Fonte as skipper

Batman

If the plan is to bring both Rojo and van Dijk in, then Fonte may be 3rd choice centre back.

if that is even then plan at all

Thats why I said "if".

If we did have Rojo, van Dijk, Fonte and Yoshida as centre backs then that is probably stronger than last season. We'd also have more depth in goal if Forster joins and Boruc stays.

Thats why I said "if".

If we did have Rojo, van Dijk, Fonte and Yoshida as centre backs then that is probably stronger than last season. We'd also have more depth in goal if Forster joins and Boruc stays.

its like saying if you were blind would you rather be deaf.

Neither Fonte nor Davis will be guaranteed starters if we get in Rojo and Van Dijk, with the midfielders already signed, so neither is an ideal captain. Morgan would be a far better choice, but his recent behaviour rather rules that out.

Who else is guaranteed a start? Neither Clyne nor Wanyama strike me as natural leaders.

Who else speaks good enough English to do the job?

Neither Fonte nor Davis will be guaranteed starters if we get in Rojo and Van Dijk, with the midfielders already signed, so neither is an ideal captain. Morgan would be a far better choice, but his recent behaviour rather rules that out.

Who else is guaranteed a start? Neither Clyne nor Wanyama strike me as natural leaders.

what if we dont.

lets deal with the here and now.

what if we dont.

lets deal with the here and now.

Why? We don't need to confirm a captain before the teams walk out for our first match, and it doesn't even have to be a fixed position.

It makes sense for the captain to be on the pitch, and we already have Kelvin as "Club Captain" as opposed to "Team Captain" in the figurehead role, so we can't have another one of those anyway. So let's deal with it when it needs to be dealt with. In a week's time, when some of the recruitment questions being answered may also have changed this answer.

Why? We don't need to confirm a captain before the teams walk out for our first match, and it doesn't even have to be a fixed position.

It makes sense for the captain to be on the pitch, and we already have Kelvin as "Club Captain" as opposed to "Team Captain" in the figurehead role, so we can't have another one of those anyway. So let's deal with it when it needs to be dealt with. In a week's time, when some of the recruitment questions being answered may also have changed this answer.

Ok, fair points

I was suggesting this on the very likely chance that we wont sign two CBs that will be in the rojo/VVD standard.

anyway, lock this thread

Think Davis has a good chance of starting, if he doesn't so be it another player will have the armband if he isn't selected but his experience of being Rangers and NI captain and his consistant good performances means he's ideal for the Role

Wanyama is captain of his country. Good English is not an issue, after all Lallana was captain.

For me its between Fonte, Davis and Morgan.

I'll be surprised if Steven Davis isn't in with a shout (of both starting and captain), he was one of our most effective creators last season and has excellent workrate too, it'll be some player (or some formation) who keeps him out of the side.

I'll be surprised if Steven Davis isn't in with a shout (of both starting and captain), he was one of our most effective creators last season and has excellent workrate too, it'll be some player (or some formation) who keeps him out of the side.

Absolutely. I'm still surprised at how many people leave him out of their preferred starting 11.

Is Van dijk even that good? why would we make Jose who has two years of PL experince and played very well last year third choice behind a guy from celtic.

Who knows what Van Dijk would offer in the PL. Still think we need 2 new CBs and I don't overate our chances of signing Rojo. He's just waiting around to see what offers he gets, once the fee required has been established then other clubs will probably jump into the fray for him.

If we were to sign both Rojo and Van Dijk (don't think we will) could it be with a view to playing something like this? Not sure where Tadic fits in though..

----------Boruc

---VVD-- Fonte-- Rojo

Clyne-------------- Bertrand

----------Wanyama

Schneiderlin-----Taider

----------Davis

----------Pelle

Clyne and Bertand as wing backs pushing on to provide width

Edited by Restark19

If we were to sign both Rojo and Van Dijk (don't think we will) could it be with a view to playing something like this? Not sure where Tadic fits in though..

----------Boruc

---VVD-- Fonte-- Rojo

Clyne-------------- Bertrand

----------Wanyama

Schneiderlin-----Taider

----------Davis

----------Pelle

Clyne and Bertand as wing backs pushing on to provide width

Tadic will surely be ahead of Taider - no?

I think Koeman's already mentioned that Fonte's likely to be captain with Davis as vice-captain. That would be my choice too.

Agreed. In terms of professionalism, both are outstanding role models for their teammates. I think Fonte has the edge (will probably start more games than Davis) and I'd be more than happy with that decision.

The only other person I can envisage as having a shot is Wanyama but it might be too early for him at this stage and it depends on how he sees his long term future at the club developing.

Morgan: absolutely not. He won't be gone this summer but his Twitter reaction can never be regarded as captain-like behaviour. If it wasn't for that, he might be seen as a shoe-in.

Wanyama is captain of his country. Good English is not an issue, after all Lallana was captain.

For me its between Fonte, Davis and Morgan.

[video=youtube_share;jTTTuV_yI0o]

This was two years ago nearly. His English wasn't exactly 'poor' then. Can't imagine it would have backwards since.

Anyway, if Fonte is in the team I'd happily have him as captain. S. Davis is a fine choice also.

[video=youtube_share;jTTTuV_yI0o]

This was two years ago nearly. His English wasn't exactly 'poor' then. Can't imagine it would have backwards since.

Vic's English wasn't an issue, go back and read my response and the post it was referring to. The OP was concerned about who had good English, I said it didn't matter after all Lallana was captain. It was meant to be a funny.

Steven Davies is the most logical choice for me. He's one professional player, gives everything and has history as Rangers captain. What's more he's kept quiet and loyal all summer.

He's a better player than Fonte for me, so would be leading by example on the pitch.