Things could be worse - your memories of 2007-2009

whizzpop

Just looked through a few past programmes whilst clearing out the spare room and came across some from 2007-08 and 2008-09 season and had completely forgotten some of the players that played for us albeit a handful of games.

Gems such as

Ian Pearce

Christian Dailly

Stephen O'Halloran

Alan Bennett

Phil Ifil

Chris Lucketti

Youssef Safri

Oliver Lancashire

Our defence was sure was ropey back then

What are your lasting memories from 5-7 years ago?

I remember being excited by the signing of Ifil, saw it as a coup.

Umm, never mind.

Safri could have been good, but was a bit of a waste of money in an area we didn't need to add to at the time. If I remember, Burley had a bit of a thing for CM's.

Sheffield Wednesday 5-0 Saints

"Brazil, It's just like watching Brazil......"

And the similar, if yet more unpleasant 5-0 thrashing at Hull.

Didn't we do them 4-0 at an earlier point in the year as well? We were such an all over the place side that year. We clearly had some good players, as shown by the fact that a few stuck around to contribute to our rise, but we were so hot and cold it was crazy. The risk of going all youth I expect.

looking back I think the starting game in 07-08 was the start of the downfall.

A 4-1 loss to Crystal Palace with the back five of Bartosz, Ostlund, Bennett, Makin and Vignal.:blush:

That back 4, what the hell. Bennett was made to look like a joke player, Jamie Scowcroft just tore him to bits all afternoon. And playing Makin at CB didn't help.

We'd lost baird that summer, as well as Craine and Claus long-term...

Losing 2-1 to Sheffield United was a ****ing low point.

Only 13,000 could be bothered to turn up, atmosphere was terrible, it was freezing, we were unlucky to be losing 1-0, dominated the second half, thought we got a deserved point with a last minute Surman goal only for them to go straight up the other end and make it 2-1. I can't explain how gutted I was when I saw Ward's shot go in.

That back 4, what the hell. Bennett was made to look like a joke player, Jamie Scowcroft just tore him to bits all afternoon. And playing Makin at CB didn't help.

Yeah, we were left with just Ostlund and Bartosz/Davis from the previous season's defence. It kind of has echo's of this coming season - as Bale, Kenwyne, Baird, Cranie, Viafara and Best all left that Summer

I do remember Bennett slowly growing into his role though despite his truly appalling first game. Up at Coventry (a 1-1 draw...) he was absolutely imperious and saved us from losing, keeping nearly every Coventry break down with some excellent and brave tackling.

And then his loan expired.

Charlton at SMS tail end of 08-09 season took my son to his first ever game (thought it might be his only saints game to be fair). We weren't relegated at that point IIRC but Charlton where. Bucket rattling by Lawrie Mac and Crouch before the game followed by saints being smashed by a really crap Charlton side......although BWP did actually score a really good goal:scared:

Indeed, and Burley thought the best way to solve our severe shortage in defence was to sign a load of midfielders.

I seem to remember Jason Euell played at CB that year as well

Charlton at SMS tail end of 08-09 season took my son to his first ever game (thought it might be his only saints game to be fair). We weren't relegated at that point IIRC but Charlton where. Bucket rattling by Lawrie Mac and Crouch before the game followed by saints being smashed by a really crap Charlton side......although BWP did actually score a really good goal:scared:

Yes, I remember that. A certain Jonjo Shelvey ran the show up top and scored a couple.

Bloody hell the 2008-09 season games on wiki make grim reading:?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008%E2%80%9309_Southampton_F.C._season

10 wins, that was a looooong seaon. Funnily enough of that team a fair few of the younger players have gone on to carve out decent careers for themselves in football, nothing spectacular but decent. Who would have guessed David Mc Goaldrought would turn into such a ruthless Championship finisher. (Yes I know about Lallana, Morgs and Dyer I was talking about the less obvious stars).

Edited by farawaysaint

Bloody hell the 2008-09 season games on wiki make grim reading:?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008%E2%80%9309_Southampton_F.C._season

Grim indeed, I remember feeling quite optimistic at the start though, as I thought we had a couple of hard luck stories first 2 games - pushed 2 of the top 6 clubs all the way, then we did Derby on their own patch - that should have been 4/5-0 for what it's worth, best performance of the season bar none.

proud to be ,with 2 sons, one of the 14000 that stuck by the club, handing over my hard earned cash to watch a pile of sh*t.

hated the fact that the talking points were of the pitch

i still look round me at SMS and think where were you a few years back to some of the people sat by us,sad i know but mouthy JCL wind me up

Grim indeed, I remember feeling quite optimistic at the start though, as I thought we had a couple of hard luck stories first 2 games - pushed 2 of the top 6 clubs all the way, then we did Derby on their own patch - that should have been 4/5-0 for what it's worth, best performance of the season bar none.

I remember thinking the Dutch guys playing total football with youth players seemed like a good move at the time :mcinnes:

Seem to remember pre-season being quite promising and then it went down hill pretty soon after that.

Edited by doddisalegend

Preston away is still one of my fav away trips.

I remember thinking the Dutch guys playing total football with youth players seemed like a good move at the :mcinnes:

Seem to remember pre-season being quite promising and then it went down hill pretty soon after that.

That's why I think some are a bit nervous about this pre-season!! If we ever hear Koeman say ''the young boysh did well'' then we know we have issues.

Just looked through a few past programmes whilst clearing out the spare room and came across some from 2007-08 and 2008-09 season and had completely forgotten some of the players that played for us albeit a handful of games.

Gems such as

Ian Pearce

Christian Dailly

Stephen O'Halloran

Alan Bennett

Phil Ifil

Chris Lucketti

Youssef Safri

Oliver Lancashire

Our defence was sure was ropey back then

What are your lasting memories from 5-7 years ago?

Harsh on Dailly, Lucketti and Safri who all did a good job for us.

Barnsley at home, 2-0 down, managed to turn it around and equalise in the 90th minute only for them to go straight back up the other end and score in the dying seconds to win the game 3-2.

Absolutely mortified at the time, probably that game and Leeds at Home 2005 when we were 3-0 up only to lose 4-3 are probably my worst ever Saints related memories from that period.

Going up to Blackpool and sitting in a roof-less stand for 90 minutes in the pouring rain getting absolutely drenched was not much fun either, at least we didn't lose that game. Oh and Jermaine Wright hahahahahaha :facepalm:

Losing 2-1 to Sheffield United was a ****ing low point.

Only 13,000 could be bothered to turn up, atmosphere was terrible, it was freezing, we were unlucky to be losing 1-0, dominated the second half, thought we got a deserved point with a last minute Surman goal only for them to go straight up the other end and make it 2-1. I can't explain how gutted I was when I saw Ward's shot go in.

That was my low point. I came home that night really wondering why I bothered.

Walking out of Hillsborough at 3-0 and hearing the roar of the crowd for their 4th and 5th goals as I waited for the tram home, then getting the inevitable bombardment of gloating texts from all my Wednesday supporting mates. I've seen us lose heavily plenty of times in the past, but watching a completely average team carve us open time and again the way Wednesday did that day was probably my lowest point as a Saints fan.

I do remember Bennett slowly growing into his role though despite his truly appalling first game. Up at Coventry (a 1-1 draw...) he was absolutely imperious and saved us from losing, keeping nearly every Coventry break down with some excellent and brave tackling.

And then his loan expired.

Following on from your Calum Davenport admission yesterday I'm wondering if something happens to you when you enter Coventrys stadium which makes you lose all comprehension of what makes a good defender ;-)

Agent Bennett my Reading mate nicknamed old Alan.

Burley well and truly shafted us with the dross he signed.

The 2-1 away win at Reading was a highlight with Poorvfliet (spelling lol?). We played like Barca that day.

looking back I think the starting game in 07-08 was the start of the downfall.

A 4-1 loss to Crystal Palace with the back five of Bartosz, Ostlund, Bennett, Makin and Vignal.:blush:

For me it was Scowcroft scoring a hat-trick in this match, and a game at home to Barnsley where we got a late equaliser through Idiakez to make it 2-2, only for Barnsley to go up the other end and make it 3-2 - not sure of the latter was 07/08 or 08/09.

Agent Bennett my Reading mate nicknamed old Alan.

Burley well and truly shafted us with the dross he signed.

The 2-1 away win at Reading was a highlight with Poorvfliet (spelling lol?). We played like Barca that day.

Whiskey George then went and signed Wayne Thomas for £1.2m, beating Coventrys bid by £1m :lol::lol: :mcinnes:

Following on from your Calum Davenport admission yesterday I'm wondering if something happens to you when you enter Coventrys stadium which makes you lose all comprehension of what makes a good defender ;-)

I swear... on that Saturday he had the game of his life! Ha! Bradley Wright-Phillips on the other hand, born offside..... more-so even then Papa Waigo.

Whiskey George then went and signed Wayne Thomas for £1.2m, beating Coventrys bid by £1m :lol::lol: :mcinnes:

To be fair, I liked Wayne Thomas - not the most talented footballer, but solid as f**k.

Good, solid, hard centre back - someone able to rough it up and with a good foot to pull the ball in to row z or up in the mixer.

To be fair, I liked Wayne Thomas - not the most talented footballer, but solid as f**k.

Good, solid, hard centre back - someone able to rough it up and with a good foot to pull the ball in to row z or up in the mixer.

I didn't mind him either, but in hindsight its hilarious we outbid Coventry by £1m for a £1.2m signing. Who signed that one off. Bet Burnley couldn't believe their eyes when the bid came through.

Edited by Turkish

I didn't mind him either, but in hindsight its hilarious we outbid Coventry by £1m for a £1.2m signing. Who signed that one off. Bet Burnley couldn't beeline their eyes when the bid came through.

That was burnley's sale of the decade, I'd have thought. We were desperate, they had us over a barrel.

I didn't mind him either, but in hindsight its hilarious we outbid Coventry by £1m for a £1.2m signing. Who signed that one off. Bet Burnley couldn't beeline their eyes when the bid came through.

He was one of the players I liked (along with Dailly) in a bloody awful season, saw some atrocious football. Doesn't feel like 5 years ago, feels much longer!!

Saints 0-2 Notts Forest.

They were one of very few teams actually below us at that point but we could've played all day and not scored. From that point I knew we were as good as down. Watching McGoldrick playing as a clueless targetman all game was painful. We were beyond awful that day.

Can remember feeling pretty hopeful about Schneiderlin, Holmes and the return of Killer at the start of the dutch duo's season, some good performances against Birmingham and Wolves i think early on. But it all became very depressing very quickly. The Burnley game at the end sticks with me most though. Very strange and surreal atmosphere that day. Wasn't sure what was going to happen after that.

Saints 0-2 Notts Forest.

They were one of very few teams actually below us at that point but we could've played all day and not scored. From that point I knew we were as good as down. Watching McGoldrick playing as a clueless targetman all game was painful. We were beyond awful that day.

The game with the wonder goal? (for them).