36 Jordan Turnbull

37 Omar Rowe

38 Sam McQueen

39 Jake Sinclair

40 Sam Gallagher

41 Cody Cropper

43 Will Britt

44 Chris Johns

Read more at http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/news/article/06082014-201415-squad-numbers-1807762.aspx#GWeezYUk3jkc5z6U.99

So basically, everyone's the same number as last season, with Tadic 11, Pelle 19, Bertrand 21 (bit of a surprise that), Sharp 30, Targett 33 and that's basically it.

Blanks at 5, 7, 13, 14, 15, 17, 20, 22, 23, 42, and 45 and above.

Must say I preferred it when I could pretend the likes of Dean Hammond, Tadanari Lee, Johnno Forte and Billy Sharp's numbers were being "protected" without actually naming them. No-one has taken over any of the numbers of the transferred players, in bold above (for some reason). Bertrand's jumped in Guly's grave not Shaw's. ;)

Shame Rojo wore 16 at the World Cup and not the 17 he's previously worn for Argentina. I'm sure he'd settle for 7 though. :D

13 is a good solid keeper number (in England, at least), though Forster was 22 at the World Cup (not that he'll have particularly fond memories of it).

Taider wore 19 for Algeria but Pelle's beaten him to it, and 21 for Inter (Bertrand got there first).

Ok good I didn't just dream it then

Swindon are trying to get Turnbull and Stephens, they had the latter last season. Given our lack of cover at RB now, I'd imagine either Stephens or McCarthy(?) would cover.

I'm guessing we've either retired the number 7 shirt (which would be ridiculous as much as I like Rickie, we didn't do it for MLT so why would we do it for him?) or, the more likely, we've got a new signing lined up to be number 7

I'm guessing we've either retired the number 7 shirt (which would be ridiculous as much as I like Rickie, we didn't do it for MLT so why would we do it for him?) or, the more likely, we've got a new signing lined up to be number 7

We're not allowed to retire it by Prem League rules (even West Ham's number 6 and Man City's number 23 which are meant to be "retired" have to be filled... officially), but the idea of retiring it for Lambert is pretty ridiculous anyway, he's not even the best Saints player to wear it regularly!

More likely for me that we just don't think we've got anyone "worthy" at the moment.

Foster can be No.7

I'd like a goal keeper to have a number between 2 and 11. Would be different.

Didn't Argentina's 1978 World Cup squad have numbers assigned alphabetically? I'm sure I remember Ossie Ardiles wearing the number 1 shirt. Now that would be different, if not entirely original!

Didn't Argentina's 1978 World Cup squad have numbers assigned alphabetically? I'm sure I remember Ossie Ardiles wearing the number 1 shirt. Now that would be different, if not entirely original!

How about numbers by age? Can you have a decimal point in the number (22.3)....

In the first year that the Football League adopted squad numbers in the early-to-mid-90s, Charlton assigned their squad numbers alphabetically as well. One of their centre-backs had the number 1 shirt, which was pretty weird.

In the first year that the Football League adopted squad numbers in the early-to-mid-90s, Charlton assigned their squad numbers alphabetically as well. One of their centre-backs had the number 1 shirt, which was pretty weird.

Didn't the RB for Swindon wear No.1 in their only season in the top flight? Or maybe I'm thinking of another season but I'm pretty sure it was Swindon.

Edited by Greenridge

It was Stuart Balmer. You're in my era now. ;)

article-2458652-00EE6B7F00000190-822_634x626.jpg

If I remember correctly Ardiles wore 2. I thought the first time I saw him, he was right back but soon realised anywhere but.

We should do them by age in ascending order!! :lol:

I knew it was Balmer but thought it was a bit too sad knowing it... :lol:

Like that's ever bothered you before. I only remembered him the other week when this exact same conversation happened on another squad numbers thread.

I'd like to think the announcement of the squad numbers, highlighting the current vacancies, is some sort of nod to a few incomings who will fill those gaps.

But then I'm used to being disappointed.

Well I won't claim to be right obviously, but 17 is gone, so that's a start.

Schelotto was 7 at Inter at first. Would rather they rested it for a year than have someone average in it.
Why would we give Schelotto the number 7 when we'd dropped our option to sign him? We surely have someone arriving worthy of wearing the Number 7

Why would we give Schelotto the number 7 when we'd dropped our option to sign him? We surely have someone arriving worthy of wearing the Number 7

I think generally it's assumed that we'll only be allocating squad numbers to people we'll actually be signing, so maybe assume people think we'll be signing someone if they discuss what squad number we'll be giving them... :facepalm: