General Election 2015

trousers

Stop asking me difficult questions. I just post random stuff that looks vaguely interesting. I'm not intellectual enough to come up with original and insightful thoughts of my own.

:)

Edited by trousers

It depends on how you define 'privatisation of NHS services'. Does this graph show / include non-clinical services such as catering, cleaning, maintenance, portering? Does it include using private hospitals (at no charge to the patient) for elective surgery in order to reduce waiting times?

Or does it solely show outsourcing of clinical services such as oncology, ophthalmology, orthopaedics?

Because the distinction is important.

A billion times this. What about purchasing pharmaceuticals and other supplies from the private sector... does that count? Or should the NHS make everything it uses too?

There is also a fairly significant difference between privatisation and outsourcing and I'm a bit surprised that they are being conflated in this manner.

So, what about Cameron and his no third term intention, repeating Blair's similar blunder. Seems to be a complete and bizarre own goal. Ignoring the presumption that he'll even get a second term, he appears to have kickstarted the search for the next Tory leader in a very public sense, even naming potential successors! Any Cameron second term will now be beset by whispers of when he will stand down to give the next person a decent run, and I can't see him lasting beyond c. 2017/18 now. Question is, would a potential successor then repeat Brown's mistake of no election?! Although this is all without stating that a Tory led government is at present no means a given, quite far from it really.

What worries me though is Theresa May. Whilst Cameron is generally a 'moderate' Tory, she is anything but. If she had had her way there would no Human Right's Act, a snoopers charter to spy on us all and a vague and conceived ban on 'extremists' speaking on university campuses. I'm quite worried that a person who seems to care so little for civil liberties could get the keys to number 10 via the backdoor route, and that seems to be what could happen now. Vote Cameron and end up with May.

So, what about Cameron and his no third term intention, repeating Blair's similar blunder. Seems to be a complete and bizarre own goal. Ignoring the presumption that he'll even get a second term, he appears to have kickstarted the search for the next Tory leader in a very public sense, even naming potential successors! Any Cameron second term will now be beset by whispers of when he will stand down to give the next person a decent run, and I can't see him lasting beyond c. 2017/18 now. Question is, would a potential successor then repeat Brown's mistake of no election?! Although this is all without stating that a Tory led government is at present no means a given, quite far from it really.

What worries me though is Theresa May. Whilst Cameron is generally a 'moderate' Tory, she is anything but. If she had had her way there would no Human Right's Act, a snoopers charter to spy on us all and a vague and conceived ban on 'extremists' speaking on university campuses. I'm quite worried that a person who seems to care so little for civil liberties could get the keys to number 10 via the backdoor route, and that seems to be what could happen now. Vote Cameron and end up with May.

Won't you be able to not vote for her party in a general election?

If she is so horrible, what is the worry??

Won't you be able to not vote for her party in a general election?

If she is so horrible, what is the worry??

That's brill. I didn't realise that young SaintAndy666 wielded that much political power. I was trundling along with the entirely false assumption that it would be the party able to return the most members from 650 seats that would have the best chances of forming a government.

SaintAndy666; can you get those files for please? You know the ones I mean. There's a lad.

Any Cameron second term will now be beset by whispers of when he will stand down to give the next person a decent run

Journos would have stoked up these "whispers" during the next term regardless of how Cameron answered the BBC's question yesterday. In fact, had he done what politicians usually do and avoid answering the question that would have given rise to even more speculation in due course. I thought you'd find it refreshing that a politician actually said what they were thinking rather than put up a smoke screen?

"Damned if they do...."

Anyway, it'll be Boris next rather than May so fret ye not :)

Edited by trousers

Journos would have stoked up these "whispers" during the next term regardless of how Cameron answered the BBC's question yesterday. In fact, had he done what politicians usually do and avoid answering the question that would have given rise to even more speculation in due course. I thought you'd find it refreshing that a politician actually said what they were thinking rather than put up a smoke screen?

"Damned if they do...."

Oh, it's certainly nice to know! Well done Dave there. But it is a strategic cock-up and comes across a tiny bit arrogant also. He should have just said 'I'm putting all my thoughts into getting a second term at the moment'. My point on the tories in general now is that if you vote Cameron, he will be gone by 2017/18 and whilst he is a relatively moderate Tory, he will most likely be replaced by a very unmoderate Tory who has attempted to introduce a series of very worry laws which infringe on civil liberties.

On Boris, I'm not so sure. He kind of peaked a few years back, and whilst he is popular with the public, I'm not so sure about his levels with the Tory party and whether they would vote for him enmass for the leader. He'll need to clear up his game a bit - show he is a bit more serious before any run, in my opinion anyways.

That's brill. I didn't realise that young SaintAndy666 wielded that much political power. I was trundling along with the entirely false assumption that it would be the party able to return the most members from 650 seats that would have the best chances of forming a government.

SaintAndy666; can you get those files for please? You know the ones I mean. There's a lad.

I sadly do not live in a marginal constituency, and my uni constituency is completely unmarginal also (though it is next door to a very marginal one, so that's quite exciting). But in terms of my vote, it'll have to be an on principle one!

"Damned if they do...."

We should have an 8 year max term. Its unhealthy for anyone to be PM longer and it would do away with the speculation.

Oh, it's certainly nice to know! Well done Dave there. But it is a strategic cock-up and comes across a tiny bit arrogant also. He should have just said 'I'm putting all my thoughts into getting a second term at the moment'. My point on the tories in general now is that if you vote Cameron, he will be gone by 2017/18 and whilst he is a relatively moderate Tory, he will most likely be replaced by a very unmoderate Tory who has attempted to introduce a series of very worry laws which infringe on civil liberties.

Politician in giving a straight answer to a question scandal! He just earned himself the floating bear votes :thumbup:

Haven't they fixed parliament to 5 year terms now?

It is fixed to 5 years - but that can be overturned by either a 2/3rds majority vote for an election. Or just a 'No confidence' vote by a simple majority, followed by 14 days in which another government can not be formed. 5 years is too long in my opinion, 4 would be better.

It is fixed to 5 years - but that can be overturned by either a 2/3rds majority vote for an election. Or just a 'No confidence' vote by a simple majority, followed by 14 days in which another government can not be formed. 5 years is too long in my opinion, 4 would be better.

Ok, so a better suggestion for tim would be 10 years. As in 2 full terms (as it is).

Ok, so a better suggestion for tim would be 10 years. As in 2 full terms (as it is).

But changing the party leader (ie the putative PM) at the same time as the election throws up problems of 'who is the new guy?' 'what will they do?. It might actually work better to have the PM on four year cycles and parliament on five.

Looking at it another way - if the new party leader was agreed 3-6 months before the general election, this would allow the incumbent PM to focus on "running the country" right up to the election date, whilst the new leader could focus entirely on the campaign.

Might also provide an advantage as voters like to vote for change (i.e. hoping for better), and a new leader would give some illusion of change even if main party policies are not affected.

Looking at it another way - if the new party leader was agreed 3-6 months before the general election, this would allow the incumbent PM to focus on "running the country" right up to the election date, whilst the new leader could focus entirely on the campaign.

Might also provide an advantage as voters like to vote for change (i.e. hoping for better), and a new leader would give some illusion of change even if main party policies are not affected.

I dont disagree with the logic - its just 10 years as PM is too long imo. You inevitably lose touch with reality - as was the case with Thatcher and Blair towards the end.

Edited by buctootim

If we had a presidential system, this could work. Even incumbent President has to be approved via primary system.

But changing the party leader (ie the putative PM) at the same time as the election throws up problems of 'who is the new guy?' 'what will they do?. It might actually work better to have the PM on four year cycles and parliament on five.

But you are voting for a local MP, not a party. We don't have a presidential system . The pm is the person who can command a majority in the commons, therefore if the torys want to change leaders they are fully entitled to, your mp will remain the same person. You cant start putting rules in place about how long someone can serve, if they command a majority they can serve for as long as they want. They step down because they realise theyll become an electrol liability , nothing else. Theyre all obsessed with how history will judge them.

The party leader may not even get elected to the commons ( certainly possible in cleggs case) , or even not be a member of the commons as in Bennett and Farage.

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

But you are voting for a local MP, not a party. We don't have a presidential system . The pm is the person who can command a majority in the commons, therefore if the torys want to change leaders they are fully entitled to, your mp will remain the same person. The party leader may not even get elected to the commons ( certainly possible in cleggs case) , or even not be a member of the commons as in Bennett and Farage.

That's the technical truth, but there's a tension there as politics has become increasingly about the leader and party as opposed to the individual MP. Likewise with Brown, if there is a change of PM, there would be a lot of clamour for another election so the people can feel like they endorsed them.

Cameron getting heckled by pensioners at Age UK.

[video=youtube;7zsi-g4JpvY]

I like the bit at the end where he tries to do a "deal" with them so they won't boo and jeer :)

Arficus maximus, as the Romans might* have said.

*I'm not confident.

That's the technical truth, but there's a tension there as politics has become increasingly about the leader and party as opposed to the individual MP. Likewise with Brown, if there is a change of PM, there would be a lot of clamour for another election so the people can feel like they endorsed them.

My point was in response to calls for a fixed term pm . It is not the job of the state to legislate for how long somebody can be leader of a party . It is up to the party members who their leader is and for how long they can lead the party .