Jose Fonte (Cardiff fan)

King Cornelius

He left a championship club and joined a league 1 club

They might offer him the armband and a 4 year deal on maybe even more money than he is on now

That is a good point. Can't see him opting to leave for anything less than obscene money myself though. Or if the club says his time is up of course. Hope they don't, especially with the other uncertainties.

I would hope Jose would see the potential benefit of working under one of the best central defenders of the past 30 years.

Agreed.....although the fee was ..." £4 million....PLUS add-ons."...no-one has come out and stated what the " adds-on " amount to ....?

(one of the first stories that emerged on the Lambert deal stated that the fee was .." between £8-10 million ", this was subsequently " reduced " to £4 million.....

if there are to be hefty payments for each appearance... or on goal tally - that could make a very big difference in the next two years)

I rather suspect he won't get much of either in Scouseland.

"Sources in Hampshire suggest Fonte is unhappy that he has not been offered a new deal and would not be against a move to ambitious Cardiff City."

I do hope this wasn't me and a colleague. We were in a pub near Basingstoke, taking Saints. My friend said he thought Fonte might be unsettled by with the Lovren situation he was surprised the club hadn't nailed Jose down for at least another 2 years. I thought the guy at the bar in the raincoat looked a bit suspicious and he might even have had a Welsh accent.

Now emerging that we (Cardiff) have put an improved offer of 4m in for Fonte. Considering he only has one year left do you think you would sell?

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/cardiff-city-transfer-news-southampton-7421892

Highly unlikely given that there's no reason he'd want to play in Championship when he's first choice at Saints, and there's every possibility we'll be losing Lovren, the covering players aren't quite up to Prem standard, and we would want some stability in the centre back positions. Makes no sense for us to let both go and build from scratch.

I didn't say that. The fact he wanted to go was a factor in his price though.

Along with many others. Age, length of contract left, contribution to the team, potential contribution to the buying team, etc etc.

Considered together means £4m is reasonable for Rickie but not Fonte

I don't think it is. Bale, Ronaldo and Suarez all wanted to leave and they are the most expensive players in history. Bale wouldn't have gone for £100m if he had wanted to stay at Spurs.

Wages might be affected by how much a player wants to go. Rickie for example would probably play for Liverpool on minimum wage.

I don't think it is. Bale, Ronaldo and Suarez all wanted to leave and they are the most expensive players in history. Bale wouldn't have gone for £100m if he had wanted to stay at Spurs.

Wages might be affected by how much a player wants to go. Rickie for example would probably play for Liverpool on minimum wage.

Just because their price is high doesn't mean it is unaffected by their wish to leave.

Of course, if a player is dead set against leaving, very little will entice them away. But if they make it clear that they wish to leave, the selling club is in a much poorer negotiating position.

Pretty much on the fence regarding this. At his age 4m isn't a bad price. Good servant who was very solid last year for the most part.

Cardiff may be happy offering him the length of contract that we may not be happy doing considering his age.

Of the two players with contracts rolling down, Cork is the one i desperately want to see sign a new one.

If he signs a new deal great, if he goes, he goes with my best wishes.

Just because their price is high doesn't mean it is unaffected by their wish to leave.

Of course, if a player is dead set against leaving, very little will entice them away. But if they make it clear that they wish to leave, the selling club is in a much poorer negotiating position.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree on that. A player can want to leave all he wants, he is still under contract and there is no obligation what so ever for the parent club to sell. Just look at Shaw, he wanted to leave and we made Man Utd pay an obscene amount of money for him.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree on that. A player can want to leave all he wants, he is still under contract and there is no obligation what so ever for the parent club to sell. Just look at Shaw, he wanted to leave and we made Man Utd pay an obscene amount of money for him.

It does seem we won't meet a consensus.

There is of course no obligation to sell if the club don't want to , but they may then be left with a player who is not playing for the club. Bit of a rock and hard place, but do you take the transfer fee now or pay his wages for a few years and lose him for nothing. With the amount of money in the game, the club's hand is a little forced. Obligation? no, commercial pressure? yes.

If Shaw didn't want to leave, we wouldn't have sold.

Shaw did want to leave so we sold him for anywhere between £27m and £35m depending on whose bullship you believe.

So you have the fact that a player wanted to leave has changed the price...from not for any amount to whatever we sold him for. The more the player acts out, the more it affects it (I'm thinking specifically about Osvaldo). I don't expect you'll agree, but like you say, we'll have to agree to disagree.

It's very rare to have a Bale/Suarez level transfer where the player is sold against his will, so it's a bit of a false argument.

In fact, if we were skint it would be more likely we would have to sell, say, Shaw to somewhere he didn't want to go, who happened to offer more and we were obliged to take it.

It's very rare to have a Bale/Suarez level transfer where the player is sold against his will, so it's a bit of a false argument.

In fact, if we were skint it would be more likely we would have to sell, say, Shaw to somewhere he didn't want to go, who happened to offer more and we were obliged to take it.

eg Andrew Surman?

• 2 weeks later...
No we wouldn't be. We need him especially if we lose lovren.

He's not a premiership standard centre half and he's 30. I don't think being short at the back (maybe) today is a good excuse for not taking a great offer for someone who isn't worth close to that much when we have time to get a replacement or two in of better quality.

He's not a premiership standard centre half and he's 30. I don't think being short at the back (maybe) today is a good excuse for not taking a great offer for someone who isn't worth close to that much when we have time to get a replacement or two in of better quality.

apart from the fact, he clearly is

30 is his prime ffs

Of course he is Premiership standard. He might not be right out of the top drawer but he is comfortably good enough for the PL at the moment. £5m might be a reasonable fee, but it is not in our interests to remove yet another player from the squad just because of that. We are not desperate for money.

what good would the £5m do?

Ooh I dunno, you could add a couple of million to it and try buying Chiriches (for example). Or someone else.

I'm not suggesting that it is as easy as popping down the shop and buying a 10p mix up but I think £5M is a great offer which we should accept and use for a younger replacement with decent resale value in 3 or 4 years time.

Ooh I dunno, you could add a couple of million to it and try buying Chiriches (for example). Or someone else.

I'm not suggesting that it is as easy as popping down the shop and buying a 10p mix up but I think £5M is a great offer which we should accept and use for a younger replacement with decent resale value in 3 or 4 years time.

Meanwhile, on planet earth.....

So many things wrong with this post. Perhaps a blessing you don't post much.

What the fck use is any money for Fonte? We have plenty, 4m, even something daft like 6m doesn't get us a premier league quality consistent CB we all know and love!

Utter madness to let him leave. Lovren fair enough, top players are dicks most the time and force moves. Fonte clearly won't do better than a team like saints, he likes it here, the fans love him, he's proven his quality.

I'm still perplexed as to why he and cork haven't been given contracts.

I'm sorry but he isn't quality and he's not 'proven'. He has proven he can just about get by, but he puts us in the cart too easily, too often and costs us points. I completely agree that he is a top, top bloke who bleeds red and white, and I love him for it (Fonte? He can come round my house anytime) but.......he just isn't good enough in my opinion. I wish I thought he was, but I don't.

The Wolff ‏@EikremOverYou 13m

Seems Fonte wants to leave the sinking ship that is #saintsfc, who can blame him. We are a bigger club than them

I suppose the one good thing about the sales that we have made this summer is that our players are only going to much bigger clubs, like Liverpool, Manchester United, and erm...Cardiff...

I'm sorry but he isn't quality and he's not 'proven'. He has proven he can just about get by, but he puts us in the cart too easily, too often and costs us points. I completely agree that he is a top, top bloke who bleeds red and white, and I love him for it (Fonte? He can come round my house anytime) but.......he just isn't good enough in my opinion. I wish I thought he was, but I don't.

Compared to the regular mistakes made by Hooiveld and Yoshida in the Prem, Fonte is relatively mistake-free. Admittedly he's benefited from being alongside Lovren, but that didn't bring any great improvement in the other two. Fonte is comfortably good enough to be a starting Prem CB, though a different partner might be a problem.

In normal circumstances I'd probably say we should consider the offer, but at the moment he could be the ONLY Prem CB we have, so we should definitely keep him - and should do so unless we sign two significantly better CBs and keep Lovren. Even as 3rd choice (I wish) he's worth keeping in preference to getting £5m with which we couldn't buy an equivalent replacement, and there's always the chance of extending his contract.

Compared to the regular mistakes made by Hooiveld and Yoshida in the Prem, Fonte is relatively mistake-free. Admittedly he's benefited from being alongside Lovren, but that didn't bring any great improvement in the other two. Fonte is comfortably good enough to be a starting Prem CB, though a different partner might be a problem.

In normal circumstances I'd probably say we should consider the offer, but at the moment he could be the ONLY Prem CB we have, so we should definitely keep him - and should do so unless we sign two significantly better CBs and keep Lovren. Even as 3rd choice (I wish) he's worth keeping in preference to getting £5m with which we couldn't buy an equivalent replacement, and there's always the chance of extending his contract.

I don't mind Fonte apart from the constant bear hugging that will bring the odd penalty against us from time to time but he's coming to the end of the road and should be replaced sooner rather than later. However obtaining 2 PL class CBs in 2 weeks may well be difficult and the academy players certainly won't fill the gap as of yet.

TBF Jos was excellent in our championship year he would be a good signing for a team at that level.

Very surprised a championship club hasn't tried to sign him. As you say he was a major reason we got promoted. Perhaps the televised own goals have put them off. He'd be a great signing for someone or if not he will do just fine for us as 4th choice.

Very surprised a championship club hasn't tried to sign him. As you say he was a major reason we got promoted. Perhaps the televised own goals have put them off. He'd be a great signing for someone or if not he will do just fine for us as 4th choice.

but he's going on 3 years older now. Don't want to see him in a first team shirt ever again.

What good has the 60 million £ so far done? Not to mention the initial 35 million "war chest". think we're going for 100 million £ in sales myself, nice round figure, then again so was zero, what it should have been.

Did you come to this decision before or after you decided that none of our players would be sold for over £20m?

I don't mind Fonte apart from the constant bear hugging that will bring the odd penalty against us from time to time but he's coming to the end of the road and should be replaced sooner rather than later. However obtaining 2 PL class CBs in 2 weeks may well be difficult and the academy players certainly won't fill the gap as of yet.

He's THIRTY and a centre back, he's got at least 2 years at the current level and could potentially go another 4 without too much trouble, not that we shouldn't be looking to replace all players with better at all times.

What the fck use is any money for Fonte? We have plenty, 4m, even something daft like 6m doesn't get us a premier league quality consistent CB we all know and love!

Utter madness to let him leave. Lovren fair enough, top players are dicks most the time and force moves. Fonte clearly won't do better than a team like saints, he likes it here, the fans love him, he's proven his quality.

I'm still perplexed as to why he and cork haven't been given contracts.

'He' has allegedly turned down a new two year contract

He's THIRTY and a centre back, he's got at least 2 years at the current level and could potentially go another 4 without too much trouble, not that we shouldn't be looking to replace all players with better at all times.

Only the really good ones go on to that sort of age. He's a decent centre half and has proven he is capable at Prem level. BUT he's 30, has one or two years left at best and 5 million would be a great price for him as long as we invest the money well.

If we replaced Shaw, Lovren and Fonte with De Vrij, Rojo, Van Dijk and 30 million profit we'll have done excellent business. That's the key to everything that's going on this summer. We're getting excellent fees for players and IF we invest the money well we could look back and say this was a great summer for us.

If...

Once Lovren has been sold to Liverhampton which is pretty much a forgone conclusion We only have three recognised center backs in Fonte, Yoshi and Hooiveld! The last two are completely inadeqate at this level so even if we were to buy two more center backs (which is a big if) we would still need Fonte as cover! To suggest we should sell him is absolute madness!!!!!!

Once Lovren has been sold to Liverhampton which is pretty much a forgone conclusion We only have three recognised center backs in Fonte, Yoshi and Hooiveld! The last two are completely inadeqate at this level so even if we were to buy two more center backs (which is a big if) we would still need Fonte as cover! To suggest we should sell him is absolute madness!!!!!!

Yoshida is not inadequate at this level. When he plays consistently he rarely lets us down, Jos on the other hand....