What to the board need to do to gain back the trust of the fans?

maysie

if you believe KK billy. Morgan sale was all but agreed. it was the backlash the club were getting from all angles that played a major part of putting a top to the top players going.

He was promised a move before WC but players leaving has changed the situation but deal between other clubs was no where near agreed spurs only bid 10 million :spaz:

I would also like them to state what their ambition is for the club and tell the fans how they plan to achieve it.

I've heard Ralph state that clearly several times now. We're aiming for Europe, but we want to get there the long way because it involves spending less in the short term and supports the efforts of our academy. Think Everton under Moyes.

I'd like 'the bored' to refute the suggestion Saints is a "provincial club".

Southampton is the City at the centre of the sixth largest urban area in the UK. Its football club cannot, sensibly, be referred to as 'provincial'; unless you are going by the definition of provincial as 'outside the capital' which would make all clubs barre those in London 'provincial'.

Cheers n that.

the " Cortese Plan " was put in place 4 years ago, and presumably everyone at SMS has been working to it.....(?).

Although NC has since left the club, I haven't seen an alternative / Plan B proposed, so perhaps we can assume that the overall aim is the same? ... although the time scale will have altered somewhat.

If you're not happy with that thought.....maybe you were one of the people laughing ...when Premier League football was suggested back in 2009, whilst we were in the L1 relegation zone ?

The plan was revised when we got to the Prem ahead of schedule, all previous talk was forgotten about in a storming attack on the Top 4.

That was last season, in case anyone was wondering. When we had Gazzaniga in the team for a bunch of games.

I've heard Ralph state that clearly several times now. We're aiming for Europe, but we want to get there the long way because it involves spending less in the short term and supports the efforts of our academy. Think Everton under Moyes.

"The hard way", not the long way.

Jeff, I'm afraid that even if the Board do renege on promises, which several people would say they have already done, I suspect you'd still find excuses for them. As fans, isn't it the club we should support which is not the same thing as the people temporarily sitting in the director's chairs?

Yes I agree it is the club we should support, but where have I said I support the board though?

If we sell Schneiderlin or J Rod this window then I will be angry now, but I 100% believe that this won't happen.

I suppose I mean, what does it matter?

Nothing in the grand scheme of things as the supporters can't control anything but if rumours are true and the Schneiderlin transfer was cancelled because of supporter reaction to the other sales then perhaps our feelings have some influence and the Board cares what we think?

I do not agree. What has been naive and amateurish has been the way that the media and some posters on here have made up their own mindswhat is going on without any hard evidence and caused a feeding frenzy of negativity.

The naive and amateurish media as you put it were only acting in response to the naive and amateurish behaviour of the board of directors. Junior Mullett is correct, you seem to have missed the critical factor though. At least they have gone some way now to putting us on a more professional footing by dispensing with Hofstetter whose foolish utterances were a significant bone to the media dogs.

It is difficult to regain faith in the Board when there was never any faith in the first place. Once KL ensured Cortese's position was untenable and she brought in a fool and a hockey coach to take over any faith in the board was impossible. if she was serious about running the Club and not selling then she should have at least ensured that some directors with football and/or relevant business experience were brought in.

Still the good thing is that as long as we bring in about another 4 players and results are OK then there will be no discontent. That's what they need to do now to get us back on track. So far I don't think we are too much down on quality, Tadic looks comparable with Lallana, Pelle will probably be better than Lambert would have been this season, Bertrand is as good a LB as Shaw was last season (we have lost potential). Don't know about Saphir but good addition in terms of strength in depth. Sort out a backup GK, CB and striker and we will probably not be any worse than last season, maybe (with a backup keeper) we could even be in a better place marginally. Main issue is we are running out of time for Koeman to make a team out of a bunch of strangers.

Maysie

I'm not sure what you base your facts on that a large section of the fan base have list faith in the board

But I seriously believe you are wide of the mark .

That is a widely detached view of reality. I am one of the most positive people I know about saints, and lots of people have been depressed, anagry with the board, accusing them of lying and dishonesty and simply awaiting the next sale. People have been openly talking about cancelling their season tickets (and sales are lower than last year)... This summer has done a lot of damage and now the new board have got until Christmas (latest) to show they can stand on their own to feet with out Cortese or the protests will start.

Make no mistake, if form is bad and the team struggles, saints fans will let them know about it.... No one can say they are happy/delighted with the board's performance, but as a fanbase we are fairly level headed having seen bad times before... we have lost faith, but we will give them time and a chance to show their worth. If they cock it up, they will get both barrels from the fans. And they are right on the tipping point as of the Chambers sale.

It was £10m plus a couple of players (Holtby and the Romanian CB) I believe. That was the deal that was closest to being agreed.

I'd probably actually sell him for that. I think Holtby's excellent, and Chiriches is at least as good as the ones we've got and hasn't already failed for us there like some. Plus ten million quid. But then that's the problem, ALL of the deals we did were good money and worth doing in isolation, it's just having done them all at once.

It was £10m plus a couple of players (Holtby and the Romanian CB) I believe. That was the deal that was closest to being agreed.

Krusty must have forgotten to mention the possibility of a 2 player + 10 million £ exchange though, just 10 million supports his argument so much better.

I'd probably actually sell him for that. I think Holtby's excellent, and Chiriches is at least as good as the ones we've got and hasn't already failed for us there like some. Plus ten million quid. But then that's the problem, ALL of the deals we did were good money and worth doing in isolation, it's just having done them all at once.

Agreed, that deal would have probably been the most logical of all. We really need a CB, Holtby I can take or leave but I don't see him being any worse than Taider who although correct as a player may struggle with the intensity of the PL.

I'd like 'the bored' to refute the suggestion Saints is a "provincial club".

Southampton is the City at the centre of the sixth largest urban area in the UK. Its football club cannot, sensibly, be referred to as 'provincial'; unless you are going by the definition of provincial as 'outside the capital' which would make all clubs barre those in London 'provincial'.

Cheers n that.

The fact you need to lump us in with Portsmouth, Eastleigh, Gosport, Fareham, Havant, Horndean, Hedge End, Locks Heath, Bursledon and Whiteley in order to get to a significant population demonstrates we're provincial. Southampton is 28th in terms of population of boroughs / Unitary authorities behind swa nky metropolitan Plymouth and just ahead of happening Reading and Derby.

Edited by buctootim

The naive and amateurish media as you put it were only acting in response to the naive and amateurish behaviour of the board of directors. Junior Mullett is correct, you seem to have missed the critical factor though. At least they have gone some way now to putting us on a more professional footing by dispensing with Hofstetter whose foolish utterances were a significant bone to the media dogs.

It is difficult to regain faith in the Board when there was never any faith in the first place. Once KL ensured Cortese's position was untenable and she brought in a fool and a hockey coach to take over any faith in the board was impossible. if she was serious about running the Club and not selling then she should have at least ensured that some directors with football and/or relevant business experience were brought in.

Still the good thing is that as long as we bring in about another 4 players and results are OK then there will be no discontent. That's what they need to do now to get us back on track. So far I don't think we are too much down on quality, Tadic looks comparable with Lallana, Pelle will probably be better than Lambert would have been this season, Bertrand is as good a LB as Shaw was last season (we have lost potential). Don't know about Saphir but good addition in terms of strength in depth. Sort out a backup GK, CB and striker and we will probably not be any worse than last season, maybe (with a backup keeper) we could even be in a better place marginally. Main issue is we are running out of time for Koeman to make a team out of a bunch of strangers.

Could you please explain how you know what went on in the Boardroom? You have no idea and are just guessing. Did you know for example that one of the "amatuers" talked Shaw into staying when he wanted to leave a couple of years ago? You and I dont know what goes on behind close doors unless one of the Board decide to tell us. The media storm this year was down to the fact that we had a great season last year (with some thanks to the Board) and we had players that top teams wanted to poach.

Edited by sadoldgit
expanded

If they sign Rojo and Forster for big money I think a few of the conspiracy theorists might look a bit silly....

IF.

I don't think so. Most have consistently said until there is evidence to the contrary. Big money buys would be that evidence. I think most would just be pleased that they have taken steps to repair some of the damage.

I don't think so. Most have consistently said until there is evidence to the contrary. Big money buys would be that evidence. I think most would just be pleased that they have taken steps to repair some of the damage.

No, most have said it as fact. Either way you are using the guilty until proven innocent rule, which is such a cop-out.

If you have an opinion, stick to it, and be proud of that opinion, don't try and weasel your way out of it.

I had doubts in the past weeks because what happened seemed to contradict what we were told / promised by Reed and Krueger. That said I accept the assurances and explanations given since then. If we sign a good CB, additional striker and a backup or first choice goalie we would have had a summer despite the departures and any remaining doubts will have been banished. If we keep £30m or so in the bank for use next summer, even better.

Well producing a team on the pitch capable of obtaining results similar to those at the start of last season would do a lot for most people. If we've 20 points on the board after

10 (or even 11) games then for me the board's policy will have been vindicated, less points in various degrees would mean more or less trust in their policy.

So you want two points per game a whopping 35% increase on last years results.

Back to the OP, I would do what every good parents does and leave the whinging kids to cry themselves out.

So you want two points per game a whopping 35% increase on last years results.

Back to the OP, I would do what every good parents does and leave the whinging kids to cry themselves out.

We had 22 points on the board after 11 games last season, don't really know what you're talking about. It was only when we had to start using the residual garbage in our squad (which is still there and shows no signs of being moved on) that the results tailed off. Our league position last season was based on our great start. If we'd have got only

14 points from 11 (22-35%) then our season would have been extremely difficult towards the end.

Could you please explain how you know what went on in the Boardroom? You have no idea and are just guessing. Did you know for example that one of the "amatuers" talked Shaw into staying when he wanted to leave a couple of years ago?

If it was a couple of years ago, that must have been Reed. None of the others were either with the club or in that position at that point.

We had 22 points on the board after 11 games last season, don't really know what you're talking about. It was only when we had to start using the residual garbage in our squad (which is still there and shows no signs of being moved on) that the results tailed off. Our league position last season was based on our great start. If we'd have got only

14 points from 11 (22-35%) then our season would have been extremely difficult towards the end.

From last season's frequent bench-warmers, Guly has gone, Chambers has gone, Fox has gone, Osvaldo is out on loan. It also seems likely that we'll sign a keeper ahead of the two who filled the bench last season, and that kids on there will have another year's experience.

I agree that our lack of strength in depth was the problem last season, and because we're only signing replacements for those who've left, it'll be the same this season, just with different players.

From last season's frequent bench-warmers, Guly has gone, Chambers has gone, Fox has gone, Osvaldo is out on loan. It also seems likely that we'll sign a keeper ahead of the two who filled the bench last season, and that kids on there will have another year's experience.

I agree that our lack of strength in depth was the problem last season, and because we're only signing replacements for those who've left, it'll be the same this season, just with different players.

You know very well that I'm talking about KD,Gazzaniga and Hooiveld. Maya is still to show that he's really Premier League level. If we have to rely on Hooiveld ever again the bolloa kks will start once more. We need to ship those 3 out of the club and never ever have to use them again. Still no doubt they're too expensive for most candidates at their level. Trade off with Celtic for 2 of them would be handy, won't happen though.

Heated seats, gourmet pies, Peroni on tap delivered to me as soon as the half time whistle blows, by a scantily clad lovely. Free sedan chair to and from St Marys on match days.

Give me all that and they can bring back Scott Hiley and Paul Wotton for all I care.

This is actually not a bad idea as long as you also include overseas supporters get in for free or at least get a seat,

The fact you need to lump us in with Portsmouth, Eastleigh, Gosport, Fareham, Havant, Horndean, Hedge End, Locks Heath, Bursledon and Whiteley in order to get to a significant population demonstrates we're provincial. Southampton is 28th in terms of population of boroughs / Unitary authorities behind swa nky metropolitan Plymouth and just ahead of happening Reading and Derby.

These boroughs are geographically smaller than many conurbations in the rest of the country. South Hampshire is 8th on this list with over 1.5 million people:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_metropolitan_areas_in_the_United_Kingdom

Provincial is a term used by Londonders to describe any area outside the M25.

Yes I agree it is the club we should support, but where have I said I support the board though?

If we sell Schneiderlin or J Rod this window then I will be angry now, but I 100% believe that this won't happen.

Jeff you really are unbelievable!! You said "There are some very good reasons why I trust the board and will continue to do so..." and now you claim this doesn't amount to support for the Board!! As for Morgan and JRod, of course they can't now be sold this window because Kruguer blocked the sale in response to the adverse response from fans and supporters in the media and were he to go back on that he would be under serious pressure to resign. But just like your post above, it was a qualified promise that leave it open for either or both players to be sold in January.

It is still the fact that we have only bought two new players and at hugely less cost than 5 sold. Loans are hardly going to convince anyone other than the Board's strongest supporters that promises about using the income to fill the gaps and to improve the team will be kept. People will need to see the money spent if they are to believe the spin, and not just some of it, but all of it.

You know very well that I'm talking about KD,Gazzaniga and Hooiveld. Maya is still to show that he's really Premier League level. If we have to rely on Hooiveld ever again the bolloa kks will start once more. We need to ship those 3 out of the club and never ever have to use them again. Still no doubt they're too expensive for most candidates at their level. Trade off with Celtic for 2 of them would be handy, won't happen though.

I had no idea who you were referring to. You weren't very clear who you thought the "residual garbage in our squad (which is still there...)" were - 4 of those who might have been part of that description have left, which is half the bench. All of the players you mentioned have had some successes in the Premier League though (Yoshida and Hooiveld partnership in the 2-1 home win against Chelsea for a start, Gazzaniga against Cardiff away), and you'd have been saying the same about Fonte a year ago until he found a partner to improve him overall.

Jeff you really are unbelievable!! You said "There are some very good reasons why I trust the board and will continue to do so..." and now you claim this doesn't amount to support for the Board!! As for Morgan and JRod, of course they can't now be sold this window because Kruguer blocked the sale in response to the adverse response from fans and supporters in the media and were he to go back on that he would be under serious pressure to resign. But just like your post above, it was a qualified promise that leave it open for either or both players to be sold in January.

It is still the fact that we have only bought two new players and at hugely less cost than 5 sold. Loans are hardly going to convince anyone other than the Board's strongest supporters that promises about using the income to fill the gaps and to improve the team will be kept. People will need to see the money spent if they are to believe the spin, and not just some of it, but all of it.

These days there's very little difference between loans and purchases, it's like the difference between buying a car outright or on lease purchase and often there are very good accountancy reasons for preferring them, maybe because you don't want a capital asset on your books.

These days there's very little difference between loans and purchases, it's like the difference between buying a car outright or on lease purchase and often there are very good accountancy reasons for preferring them, maybe because you don't want a capital asset on your books.

Of course, there is - loans don't give you the upside that the player/asset will appreciate in value.

These boroughs are geographically smaller than many conurbations in the rest of the country. South Hampshire is 8th on this list with over 1.5 million people:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_metropolitan_areas_in_the_United_Kingdom

Provincial is a term used by Londonders to describe any area outside the M25.

Metropolitan areas are totally artificial constructs which just lump together a whole load of disparate towns and villages which happen to be vaguely near each other. South Hampshire is not even a continuous urban sprawl. How does Andover fit into the South Hampshire metropolitan area? or Bognor Regis? They're 70 miles apart and Bognor isnt even in Hampshire. Using that nonsense to claim Southampton is really Metropolitan and bigger than Glasgow, Nottingham, Bristol, Edinburgh, Cardiff, Leicester etc etc is desperate. This is the list that counts - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_localities_in_England_by_population

Edited by buctootim

This is actually not a bad idea as long as you also include overseas supporters get in for free or at least get a seat,

In addition to UK based Saints supporters with a round trip of over 300 miles for St Marys games, all overseas Saints supporters should be rewarded with a free hospitality package including unlimited food and drink at the match and the option of a free night's accommodation if required.

Vote Goat.

They also don't tie you to long term wage commitments.

And you have less chance of catching Osvalditis.

I was thinking particularly in terms of player commitment but where there is an option to buy the player usually has an incentive to perform well. When you know that they are going back to their parent club at the end of the season it's harder to form an emotional attachment.