Koemans new squad.

scotty

This is very much as I see it and if we get those 4-5 players I think we will have a very bright future. Koeman is no idiot and knows what he is doing. It could turn out to be very exciting but it's not fashionable to have that view on here - too many pee stained underpants being thrown around.

If Arsenal want to pay 16m for a kid with 20 odd starts to his name and pay him 50-60k per week then I'm afraid it's they who are ****ing mental.

Hypo's response to your post was unnecessary, but as you'll have picked up already he is a viewed by most people as a bit of a ***t.

And only 5 wins from his 22 games.

Would not associate the squad with Koeman as he clearly isn't responsible for signing or selling players.

So two (relatively) unknown players being signed from clubs he has been associated with in Holland can't be attributed to him, and it was purely a coincidence that we signed them? Really?? :?

Has anyone else on here considered the possibility that Les Reeds words about no players leaving, except on our own terms and because we wished them to leave, might have been accurate? And that the slew of players being shipped out at very high prices may have been initiated by RK, in order to allow him to build his own squad rather than work with what he was bequeathed? :suspicious:

100% YES.

The worst problem in football is managers' coming in and having to " cope " with a squad of long-contracted players who " weren't quite good enough " and couldn't quite cut it for the previous guy !

Whilst we were all glorying over our best League placement since **** and our highest points tally etc, (I was one of them ) ....did we stop to ask ourselves were those players REALLY good enough.

I cannot believe that there aren't 11 better players out there who can replace those who have / are expecting to " move on ".

If we think that RK can make the difference then with the £50 million in the bank ..and some more to come...surely we need to be patient and trust the man, and stop condemning him before we've even played a League game.....and BTW is there anyone out there who expects us to win 3-0 at Anfield....:lol:

NO. It'll take time, but I for one don't want to hear abouit disatisfied players in the dressing room . That is the kiss of death for any club. If they don't want to be at SMS . OK Thank you and goodbye.

If necessary, I'd accept 11 new players who are prepared to sweat and spill blood for SFC. The rest can move on... and if we get over-the-odds transfer fees in so doing .....all the better.

I don't post a lot but I do read this forum every day - I cant see someone of the calibre of Ronald Koeman joining this set up with his brother etc. and not knowing what was/would/is happening with players. I am sure he would like to bring in his own players and whereas normally this would take some time (maybe even a season) then he has a golden opportunity to start with nearly a blank canvas. The priority is always Southampton Football Club - no individual is greater or more important than that. I believe we may struggle at the start of the season (opposite to last year) but will be definitely a top 10 team by the season end - I think we will finish at least 8th. I think 3 or 4 signings wont come until near the end of the transfer window although if Lovren/Chambers goes this weekend than at least one of them will be replaced next week.

I said we would finish in the top ten on another thread and was also shot down. Nice to know I'm not alone.

Simple answer is that the first team all became billy big ******** after last season. I'm sure a few of them have kept their feet on the ground, but the majority need to move on. We are a good club, with good values, nobody wants players that think they are bigger than the club.

Time for a new era.

So two (relatively) unknown players being signed from clubs he has been associated with in Holland can't be attributed to him, and it was purely a coincidence that we signed them? Really?? :?

He isn't the decision maker. I've no doubt he can make recommendations and have input. But I don't think every player signed will be one he targets specifically, no.

We had a contribution from a Feyenoord fan on here after RK was appointed saying that he took a dim view on players thinking they were too big for the club - I think he'd rather take the money and sign another player than have to pander to big egos which IIRC was something that people sounded very in favour of, so with our re-evaluated goals I think departures were inevitable.

The interesting part for me is seeing what he'll do with the funds we've gathered from player sales and how he'll build his squad. With the good crop of youngsters coming through we'll probably see some more experienced heads to balance the team out a bit. Imo obviously.

He isn't the decision maker. I've no doubt he can make recommendations and have input. But I don't think every player signed will be one he targets specifically' date=' no.[/quote']

I would be very surprised if he didn't have final say.

You're not going to hire Ronald ****ing Keoman and have a ice hockey coach and failed ex Charlton manager make decisions on players.

Koeman is p*ssing himself laughing at the ridiculous over the top prices were being offered for our bros! He comes from a league where you can buy a first team right back for £400k

I considered the question in the OP and thi it's likely true. I am sure Koeman must approve of the sales else why come and why stay if unhappy? Some of the prices we are getting are well, well over the top, so I suspect he reckons he can build a stronger SQUAD this way.

At the moment I look on this like plastic surgery. Looks crap during the operation and with all the bruising, but a month later is when to judge.

I would be very surprised if he didn't have final say.

You're not going to hire Ronald ****ing Keoman and have a ice hockey coach and failed ex Charlton manager make decisions on players.

I think you'll be surprised. I think he has an input but not the final say. I believe Mr Reed is very taken with his newfound power.

I considered the question in the OP and thi it's likely true. I am sure Koeman must approve of the sales else why come and why stay if unhappy? Some of the prices we are getting are well, well over the top, so I suspect he reckons he can build a stronger SQUAD this way.

At the moment I look on this like plastic surgery. Looks crap during the operation and with all the bruising, but a month later is when to judge.

Nice, we're getting a giant set of tits!

Welcome to the forum frankthesaint and Paul.Studio. As you both say, Koeman's appointment is indicative of some ambition by the board, as he is arguably the highest profile manager we have ever appointed and it does seem unlikely that he will have had no say at all in these players leaving.

Paul, your opinion that we will finish at least eighth (depending on the calibre of replacements for the leavers) is at least as valid as those held by the bed-wetters who are prepared to stick their necks out and predict a flirtation with relegation, without waiting to see who we bring in before the start of the new season.

But if you've both been following this forum for some time, I'm sure that you know who these posters are who go off at half-cock and then try and belittle anybody's opinion that doesn't echo theirs.

100% YES.

The worst problem in football is managers' coming in and having to " cope " with a squad of long-contracted players who " weren't quite good enough " and couldn't quite cut it for the previous guy !

Whilst we were all glorying over our best League placement since **** and our highest points tally etc, (I was one of them ) ....did we stop to ask ourselves were those players REALLY good enough.

I cannot believe that there aren't 11 better players out there who can replace those who have / are expecting to " move on ".

If we think that RK can make the difference then with the £50 million in the bank ..and some more to come...surely we need to be patient and trust the man, and stop condemning him before we've even played a League game.....and BTW is there anyone out there who expects us to win 3-0 at Anfield....:lol:

NO. It'll take time, but I for one don't want to hear abouit disatisfied players in the dressing room . That is the kiss of death for any club. If they don't want to be at SMS . OK Thank you and goodbye.

If necessary, I'd accept 11 new players who are prepared to sweat and spill blood for SFC. The rest can move on... and if we get over-the-odds transfer fees in so doing .....all the better.

Well said.

I think you'll be surprised. I think he has an input but not the final say. I believe Mr Reed is very taken with his newfound power.

I expect Reed has the power to give the final yes or no but I doubt anyone will be signed who Keoman doesn't want.

Much as I'm alarmed and disappointed at the exodus this summer I do think at this rate we'll really struggle.

This is what I'm taking solace in at the moment. The only real example I can think of recently of a similar thing happening was 2 years ago when Swansea enjoyed a successful season.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/live/match/238146/teams

Their team was managed by Brendan Rodgers and contained Caulker, Scott Sinclair, Sigurdsson and Joe Allen who all left, however they've managed to replace them and continue to stay in the league and at times attack the top half. Again this season they've lost Pablo Hernandez, Michu, Ben Davies and Michel Vorm. But with a couple of decent additions on paper they still look like a good team

http://metro.co.uk/2014/07/26/will-swansea-city-dip-into-the-transfer-market-again-this-summer-4810975/

(I don't know if those links will work, but can always copy & paste).

I would be very interested to hear how Les or is it Ronald " sell" Southampton to, say, rojos or de Vrijj when its been just two in and what looks like 6/7 good players out from a team not in Europe and not likely to be next year either. Whats the motivation for good quality international players to join? It appears to be loads of money now and a transfer to Liverpool or man utd next season? It sure as hell looks like thats the only draw- there can't be a " project"..Established internationals don't go "ooh look at the lovely academy training young players to replace me i must join that team...

I would be very interested to hear how Les or is it Ronald " sell" Southampton to, say, rojos or de Vrijj when its been just two in and what looks like 6/7 good players out from a team not in Europe and not likely to be next year either. Whats the motivation for good quality international players to join? It appears to be loads of money now and a transfer to Liverpool or man utd next season? It sure as hell looks like thats the only draw- there can't be a " project"..Established internationals don't go "ooh look at the lovely academy training young players to replace me i must join that team...

I guess there are a few angles.

Firstly, Ronald gets his medals out :D

Secondly, even though we're not a big fish in this league, the league itself is a big draw. The sums of money involved mean that even a club of our size can compete financially with much bigger clubs in Europe. Ultimately, we're going to have to accept (if we haven't done so already) that many players will see us as a stepping stone to bigger clubs, but if players want to make that jump to the top, they're going to have to turn in performances for us first, and they're certainly not going to be struggling to pay the bills in the process.

Thirdly, it's a decent part of the world to live in, for the most part. For players with families, that can be a pretty big consideration as well.

Secondly, even though we're not a big fish in this league, the league itself is a big draw. The sums of money involved mean that even a club of our size can compete financially with much bigger clubs in Europe. Ultimately, we're going to have to accept (if we haven't done so already) that many players will see us as a stepping stone to bigger clubs, but if players want to make that jump to the top, they're going to have to turn in performances for us first, and they're certainly not going to be struggling to pay the bills in the process.

Thirdly, it's a decent part of the world to live in, for the most part. For players with families, that can be a pretty big consideration as well.

Neither Rojo or De Vrij need stepping stones - both are established internationals and could walk straight into top club sides. There's the Feyenoord connection with De Vrij, even though he didn't see eye-to-eye with Koeman and probably couldn't give two s**ts about his medals.

Neither Rojo or De Vrij need stepping stones - both are established internationals in top sides and could walk straight into a top club side. There's the Feyenoord connection with De Vrij, even though he didn't see eye-to-eye with Koeman and probably couldn't give two s**ts about his medals.

If they could walk straight into a top club side, why haven't they been signed by such a club already? Sporting Lisbon don't *really* count these days. Big name, but haven't achieved anything of note for decades.

If they could walk straight into a top club side, why haven't they been signed by such a club already? Sporting Lisbon don't *really* count these days. Big name, but haven't achieved anything of note for decades.

Let's see where they end up this summer but I would be very surprised if they feel they have to do an 'apprenticeship' or take a detour with us to raise their visibility or signal their quality. More so after their WC performances.

"A decent part of the world", coming from an Eastleigh dweller, that's priceless :lol:

But I'd agree with grantys other sentiments.

Let's see where they end up this summer but I would be very surprised if they feel they have to do an 'apprenticeship' or take a detour with us to raise their visibility or signal their quality. More so after their WC performances.

The big clubs do seem reluctant to sign anyone but the absolute top names without some PL experience (Sky have done a terrific job of making it seem as though it's better or harder to play in than any other big league in Europe - the only tough thing is the number of games, not the technical quality), so a couple of years with a club of our size who are more willing to take that sort of "risk" and then a step up to the top wouldn't be entirely unheard of.

You could argue that's what Dejan Lovren did. He had Champions League football with Lyon, believed that was his level but none of the top 4 in England were willing to take a chance on him, so came to us, showed what he can do and is now getting that step up.

Nope, I think this theory is garbage.

If this were true, it would be an evolution process, not resembling a purge.

And they would be able to tell us that strategy.

I think the club assets are being liquidated so Fat Kat can get her money back, and she appointed a team to bullsh*t/humour us while this was going on whilst bringing in a big name manager who has been conned whilst buying a couple of players from the continent on cheap fees and wages to make it appear its not all in one direction. Clearly she has a high opnion of our intelligence.

I find this scenario seductive, but the only incongruent bit is the appointment of Koeman. Find it hard to believe he's get conned, and if he has, he will be out by Christmas if not a lot earlier.

The big clubs do seem reluctant to sign anyone but the absolute top names without some PL experience (Sky have done a terrific job of making it seem as though it's better or harder to play in than any other big league in Europe - the only tough thing is the number of games, not the technical quality), so a couple of years with a club of our size who are more willing to take that sort of "risk" and then a step up to the top wouldn't be entirely unheard of.

You could argue that's what Dejan Lovren did. He had Champions League football with Lyon, believed that was his level but none of the top 4 in England were willing to take a chance on him, so came to us, showed what he can do and is now getting that step up.

True top teams value prem experience, though it also makes players more expensive.

Arguably, Lovren demonstrates the limits of the type of player we can attract. We basically got him when his stock was at an all-time low: for whatever reason, he had gone badly off the boil at Lyon and wasn't first choice for the national side. Neither Rojo or De Vrij really fit that profile.

Koeman seemed very relaxed when questioned about players leaving last night. Perhaps he has been told that he will be given the funds from all sales, and actually is keen on building his own side?

Its the ultimate football manager opportunity. A lagely blank canvas and £100m to play with.