Jose Fonte (Cardiff fan)

King Cornelius

Once Lovren has been sold to Liverhampton which is pretty much a forgone conclusion We only have three recognised center backs in Fonte, Yoshi and Hooiveld! The last two are completely inadeqate at this level so even if we were to buy two more center backs (which is a big if) we would still need Fonte as cover! To suggest we should sell him is absolute madness!!!!!!

Funny how the totally inadequate Yoshi was a regular in the side that stayed up.

I'm not advocating him being first choice. But he isn't that bad

'He' has allegedly turned down a new two year contract

This seems to be the rumour going around.

He turned down a new deal and wants to leave.

If true I am sure it's just a case of him wanting to fulfil his ambition of playing at a bigger club going for trophies. Isn't that the excuse people have wheeled out for everyone wanting to leave?

If true I am sure it's just a case of him wanting to fulfil his ambition of playing at a bigger club going for trophies. Isn't that the excuse people have wheeled out for everyone wanting to leave?

Welsh Cup, don't come much bigger than that trophy wise.

Obviously none of you guys read the Echo a couple of days ago when they reported that he was about to be given a new contract and made on-field Captain by RK which seems to have been more a tip off than speculation.

Would you even contemplate moving to a tin pot Championship team that would drop you like a hot potato the minute they ever got a sniff at the PL again, which of course they won't.

Jose, he ain't going nowhere.

So from being captain two days ago - http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/11358336.Fonte_in_line_for_Saints_captaincy/ - to being sold off to Cardiff. I must say that I am a little confused as to what is going on.

You are not alone, still there's probably not much factual base for any of it. As I see it Lallana,Lambert,Shaw,Lovren,Schneiderlin and Osvaldo out, Gaston if we can find a buyer. All the rest stay put, including the crap which we wish they wouldn't.

Have they? I think most people are saying it's because players are chasing £££££. The rumours are Cardiff will offer him a longer deal on more money. Good luck to him if so, he's at an age now where the extra year or two offered is significant. Despite what everyone on here is saying, he's very replaceable if the funds are given to the manager to spend

Have they? I think most people are saying it's because players are chasing £££££. The rumours are Cardiff will offer him a longer deal on more money. Good luck to him if so, he's at an age now where the extra year or two offered is significant. Despite what everyone on here is saying, he's very replaceable if the funds are given to the manager to spend

so, but almost a whole new team in pre season?

do very well to stay up at this rate

According to Wales online http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/cardiff-city-target-jos-fonte-7504708

Yoshida is not inadequate at this level. When he plays consistently he rarely lets us down, Jos on the other hand....

Completely disagree. Yoshida has been useless in the Prem more often than he's been good, and was utterly awful at the World Cup in EVERY match too.

Don't necessarily disagree about Fonte, but the part in bold is a bit of a flawed point, and I hope Reed does not fall into this trap.

Even if we rake in £5m we still have to find and more importantly buy a replacement. There are probably plenty of players equal to or better than JF, but attracting them, and then persuading them to sign is not easy, and is an area we may struggle on.

We don't need an extra £5m in the coffers we need a CB, or two.

It would be good if we also retain some players who will help retain the spirit in the dressing room, Fonte for one, Cork as another , and hopefully Morgan too.

Edited by Badger

Welsh Cup, don't come much bigger than that trophy wise.

Cardiff haven't played in the Welsh Cup for 18 years. They were invited in 2011 but declined, and UEFA have since clarified that clubs based in Wales who play in English competitions can only qualify for Europe through English competitions, so there's no point in them entering (and the FAW are more than happy to be represented by crappy clubs playing in their poxy competitions).

I just can't see him leaving,he seems to love won't get a better offer than playing for us (no disrespect to Cardiff) and like mentioned he is 30 now,he should take the contract we have offered become captain and see out his career with us.

All these people saying he's allegedly turned down a new contract, that rumour came from the f**king Daily Star, why are you all so gullible?

The Telegraph reported it today as well:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/southampton/10989890/Cardiff-make-move-for-Southampton-defender-Jose-Fonte.html

I can't see him leaving, and there's certainly nothing to suggest we'll sell. He probably wants better terms, though it's possible he wants to run down his contract and be free to choose a new club next summer.

Edited by DuncanRG

I know we get a lot of the 'that's just my opinion and i'm entitled to it' stuff, but that's not an opinion. He has categorically shown he is a premiership standard centre half. he played most games for one of the better defences in the premier league in the most current season and consistently performed well.

On what basis is he not a premiership standard centre half?! utterly bizarre.

'Utterly bizarre' would be Fonte running naked down the mutant mile. This is just a football opinion which you can take or leave. I won't be offended if you leave mine.

Obviously none of you guys read the Echo a couple of days ago when they reported that he was about to be given a new contract and made on-field Captain by RK which seems to have been more a tip off than speculation.

Would you even contemplate moving to a tin pot Championship team that would drop you like a hot potato the minute they ever got a sniff at the PL again, which of course they won't.

Jose, he ain't going nowhere.

**** me you're a barrel of laughs. Of course we'll be back in the Prem. We've arguably signed a better main striker than you for christ's sake. Javi Guerra, he scored 15 La Liga goals for a relegated Valladolid side. The same amount as Bale. Whereas your new signing had a similar season to Jozy Altidore before he went to Sunderland.

**** me you're a barrel of laughs. Of course we'll be back in the Prem. We've arguably signed a better main striker than you for christ's sake. Javi Guerra, he scored 15 La Liga goals for a relegated Valladolid side. The same amount as Bale. Whereas your new signing had a similar season to Jozy Altidore before he went to Sunderland.

50 odd goals in 2 seasons!?

Ok, guess the championship will be a breeze

Didn't take you long to get to the Premier League last time I suppose.

Nerves are a bit stretched on here at the mo KC.

All transfers are a risk. All we can do is see how they pan out.

As for Fonte? I don't think he'll leave but hey, everyone else seems to be leaving so who knows!

If I were a Cardiff fan I'd be more concerned with getting rid of the mentalist Tan.

Good luck for the season.

So he's only played in the Spanish top division for the last three years....and he's 32......lol.

After all, KL is only asset stripping before selling up..

You don't understand valuations and the way companies work. She can't just take out a big bag of money, all that is happening at the moment us that we have converted some assets into liquid cash, the value is essentially unchanged, perhaps higher than it was because we have received unexpected/unrealistic prices for these assets.

You don't understand valuations and the way companies work. She can't just take out a big bag of money, all that is happening at the moment us that we have converted some assets into liquid cash, the value is essentially unchanged, perhaps higher than it was because we have received unexpected/unrealistic prices for these assets.

I hate to burst your bubble but I happen to know how to run a business perfectly well thank you. £1m growth last year with 24% increase of operating income pretty much means my acumen isn't in question. Did I mention the MBA I'm working towards to?

All chest pumping aside, none of us haven't got a clue what the intentions are. What we both agree on is turning £1m of depreciating assets into £5m (Fonte) and £8m into £20m is great business (salaries obviously not included). If the club are to continue in the EPL then reinvestment is needed.

I hate to burst your bubble but I happen to know how to run a business perfectly well thank you. £1m growth last year with 24% increase of operating income pretty much means my acumen isn't in question. Did I mention the MBA I'm working towards to?

All chest pumping aside, none of us haven't got a clue what the intentions are. What we both agree on is turning £1m of depreciating assets into £5m (Fonte) and £8m into £20m is great business (salaries obviously not included). If the club are to continue in the EPL then reinvestment is needed.

Double negatives aside, I agree, this would be great business but it's not asset-stripping.

And for the record, we do have unlimited cash - just depends on what level of interest the club wish to pay to achieve their prospective ROI. Cash isn't as king-like as it may have been in the past. Assets vs liabilities = net worth is how the majority of business are judged for credit and if we keep stripping assets and she converts those shareholder loans into cash in her own pocket???

Plenty of people with more experience than me can add a much more structured argument but that's my tuppence worth.

And for the record, we do have unlimited cash - just depends on what level of interest the club wish to pay to achieve their prospective ROI. Cash isn't as king-like as it may have been in the past. Assets vs liabilities = net worth is how the majority of business are judged for credit and if we keep stripping assets and she converts those shareholder loans into cash in her own pocket???

Plenty of people with more experience than me can add a much more structured argument but that's my tuppence worth.

What shareholder loans? My understanding was that we are not structured that way.

What shareholder loans? My understanding was that we are not structured that way.

Weren't the shareholder loans converted to shares or similar? She can certainly take it back when she wants.

Companies that are structured like this are funded by their shareholders who generally work on an ROI of 19% or similar. Therefore every pound the club use of their funds, they repay £1.19 irrespective of profits as it's taken repaid before tax.

Weren't the shareholder loans converted to shares or similar? She can certainly take it back when she wants.

Companies that are structured like this are funded by their shareholders who generally work on an ROI of 19% or similar. Therefore every pound the club use of their funds, they repay £1.19 irrespective of profits as it's taken repaid before tax.

Yes, debt was converted into equity, but nobody genuinely knows what's happening at SFC regards dividends, if any.

Yes, debt was converted into equity, but nobody genuinely knows what's happening at SFC regards dividends, if any.

Dividends? There's more to business than dividends! That's an almost small minded business mentality of paying yourself below the tax thresholds and earn dividends??

This isn't a personal swipe at you by the way, I'm just trying to be informative.

You're lucky, I'm typing on an iPhone in our caravan in the middle of France.

I'm on my iphone with 5% battery on the sofa with a belly full of pizza while missus is out with friends. I forgot how peaceful the house is when she's not here!

Enjoy France Whitey.

'None of us haven't'

Sorry, that's a bit petty of me at this time of night.

I'm still fuming about 'towards to', although I think it was an MLG 'can you not/do you not' that set me off.http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=8Gv0H-vPoDc

I'm still fuming about 'towards to', although I think it was an MLG 'can you not/do you not' that set me off.http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=8Gv0H-vPoDc

Fuming? On an Internet forum? 'Working toward' 'studying for'.

There, Xanax not needed ;-)