General Election 2015

trousers

The point is that although it was a Lib Dem policy, who's to say the Tories weren't going to do it later In the government, considering they are happy doing it now and in the next government...

It is a core principle of the Tory party and was likely to have been done anyway.

Either way, no need to get so angry about it. It's a nice sunny day, cheer up!

It's highly likely that a majority Tory administration would have reduce tax in a different way.

The point is that although it was a Lib Dem policy, who's to say the Tories weren't going to do it later In the government, considering they are happy doing it now and in the next government...

It is a core principle of the Tory party and was likely to have been done anyway.

Either way, no need to get so angry about it. It's a nice sunny day, cheer up!

I doubt they would have done that without the coalition and would have cut the tax on higher earners instead but they now realise that its popular ,so I for one hope neither of the majority party's get a majority, it stops the extremes and produces better government .

I doubt they would have done that without the coalition and would have cut the tax on higher earners instead but they now realise that its popular ,so I for one hope neither of the majority party's get a majority, it stops the extremes and produces better government .

Completely agree. I think a coalition has been excellent for this country in many ways.

careline nokes and she was very helpfull when i some problems to deal with and found her a normal person.

Caroline Noakes is awful. Whenever I've written to her she'll just reply with a party policy, which couldn't be further from my own principles.

careline nokes and she was very helpfull when i some problems to deal with and found her a normal person.

Who is it, out of interest?

As a Conservative voter (traditionally), I've refused to vote for my local MP as he's a traditional old school Tory, the type I can't stand (James Arbuthnot). But he's stood down thankfully and the new kid on the block seems like a modern thinker, I have much like (http://www.tellranil.com/)!

Describing a Tory as a modern thinker is very bizarre. Do you mean they're just not quite as old and posh? Conservatives by their very definition counter modern thinking and modern ideas in favour of preserving tradition (and their wealth) and continuity.

Describing a Tory as a modern thinker is very bizarre. Do you mean they're just not quite as old and posh? Conservatives by their very definition counter modern thinking and modern ideas in favour of preserving tradition (and their wealth) and continuity.

This is what I hate.

I wish to god there was a Neo-conservative option that was unconnected with the old powers that be but independently preached conservative politics. It's too easy to tar everyone who leans towards conservative politics as someone who is in bed with the gentry/establishment.

This is what I hate.

I wish to god there was a Neo-conservative option that was unconnected with the old powers that be but independently preached conservative politics. It's too easy to tar everyone who leans towards conservative politics as someone who is in bed with the gentry/establishment.

Completely agree, I admit I lean towards their politics also, but hearing people argue that they shouldn't run the country because they're all posh toffs just smacks of jealousy and not what I want to hear. What does being posh have to do with your ability, or lack of for doing a job.

I just believe that the conservatives are the only party that will act responsibly with our economy, milliband, balls et al just seem to act like the bloke down the road who's always going on holiday, always buying the new car, always spending more money whilst racking up the debt and moving it between credit cards.

I know the conservatives annoy people and seem uncaring, but sometimes the right decision is the tough decision, there are 65 million people in this country and whatever a politician does is going to **** some group or other off. milliband just seems to want to please everyone and sod the consequences.

Completely agree, I admit I lean towards their politics also, but hearing people argue that they shouldn't run the country because they're all posh toffs just smacks of jealousy and not what I want to hear. What does being posh have to do with your ability, or lack of for doing a job.

I just believe that the conservatives are the only party that will act responsibly with our economy, milliband, balls et al just seem to act like the bloke down the road who's always going on holiday, always buying the new car, always spending more money whilst racking up the debt and moving it between credit cards.

I know the conservatives annoy people and seem uncaring, but sometimes the right decision is the tough decision, there are 65 million people in this country and whatever a politician does is going to **** some group or other off. milliband just seems to want to please everyone and sod the consequences.

It seems we are of very similar mind Millbrook. :)

Can't agree with the last bit though, his sneering comments along the lines of 'those Tories.......' just riles me every time, so because I have a different political compass to you, you tar me with a brush and sneer as though i'm a lesser human being. F**k you!

Edited by Colinjb

Exactly this.

If I ever let on that I am Tory to friends all I get is the same 'You don't care' rhetoric which is utter ********. I want sensible spending on public services, with the private sector picking up any slack, and a hard-working public looking to pro-actively help themselves to a better life.

Are free school meals popular? One of those stupid things like the baby bonds in my opinion. Of course everyone wants something for free but ultimately it is subsidising many that don't need the subsidy.

And 10k tax allowance isn't a lib dem thing.

Free school meals have been very popular - seen letters from teachers saying it's improved the behaviour of kids, and there are big studies showing a proper meal can improve concentration and scores.

And sorry, the £10k allowance was undeniably a lib dem thing, the Tories were arguing against it at the last election! It was on the front page of their manifesto as one of their top 4 priorities.

The other top priorities were

Green investment bank (done)

Pupil premium (done)

Political reform (okay, they tried but failed here, but they got an AV referendum at least)

Exactly this.

If I ever let on that I am Tory to friends all I get is the same 'You don't care' rhetoric which is utter ********. I want sensible spending on public services, with the private sector picking up any slack, and a hard-working public looking to pro-actively help themselves to a better life.

Damn straight.

If it ever comes up though I never say Tory, I'm conservative.

Edited by Colinjb

Colinjb, yeah I didn't really get my point across properly with the last point, what I meant was he seems to see a bandwagon, jumps on it because he thinks it will gain him political mileage and popularity without really thinking through the consequences, case in point is tuition fees, whilst I agree there needs to be a better system and in an ideal world it would all be free, but just coming out with I'll reduce it to £6000 cap without explaining how he's going to pay for it just sounds like someone hiding the truth or not really thinking through his policies, he'd probably raise taxes or borrow money.

And yes the left are very good at sneering and looking down their noses at people who don't agree with them.

The other thing that annoys me with the debates is that it's easy for the party not in power as you saw last night, just to turn round and point out the failures of the ruling party, of which there will be for any party in power and saying they'd do it better without really saying how, this is why no ruling party would want to do these debates, it gives the others an unfair advantage as they can't be judged on failures they haven't had chance to implement. Although it was quite funny last night when Paxman tore into Milliband about all his failed predictions of how the tory policies will fail.

Exactly this.

Labour is obviously more caring than the Conservatives., I don't know why people try and make out anything different. It's fair argument to say they are not as business orientated as the Conservatives but the caring intentions of the left are plain and clear to see.

Most Tories I know don't give a f*ck about the unemployed or state of public services. Each man for himself.

Labour is obviously more caring than the Conservatives., I don't know why people try and make out anything different. It's fair argument to say they are not as business orientated as the Conservatives but the caring intentions of the left are plain and clear to see.

Most Tories I know don't give a f*ck about the unemployed or state of public services. Each man for himself.

There's no point being caring yet unable to do anything. I do not want to see the economy risked under a labour government as it would adversely effect everyone. Does that make me selfish and uncaring?

I do not doubt the good intentions of a lot of Labours policies, but the road to hell is based on good intentions, there's no point in saying all the good things when the implementation leads to ruin.

There's no point being caring yet unable to do anything. I do not want to see the economy risked under a labour government as it would adversely effect everyone. Does that make me selfish and uncaring?

I do not doubt the good intentions of a lot of Labours policies, but the road to hell is based on good intentions, there's no point in saying all the good things when the implementation leads to ruin.

But Caring is all about intentions, it means displaying kindness and concern for others. Wether they are better or worse at running the country is obviously up for debate but you cannot doubt they are more caring.

But Caring is all about intentions, it means displaying kindness and concern for others. Wether they are better or worse at running the country is obviously up for debate but you cannot doubt they are more caring.

I think Cameron is very caring. Particularly towards his Cotswolds mates Rebecca Brooks and Jeremy Clarkson. Just shame about the rest of us!

Actually I do give a **** about the unemployed and the state of public services.

What I don't give a **** about is people who refuse to work, coming out with all the excuses I got a bad back, there's no jobs etc, a lot of unemployed choose that lifestyle then throw themselves on the states mercy whinging how they can't afford to eat and how their kids will starve unless they're given more money, all the while firing out more kids. The conservatives give a **** about these people because they're trying to get them back to work, unlike labour who would just increase their benefits without encouraging them to work, great vote winner for the lazy. I know this happens as I have friends who haven't worked for most of their adult life, I have also seen friends of my children who have never actively looked for work since leaving school in the last couple of years, why should I subsidise these lazy people?

I'm not sure what you mean about the state of public services, I know hospitals are overworked and understaffed, but that's for a number of reasons, people are living longer, increase in people moving here etc. Would love to see examples showing the 'state of public services', that to me just sounds like milliband's arguments last night which revolved around we could do better, but couldn't tell us how.

I know things aren't perfect but just throwing good money after bad won't solve the issue

But Caring is all about intentions, it means displaying kindness and concern for others. Whether they are better or worse at running the country is obviously up for debate but you cannot doubt they are more caring.

So anyone who votes conservative is uncaring? That's actually extremely insulting ;) but responding to the point in bold, whether they are any good at running the country is actually key for me. No point in having a caring but incompetent ruling party and nothing Labour has said so far has indicated that they are competent, just sound bites, hot air and nothing original.

Edited by Colinjb

I'd put more faith in a FM game engine than macro models of the economy.

Sure, they can show what you want. In general though a tax and benefits system which favours the poorest rather than the richest is better for economic growth.

On average give the working poor more money and they stop claiming benefits, start paying tax and spend money on things which recycle the cash back into the economy (buying food in local shops, repairs to house etc). Give wealthier people more and they spend it on foreign holidays, imported electronics and cars - ie more of the money leaks out of the UK.

I think Cameron is very caring. Particularly towards his Cotswolds mates Rebecca Brooks and Jeremy Clarkson. Just shame about the rest of us!

No joking aside, I think you would struggle to find a more 'caring' conservative front bencher. He may come across as arrogant and smarmy (although a lot of lefties describe most conservatives as arrogant) but I actually think he's not a bad guy. He is extremely passionate about being PM and getting this country turned around.

It is a pretty insulting thing to say that people don't care, and is not actually a common personality trait. I think it would really rangle with Dave though, considering he spent a good amount of his life looking after a severly disabled child.

Sure, they can show what you want. In general though a tax and benefits system which favours the poorest rather than the richest is better for economic growth.

On average give the working poor more money and they stop claiming benefits, start paying tax and spend money on things which recycle the cash back into the economy (buying food in local shops, repairs to house etc). Give wealthier people more and they spend it on foreign holidays, imported electronics and cars - ie more of the money leaks out of the UK.

If you give the poor more money through benefits then they aren't going to go out and get a job, thus not paying tax.

The way to filter the money down is by increasing the minimum wage higher than the rate of job seeking benefits.

If you give the poor more money through benefits then they aren't going to go out and get a job, thus not paying tax.

The way to filter the money down is by increasing the minimum wage higher than the rate of job seeking benefits.

Thats why I said working poor and tax and benefits system. I agree about the minimum wage, the fears about job losses simple havent materialised and I suspect you could safely push the minimum wage up to £10ph.

Thats why I said working poor and tax and benefits system.

Apologies, I didn't see that.

If that's the case then the Conservatives are doing the correct thing. I would like to see the living wage implemented rather than the minimum wage for large corporations, although this certainly takes Government pressure that they probably won't get from the Tories.

Actually I do give a **** about the unemployed and the state of public services.

What I don't give a **** about is people who refuse to work, coming out with all the excuses I got a bad back, there's no jobs etc, a lot of unemployed choose that lifestyle then throw themselves on the states mercy whinging how they can't afford to eat and how their kids will starve unless they're given more money, all the while firing out more kids. The conservatives give a **** about these people because they're trying to get them back to work, unlike labour who would just increase their benefits without encouraging them to work, great vote winner for the lazy. I know this happens as I have friends who haven't worked for most of their adult life, I have also seen friends of my children who have never actively looked for work since leaving school in the last couple of years, why should I subsidise these lazy people?

I'm not sure what you mean about the state of public services, I know hospitals are overworked and understaffed, but that's for a number of reasons, people are living longer, increase in people moving here etc. Would love to see examples showing the 'state of public services', that to me just sounds like milliband's arguments last night which revolved around we could do better, but couldn't tell us how.

I know things aren't perfect but just throwing good money after bad won't solve the issue

I actually agree with you about the benefits system under Labour, but I think their flaw is that they are too caring but most people on benefits do want to work.

I hate scroungers but the Tory policy is all about getting them off the unemployment figures, I don't think it is motivated by a genuine concern for them or their living standards.

I actually agree with you about the benefits system under Labour, but I think their flaw is that they are too caring but most people on benefits do want to work.

I hate scroungers but the Tory policy is all about getting them off the unemployment figures, I don't think it is motivated by a genuine concern for them or their living standards.

Don't disagree its to get them off the unemployed figures, 0 hours contracts shows that.

However, even the Tories know that a higher standard of living tends to mean a more fruitful economy, so I don't agree with the second part.

If only there was a credible party in the middle that would combine the two ethos'.

Exactly this.

The public sector picking up the slack? If the private sector can run what were public services and make healthy profits, then surely it would be better for the government to keep hold of those services and run them and make that money themselves? It just seems to be a form of asset stripping to me, selling public owned companies for a quick profit and a short term boost for the government's coffers. Of course the hedge funds and other financial big wigs that fund the tories don't stand to gain from any of this I'm sure. If theses sales don't go to them then they go abroad and get sold to foreign companies so then the profits don't even go back into the economy.

Am sympathetic with this view, though the emphasis should be on equality of opportunity rather than outcome, mindful that the two are connected at some level. As always, political economy considerations loom large - unless centre left parties can change the language and the policies around redistribution (the wonky idea of predistribution is a stab at this), they'll simply be preaching to the choir and fail to sell the agenda to the public at large.

Edited by shurlock

The public sector picking up the slack? If the private sector can run what were public services and make healthy profits, then surely it would be better for the government to keep hold of those services and run them and make that money themselves? It just seems to be a form of asset stripping to me, selling public owned companies for a quick profit and a short term boost for the government's coffers. Of course the hedge funds and other financial big wigs that fund the tories don't stand to gain from any of this I'm sure. If theses sales don't go to them then they go abroad and get sold to foreign companies so then the profits don't even go back into the economy.

The public sector has never managed anything at a profit.

Why should the government own and run any companies? That shouldn't be the purpose of a government.

The problem is that in general the public sector cannot run these companies at a profit.

I'm not sure what you mean?

There are plenty of industries that I don't think business can be trusted with. Health care and prisons would be one. I'd even say that there is a good case for big pharma to be hemmed in. I'd also say that transport and utilities need to be run with the national interest in mind.

All of these things are essentials, and unlike some of the other essentials such as food, aren't as easily procured when profit motive is involved. We don't need to speculate on what happens when companies are given reign over the essentials. All of the above are taxes going to the private sector, and then who knows where. Decisions are going to be based on short-term profitability rather than any long term improvement, and people have to cope with year-on-year inflation-busting price rises in many former nationalised sectors.

Don't buy that it can't be done. Other countries have not only achieved it, but also now own big parts of our energy market. They had the nous to do something useful with their nationalised expertise; Thatcher was stupid enough to sell our kit to them, so we now subsidise foreign states when in the past, all of that money would have been going into our own exchequer.

That's what I mean.

There are plenty of industries that I don't think business can be trusted with. Health care and prisons would be one. I'd even say that there is a good case for big pharma to be hemmed in. I'd also say that transport and utilities need to be run with the national interest in mind.

All of these things are essentials, and unlike some of the other essentials such as food, aren't as easily procured when profit motive is involved. We don't need to speculate on what happens when companies are given reign over the essentials. All of the above are taxes going to the private sector, and then who knows where. Decisions are going to be based on short-term profitability rather than any long term improvement, and people have to cope with year-on-year inflation-busting price rises in many former nationalised sectors.

Don't buy that it can't be done. Other countries have not only achieved it, but also now own big parts of our energy market. They had the nous to do something useful with their nationalised expertise; Thatcher was stupid enough to sell our kit to them, so we now subsidise foreign states when in the past, all of that money would have been going into our own exchequer.

That's what I mean.

Big pharmaceuticals is the one I would like to see brought 'in-house'.

The public sector has never managed anything at a profit.

Really? amazing how Thatcher managed to get huge sums for hundreds of sales.

British Petroleum (1977, 1979, 1981, 1987)

International Computers Limited (1979)

State Management Scheme (1973)

Thomas Cook (1972)

1980s[edit]

Amersham International (1982)

Associated British Ports (1983, 1984)

British Aerospace (1981, 1985)

British Airports Authority (1987)

British Airways (1987)

British Airways Helicopters (1986)

British Gas (1986)

British Leyland

Alvis (1981)

Coventry Climax (1982)

Danish Automobile Building (1987)

ISTEL (1987)

Jaguar (1984)

Leyland Bus (1987)

Leyland Tractors (1982)

Leyland Trucks (1987)

Rover Group (1988)

Unipart (1987)

British Rail Engineering Limited (1989)

British Shipbuilders (1985 - 1989, shipbuilder companies sold individually)

British Steel (1988)

British Sugar (1981)

British Telecom (1984, 1991, 1993)

British Transport Hotels (1983)

Britoil (1982, 1985)

Cable and Wireless (1981, 1983, 1985)

Council houses (1980–present, over two million sold to their tenants) - see main article Right to buy scheme

Enterprise Oil (1984)

Fairey (1980)

Ferranti (1982)

Harland and Wolff (1989)

Inmos (1984)

Municipal bus companies (1988–present, bus companies sold individually) - see main article Bus deregulation in Great Britain

National Bus Company (1986 - 1988, bus companies sold individually)

National Express (1988)

National Freight Corporation (1982)

Passenger transport executive bus companies (1988 - 1994, bus companies sold individually)

Rolls-Royce (1987)

Royal Ordnance (1987)

Sealink (1984)

Travellers Fare (1988)

Trustee Savings Bank (1985)

Vale of Rheidol Railway (1989)

Water companies - see main article Water privatisation in England and Wales

Anglian Water (1989)

Northumbrian Water (1989)

North West Water (1989)

Severn Trent (1989)

Southern Water (1989)

South West Water (1989)

Thames Water (1989)

Welsh Water (1989)

Wessex Water (1989)

Yorkshire Water (1989)

1990s[edit]

AEA Technology (1996)

Agricultural Development and Advisory Service (1997)

Belfast International Airport (1994)

Birmingham Airport (1993 - 51%)

Bournemouth Airport (1995)

Bristol Airport (1997, 2001)

British Coal (1994)

British Energy (1996)

British Rail - see main article Privatisation of British Rail

3 rolling stock companies

Angel Trains (1996)

Eversholt Leasing (1996)

Porterbrook (1996)

6 Design Office units (1995 - 1997, sold individually)

6 freight operating companies

Freightliner (1995)

Loadhaul (1996)

Mainline Freight (1996)

Rail Express Systems (1996)

Railfreight Distribution (1997)

Transrail Freight (1996)

6 track renewal units (1995 - 1997, sold individually)

7 infrastructure maintenance units (1995 - 1997, sold individually)

25 train operating companies (1996, operations contracted out as franchises)

British Rail Research (1996)

British Rail Telecommunications (1995)

European Passenger Services (1996)

Railtrack (1996), (18 October 2002 went into voluntary liquidation) now in public ownership as Network Rail

Red Star Parcels (1995)

Union Railways (1996)

British Technology Group (1992)

Building Research Establishment (1997)

Cardiff Airport (1995)

Central Electricity Generating Board

National Grid (1990)

National Power (1991, 1995)

Powergen (1991, 1995)

Chessington Computer Centre (1996)

Department for National Savings (1999, back office functions contracted out)

East Midlands Airport (1993)

Girobank (1990)

Humberside Airport (1999 - 82%)

Kingston Communications (1999, 2007)

Laboratory of the Government Chemist (1996)

Liverpool Airport (1990, 2001)

London Buses (1994, bus companies sold individually) - see main article Privatisation of London bus services

London Luton Airport (1997)

London Southend Airport (1993)

National Engineering Laboratory (1995)

National Transcommunications Limited (1990)

Natural Resources Institute (1996)

Northern Ireland Electricity (1993)

Property Services Agency (1994)

Regional electricity companies

Eastern Electricity (1990)

East Midlands Electricity (1990)

London Electricity (1990)

MANWEB (1990)

Midlands Electricity (1990)

Northern Electric (1990)

NORWEB (1990)

SEEBOARD (1990)

Southern Electric (1990)

SWALEC (1990)

SWEB Energy (1990)

Yorkshire Electricity (1990)

Scottish Bus Group (1991, bus companies sold individually)

Scottish Hydro-Electric (1991)

Scottish Power (1991)

Severn Bridge (1992)

Student loans portfolios (1998, 1999, 2013)

The Stationery Office (1996)

Transport Research Laboratory (1996)

Trust Ports (1992–1997, ports sold individually)

2000s[edit]

Actis (2004, 2012)

BBC Books (2006 - 85%)

BBC Broadcast (2005)

BBC Costumes and Wigs (2008)

BBC Outside Broadcasts (2008)

BBC Technology (2004)

British Nuclear Fuels Limited

AWE Management Limited (2008)

BNG America (2007)

BNG Project Services (2008)

Reactor Sites Management Company (2007)

Westinghouse Electric Company (2006)

East Thames Buses (2009)

Leeds Bradford International Airport (2007)

National Air Traffic Services (2001 - 51%)

Newcastle Airport (2001 - 49%)

Partnerships UK (2000, 2011)

Qinetiq (2002, 2006, 2008)

South Eastern Trains (2006)

Teesside International Airport (2003 - 75%)

UKAEA Limited (2009)

2010s[edit]

BBC Audiobooks (2010 - 85%)

BBC Magazines (2011)

Behavioural Insights Team (2014 - 67%)

Bio Products Laboratory (2013 - 80%)

Fire Service College (2013)

High Speed 1 (2010)

Lloyds Banking Group (2013 - 6%)

Manchester Airports Group (2013 - 35%)

Northern Rock (2012)

Remploy (2012, 2013, factory businesses sold individually)

Royal Mail (2013 - 70%)

The Tote (2011)

East Coast Trains (2014)

Big pharmaceuticals is the one I would like to see brought 'in-house'.

Well, if for no other reason than to reduce the ridiculous licensing costs that people, including us, have to pay for drugs.

Their stance is basically "Can't afford the life-saving drugs we have? F**k you. Die."

Really? amazing how Thatcher managed to get huge sums for hundreds of sales.

British Petroleum (1977, 1979, 1981, 1987)

International Computers Limited (1979)

State Management Scheme (1973)

Thomas Cook (1972)

1980s[edit]

Amersham International (1982)

Associated British Ports (1983, 1984)

British Aerospace (1981, 1985)

British Airports Authority (1987)

British Airways (1987)

British Airways Helicopters (1986)

British Gas (1986)

British Leyland

Alvis (1981)

Coventry Climax (1982)

Danish Automobile Building (1987)

ISTEL (1987)

Jaguar (1984)

Leyland Bus (1987)

Leyland Tractors (1982)

Leyland Trucks (1987)

Rover Group (1988)

Unipart (1987)

British Rail Engineering Limited (1989)

British Shipbuilders (1985 - 1989, shipbuilder companies sold individually)

British Steel (1988)

British Sugar (1981)

British Telecom (1984, 1991, 1993)

British Transport Hotels (1983)

Britoil (1982, 1985)

Cable and Wireless (1981, 1983, 1985)

Council houses (1980–present, over two million sold to their tenants) - see main article Right to buy scheme

Enterprise Oil (1984)

Fairey (1980)

Ferranti (1982)

Harland and Wolff (1989)

Inmos (1984)

Municipal bus companies (1988–present, bus companies sold individually) - see main article Bus deregulation in Great Britain

National Bus Company (1986 - 1988, bus companies sold individually)

National Express (1988)

National Freight Corporation (1982)

Passenger transport executive bus companies (1988 - 1994, bus companies sold individually)

Rolls-Royce (1987)

Royal Ordnance (1987)

Sealink (1984)

Travellers Fare (1988)

Trustee Savings Bank (1985)

Vale of Rheidol Railway (1989)

Water companies - see main article Water privatisation in England and Wales

Anglian Water (1989)

Northumbrian Water (1989)

North West Water (1989)

Severn Trent (1989)

Southern Water (1989)

South West Water (1989)

Thames Water (1989)

Welsh Water (1989)

Wessex Water (1989)

Yorkshire Water (1989)

1990s[edit]

AEA Technology (1996)

Agricultural Development and Advisory Service (1997)

Belfast International Airport (1994)

Birmingham Airport (1993 - 51%)

Bournemouth Airport (1995)

Bristol Airport (1997, 2001)

British Coal (1994)

British Energy (1996)

British Rail - see main article Privatisation of British Rail

3 rolling stock companies

Angel Trains (1996)

Eversholt Leasing (1996)

Porterbrook (1996)

6 Design Office units (1995 - 1997, sold individually)

6 freight operating companies

Freightliner (1995)

Loadhaul (1996)

Mainline Freight (1996)

Rail Express Systems (1996)

Railfreight Distribution (1997)

Transrail Freight (1996)

6 track renewal units (1995 - 1997, sold individually)

7 infrastructure maintenance units (1995 - 1997, sold individually)

25 train operating companies (1996, operations contracted out as franchises)

British Rail Research (1996)

British Rail Telecommunications (1995)

European Passenger Services (1996)

Railtrack (1996), (18 October 2002 went into voluntary liquidation) now in public ownership as Network Rail

Red Star Parcels (1995)

Union Railways (1996)

British Technology Group (1992)

Building Research Establishment (1997)

Cardiff Airport (1995)

Central Electricity Generating Board

National Grid (1990)

National Power (1991, 1995)

Powergen (1991, 1995)

Chessington Computer Centre (1996)

Department for National Savings (1999, back office functions contracted out)

East Midlands Airport (1993)

Girobank (1990)

Humberside Airport (1999 - 82%)

Kingston Communications (1999, 2007)

Laboratory of the Government Chemist (1996)

Liverpool Airport (1990, 2001)

London Buses (1994, bus companies sold individually) - see main article Privatisation of London bus services

London Luton Airport (1997)

London Southend Airport (1993)

National Engineering Laboratory (1995)

National Transcommunications Limited (1990)

Natural Resources Institute (1996)

Northern Ireland Electricity (1993)

Property Services Agency (1994)

Regional electricity companies

Eastern Electricity (1990)

East Midlands Electricity (1990)

London Electricity (1990)

MANWEB (1990)

Midlands Electricity (1990)

Northern Electric (1990)

NORWEB (1990)

SEEBOARD (1990)

Southern Electric (1990)

SWALEC (1990)

SWEB Energy (1990)

Yorkshire Electricity (1990)

Scottish Bus Group (1991, bus companies sold individually)

Scottish Hydro-Electric (1991)

Scottish Power (1991)

Severn Bridge (1992)

Student loans portfolios (1998, 1999, 2013)

The Stationery Office (1996)

Transport Research Laboratory (1996)

Trust Ports (1992–1997, ports sold individually)

2000s[edit]

Actis (2004, 2012)

BBC Books (2006 - 85%)

BBC Broadcast (2005)

BBC Costumes and Wigs (2008)

BBC Outside Broadcasts (2008)

BBC Technology (2004)

British Nuclear Fuels Limited

AWE Management Limited (2008)

BNG America (2007)

BNG Project Services (2008)

Reactor Sites Management Company (2007)

Westinghouse Electric Company (2006)

East Thames Buses (2009)

Leeds Bradford International Airport (2007)

National Air Traffic Services (2001 - 51%)

Newcastle Airport (2001 - 49%)

Partnerships UK (2000, 2011)

Qinetiq (2002, 2006, 2008)

South Eastern Trains (2006)

Teesside International Airport (2003 - 75%)

UKAEA Limited (2009)

2010s[edit]

BBC Audiobooks (2010 - 85%)

BBC Magazines (2011)

Behavioural Insights Team (2014 - 67%)

Bio Products Laboratory (2013 - 80%)

Fire Service College (2013)

High Speed 1 (2010)

Lloyds Banking Group (2013 - 6%)

Manchester Airports Group (2013 - 35%)

Northern Rock (2012)

Remploy (2012, 2013, factory businesses sold individually)

Royal Mail (2013 - 70%)

The Tote (2011)

East Coast Trains (2014)

I'd like to know how many of them were run at a profit by the government. Good comprehensive list though.

I'd like to know how many of them were run at a profit by the government. Good comprehensive list though.

A lot were and a lot weren't. Thats doesnt mean they were more inefficient under public ownership though simply the mandate was different - ie 'run a public service' not 'run a business to make money from the public'.

That's what I mean.

Transport and utilities are easy to procure, not much different to buying anything else to be honest.

Transport and utilities are easy to procure, not much different to buying anything else to be honest.

Unbelievable Jeff; your transport worries are over.

Just pick a different train company than South West trains.

Way to miss the point, Sour Mash :D