired defenders from what little I've seen he has got pace to burn and goes to ground in the penalty box well...of course with no lambert not sure who will take the pens

Probably as a last 15 minutes sub to run at tired defenders from what little I've seen he has got pace to burn and goes to ground in the penalty box well...of course with no lambert not sure who will take the pens

Tadic and Pelle both take pens. Tadic looks to have a great technique.

Billy sharp has scored 146 goals in his career to Sam gallaghers 1. He's a natural goalscorer

It has every bit of relevance as sharps a proven goalscorer and gallagher isn't anything close. In terms of current goal scoring ability Sharp trashes him

Gallagher has scored more Premier League goals than Billy Sharp... :p

At the start of 2012/13, Danny Fox was the most experienced left back at the club, I'm sure your glad we replaced him with a 17 year old aren't you?

Edited by Matthew Le God

Gallagher has scored more Premier League goals than Billy Sharp... :p

At the start of 2012/13, Danny Fox was the most experienced left back at the club, I'm sure your glad we replaced him with 17 year old Luke Shaw aren't you?

Yes very good. Lets pick all of our first team based on youth over current ability and chuck Gazzaniga in goal too. Well be awesome in ten years

Yes very good. Lets pick all of our first team based on youth over current ability and chuck Gazzaniga in goal too. Well be awesome in ten years

I'd be happy to see Gallagher as 4th or 5th choice striker as I can see the potential in him, but I don't see a future for Sharp at Saints because if we want to maintain a top half Premier League finish we need better senior strikers. He's been through a lot in his personal life and scored some important goals in the Championship for us, but I think people are being too sentimental if they think we should be using him in our squad next season. We should be looking to improve the depth of our squad and bring through quality youngsters by having a pathway, using Sharp does neither of those things.

How do you know? His record certainly warrants a chance even if it is coming off the bench. It'd do no harm whatsoever to give him half hour in a couple of early games to see if he's up to scratch.

He wasn't up to scratch for a relegated Doncaster last season. Do we really need to waste an hour or so of game time?

How do you know? His record certainly warrants a chance even if it is coming off the bench. It'd do no harm whatsoever to give him half hour in a couple of early games to see if he's up to scratch.

Then what when we realise he isn't and that Jay isnt back til Christmas? Do you really think Sharp will suddenly become PL quality after not getting into the Reading, Forest and Donny starting teams on a regular basis?

Subs need to change the game, he would weaken the side.

I'd be happy to see Gallagher as 4th or 5th choice striker as I can see the potential in him, but I don't see a future for Sharp at Saints because if we want to maintain a top half Premier League finish we need better senior strikers. He's been through a lot in his personal life and scored some important goals in the Championship for us, but I think people are being too sentimental if they think we should be using him in our squad next season. We should be looking to improve the depth of our squad and bring through quality youngsters by having a pathway, using Sharp does neither of those things.

Of course, I completely agree with the principle of that but just happen to think Gallagher isn't going to make it as a premiership striker and sharp would score more goals given the same amount of game time. Ideally I'd rather we had the quality to use neither

Players have been known to step up a level. Anybody think of same recent Saints examples?

Nobody is saying Billy should start in the PL, just that , as he is on the books, he might be worth giving a chance during pre season.Sometimes pays off.

Anybody with a good eye for the academy lads and a bit of time want to make notes on who is in pre-season with the seniors?

I know it is not entirely reflective as our squad will change in the coming weeks but will be nice to know who is around the first team.

Some of the photos of the training ground look like those computer generated ones that MLG used to throw around when people dared questioned the clubs ambition

It does look pretty smart though, it has to be said.

Wonder when the club will put out a video giving the grand tour of the entire finish facility?

Anybody with a good eye for the academy lads and a bit of time want to make notes on who is in pre-season with the seniors?

I know it is not entirely reflective as our squad will change in the coming weeks but will be nice to know who is around the first team.

"Younger" players at 1st team training today...

James Ward-Prowse

Callum Chambers

Matthew Targett

Omar Rowe

Harrison Reed

Sam Gallagher

Jake Sinclair

Cody Cropper

Paulo Gazzaniga

Jack Stephens

Jordan Turnbull

Sam McQueen

Lloyd Isgrove

Edited by Matthew Le God

"Younger" players at 1st team training today...

James Ward-Prowse

Callum Chambers

Matthew Targett

Omar Rowe

Harrison Reed

Sam Gallagher

Jake Sinclair

Cody Cropper

Paulo Gazzaniga

Jack Stephens

Jordan Turnbull

Sam McQueen